View Full Version : Please...not Oklahoma City!!!!

Dave Cook
05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Now the fun starts.

Our first experience with the NBA draft and already high profile players aren't wanting anything to do with Oklahoma City (or Memphis).

Surprise, surprise.

From the Oklahoman:
-----------------------------------------
You knew it was coming.

It’s been less than two full days since the Thunder moved into the top three in the NBA Draft and we already have our first report of Ricky Rubio having no interest in playing in Oklahoma City.

According to the Web site Draftexpress.com, Rubio’s camp is uninterested in seeing their prized 18-year-old point guard phenom begin his career in either of the cities that have the No. 2 and 3 picks.

“From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.”

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. (Dan) Fegan (Rubio’s agent) wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City.”

Luke
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
You'd think a kid from high school would be like, "Man, I get to play in the freakin' NBA!"

Sounds like a spoiled brat.

Dave Cook
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
From a marketing perspective, it makes sense. I would think Memphis and Oklahoma City would be the NBA versions of the Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques. Not a dream destination.

And as an agent, you want your client in an LA.

But then again, I'm not sure Sacramento is an ideal destination either.

OKCisOK4me
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
There's two ways at looking at this. We can say forget him and spit on him when he HAS TO play for Oklahoma City or we can wrap our arms around him and show him our hospitality and liking of him no matter what ill conceived notion he may have for us, so that when next year is over he'll react by saying "boy, oh boy, was I ever wrong about this place and it's people".

Laramie
05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
We must remember that these draftees must eventually prove themselves.

:bedtime:

Rubio is in no position to start saying where he wants to play. He needs to get his butt in the NBA first and hope that he can play a full season without injury with the big boys before his mouth writes a check his but can't cash.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
You'd think a kid from high school would be like, "Man, I get to play in the freakin' NBA!"

Sounds like a spoiled brat.

Dude's been a pro for about 2-3 years now in Europe. I don't get the feeling that the whole "Playing in the NBA" thing is a bit different for guys like that.

Nevertheless, he and his agent should have thought about that prospect before entering the draft.

Who knows, maybe this will actually get those trade talks with the Clips I keep hearing national people say the Thunder need to make.

Luke
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
...prized 18-year-old...

Dude's been a pro for about 2-3 years now in Europe.

???

Watson410
05-22-2009, 10:33 PM
???

He has played professional basketball since he was 15. I still think he should have to prove himself in the NBA before demanding ANYTHING!

so1rfan
05-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Maybe he doesn't want to come to OKC because he will sit on the pine while RW gets triple doubles.

Luke
05-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Kid could be the next Michael Jordan, but if I was a coach, I'd have a really hard time with that kind of an attitude. I want people who are grateful to be here.

That's just me.

Easy180
05-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Of course his agent wants him in a large market...No big surprise there

If he does land here I'm sure he will get over the small market thing once he realizes he will be playing alongside Durant, Green and Westbrook