View Full Version : 2009 Big 12 Baseball Tournament

bluedogok
05-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Has the attendance this year been that bad?

Here is an opinion piece in today's Austin paper...granted he is lobbying for it to be rotated here in Round Rock so it is a bit slanted. I kind of liked the fact that OKC hosted the tournament most of the years but I do kind of feel that it should rotate around if it isn't being supported like in years past. Since the others are rotated around it would make sense, although they need to stay away from the major league parks, those are just too big. I hate the fact that the minor league team here is in Round Rock, living in South Austin that makes it a minimum 45 minute or longer drive during rush hour going up I-35. One of the best things OKC did was put it central, even the old fairgrounds ballpark was a better location than it would have been putting it in Edmond which is what Round Rock effectively is. The new Stars minor league hockey team is going into Cedar Park, these communities actively pursued them whereas the City of Austin was more concerned with other things like bands playing too loud :doh:

Statesman.com - Big 12 should move baseball tournament to Round Rock (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/05/23/0523texbase.html)
Oklahoma City no longer best place for event; Dell Diamond would be better spot.

By Alan Trubow
Saturday, May 23, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY — Minutes after Texas' loss to Baylor on Wednesday at Bricktown Ballpark, Longhorns fans stood and sang "The Eyes of Texas" as they do after every game.

Throughout the entire grandstand, you could hear only one voice. Sure, it was opera-esque, but the ballpark was so empty and there were so few fans in the stands that one voice prevailed over every other sound in the stadium.

And that's how the Big 12 tournament has been so far this year:

Good baseball.

Bad crowds.

The problem? While the ballpark is great and perfectly located — the surrounding restaurants, hotels and bars make everything very convenient for players and their families — holding the tournament in Oklahoma City every year makes it seem stale, and fan interest is minimal.

When Texas takes on Kansas State today to decide one of the championship game participants, there will be many empty seats.

The solution is to move the tournament around every few years.

While the tournament is under contract to remain in Oklahoma City until 2011, its next site should be Dell Diamond in Round Rock.

"We would love to have the tournament here," Round Rock Express owner Reid Ryan said. "In fact, a couple years ago when the bid process came up, we made contact with the Big 12 offices and got an idea of the lay of the land. It was a little too late in the process to make a bid, but we're very interested and think it would be successful."

It probably would be, since Round Rock is an hour's driving time (or less) from three of the 10 Big 12 schools that field baseball teams. Texas is 20 minutes away. Texas A&M is about an hour away. Baylor is an hour away.

"I think it would be a great idea to move it around," Texas coach Augie Garrido said. "And Round Rock would be a great place for it. You know our fans would travel there, because they did when we had to play there a couple years ago. And Texas A&M would go there and so would Baylor."

Yes, it would be more difficult for teams such as Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State to travel to the tournament, but the schools aren't paying their travel costs to the conference tournament anyway. That's the Big 12's responsibility.

"I don't think it would necessarily be more expensive travel-wise if we held it in Round Rock," said Bob Burda, the Big 12's assistant commissioner for communication. "It depends on what teams make it, but I really don't think that will be a problem."

There also wouldn't be as many upscale restaurants or hotels within walking distance of Dell Diamond, compared to the area around Bricktown Ballpark, which is located in Oklahoma City's tourist and entertainment district.

But money is the biggest factor the Big 12 will consider when it comes to choosing a host site in the future. And the biggest factor when it comes to money generated at the Big 12 tournament is ticket sales.

There's no doubt that a Big 12 tournament in Round Rock would sell more tickets than what the tournament currently sells.

The stands at Bricktown Ballpark have been empty this year, in part because Oklahoma State did not make the tournament. Oklahoma, meanwhile, has one of the most apathetic baseball fan bases in the conference. And Nebraska, which has the best traveling fan base, also isn't in the field.

The other reason there are so few fans is because the tournament has been here in 11 of the past 13 years. The luster has worn off for the locals.

That wouldn't be the case in Round Rock.

You know Texas fans would pack the place. You know Texas A&M fans would show up. Baylor fans ... well, there would be some Baylor fans there.

Baseball is the only Big 12 conference tournament among the big three sports (including football and basketball) that doesn't rotate locations.

It's time to change that. So move it to Omaha, Neb. Move it to Frisco, Texas.

Or, the smartest move: bring it to Round Rock.

"It's a possibility," Burda said. "We're definitely going to look into different locations.

"I know Omaha has expressed interest in having it. And I think Round Rock would like to have it, too."

Now it's up to the Big 12 to make it happen.

fromdust
05-23-2009, 01:48 PM
austin is not the only place talking. tulsa wants their grubby hands on the tourney too. Big 12 Baseball Championship May Leave OKC - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | (http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10412240)

venture
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Could probably argue that if Texas didn't make the tourney, having the game in Round Rock would make it just as empty. However, that doesn't excuse the local community from not supporting these events. Even the Triple A baseball championship game struggles to fill seats, when they could move that to another city that could probably do better.

Soonerman
05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I figured with OU having a great year They would bring in a good crowd. OSU not being there didn't help matters any.

nighttrain12
05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I figured with OU having a great year They would bring in a good crowd. OSU not being there didn't help matters any.

I made it to the 3rd OU game, against Missouri and it had over 7,000 there. I think that is pretty reasonable knowing that the following week, most of those 8 teams were going to be playing in the more important NCAA baseball tournament.

kevinpate
05-29-2009, 04:36 AM
If we lose it, blame me I suppose. In all the years the event has been hosted in OKC, I've never purchased a ticket. I've only rarely been aware of when the event is in town. Sorry to let you baseball fans down. Once the players get above elementary school level, the game loses a lot of its fun factor.