View Full Version : Donate Books sheds around town

flippity
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know who owns these? I had a big box of books I needed to get rid of, and saw the blue "Donate Books" sheds around town..a friend of mine that works for the library told me they are not a non-profit organization, but a business taking donated books and selling them..anyone know about these?

metro
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to comment on this topic. First off I'm wondering if people are putting these up legally, secondly they accumulate trash like no ones business. The one by Braums on 17th and Classen has a mattress dumped by it, miscellaneous boxes and trash furniture.

OKCisOK4me
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
The one by Braums on 17th and Classen has a mattress dumped by it, miscellaneous boxes and trash furniture.

Which tells you the people that obviously did that can't read. Ironic, lol...

CCOKC
06-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I have a friend who works for Friends of the library and assures me these are not in any way sanctioned by them. He told me they used to have a sign on them that implied a connection until he was made aware of the signs and they have since been taken down. It was his understanding that the organization was indeed collecting books to sell them.

so1rfan
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Instead of donating your books to some unknown entity, just take them to the library and tell them they are for "Friends of the Library." They will happily take them. Or you can take them to the sorting site as well. Donate to the Friends (http://www.mlsfriends.org/donate_books.html)

flippity
06-04-2009, 08:19 AM
we eventually donated them to the library - had about 150 paperbacks and 100 hard backs..some were kind of old but all in good condition..we found them when we moved into a house.

old okie
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Thank you for this information. I, too, had wondered about those "donate books" bins. I certainly won't be giving any books to them.

And while this topic is here, what about the "donate clothes" bins that have been put up? If there is any identification as to whom the donation is made, I can't ever see the information from the street. Are these sites, which have no readily visible recipients' names on them, also "for profit" sites?

Thanks!

FritterGirl
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Thank you for this information. I, too, had wondered about those "donate books" bins. I certainly won't be giving any books to them. Ditto. Personally I think it's disingenuous to consider this a "donation." What books I can't take to 1/2-Price Books, I'll definitely start taking to the library.

And while this topic is here, what about the "donate clothes" bins that have been put up? If there is any identification as to whom the donation is made, I can't ever see the information from the street.

The donation drop-off hut nearest to my house says the items are donated to Positive Tomorrows, a local non-profit organization that serves the educational needs of children who are homeless and who cannot qualify for OKCPS. It's a great, well-established and reputible charity. Not sure if they have all of them or not, so you might have to look and see who the donations actually go to. Might not also hurt to call that charity to ensure the clothes actually go to them.

Personally, while I like the idea, the one by me is always stuffed to the brim and then people dump stuff on the outside of the little shed, creating a pile of cr@p that litters the business parking lot where it is established. It's kind of an eyesore, really.

I'd rather work with a charity from whom I can get a tax receipt, and/or one who will pick up from my doorstep AND give me a tax receipt.

old okie
06-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I'd rather work with a charity from whom I can get a tax receipt, and/or one who will pick up from my doorstep AND give me a tax receipt.

Good plan! Maybe someone from Positive Tomorrows will see this post and get the message that having such drop-off bins isn't the most positive way to solicit donations!

smacketyanne
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Because they are non-profits they don't always have the money to come around and pick stuff up. maybe you can take it to them next time. It might save them from having to put up the bins that cause so much confusion and trash.

nik4411
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Yes i know that these bins are from a business in Norman. They sell the good books online and dump the bad.

FFLady
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by metro
The one by Braums on 17th and Classen has a mattress dumped by it, miscellaneous boxes and trash furniture.

Which tells you the people that obviously did that can't read. Ironic, lol...

:LolLolLol