View Full Version : Recommended iPhone apps?

OnlyinOK
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry if there's already a thread with this info...

I have an iPhone and have had it for awhile, but wanted to get your take on good or recommended iPhone apps.

I saw this site:
App Attack! Top 15 iPhone Apps Page 3 - by Digital Trends (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/guide/132-page-3/app-attack-top-15-iphone-apps)

that includes a list of the top 15, some free some not. I really prefer FREE (obviously!) but am willing to pay if it's worth it.

Any good 'Oklahoma' apps anyone's aware of?

Thanks!

menos
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
First of all... Jailbreak.....
Then you could be looking at things like cycorder, backgrounder, winterboard, sbsettings, etc. Way too many to list.

From the app store: Pandora, Google, Facebook, AIM, Flixster....

Do yourself a favor though and Jailbreak.....

stick47
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm on the prepaid plan with T-Moble for $100/yr for 1000 minutes which is twice as many minutes as I need so have no need for a $60/month IPhone but if someone were to give me an ITouch, the App I'd like to have is the accelerometer app. I think it's $15 but is supposed to be as accurate as the G-Tech Performance Meter that costs over $200. That one didn't make the Top 15 but not everyone is a performance enthusiast. Anyway, it's pretty cool that you can log 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 times with an IPhone or ITouch.

narrowexpanded
06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
i dont pay for apps either...i just got kfor app called go4it...an interesting mix of local news, sports, and weather...it has some issues but its the first build and hopefully will be upgraded.
tweetdeck for twitter (or twitterfon)
i can haz cheeseburger for comedy
darkroom is a barebones app that lets you tweek your iphone pics
papertoss is a fun little time waster
solitaire city for the obvious
all are free
and hopefully the lost ogle will grace the iphone with their presence soon?

metro
06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah Jailbreaking allows you to do more. I also recommend getting Cycorder so you can use it as a camcorder. It also seems to take better quality pics than the Apple installed Camera.

I also second TwitterFon, I like MxTube (You Tube clone, but you can download vids for later viewing). Flashlight comes in handy. A must have is the YouVersion bible, you can read the bible in TONS of different versions and languages for free. It was created by Oklahoma's own Lifechurch.tv. Shazam is okay. I like Newstand for reading blogs. Urbanspoon is a must have for foodies as is OpenTable. What's On is a neat app so you can see what's on tv, anytime, anywhere, I like the NY Times app for national news. Ihandy Level if you need to use a level, WeatherBug is nice because you can view radar, weather cams, and it has tons of weather readings (pressure, humidity, wind speed, rainfall, heat index, wind chill, dew point, etc.). Webcam is nice because you can view any webcam you can get an IP address for. I view all the city traffic cams on it, as well as Chesapeake Boathouse and other neat cams. Aqua Baller and Paper Football are two free games and fun to kill time.

Menos - how do you download the Cycorder videos to a PC? I'd like to download mine so I can edit and make movies.

menos
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Menos - how do you download the Cycorder videos to a PC? I'd like to download mine so I can edit and make movies.

First of all you will have to get SSH installed unto your phone. Once you've got SSH installed it just a simple mater of connecting to the phone via your FTP client of choice (I prefer Filezilla). The videos will be located in /var/media/videos (I think). The help file for cycorder has the exact location. I have no problems with the quality of the videos though the framerate can kinda chunk along at times. It seems to be way better than most camera phones I've ever used.

A note about SSH. The default is for SSH to always be started on reboot. This can cause a security problem as whenever you connect to wi-fi anybody can connect to your phone. I have the SSH toggle in SBSettings setup so I can easily disable SSH when I'm not using it.
There are theoretically ways to change the root password, but there have been reports of some serious problems doing that.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't know what you're into, but I have three apps on my Touch

Youversion Bible, Free: You can download pretty much any translation of the Bible, and have it with you.

MLB.com At Bat 2009, $9.99: You can listen to any baseball game you want with whatever broadcast you want. It has a lot of other features like in-game box score, video highlights, ect. Probably the best $9.99 I spent this year.

AOL Radio, Free: You can listen to all kinds of CBS radio stations from all over the country, and some stations have specific channels (Such as the Alt Country or All '80's stations). This is how I get to listen to Detroit Red Wings games at work. It does timeout a bit depending on where your wifi is though, but for the price (Did I mention free?) it's not a bad app.

OnlyinOK
06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions! I just got TweetDeck and LOVE it! Also, some of my favorite apps are: Facebook, Google (voice activated!), big oven, Topple, Sudoku, and handy level (this is great when you're hanging a picture and don't have an actual level)!

I will have to look into this Jailbreak app. Haven't heard of it before.

Have you all upgraded to 3.0? I will try to tonight. New iPhone is out tomorrow! I wish I could get one!

360-IM
06-18-2009, 01:31 PM
You might check out Kindle for iPhone....it's like having an Amazon Kindle but on your iPhone instead...so you can still buy the books from them but read them on your iPhone so you have one less thing to carry.

rod4soonrs
06-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know what you're into, but I have three apps on my Touch

Youversion Bible, Free: You can download pretty much any translation of the Bible, and have it with you.

MLB.com At Bat 2009, $9.99: You can listen to any baseball game you want with whatever broadcast you want. It has a lot of other features like in-game box score, video highlights, ect. Probably the best $9.99 I spent this year.

AOL Radio, Free: You can listen to all kinds of CBS radio stations from all over the country, and some stations have specific channels (Such as the Alt Country or All '80's stations). This is how I get to listen to Detroit Red Wings games at work. It does timeout a bit depending on where your wifi is though, but for the price (Did I mention free?) it's not a bad app.

MLB now has live games, 2 per day, must be out of blackout area.

Lord Helmet
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Lets see...

These are all on my first screen because I use them regularly:

Darkslide (flickr)
Pandora (probably use this the most)
Google
RSSPlayer
BeeJive IM
TwitterFon
Simplify Media

Others I use:

PhoneFlix (Netflix)
Flixster
Wordpress (so I can moderate my blog)
ESPN ScoreCenter
Amazon.com
COOP Ale Works
Ustream
iHandy Level
Puzzle Quest Chapters 1 and 2
Katamari Damacy
Vector Blaster
LightBike
Sol Free
LED Football 2
Tap Tap Revenge
Bejeweled 2
Topple
Crash Kart
Astro Tilt
Tap Defense
Shazam
USA Today
Speed Test
NY Times

Dang...I have quite a few apps :)

bluedogok
06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I have that as well, I am able to play the Red Sox or Rangers games and hook the iPhone to car stereo and listen to it in the car.

MLB now has live games, 2 per day, must be out of blackout area.
Are you talking about the MLB.tv video package? I got into a big back/forth with the Rangers and MLB about some Rangers games being blacked out on MLB Extra Innings because they were carried by a medium power station near Austin. I found out that all of Texas was considered a home market for both the Rangers and Astros. The worse part is Oklahoma is considered a "home market" for the Rangers, Astros, Royals and Cardinals so games could be blacked out involving any of those teams if if it isn't carried on FSN-SW or FSN-MW. Luckily the only Red Sox games blacked out are in the Saturday afternoon Fox exclusive window.

SiriusXM for the iPhone came out today if you have the premium internet service.

Hollywood
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
In lieu of posting all I use and/or recommend I've just posted screen shots. Of the Apps I have on the phone I use the following the most often;

RadarScope
AccuFuel
MLB At Bat 2009
mBox Mail
Facebook
Y!
Night Stand
iProcrastinate

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/zgxtreme_photos/photo5.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/zgxtreme_photos/photo4.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/zgxtreme_photos/photo3.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/zgxtreme_photos/photo2.jpg

rod4soonrs
06-19-2009, 07:18 AM
I have that as well, I am able to play the Red Sox or Rangers games and hook the iPhone to car stereo and listen to it in the car.

Are you talking about the MLB.tv video package? I got into a big back/forth with the Rangers and MLB about some Rangers games being blacked out on MLB Extra Innings because they were carried by a medium power station near Austin. I found out that all of Texas was considered a home market for both the Rangers and Astros. The worse part is Oklahoma is considered a "home market" for the Rangers, Astros, Royals and Cardinals so games could be blacked out involving any of those teams if if it isn't carried on FSN-SW or FSN-MW. Luckily the only Red Sox games blacked out are in the Saturday afternoon Fox exclusive window.

SiriusXM for the iPhone came out today if you have the premium internet service.

the mlb at bat app, now with version 3.0 has 2 live games/day with blackout restrictions, you have to download the new update of mlb at bat.

OnlyinOK
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Amazing! I really want to check those out!

This morning at the Apple Store - I heard about this promotion - they gave away cards with the info:
If you download the Share It Live app and upload a photo, you can be entered to win a new iPhone. shareitlive.com Pretty sweet!

Has anyone tried TweetDeck for the iPhone yet? I keep having trouble with mine. It's frustrating. I still like TweetDeck for my computer, though.