View Full Version : Metro Throughfares

westsidesooner
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM
We go on local roadtrips/sunday drives from time to time and have spent some time exploring the metro using the throughfares. Its really interesting to take one road.....say 63rd all the way from west to east, or Council south to north and see how much variety there is in OKC. We've only done this a few times and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which throughfare has the best views of Okc, the most variety in landscape and topography, and the most unique buildings/attractions along it. I really love Council south to north because it gives you the feeling of being in a city and in the country at the same time......others might call it a good example of urban sprawl. But I like the variety of seeing a horse pasture next to a housing addition. Plus you get the wide open views from west of wilet post. Of the roads that go all the way from n-s or e-w across Oklahoma county which would you suggest as an interesting drive?

Also

Anyone know why so many of the north-south throughfares take a jog right around Wilshire blvd.?

DaveSkater
05-20-2009, 09:58 AM
May is pretty diverse. And you can go for a LONG way. (lock your doors when approaching tenth street heading south....)

metro
05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd try NW 23rd from Lake Overholser to Choctaw. Talk about diverse. Probably the best mix of diversity and architecture in the city.

windowphobe
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Anyone know why so many of the north-south throughfares take a jog right around Wilshire blvd.?

It's a township boundary; the section lines didn't always line up. (This is, technically, T12N-R3W, Wilshire to Reno, Bryant to May; it's the third range west of the Indian Meridian, and it's twelve townships north of the base parallel, about a mile from old Fort Arbuckle. All legal descriptions of land in this state - except in the Panhandle - begin at the intersection of those two lines.) Given the fact that we're drawing straight lines on what is more or less a sphere, you can think of these as corrections due to the curvature of the earth.

Once upon a time I drove the entire length (circumference?) of Grand Boulevard. Now that's a day-trip.

CCOKC
05-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I am glad there is someone else out there with a sick mind like mine. I used to say Penn was the best throughfare in the city with the most diversity but now it dead ends at the river due to the I-40 construction. Have you ever noticed the street signs on Hwy 9 south and west of Norman towards Newcastle? Santa Fe, Western, Penn, May and Portland. I've tried to follow all of them as far as they will go but the Canadian River gets in the way. Western is the street that goes through the farthest south all the way to Robinson street in Norman and has a great amount of fun things to see along the way.

OKCisOK4me
05-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I just prefer to save gas and look at the routes via Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash (http://www.flashearth.com)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-21-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd try NW 23rd from Lake Overholser to Choctaw. Talk about diverse. Probably the best mix of diversity and architecture in the city.

That's a good one.

S. 29th is a good one too. I don't know how far west it goes, but east...Well past Choctaw. Wave at me when you drive through Choctaw. I'm quite the attraction.

You can hop on Sooner in Edmond and go all the way through Norman, Noble, and beyond (turns into highway 77). Stop by Thunder Valley and watch some racing on the weekends (Friday nights are the best).

westsidesooner
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
It's a township boundary; the section lines didn't always line up. (This is, technically, T12N-R3W, Wilshire to Reno, Bryant to May; it's the third range west of the Indian Meridian, and it's twelve townships north of the base parallel, about a mile from old Fort Arbuckle. All legal descriptions of land in this state - except in the Panhandle - begin at the intersection of those two lines.) Given the fact that we're drawing straight lines on what is more or less a sphere, you can think of these as corrections due to the curvature of the earth.

Thanks...I always thought it was something like that but wasnt sure. Aren't there some streets that dont jog......western maybe? BTW where is the old fort arbuckle?

Good choice...I live just off 23rd near Overholser. Sad thing is whenever I go cross-town I always avoid 23rd because of all the traffic lights. But you're right, lots of diversity. From the lake to the old shephard mall shopping district to the capitol......

S. 29th is a good one too. I don't know how far west it goes, but east...Well past Choctaw. Wave at me when you drive through Choctaw. I'm quite the attraction.

I'm sure you are....why is it that I have the feeling when I drive into Choctaw there'll be a picture with you're avatar welcoming everyone to Choctaw. I know several people from Choctaw.....they are all party animals. What do they put in the water there? :dizzy:

May is pretty diverse. And you can go for a LONG way. (lock your doors when approaching tenth street heading south....)

We use to take May all the time when leaving the northside and going to Norman for football (pre I-44). lot of memories there. And you're right...parts of it are kinda sketchy.

And cc. I love the neighborhoods along the throughfares in south OKC near the river....to bad some of them (the throughfares) dont cross. I take Penn til it deadends then cut over to Western then south to Norman on my way to football games. It might not be quicker than 35, but its much more scenic. And Western has some great neighborhoods on the far northside too.

Thanks for the suggestions........keep em coming.

kevinpate
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Take a loop less traveled

Pick up W Britton on the east side of Lake Hefner
East across OKC and onward east to and through Jones, America
Hwy 102 South across I-40, on through Harrah and onward to HWY 9
West on Hwy 9 below Dirtybird and Norman, follow I-35 South briefly
Continue W on Hwy 9 past Riverwind, follow the turnpike spur west
(small cash only toll involved if you don't have a pike pass)
Go across I-44 and continue west, then north on Hwy 4
North on Hwy 4 beyond Mustang Yukon and onward north to W Britton Rd
East on West Britton to the west side of Lake Hefner
Circle around Hefner to your starting point, or not, as you elect.

Oh, stop and smell some flowers along the way. Gas is rising again so make it worth your while.

windowphobe
05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
BTW where is the old fort arbuckle?

In Garvin County, near I-35, north of the Arbuckle Mountains. Nothing left of it today but a chimney or two - and the land marker, which is a mile to its south.

Oh, and Western does have a jog near Wilshire.

Chronicles of Oklahoma (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v006/v006p026.html)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-22-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm sure you are....why is it that I have the feeling when I drive into Choctaw there'll be a picture with you're avatar welcoming everyone to Choctaw. I know several people from Choctaw.....they are all party animals. What do they put in the water there? :dizzy:

lol...Dunno. I'm on well water.

And there are some loony folks out here. I just moved here a month ago though...Not much partying, just moving and setting up the new place.

FritterGirl
05-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Others have mentioned Western in brief, but I thought it worth noting.

You can take it all the way from around Cooksey Road in Logan County (north of SH 33), then go all the way down to Robinson in Norman.

Farmland up north (gravel, unpaved roads, even) - Free To Live Animal sanctuary is up here, too;

Exurbs (smaller farms/acreages);

Suburbs of Edmond/North OKC (stop at Vintage Cafe at 150th and say hi to Jim Stark, then wave to your fellow OKC Talkers who live in the general area - you all know who you are);

Go through part of the hood between 122nd and Britton;

"Antiques Alley" between Britton and Wilshire;

Next, Nichols Hills, Chesapeake campus and the Deep Fork/McGuinness area;

Moving along to the quirkiness of the 42nd Street area: The Wedge, Will Rogers Cafe, Sushi Neko, Cafe Nova, the French Cowgirl, Musashis and more wonderful antique stores (Mockingbird Manor is fabulous);

Then onto 23rd street and the Asian District area & Mesta Park;

I think Western goes 1-way (North) for a jog right at 18th street so you have to cut over to Classen to the West, cross it, then get back on Western going South...

Downtown area...Capitol Hill.

I'm not really familiar with the area between I-40 and I-240.

Once you get down towards Moore and North Norman, you start to see lots of beautiful horse farms and training facilities - one right after the other.

When you finally get to Robinson Ave in Norman, Western jogs left (near the Polo field, I think).

With so much to see and do, especially in certain parts of the road, that could make for an interesting day trip.

westsidesooner
05-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Alot of you mentioned Western.....and it is one of my favorites, especially far north and far south. I also plan on trying Britton road all the way from hwy4 to the east side.....Jones? Obviously taking a jog around the lake. The areas on the outskirts are really fascinating to me. A great mix of urbad and rural. Plus there some realy great country estates scattered about.