View Full Version : Letterman on Palin's 14 yr old Daughter

stick47
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Saying that while attending the game she got knocked up by A-Rod.

YouTube - Letterman on Sarah Palin's Daughter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5g8kE_g-YA)

Time for that Bozo to go the way of Dan Rather. Wasn't the Left all a-roar over the Don Imus thing? They seem fairly quiet on this topic.

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I care little for, or about, Palin. However, her kiddo's, any politico's minor kiddos for that matter, ought to be off limits.

Karried
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
"We were, as we often do, making jokes about people in the news and we made some jokes about Sarah Palin and her daughter, the 18-year-old girl, who is — her name is Bristol (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525800,00.html?mrp#), that’s right, and so, then, now they’re upset with me,"

Letterman said. "These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl. I mean, look at my record. It has never happened. I don’t think it’s funny. I would never think it was funny. I wouldn’t put it in a joke…"

HSC-Sooner
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I do agree that politicians' children (those under 18) should be offlimits from the media and jokes. No matter what side of the aisle you're on, whether you're joking about Republican children (http://www.conservatives4palin.com/2009/06/letterman-makes-another-sex-joke-about.html) or Democrat children (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/02/women.johnmccain).

All of those are particularly vicious.

DaveSkater
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Letterman is an idiot at best. I never did see why anyone would waste more than 30 seconds watching his stupid show.

Who cares what he say? Screw him (with an F).

BailJumper
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Ohhh Booo Hooo. The only thing wrong with the line was that it wasn't that funny. Don't blame comedians for throwing darts at family members. Palin knew she was dragging her whole family into the spotlight.

I do get a chuckle though out of the people who try to play Dave off as a buffoon, yet that 'buffoon' has done more with his life than anyone on this board.

stick47
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
yet that 'buffoon' has done more with his life than anyone on this board.

Yes he's become the biggest wiseazz on the planet! If only we had more idiots who respect that talent.

BailJumper
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I think you're just sore that, that 'wiseazz' is loved by millions and makes as much every year and you simply don't get it. Personally, I don't watch him. Not that I don't like him, but I'm not into late night talk shows and interviews with people I have no personal interest in.

stick47
06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
What I "Get" is that it's beneath decent people to stoop to the level Mr Wiseazz does to keep his moldy old career going. I also "get" that Ppl who have fun by, or in this case, earn their living by the expense of others are the worst. When the remarks are about a sexual relationship between a grown man and a 14 yr old girl, the line has been crossed and the wiseazz needs to bow out.

PennyQuilts
06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Kids should be off limits. Even if her mother was a terrorist, it isn't the child's fault.

Easy180
06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
We all know he was talking about the older one who got knocked up...Would have been best to make that more clear in the joke but let's all get realistic here

Bad joke and he apologized for it...Problem solved imo

PennyQuilts
06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Speaking as someone who got pregnant at 16, I am sure his comments and the hateful comments made by the public hurt her more than many of you can fathom. She is a human being and a young one. She was in a situation that was extremely difficult and she has done it out in the public at a time in her life that is very sensitive. It doesn't say much good about Letterman. He is a grown man - he has been around long enough to be able to recognize that what he said was really mean.

She messed up. She is paying the price. For a grown man to make her the brunt of a rude joke to entertain the haters, is disgusting.

And using Palin's alleged failings as an excuse to attack a young woman is morally bankrupt. Some women are so horrible they pimp out their own daughters - Johns who take advantage of the daughter on the basis that the mother is a horrible person is scummy. If Palin were a bad mom, it would be all the more appropriate for the rest of us to cut the kid some slack - not use it as an excuse to publically lynch her. This isn't about freedom of speech - it is about human decency.

drum4no1
06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I like Letterman, however his comments were in poor taste.

oneforone
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
David Letterman is proof that brothers and sisters should not sleep together. Only incest could create a man that is so stupid and so annoying

BailJumper
06-12-2009, 05:30 AM
When the remarks are about a sexual relationship between a grown man and a 14 yr old girl

Get your head out of your ass - he wasn't talking about the 14-year old.

stick47
06-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Get your head out of your ass - he wasn't talking about the 14-year old.

He said "one awkward moment at the game, in the 7th inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez".
FYI, Sarah Palin was at the game with her 14 yr old daughter. Not her older daughter.
It's plain to see who's head is up who's ass tho maybe yours is actually up Lettermans ass. No respectable person should be taking his side in this matter.

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
It doesn't really matter if it was the 14 year old or the 18 year old other than that it makes Letterman out to be scumier than he seemed to be at the onset. What a weasle. To try to excuse the comment as if the 18 year old was open season is on par with John Edwards excusing his affair because at the time his wife was in remission. So a fourteen year old is off limits but an eighteen year old who has been trying to make amends for past mistakes is open season? Way to encourage someone to turn their life around, buddy. What's next - are you going to go out and personally attack all the teen moms out there as sluts? Or is it just that her mom is a conservative and the daughter preaches abstinance, a birth control hated by the left?

Whatever he said, it was inappropriate and the language he used was demeaning.

Palin is calling for him to apologize to "women" for what he said. Speaking as a woman, I don't want an apology. People make stupid comments all the time and that one was really one of them. It wasn't funny and it was distasteful - even nasty. I'm not amused and I think less of Letterman for it. He ought to be falling all over himself in embarassment that he said such a thing. I think we can see where his head is at. But he doesn't owe ME an apology. But I won't be watching his show since he is really being class-less about it.

It is one thing to make jokes about people in general. It is another thing to make a joke about an individual, either the fourteen year old or the eighteen year old. That was below the belt.

While I don't deserve an apology, he sure should apologize to the kid - whomever he targeted. If Imus was big enough to admit that he said something mean to those female players - and he did - it wouldn't hurt Letterman to say that it was stupid and shouldn't have been said. And sincerely apologize. He was too busy being defensive to appear honestly contrite. It seemed to be more about making excuses and minimizing his exposure. He should have manned up, bowed his head and said I sincerely apologize. That would have been the end of it. He didn't show that class.

Letterman, without provocation, made this young woman (or young girl, depending on whether you believe Letterman or not) a subject of contempt by reducing her to something sexual and slutty at that. Too bad the feminists out there don't see fit to stand up for the dignity of this young female. I guess political party trumps all that. Now, they are just another special interest group that has lost sight of what inspired them in the first place. That is the kind of person he is. And that is what the feminist movement has turned into. If Bristol wasn't out touting a disfavored political position, i.e., abstenance, there is a chance that some of the feminists would show some class but like I said, politics trumps all that. Maybe some will quit being whores for the liberal left and speak up. We'll see.

possumfritter
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Letterman was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of line with thst one. I am sure he would not have any kind words for Palin if she has said anything like that about his son.

Each and everyone in here would have been just as upset as Palin had it been one of our children.

Stan Silliman
06-12-2009, 04:22 PM
And yet some righties defended Rush Limbaugh when, on his TV show, he called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".

Letterman didn't have his facts straight. He assumed (I expect it was one of his dozen writers who made the assumption) that the once pregnant 18-year-old had attended the ball game. Bad FACT checking.

Why hasn't anyone jumped on Letterman for inserting Alex Rodriquez into the joke? The joke makes it seem for 1) that A-Rod is loose with his zipper and that 2) A-Rod would be attracted to a Palin.

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree, calling her the White House Dog is terrible. It shouldn't have happened. It was rude and beneath what an adult should say about a young person.

gmwise
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I think NBC affiliate in okc should hear how unproductive it would be for their advertisers, if "dave" stays on the air here,btw how the hell is poker entertainment.
time for new dvds i guess..

ronronnie1
06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
OH get over it. People are starving around the world, yet everyone is upset because some bimbo from Alaska has a thin skin.

Whatever.

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
No kids, eh, Ronnie? You think this is about a thin skinned bimbo?

Just let me say thanks to you guys out there who recognize when someone crosses a line and aren't afraid to speak up for a young female. You're all my heros.

bluedogok
06-12-2009, 06:58 PM
And yet some righties defended Rush Limbaugh when, on his TV show, he called Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog".

Letterman didn't have his facts straight. He assumed (I expect it was one of his dozen writers who made the assumption) that the once pregnant 18-year-old had attended the ball game. Bad FACT checking.

Why hasn't anyone jumped on Letterman for inserting Alex Rodriquez into the joke? The joke makes it seem for 1) that A-Rod is loose with his zipper and that 2) A-Rod would be attracted to a Palin.
Well, it is pretty well known about A-Rod being rather amorous...but he is a divorced person now.

I just love all the mock outrage over some jokes. The mother put the family in the public realm, if she had just stayed as Governor of Alaska the jokes probably wouldn't have ever been thought up. They have also chosen to stay in the public realm doing talk shows and other public things since the election. When I first heard about it I assumed that all the talk was about Bristol because she has made herself into a person who is in the public realm and of age. If you continue to seek the spotlight, you have to deal with the price of being in the spotlight, part of that is jokes on late night television and uncomplimentary articles in the media.
I mean, let's talk about "poor Lindsay Lohan" and all the mean things they say about her :doh:

I think NBC affiliate in okc should hear how unproductive it would be for their advertisers, if "dave" stays on the air here,btw how the hell is poker entertainment.
time for new dvds i guess..
I don't think NBC would really care since The Late Show is on CBS.....talk about "fact checking".

stick47
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Someone could menton Lettermans out of wedlock offspring as well but that doesn't get brought up beacuse he's a Leftie Lib. Liberals are pros at the double standard thing.

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, he is a grown man on the out of wedlock thing.

I'm offended that he attacked a teenager, notwithstanding that some don't like the mother. Like I mentioned before, if she really is a crappy person/mother - all the more reason to be gentle with the kids. The girl didn't do anything to deserve that. Attack Mom if you don't like mom. It is not open season on the teens just because. Anyone who would do that is flat out mean.

All Letterman had to do was say he was wrong, didn't think through the joke and apologize. Hell, he even admitted that saying that about a fourteen your old would be wrong but started splitting hairs over an 18 year old. It wouldn't have killed him to be gracious/kind. He just wouldn't do it. Shame on him for not being a bigger man and putting kindness ahead of his pride/defensiveness. Wouldn't have cost him a cent to simply say the "joke" backfired and apologize to the young girl if it caused her embarassment. Wouldn't you do that if you smarted off about a neighbor's kid and everyone heard it? We all would. We'd be embarassed that we said something mean and apologize. He's human, he screwed up, admit it, apologize and stop acting like a jerk.

jstanthrnme
06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Sarah Palin should be kissing Letterman's butt for bringing her back into the news, and Letterman should apologize for THAT.

bluedogok
06-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Why is 14/18 splitting hairs? At 18 you can vote, enlist in the military, enter into legal agreements, get married, etc. It is the "traditional" age of adulthood. None of those are legal for a 14 year old to do without parental permission.

PennyQuilts
06-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Why is 14/18 splitting hairs? At 18 you can vote, enlist in the military, enter into legal agreements, get married, etc. It is the "traditional" age of adulthood. None of those are legal for a 14 year old to do without parental permission.

He is in his sixties and ought to be old enough to show civility to any teen. No need to drag either of them into the gutter. Legally, there is a difference, of course. But they are both still young and emotionally vulnerable. Certainly more so than someone, say, in their late twenties or thirties. Religion and the law are the last two refuges of scoundrels, as they say. There are plenty of funny things he can say without making degrading comments about a young woman.

Easy180
06-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Another reason the Alaska crew isn't fit for the White House...Take a tasteless joke from a Late Night comedian and try and make it about statutory rape....Way overboard in their response to this

A more seasoned politician would simply say it was truly tasteless and ask for an apology from Letterman

If this is how she and snow mobile dude react to jokes I would hate to see how they react to provocations from lovely gems such as Iran and N Korea

PennyQuilts
06-13-2009, 06:51 AM
A more seasoned politician would simply say it was truly tasteless and ask for an apology from Letterman

A classier grown man would have apologized before it reached that point.

Easy180
06-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Not very many classy comedians out there...Thankfully

gmwise
06-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't think NBC would really care since The Late Show is on CBS.....talk about "fact checking".[/QUOTE]

LOL well hell thats fer damn sure...oh hell they're all the same lol

venture
06-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Okay i'm going to ask a dumb question here...

Why is this in the Poll Vault? This obvious just another "don't let the facts get in our way" political bash the other side's opinion because my epeen is bigger than theirs.

Letterman is beating Conan in ratings now, and publicity helps. Yes the joke misfired, it happens. The crazy hack from Alaska needs to go back to serving her state as governor and stay out of the national spotlight. Yes...Letterman should have apologized earlier and at least made it clear he was talking the 18 year old. However, as a citizen, I would be appalled if Henry was on GMA or Today boohooing about a Late Night comic joke instead of worrying about more important things. Granted more important things may be to get as much media attention as possible...for both Letterman and Palin.

stick47
06-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Why is this in the Poll Vault?
B/C it was going to be a poll. I tired to post the poll but the board timed out twice. I gave up on the poll and just posted the facts of the event.
Moderator: Thanks for moving the thread to Current Events.

Edmond_Outsider
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Poor, poor pitiful Sarah. She's always the victim of the liberal "gotcha" hate machine.

What makes a person live in a state of perpetual fantasy persecution? Narcissistic Personality Disorder or just culture war politics. Maybe it's Narcissistic Culture War Political Disorder.

Dave gets particularly cutting when he does material about people he and Gerard Mulligan don't like. Political humor at it's harshest and occasionally funniest.

Luke
06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
As Stan said, a little fact checking on David's part could have avoided the mess. The 14-year-old was the one actually at the ballgame. Not the older sister.

Nevertheless, he can say what he wants. And everyone who wants to respond can respond.