View Full Version : PAUL VAN DYK @ Citywalk [monday night]

edcrunk
06-14-2009, 06:19 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/edcrunk/club%20kids%203/3307_1145382229897_1087746931_30434.jpg

Start Time:
Monday, June 15, 2009 at 9:00pm
End Time:
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 2:00am
Street:
70 N. Oklahoma, Bricktown
City/Town:
Oklahoma City, OK

jstanthrnme
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I wish I could go to this. I'm going to see DJ Sasha and John Digweed at Red Rocks Ampitheatre next month, and tonights show would get me properly excited for the show next month.

OKCisOK4me
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I'd love to go to this too but I don't get off until 8PM and I just spent a load of money this past Saturday for a friend's bachelor party!

MikeLucky
06-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Got home about 30 minutes ago.... it was amazing.....

Oh, and to the hottie with the white t-shirt and fantastic stomach who told me she loved me..... I love you too.....

:kicking:

metro
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
How was it? PVD is a great DJ. Too bad I was in AZ and missed it.

MikeLucky
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I was really looking forward to this show. I often joke that I am one of about 12 techno/dance music fans in the city. I personally trace back my love for the genre to an 80’s one hit wonder Shannon and her hit, “Let The Music Play.” But, due to lack of exposure, I wasn’t able to truly cultivate my love for this type of music until the last 10 years. Currently, one of my best friends is a dj and has also helped me to truly delve into techno, trance, electro, break beats, house etc. I’m sure edcrunk will probably chuckle at my musings about this show as this was my first “real” experience with one of the industry’s true heavyweights.

Obviously when I heard that Paul Van Dyk was coming to town I was floored. My best attempt at perspective on this is to compare it to U2 playing Owen Field. To this fan it was a very big night.

We arrived at 930 to Ed doing his thing. Next came Kelly Trance. Now, I have heard Kelly before at Sunday Posh in Citywalk, but those times she seemed a little bit uninspired. Not Monday night! She was really bringing it. John Bourke followed and was also fantastic. After this I told myself I DEFINITELY need to head over to Paralogia to check you guys out. I think I even spied edcrunk “cutting a rug” on the dance floor… :bow:

But, just about a quarter after 11 Paul Van Dyk took the booth. The “paul van dyk” sign lit up and the 4 video boards were rolling and it was nothing short of fantastic. The place was absolutely packed and roaring. It was pretty much what you see in the movies when they show a club scene in Miami or somewhere in Europe. The women were smoking hot, everybody was moving their bodies, and the music was booming.

PVD played a great set that was over 2 hours long. He obviously played a lot of his original stuff, but also threw in some others like the trance favorite “Zombie Nation” and the trance/house hybrid by Motorcycle, “As The Rush Comes.”

Overall the show was truly fantastic. I woke up the next morning with my ears still ringing and my thoughts still racing about the show. I had worried that OKC wouldn’t support this show to the extent it deserved, but personally I thought the fans really came through. I even noticed parts of the crowd that weren’t even really paying that much attention to the show. They were busy drinking, dancing, and just having a great time. That was an indicator to me that they were there just to take in the event and even that it was kind of one of those events that people just wanted to attend even if only to be “seen.” In my eyes that’s a good sign, and bodes well for the state of the dance/techno scene here in OKC.

Hopefully this isn’t a rare event for us fans here in OKC. But, either way, it definitely whetted my appetite for hitting up that list of must-see’s I have….

ATB
Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyk – done
Tiesto

My hope is maybe I can check off a couple more of these right here in my town…. (fingers crossed)

jstanthrnme
06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I saw Oakenfold about 5 or 6 years ago at Red Rocks Ampitheatre, and that experience changed my life. Go to the ends of the earth to see him. I also went the year before, and Tiesto was there, opening for the Crystal Method.

HSC-Sooner
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
ATB
Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyk – done
Tiesto

Not a fan of Armin van Buuren?

metro
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Wichita, you do know other big names have played here before right? I'm pretty sure there are a few more that I can't think of that should be apart of this list. I too would LOVEEEE to see Tiesto and Paul Oakenfold come to OKC!

* DJ Irene
* DJ Sammy
* Darude
* ATB (I believe)
* DJ Encore

bluedogok
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I still don't "get" the whole DJ thing, but then I guess that I am not the target demographic...but I am glad to see there is a variety of acts coming through town.

dismayed
06-18-2009, 09:47 PM
A couple years ago I saw Tiesto in Dallas at Club Liquid. I'd say that the van Dyk show here in OKC pretty much blew that one away.

FYI, some van Dyk fans told me that Sasha and John Digweed are going to be at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado next month.

jstanthrnme
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll be in attendance( as stated in post #2 )!!! Its gonna be on July 18th. Red Rocks is amazing. Truly the greatest venue in the world.

vjtk
06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
PvD live @ CityWalk with vjtrancekoder - Oklahoma City, OK 6-15-2009 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/5291523)