View Full Version : If I were Sam Presti...

Urbanized
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
...here's the deal I would try to put together before draft day...

Ricky Rubio is now saying he doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC and wants to play in a major media market. It so happens the team with the number one pick IS in a major media market, and wants to replace Baron Davis at point guard. Memphis has reportedly been licking their chops over Hasheem Thabeet. As everyone knows, OKC wants Blake Griffin. BADLY. Oh, and OKC also has not one but TWO potential lottery picks next year.

So the way you make EVERYBODY happy is pretty simple:

Clippers trade number one pick to OKC, pick up one first round pick next season from the Thunder (probably the Phoenix pick, since it would have the best chance of being high lottery, especially if this trade happens).
OK, give them both picks next year or one and the '11 pick if they ask really nicely. No current players though.
Clips trade Baron Davis to Memphis (perhaps some money changes hands on this one). Davis at Memphis wouldn't be bad for them at all. They would instantly be more competetive. Is Mike Conley REALLY the PG of the future?
Memphis gives number two pick to Clippers, takes OKC's number three pick. At three they draft Hasheem Thabeet, the guy they really want, and also get an upgrade at point guard. For how long is Davis an upgrade? They can worry about that later. For now, Memphis is really happy.
Clippers draft Ricky Rubio at two, the guy they really need after getting rid of Davis, who is the guy they really want to get rid of. Clippers are really happy. Rubio and his agent are also really happy, since he ends up in a big media market. Nevermind that their only tradition is losing. Good luck, Ricky.
Thunder drafts... ...drumroll... ...Blake Griffin. OKC owners and fans are really, really, REALLY happy.

All season long I have ripped on and rolled my eyes at my friends and other OKC fans who were fantasizing about getting Griffin. The team was improving by leaps and bounds throughout the year, plus the lottery makes it hard even for the worst team to be guaranteed the number one pick, anyway. Don't get me wrong; he's my number one choice too, perhaps instantly making a playoff team out of the great pieces already in place, but for him to come here would require too many moving parts to come together in unison...

But the more I think about it, after analyzing what I've been reading over the past few days, the situation outlined above has at least an outside possibility of happening. It could involve other wrinkles or be structured somewhat differently, but it could work. It could work for everybody concerned, which is what gives it the best chance.

jstanthrnme
05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Both of next years picks will be lottery picks, I wouldn't give up either of them for BG.
We can get Willie Warren next year, and it'll boost our local pride, just the same. We'd give up more than we can afford to if we trade up.

The best thing to do, is stay at 3, or trade down to 4 or 5.

Urbanized
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Both picks next year won't be lottery picks if the Thunder make the playoffs. With Blake, they could very possibly make the playoffs. Sitting back and counting your lottery picks year after year is what losing teams do. They have enough young talent in place to give up a first round pick or two over the next two years if it will make them instantly competitive and formidable for the long term.

bluedogok
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Sitting back and counting your lottery picks year after year is what the Clippers do.
There, fixed that for you :Smiley199

narrowexpanded
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
...here's the deal I would try to put together before draft day...

Ricky Rubio is now saying he doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC and wants to play in a major media market. It so happens the team with the number one pick IS in a major media market, and wants to replace Baron Davis at point guard. Memphis has reportedly been licking their chops over Hasheem Thabeet. As everyone knows, OKC wants Blake Griffin. BADLY. Oh, and OKC also has not one but TWO potential lottery picks next year.

So the way you make EVERYBODY happy is pretty simple:

Clippers trade number one pick to OKC, pick up one first round pick next season from the Thunder (probably the Phoenix pick, since it would have the best chance of being high lottery, especially if this trade happens).
OK, give them both picks next year or one and the '11 pick if they ask really nicely. No current players though.
Clips trade Baron Davis to Memphis (perhaps some money changes hands on this one). Davis at Memphis wouldn't be bad for them at all. They would instantly be more competetive. Is Mike Conley REALLY the PG of the future?
Memphis gives number two pick to Clippers, takes OKC's number three pick. At three they draft Hasheem Thabeet, the guy they really want, and also get an upgrade at point guard. For how long is Davis an upgrade? They can worry about that later. For now, Memphis is really happy.
Clippers draft Ricky Rubio at two, the guy they really need after getting rid of Davis, who is the guy they really want to get rid of. Clippers are really happy. Rubio and his agent are also really happy, since he ends up in a big media market. Nevermind that their only tradition is losing. Good luck, Ricky.
Thunder drafts... ...drumroll... ...Blake Griffin. OKC owners and fans are really, really, REALLY happy.

All season long I have ripped on and rolled my eyes at my friends and other OKC fans who were fantasizing about getting Griffin. The team was improving by leaps and bounds throughout the year, plus the lottery makes it hard even for the worst team to be guaranteed the number one pick, anyway. Don't get me wrong; he's my number one choice too, perhaps instantly making a playoff team out of the great pieces already in place, but for him to come here would require too many moving parts to come together in unison...

But the more I think about it, after analyzing what I've been reading over the past few days, the situation outlined above has at least an outside possibility of happening. It could involve other wrinkles or be structured somewhat differently, but it could work. It could work for everybody concerned, which is what gives it the best chance.

Ive seen a few variations on your trade hypothesis from different sources and I have zero problem with it, but I just want to clear up the Rubio not wanting to play in OKC or Memphis talk. The sources is a dubious third party "his agent told me and now Im telling you" kind of thing. I wouldnt put any stock in it as of yet. Rubio would be a great fit for the Thunder as he draws comparisons to a young Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and even a bit of Chris Paul. Durant and company could do some damage with a PG like that.

As far as Im concerned its Griffen, Rubio, trade down for someone like Harden, and then when all else fails, Thabeet. People need to get over their love affair with drafting Thabeet. He has bust written all over him. Its not looking good when you draft a "project" who's work ethic has been called in to question in the past. Hes a soccer player who has only played basketball for 6 or 7 years who doesnt like physical contact. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but the NBA is littered with 7 footers with very little basketball IQ or very little athletic ability.

Simplifying your scenario would all depend on insuring Memphis takes Thabeet as the 2nd pick. We could even take on Baron Davis's contract if it ensures us getting Griffen. That wouldnt be ideal for the Thunder but hey...we need to drop some PGs on the roster anyway.

Easy180
05-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I was in the Thabeet camp but now favor Harden....Have enough athletic playmakers on the team and it would be nice to have a sharpshooter sitting outside to kick out to

To he** with interior defense...Let's just try and outscore 'em

OKCMallen
05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I was in the Thabeet camp but now favor Harden....Have enough athletic playmakers on the team and it would be nice to have a sharpshooter sitting outside to kick out to

To he** with interior defense...Let's just try and outscore 'em

In basketball, there are some things you can control on a daily basis, and some you can't. Defense and hustle stats are controllable. Shooting often isn't. Teams go cold shooting the ball sometimes and trying harder won't really help...but you can always bust your butt on rebounding, blocks, steals, and strong defense. You need to be sure you can play some interior defense for those nights that you can't score. Control (and be good at) what you can control.

metro
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I think Rubio is the best pick for us, PR wise. It would bring more PR to OKC outside of OKC and the US. I think it would sell more jerseys outside of Oklahoma as well as televised games. Everyone knows tickets dont make a team money, it's the tv rights and merchandise. I say OKC needs all the PR help we can get, and Rubio would be a boost to our positive PR that we've been receiving lately. He would instantly draw us a European following of the Thunder. Griffin will get a few highlights on ESPN and will sell more jerseys locally, but frankly we need outside of Oklahoma support to keep this team long term.

Urbanized
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
You know what would give OKC the best PR help? Winning.

I'm down with a trade to get Griffin, if they can make it happen. Best chance to start winning immediately.

If they can't get it done, then I'm sure Sam will make the right choice. As for bringing in a high profile point guard (Rubio), I'm pretty sure that would be problematic with Russell Westbrook starting and giving Rookie of the Year a nice run last year. He's going to be a superstar, and I think he'll be a superstar at point.