View Full Version : Who here does health insurance?

OKCisOK4me
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm just trying to get a feel for this cause I'm having to take over my coverage (payments wise) and I called BCBS to get estimates on coverages either Health Check Select or Health Check Basic & either/or it's DOWN RIGHT EXPENSIVE. Thanks parents but I told them I would rather die or start smoking again to actually get something out of it. I know that in the long run that it could come in very handy or even if I were to get into a car accident--that of which I can not predict. My question is what is your feeling toward it. Is it worth it for what it costs? Example: Health Check Select $1,500 deductible is roughly $180/month for single coverage; Health Check Basic $1,000 deductible is roughly $140/month for single coverage.

I figure a lot of peeps on here are married so coverage is going to vary or their parents are paying for them. If you happen to be paying for yourself or not paying at all, let me know what your experience is. I'm pretty healthy myself and just really don't see the need for it, other than for that future car accident with injury that may or may never come into play--or some other freak accident.

Thanks for any replies!

Karried
06-03-2009, 04:54 PM
It's been a horrible problem for us ever since we became self employed a few years ago.

We are a family of four and pay close to $400 a month for Zero, Zip .... only catastrophic coverage in the event of an emergency or a serious illness or surgery.

Huge deductible with no Doctor's visits.

Thankfully, we are healthy but it kills me to send that check each month. I've felt like we are just throwing away money for years.

But, I guess it could be worse, we could not have insurance and have one of the kids come down with Leukemia or something. I'm just thankful we have the money to have some coverage but wish it was much different...

I'd like much more preventative care to be included... now everything is out of pocket.

I'm always looking for promotions through various hospitals ie Free Screenings for Cancer or Heart Scans etc etc.... please post if you know of anything.