View Full Version : Pet Sitters, boarding, etc...what are the options for my dog while I'm on vacation?

CG23
05-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi. I am a relatively new dog owner - I adopted Rex, a 2 year old dachshund, just a few months ago. I've had cats in the past, but this is the first dog I have owned. We have a vacation planned for 9 days in July, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of options there are for Rex. I've considered taking him with us, but crammed in a minivan with 3 kids and my Mom for a 15+ hour drive each way doesn't sound like much fun for a dog (well, for anyone really!) Plus my sister, whose house we are staying at, has two dogs that aren't keen on other animals. I think Rex would be most comfortable at home, but I don't feel I can ask our neighbors for help, as we haven't lived there long enough to know many of them well (and of those we do know well - one has severe dog allergies, and the other is expecting a baby soon.) I've never used a pet sitting service, and don't know if this would work out. Paying by the visit could get costly if they come to walk him 3-4 times a day. Mostly I'm concerned that 9 days is a long time to go with minimal interactions with people, playtime, etc. Another option is boarding. I just hate to have him spending most of the day in a cage too, but he may get more interaction that way.

Any suggestions or recommendations on pet sitters, places to board a dog, or other ideas for when we are gone?

tburn
05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
My favorite boarding option is Country Kennel Bed & Biscuit - North of Edmond, on Sooner Road.

They offer a large (4ft x 10ft or so) kennel that is an indoor/outdoor "run" for each dog. They do not do "group play" as some kennels do, so I feel safer knowing my dog won't get injured or anxious, trying to determine her pack role.

I have toured boarding options at many vet offices and kennels - and this is far superior as most vets do leave them in a small cage for hours, only to be let out 1 or 2x per day. This kennel is clean, and our dog has never come home with a bad smell or depressed (!) nature. She runs back and forth and barks her head off the whole time!
They do also offer individual play time and have a large fenced area to let the dog run or play with a human if you request.

I think the rate is $15 per day for our sized dog = 55lbs

340-4454
3 miles or so N of Waterloo on Sooner
The owner lives on the premises -- an acreage, as does the main animal tech.

It is a bit out of the way, but so worth it for peace of mind and safety/comfort for my pet.

My parents use them as well for week+ long boardings when they travel

foodiefan
05-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Ann's Country Club for Pets. . .Britton Road, East of I-35. . .indoor/outdoor runs. GREAT people. I don't have a pet right now, but used them for close to 15 years for my dog and cat.

PennyQuilts
05-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it is hard to have a dog if your lifestyle involves lengthy vacations. Nice when you have neighbors to check in but it is really not the best option for that length of time. It is probably one of the main reasons many people don't have pets. I wish we could travel more but we have TWO dogs and it keeps us grounded. We are driving to OKC from Virginia with them, this summer, and that is four days on the road (2 each way).

I have a friend who has several dogs and he manages to travel quite a bit, even for work. He checks out doggy daycares in cities he is going to and that way the dogs can be with him at night but he is free to go to meetings if he is working and they get to play instead of being boarded. Or if he is on vacation, he has free time with the family. Some folks have had bad experiences with doggy day cares but he has done it a lot, adores his dogs and when he says it has worked out for him, I believe him. They are his babies.

Thunder
05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Check out Neel's Vet out on McArthur. They upgraded the space and fun for dogs. I trust them to look after my animals.

bluedogok
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Check out Neel's Vet out on McArthur. They upgraded the space and fun for dogs. I trust them to look after my animals.
I used Neel when I lived in OKC for my Heeler, I traveled a bit for work so I would get booked on 5:50 AM flights so it was nice to be able to drop her off on the way to the airport and pick her up whenever I got back into town instead of waiting until the next day. After a few times the staff "knew" her, she seemed to really like it better than the places that we had used down here in Austin.

Tex
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Can you all post the rates you pay for dog boarding?

kevinpate
05-29-2009, 04:43 AM
I've heard of Country Kennel Bed and Biscuit before. I dinna know it was as inexpensive as 15 a day. Never used them, but that seems a real bargain.

When we traveled more, we tended to just swap out with friends. They care for our critters, and we'd do the same when they were gone.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Off topic here....

"CG23"?

Hey...I've been on the Halsey...

CG23
05-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for all of the recommendations and suggestions. Sounds like there will be several good options for boarding. ECO - I had not thought about doggie daycare. Won't work for this trip but it's definately something to keep in mind for future vacations. I don't take long vacations often - maybe once a year - most of our trips are weekend jaunts and Rex comes with us.

Thanks!

Carolyn (who had to google Halsey because I had no clue...lol)

jsibelius
05-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I agonized over this when I adopted my first dog several years ago. I came to the following conclusions. Having the neighbors or a pet-sitter come check on your dog is fine if you have outdoor dogs and a doggie door, but I don't think it works well for indoor dogs. (They're also good for cats because cats require a little less personal attention.) Unless you have someone who really wants to come spend time with your dog or your dog REALLY needs to be at home for some REALLY compelling reason, I would recommend boarding somewhere. I usually leave my two with our veterinarian at $12 a day each. They're both small dogs. The price goes up as the dogs get bigger, as does the difficulty of finding space for them. And I feel better knowing if anything happens to one of them while I'm gone, they'll be well cared for.

I did put them in a traditional outdoor kennel last Christmas - we were traveling with them, had a last-minute hotel problem, and it was the only place in town that still had space available. I liked that they had a lot of space and the ability to go outside or come back inside whenever they wanted. I didn't like that the owner (who lived on the premises) ignored my instructions on how to take care of my babies. That's an individual kennel issue and something you should take time to check out before your trip. If you're going to use a kennel, ask to look at their facility before you agree to board your furbaby. I'm reasonably sure a reputable kennel will allow you to see how they run their operation. Ask questions. Interview them. You wouldn't leave your kids with just anyone. The same should go for animals.

Good luck. And happy travels!

Tex
06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I used Neel when I lived in OKC for my Heeler, I traveled a bit for work so I would get booked on 5:50 AM flights so it was nice to be able to drop her off on the way to the airport and pick her up whenever I got back into town instead of waiting until the next day. After a few times the staff "knew" her, she seemed to really like it better than the places that we had used down here in Austin.

Thanks for the tip. I see that Neel is open 24/7. That will work great when I need to fly out at 7:00am for 4th of July.

Thunder
06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the tip. I see that Neel is open 24/7. That will work great when I need to fly out at 7:00am for 4th of July.

Please keep in mind that there is a service charge after 10pm and before 6am. Unless they know you so well, they'll waive the charge. They all know me so well; kept Lightning alive a year longer, saved Furrball's life from near death (within minutes), saved Lee's life, and basics on Fuzzy and Smokey (still miss him).

Tex
06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Thunder, didn't know about the service charge for boarding. I was under the assumption there was an emergency service fee to see a vet for an appt if it was outside the 7:00am-10:00pm hours. Do they have the pet cam suites open yet? The boarding contract mentions it, but the website says coming soon. What else is worth knowing about Neel?

Thunder
06-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Hmm, come to think of it. I do not know if they charge an xtra on "emergency service" to admit boarding outside normal business hours. You'll have to ask them.

I do not know about the cam feature. I guess it is something new that they are working on. I've never done boarding on my babies, but when I do, it will be at that place. I'd pay xtra for constant playtime, cuz these two babies here go crazy without me.

bluedogok
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I dropped off/picked up mine at what would have been emergency hours most of the time and don't remember them doing that. They will tell you what time the charges for the next day start accruing, if you pick them up after that time then you pay the fee for that day.

thecoolest
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
My husband and I have two dogs and have used various doggy daycares here in Oklahoma City to board our dogs when we are on vacation. They get to run around all day with other dogs and have lots of interaction with people (they are not in cages) and then at night they are put in large cages with a bed, water, toys, etc.

We have used Central Park on N. Classen, Camp Bow Wow in Moore (they have another location in Edmond), Canine Social Club on NW 67th Street near Nichols Hills, and Dogtopia in Edmond. We have been using these places for the last 5 years and have always had great experiences.

It is a little more expensive than boarding your dog, but the extra money is well worth it when you consider they are not locked up all day like most places that just board.

tburn
06-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I recommend you tour the facility! See how and where your pet will be housed. I have toured Neel -- they are my vet and I'm happy with the vet services, but not boarding.