View Full Version : Obama to pick Sotomayor for high court

kevinpate
05-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Please note, this is a news post, and this item is not posted in the politics forum.

Kindly leave political rants for the appropriate forum, if only out of respect for at least the notion of our judiciary being an independent branch of our government.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama tapped federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, officials said, making her the first Hispanic in history picked to wear the robes of a justice.

If confirmed by the Senate, Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter. Two officials described Obama's decision on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement had been made.

Full article at:
AP sources: Obama picks Sotomayor for high court - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_on_go_su_co/us_obama_supreme_court)

Easy180
05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
She definitely seems to have the credentials...Should pass pretty easily unless she has something pretty nasty out there that has yet to be discovered

Jon27
05-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I haven't read a whole lot about her, but I read she has type 1 diabetes. I have the same disease. I read an article on Time.com that was basically putting this against her. I can't believe that! If you take care of yourself, type 1 diabetes is NOT a limiting disease!!!

bjhenley
05-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo was on the US Supreme Court from 1932 to 1938. His family was from Portugal. I would have to say that makes him the first Hispanic to wear the robe in my opinion. Title 49, section 26.5 of the Code of Federal Regulations (the definition that's used in the contracting race preference programs administered by the Department of Transportation) defines "Hispanic Americans" as

persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Central or South American, or other Spanish or Portuguese culture or origin, regardless of race.

DaveSkater
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd say that the fact that she is a complete racist should disqualify her immediately.

Midtowner
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo was on the US Supreme Court from 1932 to 1938. His family was from Portugal. I would have to say that makes him the first Hispanic to wear the robe in my opinion. Title 49, section 26.5 of the Code of Federal Regulations (the definition that's used in the contracting race preference programs administered by the Department of Transportation) defines "Hispanic Americans" as

persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Central or South American, or other Spanish or Portuguese culture or origin, regardless of race.

Calling Portuguese people "hispanic" is really quite a stretch. Just because they share a penninsula with Spain (and not even a language) makes them racially similar?

The 'hispanic" racial classification is bullcrap anyway. IMHO, it's completely made up in order to artificially create a political client-class of citizens who can be more easily targeted by parties catering to their 'unique' needs.

As far as the pick goes, this is Obama we're talking about. The pick is not a major shock. The confirmation should be pretty easy. Look for conservatives to make a bunch of noise and try to rally the base. It'll all be for naught. This'll be an easy confirmation.

PennyQuilts
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I always thought Portugal was an hispanic country.

Midtowner
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Portugul =! Spain.

The two countries had territorial possessions on the same continent and are both situated on the Iberian peninsula. Other than that, I don't particularly see the justification. It might be thought of as hispanic, but it just doesn't make sense. The United States is more hispanic than Portugul.

DaveSkater
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I'm not diggin the appointment......

Midtowner
05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
DS, I'm with you, but Obama won, he now gets to pick his guy (er gal as it may be). Bush got Alito and Roberts who are both a bit to the right of Atilla the Hun, so fair is fair.

kevinpate
05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Face it, they are smarter than us, they are prettier than us and dog gone it, they generally bathe more and cook better than us as well.

Besides all that, white men can't jump, except to conclusions.
8^)

The court has survived far more er, um, interesting choices than the present nominee.

Easy180
06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Was wondering if we could add a dumba** smilie just for this...Just let me know

As Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor continues to make the rounds on Capitol Hill, at least one senator is refusing to meet with her.

Sen. James Inhofe, the Oklahoma Republican who previously voted against Sotomayor's current post as a federal appeals court judge, told the Tulsa World Thursday it is a "foregone conclusion" that he would not support Obama's pick for the high court.

"If you voted against anyone on the circuit [court], I have never been able to see how you turn around when the bar is actually higher and support it at a higher level," Inhofe also said.

So when it came time for Sotomayor to meet with Inhofe to discuss her judicial philosophy, the Oklahoman declined.

"The reason is he already knows how he is going to vote and it's probably best not to take up her time, she's very busy," Inhofe communications director Jared Young told CNN.

Meanwhile, fellow Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, also a Republican, met with Sotomayor Thursday, having what he described as a "philosophical discussion" with the high court nominee.

"It was more a philosophical discussion [about] life, problems in our country, difficulties we face," Coburn said.