View Full Version : Question about traffic from Yukon/Piedmont to downtown OKC

JAW
05-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello, new poster long-time lurker here, and I have a rather dry question. We are looking to buy a house near NW Expressway and Killpatrick Turnpike (school system straddles Yukon, Putnam City, and Piedmont to give an idea), but daily commute time is a huge issue for various reasons. How backed up is I40 eastbound from Killpatrick to Walker in the morning (and vice versa after 5 PM)? Would Killpatrick to 66 to downtown be faster? Would taking the NW expressway to I44 in the morning and afternoon be insane?

Any info would be much appreciated.

DaveSkater
05-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Excellent question, one I look forward to hearing about as well. I just bought a house in Surrey Hills and I'll be looking forward to the morning grind from there to near the airport. I'll wager that a pike pass is in my immediate future.....

OKCisOK4me
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Excellent question, one I look forward to hearing about as well. I just bought a house in Surrey Hills and I'll be looking forward to the morning grind from there to near the airport. I'll wager that a pike pass is in my immediate future.....

On if they extend the Kilpatrack in the southwest part of OKC around and near to the airport?

fromdust
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
right now i live in surrey hills; dont take the expressway. its in a perpetual state of suck, especially during the rush hours. your best bet is to take the wavy bridges on the turnpike to 40. depending on when you leave is key. when i used to drive to the south side for work iwould leave at a certain time and would be fine, but if i left even 15 min later 40 would screw me.

kmf563
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I've taken that path may times. I would definitely avoid NW Expressway. I-40 isn't bad if you hit the time frame just right. But if there is one sprinkle or wreck forget it. 66 has too many stop lights and a speed limit of 35 for most of the way. I would recommend Reno rather than that. I would stick with I-40 and suggest leaving around 7:15 to get there by 8am. Traffic really picks up between 7:40 and 8am so you would might be a little early, but rather that than 30 minutes late.

metro
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
You could always drive it yourself during those times of day for a "test run" before you decide to move your family out there. Everyone has their own driving habits and speeds. If you're talking about a major investment such as a house, I think it would be worth trying that once or twice, I know I would. Just my two cents.

MadMonk
05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I drive that way to work too. If I leave at 7:20 (and there are no wrecks/weather), I generally pull into the parking garage about 5 minutes to 8. If I leave at 7:30, I seem to hit the traffic and get there around 8:15-8:20. I don't have to be at work until 8:30 so leaving at 7:20 allows me a reasonable amount of time to get into the office and maybe grab a bite before starting the day. Depending on where you are going and how strict they are about promptness, I'd say leave around 7:15 or slightly earlier to account for variables.

NW Expressway is a definite no-no.

DaveSkater
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Kind of what I anticipated. I'll have a kid or two to drop off, so that will be a limiting time factor. I have pretty lenient bosses, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

NikonNurse
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Alternate ways: Council down to I40....the quickest road north south.(but I HATE I-40) Kilpatrick around to Broadway (much better since the construction) if broadway backs up..you can get off and head south on western.