View Full Version : Home security

Jesseda
05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
i am lookin into home security, is there any good one out there , if so how much a month, i have heard anywhere from 24.99 and up

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Mossberg. One time entry fee of $199 and up.:ohno:

J/K....I'm kind of looking too. I need to get my shop wired for it too.

Karried
05-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Mossberg? What about the Monthly Monitoring Fee?

Fees have gone up.. closer to $40 bucks now with Fire monitoring.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Mossberg makes some decent entry level shotguns Karried. :)

MadMonk
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Mossberg makes some decent entry level shotguns Karried. :)
And no monthly fee! (unless you count range time).

Jesseda
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
does anyone have protection one home? If so are they pretty good?

Luke
05-27-2009, 01:43 PM
We have Guardian Security and pay $30 a month.

Guardian Security | Guardian Security Systems, Inc. (http://www.csg-guardian.com/)

Two window trigger alarms in kids room. Motion detectors for the whole house. Door entry alarms on all doors that lead outside. Install was free.

This has saved us thousands of dollars already. They are always very prompt to call when the alarm has been set.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
We have Guardian Security and pay $30 a month.

Guardian Security | Guardian Security Systems, Inc. (http://www.csg-guardian.com/)

Two window trigger alarms in kids room. Motion detectors for the whole house. Door entry alarms on all doors that lead outside. Install was free.

This has saved us thousands of dollars already. They are always very prompt to call when the alarm has been set.

How many false alarms do your motion detectors give? I need a couple of those.

MsDarkstar
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I used to have Guardian & liked them fine; had sensors on the 3 outside doors and 1 motion sensor (the way my house is designed, 1 motion sensor was enough). The only thing that I didn't like was that there was just one keypad, at the main entry. I know this is fairly standard, but I found that I wouldn't set it when I was at home because inevitably I'd forget it was on and set it off when letting the dogs out to the backyard. The other problem I ran into was motion sensor false alarms. They set it up with my two dogs in mind, so the lowest point of the ground wouldn't detect...made sense, until my 90 pound German Shepherd started setting it off every time he jumped up on the loveseat. That made him just tall enough to be above the pet height cut off. They came back out & changed things to prevent this but I found that it was too much; I could walk around with the motion sensor on & wouldn't set it off (I'm 5'5" tall). I ended up just cancelling the service after my contract had expired. They'd raised my rates anyway, from $19.99/mo to $24.99/mo. When I cancelled, they offered to put me back to my original rate if I signed another contract but I passed on that. Don't really have any complaints about them or the service though. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Jon27
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM
does anyone have protection one home? If so are they pretty good?

I do. Have home with motion detector, fire alarm, battery backup, cell tower backup (calls a cell tower if the home phone is out, and the service plan for $31.95 a month. I believe it's $26.95 if you don't want the cell backup. I think the more doors and motion sensors you have goes toward the installation, not the monthly service. I could be wrong. The service with them is excellent IMO.

kevinpate
05-28-2009, 04:20 AM
There's TNT Security at 15.99 monthly, info at TNT Services, LLC (http://www.tntsecurityservices.com/default.aspx)

DaveSkater
05-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Just get a barkin dog and a biting mossberg.

Karried
05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
ogts..lol I was thinking Mossberg, Mossberg...hmmmm never heard of that alarm company!

Luke
05-28-2009, 10:05 AM
How many false alarms do your motion detectors give? I need a couple of those.

In the three years we've had them, maybe 3 false alarms? Thankfully, Guardian calls before they send police.

Jesseda
05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
thanks everyone i am thinking of calling guardian out.

okbjjpurple
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Brazilian Mastiff (fila brasiliero) or a sable german shepherd and a rem 870 and a .45 handgun. End of thread. An alarm will be nice and noisy while your being raped and killed versus having a 180 lb dog that is three times stronger then any man hitting some convict at 20mph and chewing him up while you call the police or pistol whip your dogs new friend till the cops come.

DaveSkater
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Brazilian Mastiff (fila brasiliero) or a sable german shepherd and a rem 870 and a .45 handgun. End of thread. An alarm will be nice and noisy while your being raped and killed versus having a 180 lb dog that is three times stronger then any man hitting some convict at 20mph and chewing him up while you call the police or pistol whip your dogs new friend till the cops come.

FTW! :congrats:

bjhenley
09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Allied Alarm LLC is only 24.95/month for me. Doors, Motion, Glass Breakage, and Fire. Monitored and they call you before police.

bluedogok
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Ours worked to some extent a couple of weeks ago while I was at work and my wife was on her way back from West Texas, all they took was my laptop since it was laying out on a table, they left through the window they came in. The Austin police came out and logged it as a false alarm, it wasn't until I got home and found the back window open, they pushed a window unit in. It is in the garage now so I am just putting up with the heat until I have the time to build frame for it (the master bedroom is at the end of the duct run so very little air gets back there), they will not be able to do that again. We are going to get every window sensored now, they tripped the motion detector in the living room. Our back gate is locked so they scaled a wood fence, we are pretty sure it is some neighbor kids.

Check to see how the call is made, I have known some in the past (when I was still in OKC) that had their homes broken into where they cut the phone lines so the system couldn't dial the call center, we switched companies because the new one offered a GSM Wireless dialer, so even it they cut the phone/cable lines it can still dial out.

decepticobra
09-10-2009, 07:29 AM
....and so this guy i work with was telling me he used to work for The Department of Homeland Security.

...I said, "really??'..that sounds like an awesome job!"

...he was like "not really, I work at a grocery store, make sure people dont steal or get robbed"

I said "dude, you work security guard at Homeland grocery, not Homeland security"

Karried
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
lol, omg.. that is Funny!

OKCTalker
09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I do. Have home with motion detector, fire alarm, battery backup, cell tower backup (calls a cell tower if the home phone is out, and the service plan for $31.95 a month. I believe it's $26.95 if you don't want the cell backup. I think the more doors and motion sensors you have goes toward the installation, not the monthly service. I could be wrong. The service with them is excellent IMO.

I also have Protection One at home with SuperChris' package except for the cell feature, for which I pay $27.95/month. They've offered me the cell feature for $100.00 installed + $10.00 per month, which will allow me to drop my land line which runs around $30.00 per month. Oh - I'm happy with Protection One.

OKCTalker
09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh - And a Mossberg under the bed...

Midtowner
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe giving details about your alarm configuration on the internet ain't the brightest thing to do.