View Full Version : Summer's here:...Where did you hang out at?

Pages : [1] 2

Generals64
05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, guys and gals....Summer is almost on us. What places did you hang out at or go to when you were growing up?....I most vividly remember the last day of school ritual for me and other kids on our black was as soon as we got home our parents gave us 50 cents to go and get a Burr haircut....That should last all summer Huh????However, for 75 cents you could get a "boogie" or just a Flattop...Where did we hang out? Up and down the block, slept outside, swimming at Elmwood....brock Park.....Swimming lessons at Rotary park....or, (lucky me) if you had a good looking older sister the big guys would let you go with them to Twilight Beach....this might be a short-lived thread but man I remember a lot of good time Summers....How about you???????

FRISKY
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
^^^Same thing...except the sister part. Small world...

papaOU
05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Grade school years much time was spent at one of the two swimming pools at Wiley Post park. On the east side was a wading or kiddies pool and a "club" house. On the west side near the Walker bridge the city built a "regular" sized pool. Diving board and all. While on the east side there was no charge the newest had a paid admission. Also had those baskets for your clothes. Had the big pin with a number on it so you would get your clothes back. I don't remember any of these two places having a place to purchase drinks. I guess they had water fountains. We lived in 500 block of S.W. 26Th and my younger brother and I would walk to the park and back home by ourselves, even though just being in 3rd grade to start and 6th when it ended ! I'll add some other stuff later.

PennyQuilts
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I lived on the far NE side and summers, for me, meant getting up before light and taking my horse on all day trips from Midwest City to past Frontier City. I used to ride him through the storm sewer under I-35 to go up towards Edmond. My mom had NO idea I traveled so far. I'd pack a lunch and water and be gone until dark.

Once, when I was about 13, I rode him to the Zoo, which involved riding under I-35 on 50th street. A good for nothing neighbor saw me and reported me to my mom. She showed up, hysterical, and made me ride back home. I had the good sense to not mention to her that I regularly rode just as far only out of town instead of towards it.

Looking back, she showed up at dusk. What was I thinking? I was two hours away from home and ended up riding down Coltrane after dark.

We had a lake that we swam in. I also used to take my horse in until it was deep enough for him to swim. I'd hold on to his tail to let him pull me. The same good for nothing neighbor reported me to the neighborhood association so I had to quit taking him down there (except after dark when we'd sneak out). I used to hide clothes in my horse's grain bin and sneak out in the middle of the night on full moons. Yeah, I was horse crazy. Or maybe just crazy.

Generals64
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I lived on the far NE side and summers, for me, meant getting up before light and taking my horse on all day trips from Midwest City to past Frontier City. I used to ride him through the storm sewer under I-35 to go up towards Edmond. My mom had NO idea I traveled so far. I'd pack a lunch and water and be gone until dark.

Once, when I was about 13, I rode him to the Zoo, which involved riding under I-35 on 50th street. A good for nothing neighbor saw me and reported me to my mom. She showed up, hysterical, and made me ride back home. I had the good sense to not mention to her that I regularly rode just as far only out of town instead of towards it.

Looking back, she showed up at dusk. What was I thinking? I was two hours away from home and ended up riding down Coltrane after dark.

We had a lake that we swam in. I also used to take my horse in until it was deep enough for him to swim. I'd hold on to his tail to let him pull me. The same good for nothing neighbor reported me to the neighborhood association so I had to quit taking him down there (except after dark when we'd sneak out). I used to hide clothes in my horse's grain bin and sneak out in the middle of the night on full moons. Yeah, I was horse crazy. Or maybe just crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K., Now I understand why you are in the profession you are in. Bold yet able to think....Under I-35...are you Crazy.....I gues the old working horses we used were "Goofy". they would had thrown me and a fit if I tried that...sounds fun though.....Coltrane at dark? sheesh...........Way to go though....

papaOU
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Why didn't you tell mom she was lucky that your out that late and that far from home with a horse and not a boy............

Just kidding.

bowtieguy
05-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Grade school years much time was spent at one of the two swimming pools at Wiley Post park. On the east side was a wading or kiddies pool and a "club" house. On the west side near the Walker bridge the city built a "regular" sized pool. Diving board and all. While on the east side there was no charge the newest had a paid admission. Also had those baskets for your clothes. Had the big pin with a number on it so you would get your clothes back. I don't remember any of these two places having a place to purchase drinks. I guess they had water fountains. We lived in 500 block of S.W. 26Th and my younger brother and I would walk to the park and back home by ourselves, even though just being in 3rd grade to start and 6th when it ended ! I'll add some other stuff later.

Hey Papa, those baskets are now a very valuable antique. For about the last 5 years I have been building little cabinets that hold between 2 and 8 baskets. I have shipped them all over the world, it's amazing how nostalgic people get when they see them. The best baskets were made at Kaspar Wire Works down in Shiner, Texas.

I remember the days hanging out at the pools around the city, Woodson, Wiley Post and Elmwood. When I was young the whole neighborhood would gather at night and play flashlight tag. It was a great time because those were the days before Arlans, we had that whole field between 46th and 44th from Olie to Western, as well as the neighborhood to hide in. I guess that times were really good then, parents didn't have to worry as much about the trouble that kids would get into. Simple times for good times.

Weekends were the best, we would all go to Capitol Hill to the movies, I remember sitting through them at least twice every time. Seems like you could always run into someone you know to hang out with. I remember seeing my first monster movie at the Yale, Godzilla. Haven't cared for lizards since.

Generals64
05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Papa, those baskets are now a very valuable antique. For about the last 5 years I have been building little cabinets that hold between 2 and 8 baskets. I have shipped them all over the world, it's amazing how nostalgic people get when they see them. The best baskets were made at Kaspar Wire Works down in Shiner, Texas.

I remember the days hanging out at the pools around the city, Woodson, Wiley Post and Elmwood. When I was young the whole neighborhood would gather at night and play flashlight tag. It was a great time because those were the days before Arlans, we had that whole field between 46th and 44th from Olie to Western, as well as the neighborhood to hide in. I guess that times were really good then, parents didn't have to worry as much about the trouble that kids would get into. Simple times for good times.

Weekends were the best, we would all go to Capitol Hill to the movies, I remember sitting through them at least twice every time. Seems like you could always run into someone you know to hang out with. I remember seeing my first monster movie at the Yale, Godzilla. Haven't cared for lizards since.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Hey Bowtie:...You sparked a great memory. Remember going to the movie on saturday mornings and watch the serials...they would have wacky races and if your ticket stub had the number of the winning whatever you got a free popcorn or coke. and then the serials ...especially the matinees . Every now and then a fight would erupt but it usually because someone threw a sack or something at them but, all in all we had a great time....Cheap baby sitter for the parents and some wonder "B" rated movies...then they ran us out so the real payers were there.

kevinpate
05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
In younger days, where ever there were friends, Dr. Pepper or cold inviting water, not necessarily in that order, and while 2 outta 3 ain't bad, any one was more than merely acceptable..

SE-76
05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I recall the bicycle being the key to a good summer. bolt on the basket and go crusing for pop bottles. gather enough to get that fist tank of mower gas, then you were on your way to TG&Y for the hottest summer comodities... comic books, caps, and maybe
a model.

Prunepicker
05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Did Gen64 mention getting a haircut? Not me!
Most of the time we stayed on the baseball field to get ready for baseball
practice. Occasionally we'd ride our bikes around the southside storm drains.
Once or twice a week we'd play golf in the morning at Hillcrest CC.

The best part of summer was not being in school.

A haircut?

papaOU
05-26-2009, 12:04 AM

Does that include the large "safety pin" with the matching number to the basket? I would like to have one of those.

Maybe '64 has one or two. Seems he has one of most any and everything.....
Do you have any in the van '64?

The Yale seems to have shown all the monster and horror movies....

papaOU
05-26-2009, 12:09 AM
did gen64 mention getting a haircut? Not me!
Once or twice a week we'd play golf in the morning at hillcrest cc.

A haircut?

a haircut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

papaOU
05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Did Gen64 mention getting a haircut? Not me!
Once or twice a week we'd play golf in the morning at Hillcrest CC.

A haircut?

A Haircut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon troop, gather 'round! '64 has touched the music box. Sing along with me now!!

Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It's gettin' kind of long
I could've said it was in my way

But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
And I feel like I owe it, to someone

Must be because I had the flu for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like looking in my mirror and seeing a police car

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
çause I've promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it, to someone

When I finally get myself together
I'm gonna get down in that sunny southern weather

And I find a place inside to laugh,
Separate the wheat from the chaff
I feel ...
Like I owe it, to someone, yeah

grantgeneral78
05-26-2009, 03:51 AM
A typical summer day would involve my friend BO and my tag along little brother riding the storm drains on our bikes and riding as far as we could to stroke up as many miles as we could on our pedometer speedo on the bike and at night turn on our headlights and tailigts which were operated by the tires like a generator and my gawd it was tougher to peddle! Then you put the baseball cards in the spokes with clothes pins and we were BAD!!!

Also hitting our favorite hang out spots billies taste freeze to get our big cups of ice, then over to tg&y to touch every toy on the shelf. Then head over to rudys redbud and watch the cartoons in the little theatre they had set up in the corner like a little theatre with rows of wood bench`s in it...and it we were lucky got to go to woodson and go swimming. Swimming lessons were the best there...all day swimming it seemed....great memories!

PennyQuilts
05-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Why didn't you tell mom she was lucky that your out that late and that far from home with a horse and not a boy............

Just kidding.

Hahaha! Different times, friend. And I was 13/14. Wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-26-2009, 04:59 AM
I lived in Ada as a kid.

We played with rocks and snapping turtles.

gen70
05-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Anyone remember the old swamp coolers? Didn't seem like they cooled a room that much, just made it more humid. My Mother used to say that whoever invented air conditioning was the smartest person who ever lived. Alot of my memories of OKC are of how hot is was in the summer.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Swamp coolers kick 37 kinds of ass when you live some place with no humidity. I had one in Denver, it was awesome.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Anyone remember the old swamp coolers? Didn't seem like they cooled a room that much, just made it more humid. My Mother used to say that whoever invented air conditioning was the smartest person who ever lived. Alot of my memories of OKC are of how hot is was in the summer.

My job was keep it filled up. When you had a big pecan tree for shade the summer it didn't seem to hot. When it was really hot , I do remember sleeping in the back yard, but that was when no one ever locked the doors

Generals64
05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
My job was keep it filled up. When you had a big pecan tree for shade the summer it didn't seem to hot. When it was really hot , I do remember sleeping in the back yard, but that was when no one ever locked the doors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know, we never locked the doors either and probably couldn't find the key if we did. Swamp Coolers bring back the memory my dad was long haul trucker and when he would come home on Friday night he would stop and empty ice out of the trailer (no refrigeration trailers then) and we would PACK ice in the Swamp cooler....Lucky me it was in my room......and we had water running to it from the hydrant outside.....Would last until about Monday afternoon and then here come Summer again....But man on friday night the Ice came again....The Summer was a wonderful time for Water balloon fights....Until someone thught it would be cool to put ketchup in them (Huh Village Idiot?) so, we got "Blue Waltz" perfume (I think it's 5.oo Gallon) and put it in ours...took most of the summer to get that smell off of you. Man, what happened to the Summer????? That's a good one....the southside group should meet for Hotdogs at the lake....wait a minute....Prunepicker in a Speedo......PapaOU in a swim suit?????I'll pass....See ya next time:...

papaOU
05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Swamp coolers kick 37 kinds of ass when you live some place with no humidity. I had one in Denver, it was awesome.

For people too young to know and for the older member's of this thread Oklahoma's climate as far as humidity has changed. The State had very little humidity and swamp coolers worked great. Because of the construction of the many man made lakes the humidity skyrocketed. I know the coolers were still used in the '60's.
My parents and grandparents talked at times about getting block ice. Bring a washtub or whatever into the house, put the ice in it, place a towel on top, and then an electric fan behind the tub and turn it on. A cool breeze would blow. Nothing compared to a/c but it was some relief.

Prunepicker
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
During our summer vacations, in the 50's, we had a mobile swamp cooler that
hanged on the passenger window. Mom's hair was always a mess on the
cooler side. Crossing the Mojave was the most uncomfortable part of the
trip.

Generals64
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
During our summer vacations, in the 50's, we had a mobile swamp cooler that
hanged on the passenger window. Mom's hair was always a mess on the
cooler side. Crossing the Mojave was the most uncomfortable part of the
trip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You laugh but, The village Idiot still has one of those machines in his attic....It is really cool (no pun intended) but it is in excellent shape....

Prunepicker
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
You laugh but, The village Idiot still has one of those machines in his attic...
It is really cool (no pun intended) but it is in excellent shape...

Why do I believe that? LOL

Hey, tell him to call me. I want to get the Model A painted!

Generals64
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Why do I believe that? LOL

Hey, tell him to call me. I want to get the Model A painted!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You got it:...have you seen his Model A???? it is a light Green with Saddle leather interior ....Really neat.....

Prunepicker
05-26-2009, 09:35 PM
You got it. have you seen his Model A? it is a light Green with Saddle leather
interior... Really neat...
Thanks. I haven't seen his. We're thinking of dark green. We don't want a
"show car" paint job because it's going to be driven.

TaoMaas
05-27-2009, 08:29 AM
...if you had a good looking older sister the big guys would let you go with them to Twilight Beach....
Twilight Beach? Was there one in OKC? In Duncan, it was a VERY different swimming pool...sandy bottoms, on the edge of town.

TaoMaas
05-27-2009, 08:34 AM
...Where did we hang out? Up and down the block, slept outside...

My brother, my best friend, and I used to sleep outside almost every night when the temperature was above freezing. I can remember one time when my mom made me sleep inside because it was supposed to storm out. I caught a HORRENDOUS summer cold. When my mom took me to the doctor, he asked, "Have you done anything differently?" My mom said, "Well, yes...he usually sleeps outside and I made him come in because I was worried about the storms." The doctor said, "It was the air conditioning that made him sick. Stick him back outside...he'll be fine." LOL LOL My brother and I were so disgustingly healthy during our youth that anytime we'd go to see this particular doctor, he'd greet us with, "Creature, what have you done to yourself now?" because he knew that 99% of the reasons we had to go to the doctor were self-inflicted.

gen70
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
When I wasn't playing baseball or at the lake with my parents it was Taylor Park. I can still remember some of the songs that played over the loud speakers.

Prunepicker
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
When I wasn't playing baseball or at the lake with my parents it was Taylor
Park. I can still remember some of the songs that played over the loud
speakers.

I saw Taylor Park for the first time after the last Southside meeting I
attended. Sometimes I'll cruise around.

USG '60
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Our Twilight Beach was the same here. Basically a pond. Rope swings, big trees, etc. It was on North May just past 63rd, I think ......maybe Wilshire, though.

papaOU
05-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Come on now! What about summer pranks?

One of my top 5! Remember when they came out with the portable signs and parked them in front of busnesses and such? 4 or 5 of us took one from in front of a church one summer night and moved it about six blocks away and placed it in front of a business.
Took it from a church.

Placed it in front of a bank.

Sign read:

Jesus saves here

PennyQuilts
05-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Hahaha!

My pranks were pretty pedestrian - stealing street signs (not traffic signs - just the ones with the name on it) and painting the graffiti bridge. I guess "sneaking out" doesn't qualify as a prank.

papaOU
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Hahaha!

My pranks were pretty pedestrian - stealing street signs (not traffic signs - just the ones with the name on it) and painting the graffiti bridge. I guess "sneaking out" doesn't qualify as a prank.

Sneaking out was a habit of mine as well.

Generals64
05-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Come on now! What about summer pranks?

One of my top 5! Remember when they came out with the portable signs and parked them in front of busnesses and such? 4 or 5 of us took one from in front of a church one summer night and moved it about six blocks away and placed it in front of a business.
Took it from a church.

Placed it in front of a bank.

Sign read:

Jesus saves here

Only you.....sheesh...that was a good one...I'll write that one down......

Generals64
05-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Hahaha!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I haven't gotten over the Horse bck riding after dark. Easy girl you're going to ruin my impression of you....

PennyQuilts
05-30-2009, 12:09 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I haven't gotten over the Horse bck riding after dark. Easy girl you're going to ruin my impression of you....

The sneaking out after dark was primarily to go horseback riding. I was considerably older before I was tempted to do anything else and once that started, I promptly married him and settled down to being a wife and mother. At 16.

papaOU
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Only you.....sheesh...that was a good one...I'll write that one down......

Where in the world have you been?

You and Prunepicker been out fishing together. Both of you seemed to have disappeared.

gmwise
05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
reading all this, it makes me sad for your long lost youths, and "the development" that progressed brought.
To all you old folks, sorry

winks

Generals64
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Where in the world have you been?

You and Prunepicker been out fishing together. Both of you seemed to have disappeared.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
traveling the highways and byways....Business has gotten "goofy" (o.k. with me though.....I wouldn't have the nerve to go fishing with anyone who catches flies...would you.....???? drove 2,600 miles last five days....yee-haw...for the ladies of the group I found a COACH purse store with a 50% and then another 50% sale going on......was a hero at my house....(for a few minutes anyway)...

papaOU
06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
traveling the highways and byways....Business has gotten "goofy" (o.k. with me though.....I wouldn't have the nerve to go fishing with anyone who catches flies...would you.....???? drove 2,600 miles last five days....yee-haw...for the ladies of the group I found a COACH purse store with a 50% and then another 50% sale going on......was a hero at my house....(for a few minutes anyway)...

Maybe you should have slipped some "green" in the purse.

Prunepicker
06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
... traveling the highways and byways... Business has gotten "goofy" (o.k.
with me though... I wouldn't have the nerve to go fishing with anyone who
catches flies... would you? drove 2,600 miles last five days. yee-haw... for
the ladies of the group I found a COACH purse store with a 50% and then
another 50% sale going on... was a hero at my house... (for a few minutes
anyway)...

Hey! I resemble that remark! I fly fish exclusively! I can barely remember
the last time I didn't. 9/11 comes to mind, but I threw cranks a couple of
times after that (throwing cranks means I cast lures and spinner baits)

Hey, I have a Coach Wallet. Will that purse look good on my shoulder? I
currently use a back pack in place of a purse. Prunette likes it because I
don't forget everything, make that many things.

I'll give you $5 for it.

OUCH! That hurt.

Prunette says I'll give you $3 for it.

Generals64
06-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Does that include the large "safety pin" with the matching number to the basket? I would like to have one of those.

Maybe '64 has one or two. Seems he has one of most any and everything.....
Do you have any in the van '64?

The Yale seems to have shown all the monster and horror movies....
you jest but, I gave Soonergirl one of those pins a few meetings back....Yep, it was in the old van....things sometimes grow in there...

Generals64
06-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey, how many of you guys went to Lincoln Park Zoo and washed and cleaned up you car out under the shade trees???? My girlfriend (now my wife) would always help she thought I was being thoughtful for keeping my car shiny and clean for her....little did she know I didn't have enough money to do anything else....But, we had a great time....

Generals64
06-13-2009, 04:42 PM
do you remember going to Turner Falls for a Saturday trip?...Sunburned and all but man it was fun....Never, never dive off the Falls.....How about Sulphur and walk the creek?....My parents would have killed me had they known we went that far without telling them.....But, so much fun......

papaOU
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
do you remember going to Turner Falls for a Saturday trip?...Sunburned and all but man it was fun....Never, never dive off the Falls.....How about Sulphur and walk the creek?....My parents would have killed me had they known we went that far without telling them.....But, so much fun......

You should feel loved and proud.

The only trips to Turner Falls and Sulphur were school sponsored.

Maybe their intent wasn't known then, But now!!!!!!!!!!

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
What about going to the State Fair. My mother and aunt would take us and a picnic lunch spend the day.

papaOU
06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
What about going to the State Fair. My mother and aunt would take us and a picnic lunch spend the day.

So when do you officially acquire your new position there at the Dept. of Wildlife? Good article about the person vacating the post in Sunday's paper.

:congrats: :elmer3:

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-16-2009, 07:43 AM
new position won't be me. Hate to see him leave

Generals64
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey folkd....it's Summertime.....I think we need to have a picnic at Lincoln Park across from Springlake.....Any of us with any age hung out a Springlake...How about it Sonnergirl and Southside Girl.......??????I know Prunepicker, Friskey, PapaOU, rickster,Bowtieguy,SE76,jellen,Soutside beautyqueen,Bulldog,and all the rest are up to it....Right?????Steve and Doug would even come I'm sure.....

bowtieguy
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey, I'm always up for a picnic.

papaOU
06-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey folkd....it's Summertime.....I think we need to have a picnic at Lincoln Park across from Springlake.....Any of us with any age hung out a Springlake...How about it Sonnergirl and Southside Girl.......??????I know Prunepicker, Friskey, PapaOU, rickster,Bowtieguy,SE76,jellen,Soutside beautyqueen,Bulldog,and all the rest are up to it....Right?????Steve and Doug would even come I'm sure.....

Count on me............on the east side of the lake? Is the lake still there?

oulefty
06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
We liked to go to the Archery Range ( 36th and Eastern) that used to be next to the 45th Armory and Lincoln Park Golf Course. Don't remember how many targets were setup but; you walked the course. Targets were fixed to a number of hay bales. Some we a short distance, some medium and some long distance. Since none of us were destined to be Rocket Scientist, after tiring of shooting arrows at targets we switched to stupid mode. As I mentioned the golf course was just outside of the tree line. We would walk over to the closest green (usually were 3 of us) and begin to shoot our aluminum arrows as straight up into the air as we could. As the arrows came back down to ground we could hear the zinging sound they made just before the arrows stuck into the ground on the green. I said we weren't Rocket Scientist material.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Was it this hot when we were kids?

FRISKY
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Was it this hot when we were kids?Probably...

I remember riding my bicycle more than 50-miles-per-day on days so hot the asphalt would melt off the road and stick to the tires.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Your probably right. But nothing better than a big shade tree and cold water from the water hose.

papaOU
06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Your probably right. But nothing better than a big shade tree and cold water from the water hose.

especially if it's well-water...........

I was telling my sisters sunday that I never understood it when adults would say "it's too hot to do anything". Now I understand.........

papaOU
06-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Remember:

When it was too hot to cook so the family had sandwiches for supper?

Watermelon vendors who would take a "plug" from the melon for you to see and taste?

Fresh fruit and vegetable stands beside the two lane "highways"?

When a woman in Moore was arrested for indecent exposure because she was mowing her lawn in a bikini and someone complained. Her picture was on the front page of the Daily Oklahoman.

Hate to see what she looks like today in a bikini!

RealJimbo
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Up on the north side 2 blocks and 50 million dollars away from Nichols Hills, I got on my bike every summer morning and pretty much stayed on it all day. My mom would call me home by going outside and honking the horn on our car. We had a "bicycle trail" down the street (really a dirt road) from my house in a vacant lot. It started on a high spot, circled downhill in a big sweeping curve then ended up taking you over a big jump. Fun!

We dug a "fort" in another vacant lot then covered it with old boards we picked up around the neighborhood then dirt on top of the boards. There was a tunnel on each end - one went up through an old oil drum with both ends out of it and the other was covered with one of those lids. We played cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, read comic books (sometimes a treasured Playboy), drank Mr. Cola, ate Baby Ruths or peanuts and often swiped a cigarette or cigar from our dads. Light was an old "smudge pot" someone snatched from a road construction site.

Those were the days...