View Full Version : J. Alba Raising Awareness for Sharks

jstanthrnme
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
This is the topic of the day on The Lost Ogle (The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/)), and I thought it would make for an interesting thread here.

http://thisiswhitey.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/10.jpg?w=500&h=375

That is Jessica Alba plastering posters of Great White Sharks at Stage Center downtown. While a pretty unique "awareness" campaign, I'm not sure Oklahomans are really the best target for it.

Check out thelostogle.com for some other pictures.

FritterGirl
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Ironically, the actress hit mostly theatre / entertainment venues!

Electric boxes at the following all got hit:
Civic Center
Stage Center
Cox Convention Center
Ford Center

Also hit a bridge or two near Bricktown, and a billboard, according to the blog.

Posters from Civic Center, Stage Center, Cox Center were all removed Friday.

To me, THIS (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06/08/danson.oceans/index.html) article is more telling.

metro
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Interesting. I saw several of those last week when attending the Red Earth parade. I thought they were quite neat and had something to do with either an art/conservation cause or an upcoming show to the COX/Ford center. I wish the city would have kept them up, as they are much better looking than the ugly metal boxes. We need more public art such as this.

veritas
06-08-2009, 11:17 AM
While I don't agree with her views I would be more than willing to let her try and convince me over dinner and drinks. You know, for the academic debate and all.

DaveSkater
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
weird....er ah I mean word!

BPD
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Graffiti is still graffiti even if you agree with the cause, and even if the "artist" is a celeb. She needs to spend a night in jail.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I would punch whoever would actually put Jessica Alba in jail for putting some posters on a metal box

TaoMaas
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
She needs to spend a night in jail.

I think house arrest would be sufficient. In fact, I'll even volunteer my house for her confinement.

kevinpate
06-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Almost makes ya wanna be a shark, just so you can wear a
"I got plastered with Jessica Alba last night" t-shirt

HSC-Sooner
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I think house arrest would be sufficient. In fact, I'll even volunteer my house for her confinement.

;-)

20 hours of 'community' work eh?

the_Mont
06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I would love to get one of those posters. I think this sort of thing is so "out there" that it's cool.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I would love to get one of those posters. I think this sort of thing is so "out there" that it's cool.

Yeah gotta agree. I mean, with the exception of the United Way billboard, that was very uncool. But other than that, I don't see why everyone's so mad, its kind of a nice poster.

Would people be less pissed if it wasn't supposedly to "raise awareness"? Cause if it wasn't publicly known that she was doing it for this purpose, I'd have never figured it out...just thought she liked shark posters. Maybe if she spiced it up like put up posters with different sharks with strange colors and shapes.

And who says we don't have sharks in OK. Don't forget the 2007 floods:

http://www.homosassa-redfishing.com/images/Homosassa-landshark.jpg

Midtowner
06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Isn't that above picture from France? That looks like a French license plate.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
France? Oh goodness. Well..I mean...it could happen anywhere right? Just one more compelling reason not to drive your car into a flooded area.

ultimatesooner
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
saw another article that said she covered up a united way sign. They should give her a bonus for covering up an advertisement for that joke of a "charity"

bigjkt405
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
quite hilarious since I know the guy whose UW picture got covered.....

metro
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
OKC on TMZ coming soonnnn

so1rfan
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe to promote awareness of her cause we could get a bunch of fiberglass sharks to have artists paint up and put all over town?

bluedogok
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
saw another article that said she covered up a united way sign. They should give her a bonus for covering up an advertisement for that joke of a "charity"
There are two types of "non-profit" charities, "working" non-profits and "fundraising" non-profits.

My wife works for a small non-profit (with a national affiliation) and their yearly budget is much less than what the executive pay for a local affiliate would be in a year. They are reconsidering their national affiliation, they get nothing from them and have to pay a percentage to national if they use their name in any fund raising capacity. That is how most of the large "fund raising" non-profits operate, a donation to the national organization rarely (if ever) gets to the local agencies. If you are going to make a donation, send it to the local office.

PennyQuilts
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
On the one hand, I am just grateful that her idiocy doesn't involve appearing in public without panties or shaving her head.

On the other hand, it is still idiocy.

At least she apologized. She needs to pay to clean stuff up. She is too old to not have any better judgment than that. It was rude to go to someone else's community and vandalize it.

And you panting guys are pathetic. <vbg>

kevinpate
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Maybe to promote awareness of her cause we could get a bunch of fiberglass sharks to have artists paint up and put all over town?

With apologies to Larry ...
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

kevinpate
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
> And you panting guys are pathetic. <vbg>

Not sure some of my fellow Alba admirers were panting. depanting perhaps.

nighttrain12
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Posting 'blurry' pictures of Jessica Alba should be a crime. C'mon fellas, lets show our states' esteemed visitor more respect than that.

http://gallery.celebritypro.com/data/media/41/jessica_alba_108.jpg

Midtowner
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
On the one hand, I am just grateful that her idiocy doesn't involve appearing in public without panties or shaving her head.

Blasphemy. These acts would have put OKC on the map!

(sad, but true!)

possumfritter
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Hate to spoil the party, but I can't help but wonder what the public response would have been had this been a 14 year old African-American boy from OKC.

I doubt NewsOK/The Oklahoman would have spent the time broadcasting themselves slobering all over the place just because it's Jessica Alba.

nighttrain12
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Hate to spoil the party, but I can't help but wonder what the public response would have been had this been a 14 year old African-American boy from OKC.

I doubt NewsOK/The Oklahoman would have spent the time broadcasting themselves slobering all over the place just because it's Jessica Alba.

Ummm, yes, newspapers cover the actions of celebrities more than non-celebrities. So what. I would also say Jessica is totally embarrassed by this whole thing because millions of people are laughing (& drooling) AT her now.

Just to get this thread back on track, here's another crystal clear picture of her!

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/Al_3x07/jessica-alba-1.jpg

possumfritter
06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
If I were a teenager today I imagine I would have her poster plastered all over my room...I had Farah and Chris Evert on my walls.

My apologies if I interrupted your...uh..."daydreaming."

BBatesokc
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
While going to the cop shop this morning I passed some city workers cleaning up after Jessica Alba's little 'Save the Sharks' antics.

The worker told me it takes 1-2 hours for a two man crew to remove each poster because of the glue used to stick them up. Now times that by however many posters and the total resources it takes the city and you've got some wasted tax dollars I personally think Alba should have to write a check for.

I'm all for activism, but it needs to be within the law. One person's 'cool poster' is another's eyesore and vandalism.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30498713&l=05dcb2b7aa&id=1283820411

OKCisOK4me
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't see what the big deal is and actually agree with Lil Wayne--a lot better looking than some plain metal boxes. Why get in a frizzy about it? I'll let her plaster her posters all over me!

possumfritter
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't see what the big deal is... Why get in a frizzy about it? I'll let her plaster her posters all over...

Miss Jessica Alba,

OKCisOK4me says you can come over to his place and plaster your posters all over the outside of his house.

nighttrain12
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I was listening to Ryan Seacrest today hosting a radio music show and he mentioned this in a mocking tone towards her. Lets just say she is becoming a bigger laughing stock than Sanjaya from American Idol.

possumfritter
06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I just can't believe how much PR this has created...it's unbelievable. Folks in India, the United Kingdom and New Zealand all have their maps out trying to find OKC. Maybe this will turn out okay for OKC in tourism dollars this Summer.

metro
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I've since learned that the City doesn't even own those utility boxes, they are OG&E property. If so then shouldn't we the taxpayers be more concerned about why we are spending tax money to remove the posters from OG&E property? Shouldn't OG&E be removing them if they were too concerned about it? Ironically, neither OG&E nor United Way is pressing charges (the victims), yet the City is concidering pressing charges. OKC way to take two steps back.....we're major league crybabies on this one.

oneforone
06-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Look at this way.... how would people feel if Wal-Mart sent their employees out to post their sales flyers all over the city as Miss Alba did.

Why not? it is the same thing. They want raise awareness for their sales on ladies apparel and outdoor furniture.

Honestly she should have used her head. She has money and she could have made the same statement by holding press confrence, a charity dinner or she could have bought billboard space.

Then again there are some people in this world that have no concept of the value of a dollar. They think it is fun to alter or deface property that does not belong to them. They have never busted thier ass to earn the money to pay for something and have some jerk deface it. They explain their actions under the guise of spreading awareness of some worthy cause or half baked motivation. When in reality they did it just because they could not pull their head out of their ass long enough to find something else better do.

I wonder how she would feel if we sent a bunch of drunk OU fans to her house to super glue Bob Stoops posters all over her car, house and anything else she may have that is valuable. I bet she would be pretty p----d about it.

possumfritter
06-11-2009, 10:23 AM
...I wonder how she would feel if we sent a bunch of drunk OU fans to her house to super glue Bob Stoops posters all over her car, house...

Uh-oh...is Bob Stoops on the endangered speices list now?

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Based on metro's report, which rings rather true when you think on it, isn't it hysterical that the city is out cleaning up OGE property, but folks seem to remain more ticked at Alba's stunt.

If OGE isn't pressing charges for something done to their property, I'm done with it, in a big way. As I live outside OKC, I'm quite content to leave the citizens to their own actions or inactions on the city clearing the private property of OGE.

Was the city even asked to step in, or did they leap without looking or thinking or anything?

I'd care more, but most of my expenses are purchased in Norman and Moore, so I just don't drop enough pennies in OKC to get too riled up on how city tax dollars are expended.

BailJumper
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Why is it a big deal if the city is cleaning up OGE's property? The money comes from the vandalism budget. The same budget and crews that paint over graffiti on private property all the time.

dismayed
06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I've since learned that the City doesn't even own those utility boxes, they are OG&E property. If so then shouldn't we the taxpayers be more concerned about why we are spending tax money to remove the posters from OG&E property? Shouldn't OG&E be removing them if they were too concerned about it? Ironically, neither OG&E nor United Way is pressing charges (the victims), yet the City is concidering pressing charges. OKC way to take two steps back.....we're major league crybabies on this one.

Agree 1000000%.

oneforone
06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
The only thing major league about OKC is that many of the people have become major league wannabes and major league sell outs. We need to change our city slogan to "We will do anything you want.... if you promise to like us."

I get so tired of hearing about everybody whining about why people outside of OKC do not like us. If you hate Oklahoma that much pack a bag and leave. There are plenty of Intrestates, highways, airports and a joke of a train that will get you out of Oklahoma in just a few hours.

nighttrain12
06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
We interupt this debate for a very important announcement:

Jessica Alba is hot as hell!

http://hornyoyster.com/images/jessica_alba_vs2_1.jpg

PennyQuilts
06-12-2009, 05:00 AM
She looks fat in those fishnets...

BailJumper
06-12-2009, 05:27 AM
She looks fat in those fishnets...

Riiiigggggghhhhht. (don't think so)