View Full Version : Best Italian Establishment in OKC metro? Elsewhere in OK?

kevinpate
05-31-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't have a current favorite for Italian food in the expanded metro area (anywhere within 50 miles of downtown OKC) since marcos came and went in Norman a few years back. So your greater metro perspectives are strongly encouraged.

Elsewhere in the state, any of the mainstays in Krebs, though I'm most partial to Rosanna's

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-31-2009, 08:48 AM
In the metro area, we like Flip's, Falcone's (I know its pizza not a restaurant, but its still good Italian), and Trattoria Il Centro. Didn't so much like Sophabella's. Still on the list to try are Bienvenuti's, Bellini's, Papa Angelo's, and Meiki's.

I really love the restaurants in Krebs, I like the family-style country Italian (meatballs and parm and stuff, all served to share). I think we should have more places similar to Pete's up here (and serve Lovera's sausage and all that). Anyone know of suggestions in this category in the metro?

okyeah
05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Flip's or Bella Vista if I just want spaghetti and meatballs

dalelakin
05-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I have to agree with Bella Vista for Spaghetti.

metro
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Bellini's by far. Trattoria il Centro and Flips are great too

Stinger
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
I like the one's mentioned above, but will through in Papa Dio's as well. It's on May just south of Hefner, tucked behind the Donuts and Kolache's place.

okyeah
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I ate at Tana Thai a couple of times last week (and am really getting sick of Thai food...) and noticed Papa Dio's for the first time. I've heard good things about them, but wasn't sure if they only did pizza 'cause to me, the name sounds like a pizza joint. I'm probably going to try them soon..

ImTheDude
06-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Michael's Grill has some great italian dishes.

amylynn5656
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Victoria's in Norman, Flip's, Sophabella's (best deep dish pizza), Papa Angelo's (best thin crust pizza).

metro
06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Technically those types of pizza aren't really "Italian", Pizza as we know it is more American. Sophabella's is Chicago style Pizza and Papa Angelos is NYC style. Italian Pizza as in Italy is a whole other ballgame, I'd say the Wedge and Wedge II is the closest you'll find to Italy in OKC. I love me some Papa Angelo's though, definitely a well kept secret in OKC.

amylynn, have you compared the deep dish at Sophabella's to the new Humble Pie up in Edmond?

amylynn5656
06-01-2009, 10:15 AM
amylynn, have you compared the deep dish at Sophabella's to the new Humble Pie up in Edmond?

True on the Chicago / NYC styles of pizza. Didn't think we were getting that specific here... :doh:

No I haven't tried Humble Pie in Edmond? Do you recommend it? Where is it located?

BoulderSooner
06-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Bienvenuti's end of discussion

CCinOKC
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I grew up in an Italian family on the East coast where there are lots of authentic Italian restaurants, and have traveled to Italy multiple times. I have tried just about every Italian restaurant in the OKC area, and my favorite so far is Bravo Cucina on memorial. I have never been one for chain restaurants, especially Italian chains, but I haven't found an Italian restaurant here that I like better. I did not care for Bellinis at all. The meatballs were clearly frozen and had just been defrosted, and the sauce was too thick and pastey, definitely NOT like in Italy! Have tried Flips, Trattoria el Centro, Cafe Pranzo, but like Bravo the best.

phinzup
06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Cafe Pranzo......

khook
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Papa Dios.... nice handcrafted pasta's... the wine bar side is upscale and adult, while the papa dios side is family friendly. A nice neighborhood bistro that remains unknown by all those not familiar with it's neighborhood.

kevinpate
06-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Some I've tried, some I haven't even heard of,but look forward to sampling soon.

My taste buds, tummy and brain greatly appreciate your participation.

possumfritter
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Best around...Bravo's! Guaranteed!!!

fourthworldtraffic
06-20-2009, 04:51 PM
falcones,especially now that the man is back behind the counters and cases cracking heads...only the one on may,I like the staff....his frigging meatballs are stupid good..

Bigrayok
06-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Papa Dio's is my favorite Italian restaurant in Oklahoma City. Their chicken Marsala is the best I have had anywhere. I enjoy Cafe Pranzo, Bella Vista, Flips, and Lugiano's in Mustang also.

Bigray in Ok

Bigrayok
06-25-2009, 01:48 AM
I like Falcone's and eat at the Bricktown location every week. I prefer their sandwiches to the pizza and Italian dishes which I think are over priced. The sandwiches are expensive but are huge with good meats and cheeses. I also like any place that serves cannoli which is becoming more available in OKC than in the past.

Bigray in Ok

EBAH
06-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I second Caffe Pranzo, it is fantastic!

Luke
06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I like me some Falcone's.

drummerboy
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Luigiano's in Mustang

jdcf
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
We enjoy Primo's on I-240. Cafe Pranzo and Normad are good. Bella Vista - hate the long wait for the food and the waitress is a bit scary.

JohnDenver
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Vitos off N. May Ave. The owner is great and her food is wonderful.

Becka
01-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Napoli's in Chickasha. It's in a little strip mall and you wouldn't think anything of it driving past it, but OMG the food is good. Everything is made fresh and from scratch. Their alfredo sauce and bread alone is worth the drive.

Dustin
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Olive garden!! Lol

Uncle Slayton
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Victoria's and Sandro's, both in Norman.

RealJimbo
01-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Papa Dio's - Mickey is the best Maitre D' in town
Vito's - Great food and the friendliest owner in town

Both are "one-off" and better at different things. You're cheating yourself if you don't try both.

OKCisOK4me
01-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Falcone's here & I agree with JerzeeGirl, Pete's in Krebs (ummm, yummmmy)!

MikeOKC
01-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Papa Dio's - Mickey is the best Maitre D' in town
Vito's - Great food and the friendliest owner in town

Both are "one-off" and better at different things. You're cheating yourself if you don't try both.

Vitos! Good food and you're right, she is one nice lady. She is Sean Cummings wife. They're both good people.

okiemom
01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Giuseppe's in Marlow. Awesome food.

Giuseppe's Italian Dining 580-658-2148 (http://www.giuseppesitaliandining.com)

easternobserver
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Its been a little while, but I'd second Cafe Pranzo...the food was very fresh and the service was significantly above average.

MsDarkstar
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
My cousin is a waiter at Cafe Pranzo and he actually LOVES his job...he really enjoys waiting.

RealJimbo
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
McAlester/Krebs - Giacomo's and Pete's respectively. Love 'em both.

ShiroiHikari
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I have to say that Bravo is pretty darned awesome for a chain restaurant. Great selection, great taste, great service.

Absolut
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Papa Dio's on May and Flips on Western get my vote.

Joe Daddy
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM

This is my vote!

Soonerus
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Ditto, I went there tonight...

MadMonk
02-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Primo's in Yukon is good. I also like Papa Dio's, but unfortunately I don't get up that way very often these days.

okcguy89
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Vito's by far. Kathy makes the experiance for sure, and the food stands on it's own. She treats everyone like she has known you for years, even if it is your first time there.

Euphoria
02-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Had the (mis)fortune of going to Papa Dio's on Saturday evening with a friend. We got seated immediately (it was 5pm), took us probably 10 minutes to get drinks and get our order taken.

The hostess up front was berating people for not making reservations the entire time we were there. She was loud enough in doing it that *I* was uncomfortable. How dare these people think they can get a decent meal in OKC without making reservations!!?!??! The nerve of some folks! (No, I didn't make reservations either).

Once we actually started getting service it was pretty good. Salad was ok, chicken parm was ok. I was going to get the creme brulee for dessert but the guy at the table next to mine sent his back as the sugar wouldn't carmelize (they used rum to set the top on fire, great presentation). Apparently they aren't comfortable with a blowtorch.

Overall, 6. Service was good but it took a while to get our initial setup (drinks, order, etc). Hostess needs to keep her mouth shut and seat people as she can, not berate them for not making reservations. Food was ok, but not up to the standards of other places in town. I'd definately give it another shot to try something different. Maybe on a night I can make reservations :)

Bigrayok
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Saturday night was when a lot of people were going out for Valentines which is probably Papa Dio's busiest night of the year. Give them a chance on some other night. You usually do not need a reservation unless you are going to be in the wine bar on a busy night. It is difficult to judge the place on Valentine's day. I am surprised you even got in without a reservation on Valentine's.

Bigray in Ok

Euphoria
02-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. However, it was VERY early for a romantic dinner. 5pm isn't exactly prime dinner hour on a Saturday night. The attitude of the hostess was the biggest turn-off for me. She was just straight rude to several couples and mocked one couple that was wearing OSU attire.

Anyhow, the food wan't bad, even if I've had better, and if they'd get the creme brulee situation straightened out I'd be impressed. That's quite possibly my favorite dessert of all time.