View Full Version : Tonight Show w/ Conan O'Brien

Pages : [1] 2

jstanthrnme
05-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I've been a HUGE fan of Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien since he took over it. I'm sooo looking forward to him taking the reins of the Tonight Show.

I remember Johnny Carsons last week of the Tonight Show, and I don't really get the same vibe for Leno's exit from it. But thats understandable because he's really not retiring.. I'm looking forward to his new show too...but Conan is one of the funniest people ever on TV I think, and deserves this show. His genius really showed during the writers strike, when he just kind of winged it with his own material.

Anyone else on here a fan of Conan?

Thunder
05-24-2009, 02:54 AM
I think I saw a commercial of him with Linda on the news set.

Easy180
05-24-2009, 06:52 AM
I used to watch Conan religiously but stopped when I had to start getting up at 5 AM

Will definitely DVR the first few shows...It will be great to see him back with Andy Richter

OKCDrummer77
05-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I think I saw a commercial of him with Linda on the news set.

I saw that commercial last night. I wonder how many cities he went to to do a commercial like that.

bluedogok
05-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Nope...never a fan of his.

We would typically watch Leno then switch over to Craig Ferguson after, if we were still up. Will probably go back to Letterman after the news.

I saw that commercial last night. I wonder how many cities he went to to do a commercial like that.
Most of them, that is what he has been doing the past few months while he has been off the air. I've seen one from here (Austin).

jsibelius
05-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not a fan of Conan, although I have watched his show occasionally (including his final week). I probably won't watch the Tonight Show much after he takes over, but I won't be watching Letterman either. Maybe I've finally gotten the excuse I need to go to sleep earlier.

Karried
05-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I love Conan.... I used to think he was too silly but now I love him.

I can't STAND Jimmy Fallon.. I've never seen a more awkward, horrible interviewer than him.. he is so stiff, so not funny and I hate the way he interrupts his guests every chance he can!

I can't wait for Conan!

bushinspector
05-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I've tried to get in to Conan but I would bet that Letterman will have a large jump in viewers on June 1st. Conan just seems way to goofy to be a host on the tonight show. Will watch Jay on his new time slot this fall.

venture
05-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Not a Conan fan here at all. I'll probably go with Letterman and then continue to watch Craig. If anything, Craig is my favorite of all the late night shows.

kevinpate
05-25-2009, 05:52 AM
I occasionally catch a bit of the opening for Letterman or Leno, but as often as not that time of night is quiet time. A little reggae or jazz in the background, a little hug from the cpap, and a little respite from the rest of the world until the little birds begin to sing to announce a new day.

SoonerDave
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Cannot.

Stand.

Conan.

I used to watch Leno once in a great, great while.

No more.

drumsncode
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Leno is my guy. I could watch his monologues 4 hours a day. I can't take Conan or Letterman at all.

Thunder
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Conan is okay, but Leno is the best of them all. I still can't get over the Ronald McDonald getting up from behind the counter shooting and killing all those people and kids, all because of some people complaining about whatever it was at the counter.

:LolLolLol

Lord Helmet
05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm excited for the change. I can't stand Leno, and I love Conan.

Karried
05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Last night I'm trying to give Jimmy Fallon another chance and he starts highlighting funny commercials.... I'm watching one and it was a BBQ.. omg... it was really cheesy.....with a crazy song in the background.. then I see on the bottom. the address,

Air Depot, Midwest City, OK - omg!

Mr. Spriggs. Anyone see the commercial?

Gotta love the national exposure. I wonder why we can't shake our obesity reputation?

0PkgOqVdpkU

OKCisOK4me
05-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Last night I'm trying to give Jimmy Fallon another chance and he starts highlighting funny commercials.... I'm watching one and it was a BBQ.. omg... it was really cheesy.....with a crazy song in the background.. then I see on the bottom. the address,

Air Depot, Midwest City, OK - omg!

Mr. Spriggs. Anyone see the commercial?

Gotta love the national exposure. I wonder why we can't shake our obesity reputation?

Yeah, I watched that last night too. LMAO.

Personally I love Conan. Now I won't have to stay up an extra hour and a half to watch him. And Jimmy Fallon is hilarious. He has the greatest band of all--The Roots! I've never seen him interrupting anybody & if he has, dude, he's in his first months. For the Conan haters, he's in a new slot--earlier--I'm sure a few things are going to go by the wayside.

jsibelius
05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I like Jimmy Fallon and I think once he's been on the air for a while, he'll loosen up a bit and get better. I think Conan had the same problem when he started. By the way, that sousaphone in Jimmy Fallon's band makes me laugh every time I see it. I had to watch the last Leno, so I'm still up to see the start of Fallon. (Funny how we have Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, and Conan. He'll never be O'Brien. Always Conan. And it's past my bedtime now.)

jstanthrnme
05-29-2009, 10:50 PM
I too, watched the last Tonight Show w/ Leno. His move to primetime is pretty smart, and I think it will do well. I can't remember a network primetime show on 5 nights a week.

As far as Jimmy Fallon (watching him right now), He's okay. He's definately getting better, but I do see him interupt his guests (which curiously seems to be mostly SNL cast or alumns) to tell a story of his own. His sketches are pretty funny I think. The one w/ Susan Boyle was great IMO.

I watched last night when the Mr. Spriggs BBQ commercial was on. That commercial was a featured video of Will Ferrell on Funnyordie.com. Ferrells comment on the clip, something like..."This makes me want to move to Oklahoma and eat BBQ for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then Taco Bell for Fourth Meal."

venture
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I too, watched the last Tonight Show w/ Leno. His move to primetime is pretty smart, and I think it will do well. I can't remember a network primetime show on 5 nights a week.

It is smart in the fact this is the best way for NBC to reduce its primetime block. Since they are losing badly in the rating they needed to try something. The one option was to mimic FOX and only do 2 hours of primetime programming a night. Then came the threat from FOX and ABC to pick up Leno. So they did the next best thing and retained Leno on a new primetime show, while still essentially reducing their primetime block.

I think it may play well for NBC to at least get ahead of ABC. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights right now are the ones where I don't think Leno can win his time slot (CSI: Miami and NY both dominate that with 12-14 million viewers, The Mentalist on Thurs pulls over 16 million). Tuesday both ABC and CBS have new shows, so they'll be vulnerable. Friday he has 20/20 and Numbers to go against and neither are Top 20 juggernauts.

kevinpate
06-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Leno is Leno, but I'll be surprised if he beat either of the CSI's, or Numbers for that matter, except on repeat episodes. If any of them were moved, he would gain ground, but why would they be moved when they are proven for their slots.

I don't dislike Leno, but he can't crack, at my house anyway, against the Mentalist either. Solid casting and decent writing in that show.

Bunty
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not a fan of Conan, although I have watched his show occasionally (including his final week). I probably won't watch the Tonight Show much after he takes over, but I won't be watching Letterman either. Maybe I've finally gotten the excuse I need to go to sleep earlier.

Why not? Because he acts too much like an idiotic child?

Bunty
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
I've been a HUGE fan of Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien since he took over it. I'm sooo looking forward to him taking the reins of the Tonight Show.

I remember Johnny Carsons last week of the Tonight Show, and I don't really get the same vibe for Leno's exit from it. But thats understandable because he's really not retiring.. I'm looking forward to his new show too...but Conan is one of the funniest people ever on TV I think, and deserves this show. His genius really showed during the writers strike, when he just kind of winged it with his own material.

Yeah, I was recording him on DVR and will continue to do again. I hope that insult dog comic is back for more segments. The guy, Fallon, who replaced Conan is so boring. Won't be putting him on DVR.

nighttrain12
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I hope that insult dog comic is back for more segments. The guy, Fallon, who replaced Conan is so boring. Won't be putting him on DVR.

Triumph was a guest on Leno at least once so hopefully Conan will have him on from time to time as he did on his own show. I just hope he doesn't have to tone down his act for the earlier time slot.

OKCisOK4me
06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey, he did the zipper line or whatever it is where he pulls the invisible string through his body. I thought it was pretty good, and the set is really nice!

jstanthrnme
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree with the statement above.

The sketches were great. Him forgetting his keys after running across the country was gold. As was the sketch of him rolling around L.A. in his '92 Ford Taurus.

I will miss Joel Goddard as the announcer, and I was kind of dissapointed that Max Weinberg wasn't involved in a comedy sketch...but I know thats to come.

Also, the set is real classy. I read somewhere that Conan thinks that being the Tonight Show host is like being the CEO of showbusiness, and the set should show that. I certainly think it does.

You can watch it at hulu.com, or just tune in. Give conan a shot.

Cir-cle! Cir-cle! Cir-cle!

venture
06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Gave him about 15 minutes and just got bored with the show and turned it off. Maybe some other day.

jstanthrnme
06-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Gave him about 15 minutes and just got bored with the show and turned it off. Maybe some other day.

ouch...

Have a drink next time!

BailJumper
06-02-2009, 05:19 AM
I tuned in as well. I like Leno but feel no need to go out of my way to watch his show. However, being on earlier might change that. I think the move is good. Leno doesn't have to beat the competition at that time slot to be a success. They say his show costs far less to produce than one hour Drama's like CSI. In the end, top ratings or not they will make more money.

Conan is okay, but I think I'm just too old for his style.

USG '60
06-02-2009, 06:27 AM
I watched the whole thing and actually laughed 4 or 5 times. I was surprised as I didn't expect to crack a grin. I will say this, whatever it is that makes him not funny to me, Jimmy Falllen has a little bit more of it. There is nothing funny watching someone laughing at his own...uh...er uh...jokes(?). Sadly pathetic.

drumsncode
06-02-2009, 07:01 AM

That's exactly what I did!

Everything about Conan is boring. His timing is awful, especially the way he just drags everything out, keeps going back kicking a corpse of a joke, the whole thing.

His opening trip across the country was funny for about 1 minute, but in typical Conan style, it just dragged on and on and on and on and on and on (just like that sentence you just read).

This guy would not last two rounds on "Last Comic Standing", not a chance.

Steve
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
They need to let Conan be Conan. I watched last night and it was borderline uncomfortable. The chemistry between Conan and Andy was gone, the vibe of the old show was gone, and the audience and set all reeked of LA phoniness. I really wish they let Conan stay in NY.

OKCisOK4me
06-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Yep, as by this thread, you can tell it's an age thing. I'm sure some of us know how old others on this board are. Try posting, 'like' or 'dislike' with your age next to it. I guarantee you it's a new generation thing...

Karried
06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Well, I wouldn't say I'm in the young category any longer and I LOVE Conan! I used to think he was too slapstick, tried too hard ...but now is comfortable, has found his stride and makes me laugh more than any of the others.

But, I feel young and refuse to grow up ... so maybe that's why.

I truly cannot stand to watch Jimmy Fallon.. he is the most uncomfortable host I've ever seen. It borders on being painful to watch him.

venture
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Hum...do I really seem that old? I'm not even in my mid-30s yet. LOL

Now Craig Ferguson...I think he is hilarious. He has some dry nights, but he has a lot of really good ones. And you can't go wrong with singing puppets. The skits are pretty funny as well. The other thing I also like about him are the interviews are all improvised right there. He has questions but tears them up at the start of everyone and just lets the conversation go naturally.

Karried
06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Hum...do I really seem that old? I not even in my mid-30s yet. LOL

whoa. I thought you were much older.. I don't know why.

oneforone
06-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I give Potatoes O'Brien 6 months before he is replaced with someone else.

TaoMaas
06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I could be wrong, but I think NBC has screwed up. I think they only gave Conan "The Tonight Show" because they were afraid of him jumping to another network, as Letterman did. But the difference between Letterman (when Leno was named as the new host of The Tonight Show) and Conan is that Letterman's show was MUCH bigger at the time. Conan faces an uphill battle. He needs to bring his former audience along (which is going to expect edgy comedy), while retaining the current "Tonight Show" audience (which is more traditional in tastes). If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Leno's new fall show will be a lot more successful (and profitable) than anyone thought and Conan will struggle as host of The Tonight Show. I think Conan will eventually pull ahead, but not before a period of equal ratings with Letterman and a consequent revamping of The Tonight Show.

Matt
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I give Potatoes O'Brien 6 months before he is replaced with someone else.

A lot of people said the same thing back in '93. . .

SoonerDave
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
No predictions here about the longevity of any late host, but I will say the dynamics of late night TV are radically departed from those of the end of the Carson era.

That was back when you had the choices of two late night talk shows and Nightline. Not anymore. Carson was the unchallenged king of late-night TV, and Leno had no hope of capturing the same status. I used to be a huge Letterman fan, but have barely watched him in the last, oh, five years or so. Heck, my wife and I prefer to watch reruns of Frasier on KOCB..

And the best thing they could do to increase Conan's appeal is to, well, get rid of Conan entirely. I watched him a few times on his old show, and that was a few times too many...its a shame he's not half as funny as he *thinks* he is...alas...

Bunty
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
So how does it work? Coservatives hate Conan, while liberals love him?

fuzzytoad
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM

what's that make people who think Craig Ferguson is the best of the bunch?

venture
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
what's that make people who think Craig Ferguson is the best of the bunch?

We are sick and tired of how stupid and bitter the world has gotten and just like to laugh. :-P

Karried
06-05-2009, 04:22 PM
We are sick and tired of how stupid and bitter the world has gotten and just like to laugh. :-P

Yep.........

jsibelius
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM

It may be that way for some, but I suspect for many (as it is for me), the problem with Conan is not so much what he's making jokes about as it is the manner in which he creates humor. It's his comedic style - it's not for everyone. It's hard for me to describe it except in parallels. Last Christmas, I received a Jeff Dunham DVD. I watched it with my parents. They didn't laugh once, I couldn't wait to find another one. However, they still think Jerry Clower is laugh-out-loud, fall-out-of-your-chair funny, while I only laugh occasionally at his humor. I run into several people during the course of my day who think Dane Cook is wonderful, but I don't like his humor at all. And last, Monty Python's the Holy Grail generally is funniest when viewed with larger groups, and is barely funny at all when viewed solo.

So I guess what I'm thinking is that it's part generational, part evolutionary entertainment, and part personal taste. But I doubt political leanings have much to do with which late-night comedian you follow.

kevinpate
06-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Label me one as of those old enough to still enjoy hearing old Clower stories and Tom T hall music, and young enough to actually roll off the couch laughing with Dunham and his gang. I thought I might have torn something inside over Achmed's "WT<bleep> is poliosis?" routine.

I don't see me ever becoming a Conan fan though, and it's rare I catch more than a brief bit of Letterman. A lil' music and cpap suit me better most nights.

jstanthrnme
07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Conan just had a sketch about OKC. Regarding our low unemployment numbers. It should be on Hulu tommorow. I thought it was pretty funny.

dalelakin
07-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Did anyone catch the one the other night with "Oklahoma Redneck hops"? I think it was something to do with the Officer and the EMT debacle I didn't see all of it just caught it out of the corner of my eye.

drumsncode
07-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Since this thread rose up again, I've been meaning to give Conan some slight kudos. His show is getting better, at least his opening monologue which is all I watch. His jokes seem better and his timing is speeding up slightly. There may be hope for this guy yet! I accidentally laughed a few times over the past week (although I'd never admit to that in public!) ;-) Still, I await Jay Leno with the greatest of enthusiasm! :-)

westsidesooner
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
I saw it by accident last night. I never have caught on to his style of humor and have been watching letterman instead. Last night I just hadnt turned the channel in time and caught it. Anyone have a link to the other skit mentioned??

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Everyone Works In Oklahoma City! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/86343/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-everyone-works-in-oklahoma-city)

FritterGirl
07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I missed that one, but have seen the William Shatner reads Palin poetry. Classic!

TaoMaas
07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I liked Leno so I REALLY wanted Conan to fail. But...I kinda like his show. As much as I hate to admit it, NBC might have been right. Conan seems to bring that edgy, off-the-wall type of humor, that used to be Letterman's stock and trade, back to late night tv.

Matt
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I liked Leno so I REALLY wanted Conan to fail.

This type of mentality makes no sense to me.

TaoMaas
07-31-2009, 10:59 AM
This type of mentality makes no sense to me.

I thought that NBC did Leno kinda dirty, considering the history of The Tonight Show. Actually, I have nothing against Conan. I just wasn't completely convinced that he deserved the opportunity that he's been given.

Matt
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought that NBC did Leno kinda dirty, considering the history of The Tonight Show. Actually, I have nothing against Conan. I just wasn't completely convinced that he deserved the opportunity that he's been given.

Right on. That makes a little more sense now. (I don't necessarily agree with the last part, but it makes a little more sense.)

And yeah, they may have done Jay a little dirty at first, but they've kind of made it up to him now, wouldn't you say?

TaoMaas
07-31-2009, 11:19 AM
You have to realize that I'm an old codger, so I can remember how wildly popular Letterman's show was at the time NBC was looking for a replacement for Johnny Carson. Conan is okay (and I'll admit he's done a LOT better than I thought he would), but his popularity was nowhere near where Letterman's used to be. Now that all the decisions have been made and all the switches made, I have to say that Conan does bring a much younger (and needed) "edge" to the late night talk shows.

SoonerDave
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
NBC..did Leno dirty???

Unless I forgot something, didn't NBC give him the tonight show after Carson, and slap ol' Letterman across the mouth in the process? Doesn't sound like "doing him dirty" to me.

I also am a "codger" from that era, and remember when it was a given that Letterman was the heir apparent to Carson, even though Letterman's style was different. It was a stunner when they gave it to Leno, because apparently there was emerging concern within NBC about whether Letterman's brand of humor would lose "core" Tonight viewers, so they shafted him and gave it to Leno. Leno's OK, but I could count on one hand the number of times I've watched him. Just "ehhhhh." I guess I was too spoiled on Carson, and early-era Letterman.

I was a huge Letterman fan back in the day, but not so much in the last several years (increasingly crude, and I tire of the seemingly constant political diatribes, which he didn't really start until he became his own cottage industry). I simply will NOT give Conan the time of day. Can't stand him, never have, never will.

These days, I'm perfectly happy with the Frasier reruns on KOCB from 10:30-11:30

Matt
07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
NBC..did Leno dirty???

Unless I forgot something, didn't NBC give him the tonight show after Carson, and slap ol' Letterman across the mouth in the process? Doesn't sound like "doing him dirty" to me.

It was in reference to the way NBC forced him out of the show several years ago.

Bunty
08-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I liked Leno so I REALLY wanted Conan to fail. But...I kinda like his show. As much as I hate to admit it, NBC might have been right. Conan seems to bring that edgy, off-the-wall type of humor, that used to be Letterman's stock and trade, back to late night tv.

Surely, now you're back to wanting Conan to fail. In a skit last week Conan interviewed a fake Oklahoma City official over it having such a low unemployment rate. It only succeeding in making Oklahoma City look like an idiotic hicktown of a place. Now does any Oklahoma City official go around wearing a turquoise bow tie? I thought that bow ties went out years ago with that county district attorney.

Anyway, I'm surprised after the airing of the skit that no one is wanting to boycott the sponsors to the Tonight Show.

evh5150
08-01-2009, 11:54 AM

i wonder if both leno and conan have specific clauses in their contracts detailing that their iconic hair must not be altered.

leno had the black skunk patch up front by his forehead. conan has bangs that sorta flop to the side of his head. i dont think either one of them could walk in one day sporting a buzzcut..even though it would be cool by me.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I missed that one, but have seen the William Shatner reads Palin poetry. Classic!

Quite brilliant indeed.

I'm glad that Conan's doing well at Late Night. I even more glad that Hulu.com exists. I tend not to watch TV at night much.