View Full Version : Who screams for Ice Cream?

rondvu
06-13-2009, 06:59 AM
We are familiar with Braum's for ice cream and now the market. I am wondering why all the Dairy Queens Something Different - Dairy Queen (http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/) have closed shop in the metro. I loved their Blizzards and Dilly Bars, yum yum :-). I believe there are a few of Baskin Robbins Baskin-Robbins Your Neighborhood Ice Cream Store (http://www.baskinrobbins.com/) left. The one's on NW 23 and Classen are now but just memories. Tastee Freez Tastee Freez (http://www.tastee-freez.com/about.php) was also great place to get some of the delicious stuff, but they too no longer exist. We also used to go to Kaiser's on 10th and Walker Vintage Oklahoma City - Kaiser's Ice Cream (http://www.dougloudenback.com/maps/vintage_kaisers.htm) and there short lived new location at Nichols Hills Plaza. It's where Mamasitas is now located. If you take down their sign on the south (NW 63rd) side I am sure the Kaiser's name is still there. Not to beat a dead horse, (see the end of Crossroads mall thread) but Crossroads had a Farrells Ice Cream store Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant (http://www.farrellsusa.com/) near Montgomery Ward. It was there when it opened, then it closed then it reopened again. I always thought that was odd.
Hope to hear your ice cream stories now that summer is almost here. You can even include your neighborhood ice cream man stories. Ding ding ding ding.

bluedogok
06-13-2009, 09:52 AM
The local franchisees have haunted DQ in the OKC area, that has been a constant. There have been several, the Dunn's in the 70-80's, Sooner DQ in the late 80-90's and I don't know who was the last franchisee that actually rebuilt some locations like the one by UCO in Edmond and the one in Midwest City in the 90's. We used to go to the one in Edmond for ice cream.

There are just too many other options in the market I guess, they aren't going to stay open on ice cream alone and the food at the OKC ones was always less than what it should have been and what it is down here in Texas where they are an institution in most small towns.

Generals64
06-13-2009, 11:54 AM
The local franchisees have haunted DQ in the OKC area, that has been a constant. There have been several, the Dunn's in the 70-80's, Sooner DQ in the late 80-90's and I don't know who was the last franchisee that actually rebuilt some locations like the one by UCO in Edmond and the one in Midwest City in the 90's. We used to go to the one in Edmond for ice cream.

There are just too many other options in the market I guess, they aren't going to stay open on ice cream alone and the food at the OKC ones was always less than what it should have been and what it is down here in Texas where they are an institution in most small towns.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Bluedog...stopped at the DQ in Sanger, Texas yesterday...Still don't like their food but, the Blizzard is the best.....

bluedogok
06-13-2009, 02:09 PM
We have one here in South Austin about a mile away (by street) so we get our Blizzard or Peanut Buster Parfait fix frequently, we occasionally will eat food there. We did have Culver's custard today after lunch.

Generals64
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
We have one here in South Austin about a mile away (by street) so we get our Blizzard or Peanut Buster Parfait fix frequently, we occasionally will eat food there. We did have Culver's custard today after lunch.
If you are ever coming up this way, stop at the 478 mile marker east side of I-35...Order a Blizzard and ask them to put some of the Chocolate Dipping chocolate in there.....Yee Haw....they charge 25 cents more but, it lasts longer....Man, whoever sarted this thread has to buy ice cream for the next meeting...I'm going to Crest Foods and get the makings for some homemade Ice Cream...Pure cream very little Milk......O.K., I'll probably be sick for the rest of the week-end....the lady General puts the old cheap cookies crumbled up in the mix.....You can't just eat one bowl....better go now.....

papaOU
06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
The dip cone was my families favorite. Only problem is that when they handed to my Mother she would bite the little curly q off of the top.
Few years ago I broke the chain since cones were handed to me first. Should have heard her scream.
The dip-cones were and are still my favorite.

Have to disagree with the food. Foot-long with cheese........nobody makes half as good.

nik4411
06-13-2009, 09:27 PM
One time my family and I were headed from Dallas to Lake Eufaula....I was pretty young and have no clue where we stopped, some small town, but it was a dark night with some nasty storms looming...tornado warnings were all around. We grabbed a couple dip cones, I love those things too, and took off. In the dark cab of the little ford ranger my dad started complaining that his cone was stale. After a few more bites he turned the light on and noticed he was eating the wrapper wrapped around the cone along with it and we had a good laugh about that.

I've really gotten into the whole frozen custard stuff lately.

bluedogok
06-13-2009, 09:38 PM
One time on the way from OKC to Denver (early 90's) we stopped at a DQ in a small town not too far across the Colorado-Kansas border, they had strawberry dipped cones as well as the chocolate. It was surprisingly good, that was the only one that I had ever seen it at.

papaOU
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Why has nobody come even close to making a dip-cone like D.Q.?

McDonald's was a real bust>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jsibelius
06-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Alas, this used to be true, but unfortunately Sonic seems to be driving them out of business. Over the past 10-15 years, I've taken a lot of road trips across Texas, and I've noticed more and more DQs disappearing from small town Texas. You can see the building and can tell it was a DQ, but is no more. At the same time, Sonic has become increasingly easier to find in many small towns in Texas. I don't fault Sonic for that - I assume their business model has kept up with current economic demands and DQ has not.

But I do miss Blizzards. Sonic doesn't do them quite as well. Sorry Sonic.

bluedogok
06-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah, there are Sonic's everywhere down here as well but I know in West Texas where my wife is from DQ is still pretty strong. It seems every decent size town (above a few 1,000 population) between Austin and West Texas has one, along with a Sonic and most have a Pizza Hut. My wife's hometown (Monahans) got their Sonic in the early 80's around the same time they got a McDonald's but the town has shrunk quite a bit since the oil boom days, they are too close to Odessa on I-20 and on the wrong side of Odessa. If they were between Midland-Odessa it would probably be a fairly thriving community.

I do know that DQ pushed a remodel on their franchisees recently and many opted to close rather than spend the money to do the remodel, so I guess they were marginal locations.

Steve
06-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Kaiser's ice cream is alive and well - the homemade goodness is still being made and sold at NW 10 and Walker in the historic Kaiser's building. It's now the Grateful Bean Cafe. But seriously, the ice cream is as good as ever.

Doug Loudenback
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Closest DQ that I know of is in Chickasha, about 4 blocks west of the County Courthouse. When I'm in Chickasha, it is a required stop just to get a DQ cone and love every lick of it!

Generals64
06-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I Think we ned to go to Kaiser's on one of our meeting days. I'm sure most of us have had Ice Cream there at one time or another...It's now called the Grateful Bean.....

bluedogok
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
You used to be able to buy pints of Kaiser's at Crescent Market as well. Good stuff.

Generals64
06-16-2009, 07:00 PM
You used to be able to buy pints of Kaiser's at Crescent Market as well. Good stuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must be a North Sider huh?.....I do know that there is a Drug Store with a counter over by Crescent Market that makes one great Hamburger....Been there???

bluedogok
06-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Yep, the only time that I lived south was the dorms at OU, until I moved to Dallas, mostly north of NW 122nd. The furthest south that I lived on my own was NW 50th & Independence before I moved down here to Austin. I grew up not too far north, the Hilldale area, NW 16th & Meridian. My parents still live in the same house they bought right before my second birthday.

Nichols Hill Drug had the soda fountain, good burger. I have no idea if they are still there as it has been about 15-20 years or so since I had one.

Generals64
06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Yep, the only time that I lived south was the dorms at OU, until I moved to Dallas, mostly north of NW 122nd. The furthest south that I lived on my own was NW 50th & Independence before I moved down here to Austin. I grew up not too far north, the Hilldale area, NW 16th & Meridian. My parents still live in the same house they bought right before my second birthday.

Nichols Hill Drug had the soda fountain, good burger. I have no idea if they are still there as it has been about 15-20 years or so since I had one.
They're still there and the burgers are just as good....some pretty good burger joints in your neck of the woods right now. I used to live in Hillsboro and we would go to the town of West, Texas for some good food.....

papaOU
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM

The Red River is the furthest boundary south. Once into TEXASS no longer a southsider.

:ou2 :ou :Smiley247

Generals64
06-16-2009, 07:40 PM
The Red River is the furthest boundary south. Once into TEXASS no longer a southsider.

:ou2 :ou :Smiley247

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For once you've come up with a good analogy....I lived in Texas 10 years...I haven't figured out why yet.....

papaOU
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For once you've come up with a good analogy....I lived in Texas 10 years...I haven't figured out why yet.....

Remember: If it were not for TEXASS we would be about two hours from the beach..............:ou2:ou

bluedogok
06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Remember: If it were not for TEXASS we would be about two hours from the beach..............:ou2:ou
Well, I am about 3 hours from the beach now....

We went to Port Aransas/Corpus Christi a couple of weekends ago with the in-laws in town and headed to Galveston for our anniversary in a couple of weekends.

We have been considering moving in the future, I told my wife the beach or the mountains. My old boss is in Kemah and with Houston close by the beach location was Galveston but my wife has decided she would rather move to the mountains. So Denver it will be, now it's just a question of when, we are both tired of the 100+ temps for 5 months a year.

Generals64
06-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Well, I am about 3 hours from the beach now....

We went to Port Aransas/Corpus Christi a couple of weekends ago with the in-laws in town and headed to Galveston for our anniversary in a couple of weekends.

We have been considering moving in the future, I told my wife the beach or the mountains. My old boss is in Kemah and with Houston close by the beach location was Galveston but my wife has decided she would rather move to the mountains. So Denver it will be, now it's just a question of when, we are both tired of the 100+ temps for 5 months a year.
================================================== ==============
I worked Hurricane IKE at Galveston, don't think the people were that friendly. Would like to move to Red River, New Mexico myself....Cold weather but it's kinda nice to curl up in front of the fire with the wife....I'm Not THAT old......

grantgeneral78
06-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Gawd I remember the old crank ice cream bucket...I hated that stupid thing!

Generals64
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digging through a bunch of "Junk" I found (box and all) an old electric maker works great.....I priced a new Crank Ice Cream Maker:.....$ 179.95....Pass...

papaOU
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Anyone under the age of 45 should have to "crank" at least one bucket start to finish.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Or sit on it to keep it from moving

Generals64
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I think we should go to the GRATEFUL BEAN....used to be Kaiser's Ice Cream....North side though....