View Full Version : Vacation spots

westsidesooner
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
We are constantly looking for someplace new to go on vacation. I was hoping some of you might share your experiences or make suggestions about places you've been or want to go to. We love the mountains so any advice or refrences to cool mountain or waterside cabins would be appreciated. Below are some of our favorites.

In Oklahoma we go to Broken bow Beavers Bend Cabins | Broken Bow Lake Cabins (http://www.brokenbowlakecabins.com/) and Lake Arbuckle.

In Colorado we usually go to the Vallecito/Durango area in the southwest part of the state. Usually staying at Elk Point Lodge. *ELK POINT LODGE* (http://www.elkpointlodge.com/) Wonderful place to go to escape the heat of an Oklahoma summer. Great fishing, hiking, and very very quiet. Great hosts too. (shout out to ...Jr & Lark)

Places on our wish list are Switzerland and the Amalfi coast of Italy. Amalfi Coast, Italy Pictures - Europe stock photos, fine art prints by QTL (http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/italy/amalfi-coast/amalfi-coast.html) But if I ever win the lottery I'm leavin ya'll and moving to Bora Bora. YouTube - St Regis Resort Bora Bora (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18mQTEbGAo) I was looking Bora Bora up on Google earth and it is amazing. Anyone been there? If you have google earth look it up then zoom all the way out. The entire planet (almost) is ocean from that perspective.

Talk about secluded:bow:.........and expensive:omg:

http://chiivy.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/bora-bora.jpg

PennyQuilts
06-10-2009, 05:02 AM
I love to go over to Taos in the summertime because the condos near the ski resort are super cheap and it is cool during the heat of the summer. Plus, the drive over is fun with the different types of land.

dalelakin
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I haven't been but I am interested in going to Palo Duro Canyon State Park just outside of Amarillo. Looks to be an interesting weekend trip. Has anyone been is it worthwhile?

PennyQuilts
06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
I camped there many, many years ago (about 25). Loved it. A big wind came roaring down the canyon in the middle of the night and it was erie and very scary. My kids thought it was ghosts. Perfect for a camping trip with kids!

A good friend visited last year and had a wonderful time.

westsidesooner
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I love to go over to Taos in the summertime because the condos near the ski resort are super cheap and it is cool during the heat of the summer. Plus, the drive over is fun with the different types of land.

I learned to ski at Taos!!! Not the easiest slope for a beginer. lol It is a nice drive once you get past Amarillo. We usually go through AMA to dalhart then Dumas and past Capulin Volcano. Capulin Volcano National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) (http://www.nps.gov/cavo/) Everytime we go past we say we're going to drive to the top but never seem to have the time. Its nice that Red River is only an 8 hour drive from OKC. That makes it very attractive when the temps here get over 100.

Oddly (since I like to storm chase) I've never been to Palo Duro Canyon. I'd love to go there in the spring sometime....Id imagine the summers there are brutal. Is there a lake or some water to swim in there???

PennyQuilts
06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I learned to ski at Taos!!! Not the easiest slope for a beginer. lol It is a nice drive once you get past Amarillo. We usually go through AMA to dalhart then Dumas and past Capulin Volcano. Capulin Volcano National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) (http://www.nps.gov/cavo/) Everytime we go past we say we're going to drive to the top but never seem to have the time. Its nice that Red River is only an 8 hour drive from OKC. That makes it very attractive when the temps here get over 100.

Oddly (since I like to storm chase) I've never been to Palo Duro Canyon. I'd love to go there in the spring sometime....Id imagine the summers there are brutal. Is there a lake or some water to swim in there???

I love the route you take to Taos - so different than what we are used to in Oklahoma. I also would like to drive to the top. On my list of things to do.

I am not sure about Palo Duro but it is a pretty cool thing, IMO. You're driving out on flat land as far as the eye can see and suddenly, the earth just drops away and there it is. I think it is really impressive. You should go see it. I will google it and look to see if there is a lake or creek. I'd think there would be since it is such a deep, stark canyon. I wonder what the rocks are made of - I need to check.

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Palo is pretty during the late afternoon. Haven't camped, and haven't taken in the production at the amp down inside. We just did a nice enjoyable drive through on our way back from a week conference/vacation at the Philmont Training Center, outside Cimarron NM.

Capulin is a simple short drive to the top, with a brief trail to its center, and a mile or so trail that rings the top. We've been there in mid aftenroon watching a rain storm come rolling our way, and the fams made an early morning post-breakfast hike once.

Two other nice and not terribly further on out places for nice visits are Royal Gorge and Pike's Peak in southern Colorado.

Though it's been decades since my knees wanted me to play, winter time at Wolf Creek (stay on the South Fork side of the divide, not Pagosa side, in southern Colorado used to be a fav as well.

nik4411
06-11-2009, 08:25 AM
If you ever get a chance, go and visit Scotland. You can spend 2 weeks there and see the whole country. Such a beautiful place.

westsidesooner
06-11-2009, 12:02 PM
If you ever get a chance, go and visit Scotland. You can spend 2 weeks there and see the whole country. Such a beautiful place.

I have family that lives in Edinburgh. (an aunt) Sadly we dont get along that well, but I would love to see the Scotland. Maybe I could sneak over and not let them know. lol

Kevin....why the east side of Wolf creek? We've been through Pagosa several times on our way to Vallecito. Not really secluded, but its not that bad. Just busy busy busy.

Do any of you ever use VRBO or Home Away?
VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com/)
HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes (http://www.homeaway.com/)
We started renting homes for our vacations, especially when we are going in a larger group of 2-3 couples or for family get togethers. It may seem expensive at first glance but if you can get a 3-4 bedroom, 2-3 bath home with full kitchen, dining, pool table, hot tub, fireplace, fully stocked kitchen (just bring your meat and veggies) and most important Laundry facilities. All this for less than $400 dollars a night (divided by 2-3 couples) it isnt that bad. Its very relaxing and theres room to spread out and no maid every day going through our stuff..''

Heres a couple we've stayed at before.

In Breckenridge: A 3600 sg ft log cabin: Breckenridge, Colorado vacation rental by owner: 4 bedroom House rental that sleeps 13. Quandary Peak Lodge - Stunning Luxury Log Home (http://www.vrbo.com/71359) and a virtual tour: VRBO is Vacation Rentals by Owner - Remember to come back (http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame.aspx?l=71359&k=1)

All this for $200 a night!!!!!! Try getting a hotel room (or 3) for that price.

In Vallecito: Vallecito Lake, Colorado vacation rental by owner: 4 bedroom House rental that sleeps 8. Secluded Mountain Meadow Home - Vallecito Lake, Durango (http://www.vrbo.com/8356)

Did I mention that many of these homes are pet friendly.....for those of us with seperation anxieties!!!

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
> Kevin....why the east side of Wolf creek? We've been through
> Pagosa several times ..... Just busy busy busy.

The last four words of the excerpt say it all. When I still had the knees to ski, I
was also very much still a small town chap. I loved South Fork for that very reason.
My folks has skied there, a lot, for a few years before I finally relented and joined them. I fell in love with the place.

We once rented a huge cabin home on the Pagosa side for a passle of us, and it was nice and all that, but it just wasn't as enjoyable an experience for me.

westsidesooner
06-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I understand completly. We always try to find a secluded area for our vacations for the peace and quiet. Vallecito is about 30 miles from Durango...close enough to get groceries or go out for the evening, but far enough away not to be seen or heard. And the cabin in Vallecito is on the quiet side of the lake all by itself. Even the cabin in Breckenridge we stayed at (above post) is several miles south of town, in the mountains near the Blue river.

Same reason I havent been to estes in a few years......love it but hate the crowds. I may have to try south fork soon. Thanks

nik4411
06-11-2009, 04:50 PM
oh yes Edinburgh is such a wonderful city, i loved visiting.

i lived on the northeast coast of Scotland and the north sea for 5 years when i was younger. the rich history, beauty and simplicity of the country is amazing. i always encourage people to go and see it.

drumsncode
06-11-2009, 06:09 PM
My favorite place is the Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, CO.

I like to go in late May before the holiday crowd hits. For me, a five day stay is required, just so I can visit all my favorite hikes. I have been about ten times and I never get tired of it. If you go in August it's just too hot; I like it crisp.

I always stay in a log cabin, a standard hotel just won't do! I've done MacGregor Mountain Lodge, the YMCA of the Rockies, Brynwood on the River, the Taharra Mountain Lodge, and others I can't think of right now.

Make sure you hike to Alberta Falls, that's a must, but there are a half-dozen great hikes, and dozens more that are more difficult and longer. Calypso Cascades is another nice one.

I think Emerald Lake was a great one, if I'm remembering the name correctly. And also, you have to drive to the top of Trail Ridge Road and see the view from the top of the Earth. It's amazing. Plus, the flora and fauna up there are very unique.

I like it cool, and when I went up there a few years back people were freezing, and I was standing there in the wind with a t-shirt and shorts, totally invigorated! (Hey, it's a dry cold!) ;-)

Now you've gone and made me homesick for Colorado, even though I'm from Oklahoma!

Easy180
06-11-2009, 07:55 PM
We are constantly looking for someplace new to go on vacation. I was hoping some of you might share your experiences or make suggestions about places you've been or want to go to. We love the mountains so any advice or refrences to cool mountain or waterside cabins would be appreciated. Below are some of our favorites.

In Oklahoma we go to Broken bow Beavers Bend Cabins | Broken Bow Lake Cabins (http://www.brokenbowlakecabins.com/) and Lake Arbuckle.

Headed there for the 1st time next month...Have a baby now so Mexico and Jamaica are out of the picture this year :numchucks

jstanthrnme
06-11-2009, 08:12 PM
My favorite place is the Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, CO.

I like to go in late May before the holiday crowd hits. For me, a five day stay is required, just so I can visit all my favorite hikes. I have been about ten times and I never get tired of it. If you go in August it's just too hot; I like it crisp.

I always stay in a log cabin, a standard hotel just won't do! I've done MacGregor Mountain Lodge, the YMCA of the Rockies, Brynwood on the River, the Taharra Mountain Lodge, and others I can't think of right now.

Make sure you hike to Alberta Falls, that's a must, but there are a half-dozen great hikes, and dozens more that are more difficult and longer. Calypso Cascades is another nice one.

I think Emerald Lake was a great one, if I'm remembering the name correctly. And also, you have to drive to the top of Trail Ridge Road and see the view from the top of the Earth. It's amazing. Plus, the flora and fauna up there are very unique.

I like it cool, and when I went up there a few years back people were freezing, and I was standing there in the wind with a t-shirt and shorts, totally invigorated! (Hey, it's a dry cold!) ;-)

Now you've gone and made me homesick for Colorado, even though I'm from Oklahoma!

I'm going there next month, and I'm really excited. Going on a 3 day backpacking trip on the west side. I've been there 4 times before and love it! I've never been on the Estes Park side, only to the Grand Lake side.

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 05:10 AM
My Grandparents had a place in Grand Lake and we spent a week in the summer, every year. Just loved it. We would make the Continental Divide hike over a several day period. Loved the cairns on top.

My son went last year and the pine beetles had destroyed much of the trees on the Grand Lake side. Google for some photos and you'll see the devastation. I wouldn't think the Bear Lake Side would be as affected since it is so much drier. I'm not a big Estes Park fan due to the crowds but that is all relative. If you are in to hiking, it is just so much fun anyway you go. We used to drive to that side to see the mountain sheep. Get hot chocolate at the lodge on TrailRidge Road. Brings back wonderful, fun memories.

As to Beavers Bend, - that may be the prettiest spot in Oklahoma. I prefer hiking in the Wichitas over the Eastern part of the state because the air is drier - I find the east hiking to be sticky llike the forests back east. But Beavers Bend is just lovely, in my opinion. Wish I was going, myself!

westsidesooner
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Estes Park was our family vacation spot when I was growing up. We always stayed at the Ponderosa Lodge. We stopped staying there after the huge flood back in the 70's(?) completely destroyed the lodge. We have been back several times since but havent really found a great place to stay thats close to the river and still secluded. Trail ridge road is awesome. The last trip there we went on the lawn lake trail, got to the top just in time for one of the famous summer afternoon thunderstorms. The tree line is not the place to be in a t-storm. And I wont go either unless I can stay for at least 5- 6 nights. The VRBO houses are much more expensive in Estes than they are in Breck during the summer because Estes is a summer destination while Breck has higher prices in the ski season. < why we went to summit county last trip.

Id love to go back to Estes this summer....I'll have to look online and see whats available. I've looked at the Y (like the seclusion there) before, how are their cabins?

The pine bark beetles have done alot of damage in Colorado. Last time we went to summit county in 2007 the damage was widespread. I remember seeing somewhere that they expect ALL the pine trees in Colorado to be destroyed within 5 years. Incredibly sad. The drought they've had for the last few years is a major factor in their spread. Not to be a downer but......Deaths of trees 'catastrophic' : Updates : The Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/15/beetle-infestation-get-much-worse/)

Not to be a bigger downer but Im afraid that summit county and rmnp are going to experience a major wildfire soon with all the dead trees around. Our other favorite colorado spot Vallecito was devestated by the Missionary ridge fire a few years ago. Its recovering now, and missed the cabin we usually stay in but it was really sad. The firefighters had told the residents to gather themselves and their belongings in the dry lake bed to escape the fire.

Then this happened YouTube - Fire Tornadoes from a forest fire(Part1:Fire Vortex appears) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFwzNNEuOSY)
While not really a tornado, the wind was strong enough to uproot trees and overturn cars.

MsDarkstar
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
It is a nice drive once you get past Amarillo. We usually go through AMA to dalhart then Dumas and past Capulin Volcano.

We go to Red River, NM alot - and always make a trip into Taos. Our route there still takes us through Dalhart & Dumas, but we skip Amarillo altogether. Saves about an hour total. Just take Loop 335. I believe it's the 2nd Exit once you get into what's considered Amarillo, so it's on the far Eastern edge of town, where the Love's is. Exit there & go North and it will eventually curve back to the West & you can get back on the main highway there...completely bypasses all the congested Amarillo traffic.

westsidesooner
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
All the reponses have been great, I'm really looking forward to my next trip to the mountains. And envious of jstanthrnme. Have fun.

Headed there for the 1st time next month...Have a baby now so Mexico and Jamaica are out of the picture this year :numchucks

You'll love it. Lots of cabins available to choose from and if you get the chance rent a canoe for a day. We went canoeing early one morning last time we were there and there was a real thick, real low ground fog over the river.....very surreal. We stayed at the "jem of the forest" cabin on the site I listed earlier. Its cool but next time I wanna be on the river.

We go to Red River, NM alot - and always make a trip into Taos. Our route there still takes us through Dalhart & Dumas, but we skip Amarillo altogether.

By the time we've seen the cadillac ranch, the giant cross, and mile upon mile of west Texas I'm actually kinda glad to get to Amarillo. Usually grab lunch there. When we go to Vallecito we continue west on I-40 to clines corners then cut up through santa fe. So Amarillo is the last view of civilization for a long long ......long time. lol :ohno:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/486858641_b576245a56.jpg

drumsncode
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
The secret to really enjoying Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park is to go earlier in May than the tourist season. Try going before Memorial Day and it feels like you just own the place.

I've been there during busy times --- it's not nearly as fun pushing your way around town in traffic or fighting the parking on the trails and all that. I used to go around May 19th-ish and beat all the crowds. You can even get better prices during that time just before they start to call it "Peak Season".

You also get wonderfully cooler temps. One risk you run is that if they've had a lot of snow, some of the trails will not be negotiable. It's fun to see the difference every few years. I've been during times when the snow was up to the top of the signs on normal trails. That's not for the faint of heart, and it would be dangerous if taking children.

Just don't ever forget: "The mountain doesn't care!"

That's a sign I saw once, warning you that nature doesn't give a darn who you are, it will take you out if you push your luck! :-) Don't hike over snow that runs over a stream, etc. Take enough water, clothing, and food to get you through a rough spot, and keep your boots dry!

Now darn it, all of you have got me craving a vacation! Heck, I'd be happy just to go to Santa Fe and hang out for a day and eat hot Mexican food and soak up all the art!

Luke
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
There are a couple of great cabins in southeastern Oklahoma right on top of a mountain. One's called the Sunrise Cabin, the other is the Sunset Cabin. Absolutely stunning views that feel so out of place for what we're used to here in central Oklahoma.

Strange name but, just gorgeous...

Peckerwood Knob, Oklahoma Cabins in Eastern Oklahoma, in the Kiamichi Mountains. (http://www.peckerwoodknob.com/)

It's averages about ten degrees cooler up on top of the mountain. Highly recommended.

kevinpate
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
If you're going into NE NM, and it's not icy winter time for the trip, I have a route that's not the norm, but I really enjoy.

Blow across the TX panhandle into NM on I-40. Turn North at San Jon (marker 356) and follow 39 NNW until you reach US 412, or you can peel off earlier and go over to I-25 at Wagon Mound

A beautiful drive, low traffic, some excellent solitude as you drink in the scenery

nik4411
06-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Here are some more cabins, over in the Ozarks of Arkansas, near Jasper and the buffalo river. Ive stayed there before and they are amazing. Beautiful cedar log cabins. Very nice inside, and what a magnificent view they have from their decks. I highly recommend the area. Lots of great hiking. This is the area where the elk have been reintroduced to the valley and freely roam all over. Watch out for the bear too.

http://www.ozarkbluffdwellers.com/ (http://www.ozarkbluffdwellers.com/)

westsidesooner
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
There are a couple of great cabins in southeastern Oklahoma right on top of a mountain. One's called the Sunrise Cabin, the other is the Sunset Cabin. Absolutely stunning views that feel so out of place for what we're used to here in central Oklahoma.

Strange name but, just gorgeous...

Nice cabins. They're named after a woodpecker. A really really big woodpecker. The peckerwood site said they are crow size.....I bet they could do some damage...beautiful birds though

Woodpeckers (http://www.peckerwoodknob.com/Activities/Woodpeckers/woodpeckers.html)

Blow across the TX panhandle into NM on I-40. Turn North at San Jon (marker 356) and follow 39 NNW until you reach US 412, or you can peel off earlier and go over to I-25 at Wagon Mound

A beautiful drive, low traffic, some excellent solitude as you drink in the scenery

I'll try that route next time. As I mentioned earlier we usually go as far west as clines corners then north. Im not usually a desert loving guy, but you're right. The scenery and isolation are breathtaking out there.

Here are some more cabins, over in the Ozarks of Arkansas, near Jasper and the buffalo river......... Watch out for the bear too.

Ozark Bluff Dwellers Log Cabin rentals overlooking the Buffalo National River in the Ozark Mountains of northwest Arkansas. (http://www.ozarkbluffdwellers.com/)

Those cabins look perfect. I'm really looking for the rustic feel those seem to have. All the wood is beautiful. If you saw my post in the spring thread
you'll know we love bears too.

Thanks everyone!!

westsidesooner
06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Thought Id add a couple more of my favorite vacation spots that I left out of the earlier posts.

Voyageurs National Park and Rainy Lake/Intl. falls in Minnesota Voyageurs National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (http://www.nps.gov/voya/) Best canoeing in the country.

And Grand Teton National Park. Jenny Lake is one of the most beautiful spots in the US. Great camping, great trails....try cascade canyon trail, its a beautiful yet semi-difficult trail that starts with a ferry ride across Jenny lake. I had a standoff with a very ornery Moose on this hike....so give them lots of space.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kPGBfrKEn9E/SLnncX1WaVI/AAAAAAAAJcQ/r9D3Bn8tN6I/DSC_4557.jpg