View Full Version : Midwest City/Bricktown commuter rail

urbanity
06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
A proposed passenger rail line between Midwest City and Bricktown may be gaining steam.

Proposed passenger rail line between Midwest City, Bricktown gains steam | OKG Scene.com (http://tinyurl.com/qrtzsc)

metro
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
good to hear it's still moving forward

warreng88
06-03-2009, 09:26 AM
It seems like the next logical step is to do OKC/Norman line and build a multi-modal station connecting the two with area for an Edmond/OKC and El Reno/OKC line in the future.

TaoMaas
06-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I think I would use this commuter rail-line. I was watching a story on tv that said gasoline might double or triple in price by 2015. Even though my car gets 30mpg, if I have to pay $9/gal for gas, I'm going to be looking at ways of reducing that particular strain on my budget.

swilki
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I have only one concern about this project, although the cost would be cheaper to make this the first operational route, should it really be the first one? I feel like a route from Edmond to downtown or Norman to downtown would get more ridership and wouldn't fail because of the lack of ridership. If the first project fails, it could be a giant setback for any hope of future expansion. The first route needs to be a massive success. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like there are more commuters from Norman and Edmond then Midwest City and Del City into Downtown OKC.

warreng88
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I have only one concern about this project, although the cost would be cheaper to make this the first operational route, should it really be the first one?

Swilki, it has nothing to do with ridership and it has everything to do with the lines and the right of way being state owned.

If you read the article under "The Midwest City Line" it says:

"Why this particular line could be a big player in an initial round of rail operation is because much of the infrastructure is already in place." So the lines are there, there is a convenient place for the landing, etc, whereas Norman and Edmond, new lines might have to be laid, areas cleared for passing, landing and parking.

"Although some refurbishing would be necessary in order to allow the passenger cars to operate, the state already owns most of the right-of-way."
This makes it easier to establish the line as opposed to getting the right of way from Union Pacific or having to lay entirely new commuter rail tracks.

To paraphrase... It's cheaper.

metro
06-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I have only one concern about this project, although the cost would be cheaper to make this the first operational route, should it really be the first one? I feel like a route from Edmond to downtown or Norman to downtown would get more ridership and wouldn't fail because of the lack of ridership. If the first project fails, it could be a giant setback for any hope of future expansion. The first route needs to be a massive success. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like there are more commuters from Norman and Edmond then Midwest City and Del City into Downtown OKC.

Here we go again.......

sethsrott
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Can we PLEASE lock this thread before it too gets out of hand...Devon Tower, Union Station, Mass Transit Announcement just to name a few threads that should laid to rest after a proper funeral...please don't allow this to turn into one of those...how many times can we rehash these same points, on which no one will ever concede?

soonerguru
06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Why lock the thread? This is a different project than the others in the aforementioned threads.

CuatrodeMayo
06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Not to pull a Metro, but hasn't this been debated to death before?

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15492-465-million-aid-oklahoma-includes-lightrail.html

sethsrott
06-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you Cuatrode! I knew we had discussed it, and my point was that I didn't want to rehash what we had discussed in that thread...

EBAH
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
As a former resident of Midwest City (I was born there and lived there for MANY years) I think this is great. It is a suburb with a lot of potential and a quickly growing population on it's east side. Also, the part of me that just wants to see transit rail not only begin, but succeed, thinks this is a great idea too. I think the point is to get moving. This is an opportunity to get a functional commuter line in place at a bargain price and on a reasonable time table. I think that any city with a current rail system would agree. Once you have 1 line up and running, and providing benefit to the citizens of the metro area, it makes it WAY easier to get others up and running. I think it could do a lot to reinvigorate the Mid/Del economy and maybe even open up some of the jobs at Tinker to inner city OKC residents.

kevinpate
06-04-2009, 03:25 PM
oh fiddlesticks. If one doesn't want to see the thoughts of others on a topic, just don't read a particular thread. Locking a just started thread borders on the silly. ot everyone has been here ages, and even some who have don't have a clear grasp of finding old threads.

The world won't end if some folks seek out new life thoughts, even if they do boldly go where others have gone before.

Urban Pioneer
06-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Quite frankly, we were discussing this subject on the "mass transit announcement thread". I think the two ought to be merged. Also, I have received many inquiries about the "MTP blog" that isn't up. The very studious dialogue on OKC Talk is incredibly impressive. Many of you conduct a thoughtful debate that cannot be compared elsewhere. Therefore, after discussing it with the administrator, we were planning to link our blog button to the thread. Perhaps OKC Talk will gain new people with new/more perspectives that way for further debate and dialogue. Plus, I can assure you that there will be more announcements and meaningful content.

Luke
06-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Anyone got a map of where exactly these rail lines are?

warreng88
06-05-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't Luke. But if you go to googlemaps and look for the intersection of SE 15th and Midwest Blvd, there is a train line north of that. Follow it into Bricktown.

Are they going to tear down the Stewart Metal buildings and build the train stop there? That would seem like the most logical location.

urbanity
06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
A map is printed in this week's Oklahoma Gazette.

GreenSooner
06-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't Luke. But if you go to googlemaps and look for the intersection of SE 15th and Midwest Blvd, there is a train line north of that. Follow it into Bricktown.

Are they going to tear down the Stewart Metal buildings and build the train stop there? That would seem like the most logical location.

The article says the northwest corner of SE 15th and Midwest Blvd. For commuters to downtown/Bricktown, they need to pick a spot where they can put a park and ride lot.

usmbubba
06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Actually there are 2 locations for a station and parking. On the east side of Midwest, the is the Mikeman Plumbing (which I believe is just used for storage) is right on the rail line and extends all the way back to the industrial park. Also if you follow the rail line across 15th, it goes into the Glenwood area (which is owned by Tinker) there is plenty of land there for a station and unlimited parking and easy access from 15th St.

OKCisOK4me
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
A map is printed in this week's Oklahoma Gazette.

Is there an online link? Or is it only available in this week's printed edition?

urbanity
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Online link:
http://www.okgazette.com/images/bricktown_to_midwest_city.jpg