View Full Version : Bricktown losing momentum

Pages : 1 [2]

Patrick
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Those are simply outdoor malls...? Doesn't seem like that's what we're going for...

You're absolutely insanely crazy if you are opposed to a development like The Grove in Bricktown. We don't necessarily want a mall, but for retail to succeed in Bricktown, we'll need a dense mass with anchors, similar to how a mall is set up. Even San Antonion Riverwalk has a mall with anchors.

okcpulse
05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
You're absolutely insanely crazy if you are opposed to a development like The Grove in Bricktown. We don't necessarily want a mall, but for retail to succeed in Bricktown, we'll need a dense mass with anchors, similar to how a mall is set up. Even San Antonion Riverwalk has a mall with anchors.

Patrick is absolutely right. We need to stop confusing ourselves into believing OKC can't support this kind of development, even in Bricktown. Randy Hogan had the keys to the kingdom. He blew it. What's down there is nice. But we don't need nice, we need awesome. Bricktown's association killed off hopes for such a development over parking concerns. What a joke. Just what in the hell are they holding out for?

okcpulse
05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Patrick, one more thing. I am beginning to wonder if the movers and shakers of OKC are reserving the greatest potential not for Bricktown. Core To Shore, perhaps? Tuscana near Quail Springs Mall will get developed. It will take longer, much in the same way Spring Creek in Edmond happened, but the Tuscana developers are successful in attracting high-end retail for their developments so I have no doubts about Tuscana.

That being said, I applaud you for your stance on constructive criticism for Bricktown. It needs to be more than what it has become. My wife and children will be guests in Bricktown during the first week of June. And you now how I much I love OKC. I am going to look deep into the heart of Bricktown and take my concerns to the Bricktown Association. Luckily, they want to steer in a different direction now. Bars and restaurants are no longer the end-all be-all of a district.

bluedogok
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Rivercenter Mall has been losing tenants to The Rim (and other places) which is the new "lifestyle center" in North San Antonio. Dillard's closed their Rivercenter store in the old Joske's building last year. San Antonio also has something like a 25 year head start on Bricktown but there are areas on/near the Riverwalk which doesn't look too much different than what Bricktown looked like when I was in OKC in February.

I work in The Domain here in Austin in the Simon owned/controlled portion and it is just as plastic and fake as those pictured above. They power wash the sidewalks every morning and they way they manage office space reeks of mall management, I have no idea if they actually manage the apartment portion. Most of those were greenfield/brownfield developments (The Domain was a former IBM manufacturing facility) which is easy to strip clean and build new. I do agree that the South Canal portion would have been perfect for that type of development but not at all for the North Canal, it needs to develop within itself. I do feel that many of the North Canal owners seem to lack a certain "vision" of what their properties could be. To me Bass Pro would have been better located in the I-40/Meridian area.

When I did the JDM Place building I know that the owner wanted to raise the level of development along the canal and hoped it would spur others to follow suit. I also know that I have been disappointed by the fact the Canal level of that building is still vacant. Since there are constraints like ceiling height in that area I always felt it needed to be some sort of multi-tenant space with place like a convenience store and food court in there would be the best utilization of a difficult space.

Patrick
05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
In regards to parking, even The Grove has structured parking which they charge for. In large cities they charge for parking everywhere.

I agree that we don't want a suburban mall in Bricktown. But I think the Bricktown property owners need to band together and work together to attract retail starting with anchor tenants like major department stores. As has been mentioned before, a local bookstore like Full Circle would be a nice start. With 50 Penn not doing well, I'd try to go after Full Circle. Once we get some anchor retailers in place, other smaller retailers will follow suit.

metro
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Those are simply outdoor malls...? Doesn't seem like that's what we're going for...

I agree, why they are denser developments, they are still outdoor suburban lifestyle centers. Not exactly what we need in our Downtown Core, however sadly it is better than most of what we have in Bricktown or in the rest of the City.

warreng88
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
What I liked about Branson Landing was they had the shops and restaurants on the boardwalk, condos and offices above and big Hilton hotel tied into the whole thing. It was one big free for all. Also, if I remember correctly, there seemed to be a large transit center very close to the whole thing.

JLCinOKC
05-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm old enough to remember Bricktown as it was before the canal. Anyone else go to Club 508 or The Pyramid in the 80's? Bricktown, while moving slowly, is moving. I went yesterday and walked around. The canal level is a shambles! I would think the City would at least force the property owners to cap off or finish the exposed foundations and bits of dirt!

hoya
05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Of all those locations, only the LA one really impressed me. Kansas City and Branson look nice, but really aren't any different than Bricktown except a higher occupancy rate. I think we've made huge strides in the last 10 years, and it's still growing. I'm not worried.

Jesseda
05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
If you built it, they will come

Patrick
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I think simply filling the empty buildings on the north canal with retail stores and more restaurants would be the best solution. And a nice large building on the empty lot would be nice.

Platemaker
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
The Grove is what Lower Bricktown should have been all along... and it could still happen..... :/

HSC-Sooner
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
The Grove is what Lower Bricktown should have been all along... and it could still happen..... :/

I've been to the Grove before. The perma-Farmer's market/food vendors make a really strong anchor for the Grove. Imagine if we have a set up like that in Oklahoma with its agriculture/wine/ranch background. Add a few local food vendors with cheap rent and we'll have a great start.

Unfortunately, I don't think OKC weather can support a fully outdoor mall like the Grove.

Luke
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Year Round Bricktown...

http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/world/images/wbrlftout.jpg

By the way, that's Tokyo Disneyland's version of Main Street, USA called World Bazaar.

Patrick
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think OKC weather can support a fully outdoor mall like the Grove.

Actually the weather in Branson and Kansas City isn't much different from here. Same with Tulsa and Utica Square.

OKCMallen
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Actually the weather in Branson and Kansas City isn't much different from here. Same with Tulsa and Utica Square.

Have you been to Kansas City in December?! Significantly different than here.

OKCMallen
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

I don't want an outdoor mall. I want an entertainment district with enough retail to help attract tourists and provide stability for the area. You can keep your American Eagle in a traditional mall; we don't need it in Bricktown.

As to momentum, etc., I think a solid contributory factor is that leasing prices are too high. Not because I am in the know and have compared them to regional leasing rates, but because of the following logic:

1. Lots of shuttered buildings still that are immedaitely leaseable and usable indicates that people don't think it's financially viable to lease the space.

2. A lack of smaller, individually owned establishments. Why is it so hard to have a small space locally owned? D's Pub I hope makes it, but it's been several things already. Paralogia just opened...it's local I think, right? Other than that, there aren't many smaller, individually owned space in BRicktown. Owners are sitting there waiting to hit a homerun with a big-name (and probably boring and homogenized) tenant to come save the day, I guess? When we fill up like those other developments mentioned above with Chico's Shoes and Dippin Dots, I'll go to Bricktown even less because it will be a soulless, contrived outdoor mall with NOTHING original or unique about it. (BTW, it's my understanding that Dave and Busters often tries to fill existing space as opposed to buidling new buildings....we've discussed it ad nauseum, but it would be a good "homerun" for an owner with a large space in Bricktown.)

In NYC, I can't imagine the leasing is CHEAPER than OKC, yet I went into some nice holes-in-the-wall that managed to survive. We don't have that here because I'm guessing, relative to the market, our leasing rates are too high. E.g.- How long has the Green Door been closed and available to lease? Someone should have been frothing at the bit to get in there, clean up, and takes their chances on opening a new venue.

Urbanized
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
In regards to parking, even The Grove has structured parking which they charge for. In large cities they charge for parking everywhere.

I agree that we don't want a suburban mall in Bricktown. But I think the Bricktown property owners need to band together and work together to attract retail starting with anchor tenants like major department stores. As has been mentioned before, a local bookstore like Full Circle would be a nice start. With 50 Penn not doing well, I'd try to go after Full Circle. Once we get some anchor retailers in place, other smaller retailers will follow suit.
Interesting. The owner of Full Circle Bookstore is one of the most longstanding, prolific and respected property owners in Bricktown. He owns buildings (Glass, Confectionary) that have been substantially leased for years, all finished to a very high quality, buildings originally begun by Neal Horton. He also, by the way, is the driving force behind the Myriad Botanical Gardens Foundation and many other worthwhile endeavors in Oklahoma City.

I'm sure that he has thought often about locating a branch of his first love, Full Circle Books, in Bricktown. I can't speak for him, but I suspect if the numbers worked, it would have happened long ago. Perhaps it will happen in the future, as Bricktown and downtown develop as neighborhoods.

He does, however, supply most of the dozens of Oklahoma book titles found in my store. We even list "Full Circle Bookstore" on our signage listing products carried inside. You're welcome to come visit sometime and see an example of a small, local, reasonably upscale retailer working to make it happen on the canal level in Bricktown.

I'll make you a deal; if you have a personal idea for a quality retail concept that would work on the canal PLUS the financial resources to make it succeed, or know someone who does, I will personally leave no stone unturned in helping in finding canal-front space at a reasonable rent structure. I'm pretty certain we can do it. This is you or anyone you know or personally make contact with that is for real. Not a "you know what they should do down there..." type of thing.

Seriously, the canal is horribly underutilized and has definitely had issues with maintenance and visual appeal. All I can tell you is that improving/leasing the canal has become one of the top issues for the Bricktown Association and director Jim Cowan over the past six months or so, based on personal conversations I have had with him about it. I'm only saying that you can expect the canal to be headed in a direction obviously, measurably OPPOSITE of decline very soon.

As for the rest of Bricktown, I think Steve and some others have made some pretty solid points regarding how much is continuing to happen in Bricktown, even with an economic slowdown. I think you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that the district as a whole is on anything other than a successful track.

Urbanized
05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Also, put me down under the category of folks who don't want to ever see Bricktown become a contrived, Disney-flavored, EIFS-clad candyland with a bunch of generic chain stores.

And, like I said before, I personally think the canal itself is best suited for smaller, local, funkier retail places, restaurants, even a few quirky bars (though no more clubs, thanks), probably in that order. If we can make those happen the rest will come. And I NEVER said that Bricktown in general is not the right place for great destination chain retailers. Crate and Barrel, Urban Outfitters, West Elm? I would absolutely love to see them down here, but think the will be more likely to arrive and thrive in places like the once-proposed Steelyard District. Who knows? I might be wrong on that, and would love to be actually, but I think we have to crawl before we can walk down here and to do that we have to lure some great local, independent retail.

megax11
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I think we need a longer canal.

The canal in San Antonio is a very good size.

Pete
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
The Grove is a great development but keep in mind there is no business there that is unique. It has a theater chain found all over the LA area, a Nordstrom and a bunch of retailers and restaurants that also have lots of other LA locations. I've lived in SoCal for 20 years and love urban development, yet I've been to The Grove once, and only because an out-of-town friend was staying nearby. I haven't been back and that's been about five years now.

The reason for it's success is it's in the middle of a very dense, high-income population. In fact, Caruso (the developer) has several similar types of developments, mostly in suburban locations.

It's so easy to get around OKC that Bricktown can't merely be for businesses duplicated elsewhere in town. The large percentage of the current Bricktown businesses are unique to that district (at least in the metro) and if that weren't the case, we all know most people would merely just go to the spot closest to their home.

Also, very few chains are going to put their first location (say a Crate & Barrel or Nordstrom) in our downtown with so few people in proximity. And even if they did, they would probably do it with the intention of opening more in the area, and then we are back to the point I made above.

One of the obvious solutions is housing, both in the district and the surrounding areas. There are still only a few hundred (!) people living within walking distance and so you are left with destination restaurants and clubs.

Until we see a bigger development or two in the area (meaning a developer must be willing to make a huge investment and take on substantial risk) and/or we get substantially more people living in the immediate area, I think the district is about at the limits of what it can be.

OKCMallen
05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Pete is probably about right. Need more affordable housing. Funny, when I go to Bricktown and I see people in the bars and restaurants, they're not all 150k+ people...

dismayed
05-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I've been to the Grove before. The perma-Farmer's market/food vendors make a really strong anchor for the Grove. Imagine if we have a set up like that in Oklahoma with its agriculture/wine/ranch background. Add a few local food vendors with cheap rent and we'll have a great start.

I've been to the Grove before too. Very nice place, very upscale, but I agree with other posters it is largely an outdoor mall. Some of that would be cool in Bricktown though.

It's interesting what you said about the Farmer's Markets in California. I have yet to see anything as good as what California does in Oklahoma. And I don't understand why that is given all the agriculture in Oklahoma. Sure we have a Farmer's Market off of I-40, but come on it is nothing like some of the stuff I've seen in LA. Why is that?

HSC-Sooner
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I've been to the Grove before too. Very nice place, very upscale, but I agree with other posters it is largely an outdoor mall. Some of that would be cool in Bricktown though.

It's interesting what you said about the Farmer's Markets in California. I have yet to see anything as good as what California does in Oklahoma. And I don't understand why that is given all the agriculture in Oklahoma. Sure we have a Farmer's Market off of I-40, but come on it is nothing like some of the stuff I've seen in LA. Why is that?

Californians have some pretty intensive agriculture in the valleys. They may also have better access to exotic produce due to its location.

bluedogok
05-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Why is that? It seems to work fine in Tulsa, two places in Kansas City with the one posted above and Country Club Plaza. Even the majority of higher end shopping is in what would be considered open air shopping districts in Chicago, NYC and Boston and their winters are much worse.

In reality all of the big-box retail centers all over OKC are nothing more than open-air malls and they seem to be doing well for the most part. Weather is nothing more than a lame excuse.

That's because much of it is actually the San Antonio River eventually dumping into Matagorda Bay.

Luke
05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
In reality all of the big-box retail centers all over OKC are nothing more than open-air malls and they seem to be doing well for the most part. Weather is nothing more than a lame excuse.

Excellent point.

Pete
05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Why is that? It seems to work fine in Tulsa, two places in Kansas City with the one posted above and Country Club Plaza. Even the majority of higher end shopping is in what would be considered open air shopping districts in Chicago, NYC and Boston and their winters are much worse.

Because OKC is already over-retailed. There was/is a huge open-air development planned for just north of Quail Springs that has been at least stalled because there just isn't the need right now. And when there is, these types of developments are much more likely to go much closer to the people and money.

Back to The Grove and the farmer's market... The market was already there and thriving before the shopping was built. Also -again - there are literally hundreds of farmer's markets all over the L.A. area. And finally, that whole development is no where near the urban core and in fact, there is nothing like it in downtown Los Angeles. They are just now putting in a theater and restaurants near the Staples Center (part of L.A. Live).

I think it's unrealistic to expect retail when you have almost nobody living in the area at present. That is changing, but it will take time.

bluedogok
05-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Because OKC is already over-retailed. There was/is a huge open-air development planned for just north of Quail Springs that has been at least stalled because there just isn't the need right now. And when there is, these types of developments are much more likely to go much closer to the people and money.
I was speaking in terms of just an "open-air mall" in response to someone's statement that OKC could not support one and not a Bricktown open air mall in particular. The South Canal area is already developed for the most part, so the it's a moot point anyway.

proud2Bsooner
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Reading all the great posts here, here is what I think....

It seems that Bricktown has indeed lost some momentum, but that doesn't mean it is dying now. So we need to put our panic buttons aside. And has it has been mentioned, the economic downturn probably has the most to do with the current loss in momentum.

However, Bricktown leadership surely has room to be criticized. There has been a significant amount of construction since 2003. But the growth has been nearly everywhere BUT adjacent to the canal. I think most people envisioned businesses of various kinds that attract people to flock around the canal. After all, the canal is the centerpiece, and can provide a neat atmosphere for folks to walk around and enjoy themselves. But with the North end in particular, there is a lot to be desired.

The area around Chelino's and Zio's, as mentioned, is a nightmare. With such staunch control over the who's, what's, where's and how's of Bricktown, you'd think the leadership could at least better enforce standards of what that North end should look like.

You'd think that someone in this City, like a great restaurant developer (names come to mind), or someone with some good cash, or abilities to get it (more names come to mind), could have had some imagination to do something special with the North (anchor end). That North end should have filled up ten years ago! At least someone with some cash could have hired someone to do it for them. Then when that end fills up, expansion would have gone from there.

Instead, we have expansion all over the place, and some of it (frankly) doesn't fit down there. It just doesn't seem like there is sound direction in Bricktown. I don't know all the ins and outs of why, but the results are clear for everyone to see.

warreng88
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
One thing that people fail to point out is that everywhere else around the country, construction is halting due to the economy. Bricktown has added four new "niche" clubs in the last six months (Michael Murphy's, America's Pub, Brix and Coyote Ugly.) The next area I would love to see revitalized is the area along Main Street. Also, further down Sheridan will probably develop in time due to the Hampton being placed there.

Caboose
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
In hindsight, the canal is pretty half-assed. It should wind all through Bricktown even if it means eliminating auto traffic on many of the streets.

Patrick
05-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Have you been to Kansas City in December?! Significantly different than here.

I actually have....when there was snow on the ground and it was frigid outside.

Patrick
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM

San Antonio has lengthened theirs when demand has arisen. I don't think we should extend ours until we either have a good development concept for the added length, or we have filled up most of the North Canal and can justify and extension.

Patrick
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
In hindsight, the canal is pretty half-assed. It should wind all through Bricktown even if it means eliminating auto traffic on many of the streets.

I would be in favor of a leg of the canal stretching north on Oklahoma Avenue and then east and west on Main Street. Sheridan is too heavily traveled so I don't think you could replace it.

I also still support taking the canal was the farthest west end of the north canal, south, under the Reno Ave railroad bridge, and west in between the Ford Center and Cox Center...and then into the Myriad Gardens to link up with the ponds there.

Doug Loudenback
05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I would be in favor of a leg of the canal stretching north on Oklahoma Avenue and then east and west on Main Street. Sheridan is too heavily traveled so I don't think you could replace it.

I also still support taking the canal was the farthest west end of the north canal, south, under the Reno Ave railroad bridge, and west in between the Ford Center and Cox Center...and then into the Myriad Gardens to link up with the ponds there.
I would be in favor of a separate thread which does not have such a pessimistic title when discussing Bricktown's successes and our hopes for its future. Bricktown is doing fine and will continue to do so particularly as the economy improves. Other than saying this, I have nothing else to say in a thread which declares, "Bricktown losing momentum," and presumes to know that that is so.

As the title is listed, this thread is for the pessimists. I am not one of them.

Steve
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Patrick, I have shown this thread to Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association. He has agreed to sit down and discuss/debate these criticisms with you (I'd moderate) for one of my OKC Central videos. If you're interested, if you want one other person in this online discussion to join you, let me know.
This is your chance to let your voice be heard and get your questions and concerns answered directly.
Email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com.
-Steve

Doug Loudenback
05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Patrick, I have shown this thread to Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association. He has agreed to sit down and discuss/debate these criticisms with you (I'd moderate) for one of my OKC Central videos. If you're interested, if you want one other person in this online discussion to join you, let me know.
This is your chance to let your voice be heard and get your questions and concerns answered directly.
Email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com.
-Steve
I'd like to join the panel so that I can bash Patrick when he gets out of line ... Cowan is much too much of a gentleman to do that ... hence, I offer my services! :bright_id

Steve
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, like I can moderate you....

Doug Loudenback
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
:dizzy:

Luke
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow, that's cool, Steve!

As to Doug's point, it might be fair to say that Bricktown is losing momentum. But, it certainly hasn't lost it.

The buildings surrounding the canal in Bricktown proper have so much character and potential, but seem to have been much more stagnant than Lower Bricktown.

After a decade, one would think the potential would have been realized.

Doug Loudenback
05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Luke, your point seems to be, "Why hasn't Bricktown done more," which is a fair and different question. My complaint was the assumption in the title Patrick chose for this thread. Relatively speaking (i.e., compared to the whole city's economy), I seriously doubt that Bricktown is any worse off, relatively speaking, than any other part of the city ... in fact, it may well be better off than the rest.

Pete
05-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Wanted to address this point...

Agriculture in Oklahoma is big but it's mainly things that don't lend themselves to a consumer market: Wheat, hay, soybeans, cotton, sorghum, etc. Even the ubiquitous peanuts and pecans are generally not sold to consumers directly from the field.

California is primarily veggies & fruits: Oranges, lemons, limes, avocados, tomatoes, grapes, strawberries, all types of lettuce and peppers, etc. Not nearly as much emphasis on grains.

So, from just about anywhere in California you have almost the entire contents of a produce section growing in fields only an hour or two away.

Urbanized
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, Humphreys used to be a part owner of the Bricktown Parking garage...
I forgot to address this one yesterday, or whenever it was that I was posting in this thread. Kirk Humphreys was an investor in the parking garage, until he decided to run for Mayor. He sold his interest when he announced. This was BEFORE the ballpark was completed, before ground had been broken on either the canal or the Ford Center, and in fact before any major downtown MAPS projects were online.

So I still think the assertion that "...the first wave of owners -- including two former mayors -- had a massive infusion of publicly financed largesse drop in their laps..." is substantially incorrect.

Urbanized
05-22-2009, 04:49 PM
And just to reiterate, there have been a lot of comments made in this thread indicating a perception that nothing is currently being done to change and improve things. This couldn't be further from the truth.

I think Steve, who has covered Bricktown since the mid-nineties, (and who has taken many, many EXTREMELY critical looks at the district), will back me up when I say that the Bricktown Association right now is the most organized, cooperative, influential and credible it has ever been. It is more than likely still not obvious to outsiders, since it has taken the past two years of incredibly hard work by Jim Cowan for the group to reach this point.

But I cannot stress to you how much is being done behind the scenes right now to effect change in the areas that are being discussed here; master planning, canal utilization, canal maintenance, district-wide retail recruitment, district appearance, land usage recommendations, and communications/marketing. The groundwork has been laid for Bricktown to have some breakout moments that will perhaps put the past 10 years to shame. I don't think that is an exaggeration.

The simple fact that a Bricktown Association director was invited to attend this week's International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas, as part of a travelling party that included the Mayor, the directors of the Chamber, the Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Downtown Oklahoma City Incorporated, plus the Chamber's point person for retail development and others, AND TREATED AS A PEER, should speak volumes to anyone who has followed downtown closely over the past decade (or two).

Those who are uninformed probably think I'm just whistling past the graveyard. But those of you who think this simply haven't seen what I have, up close, over the past 10+ years.

Steve
05-22-2009, 04:51 PM
"I think Steve, who has covered Bricktown since the mid-nineties, (and who has taken many, many critical looks at the district), will back me up when I say that the Bricktown Association right now is the most organized, cooperative, influential and credible it has ever been. It is more than likely still not obvious to outsiders, since it has taken the past two years of incredibly hard work by Jim Cowan for the group to reach this point."

Yep. But there's still plenty of opportunities for me to pick on him and the association. I'd be bored if they ended up being perfect.

Urbanized
05-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey, that's completely fair. There's still plenty of work to be done. Keep picking, where it is appropriate to do so.

But thanks for backing me up that the association is more credible and active than it's ever been, and is in fact focusing, perhaps for the first time ever, on all of the issues I mentioned.

Steve
05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Any chance you can have the boat drivers talk about Hard Rock Cafe coming again? I haven't had much of an opportunity to pick on you in years.

Urbanized
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Nope. Now they talk about the new hotel going up on the grassy corner. :wink:

bluedogok
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Nope. Now they talk about the new hotel going up on the grassy corner. :wink:
I worked on a scheme for that at one time.....but then so have a lot of people.

dalelakin
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/world/images/wbrlftout.jpg

That would be an interesting place to be in a baseball sized hail storm...

CuatrodeMayo
05-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I would be in favor of a separate thread which does not have such a pessimistic title when discussing Bricktown's successes and our hopes for its future. Bricktown is doing fine and will continue to do so particularly as the economy improves. Other than saying this, I have nothing else to say in a thread which declares, "Bricktown losing momentum," and presumes to know that that is so.

As the title is listed, this thread is for the pessimists. I am not one of them.

Add a "?" to the end of the thread title...problem solved.

dismayed
05-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Wanted to address this point...

Agriculture in Oklahoma is big but it's mainly things that don't lend themselves to a consumer market: Wheat, hay, soybeans, cotton, sorghum, etc. Even the ubiquitous peanuts and pecans are generally not sold to consumers directly from the field.

California is primarily veggies & fruits: Oranges, lemons, limes, avocados, tomatoes, grapes, strawberries, all types of lettuce and peppers, etc. Not nearly as much emphasis on grains.

So, from just about anywhere in California you have almost the entire contents of a produce section growing in fields only an hour or two away.

Thanks, those are very good points. It made me think about something though... Oklahoma has some very well known off-the-beaten-path stops all around the metro... places that sell fresh pecans, others that sell freshly made cheese... I'm kind of surprised some of those folks haven't tried to band together and start a farmer's market somewhere in the metro that caters to what they all provide.

MikeOKC
05-23-2009, 06:18 PM
That would be an interesting place to be in a baseball sized hail storm...

My guess is that it's not anything that hail could break. Disney doesn't do anything halfway and certainly don't design dangerous public spaces.