View Full Version : China's policy of sterilization?

Patrick
01-24-2005, 01:53 PM
As many of you know, China has a policy of sterilizing mothers after they've had 2 children! What do you think about this policy in efforts to reduce overall growth of the human race? Obviously, if we continue to grow in numbers, mankind will eventually exceed the resources that this planet can provide.

Midtowner
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
As many of you know, China has a policy of sterilizing mothers after they've had 2 children! What do you think about this policy in efforts to reduce overall growth of the human race? Obviously, if we continue to grow in numbers, mankind will eventually exceed the resources that this planet can provide.

I'm still torn over the "right to reproduce" being something that is a human right. In China, their population is a very serious problem, so yes, I support that policy. Here in the United States, I might even support something like that. Would certainly cut down on the load of money our government has to spend every year on uncared for and unwanted children.

Patrick
01-24-2005, 02:03 PM
It also seems like if we invested more moneyon educating those in Africa and on investing in brith control to donate to those people in Africa, that would help the problem some.

Obviously, China has some real population issues....I think they're solution is fair...they allow you to have up to 2 children. But, at the same time, you have to ask if it's the government's right to perform a medical procedure on a woman.....seems to me like it's violating her personal rights.

Patrick
01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Instead of killing people in Iraw maybe we need to start investing in birth control for those in needy countries.

Midtowner
01-24-2005, 02:07 PM
It also seems like if we invested more moneyon educating those in Africa and on investing in brith control to donate to those people in Africa, that would help the problem some.

Obviously, China has some real population issues....I think they're solution is fair...they allow you to have up to 2 children. But, at the same time, you have to ask if it's the government's right to perform a medical procedure on a woman.....seems to me like it's violating her personal rights.

In China, they don't have the same personal rights that we do in America. Also, the right to reproduce is not enumerated in the Constitution and I'm sure anyone with a legal education could make a good case for it existing or not existing (mostly under article 9 which includes non enumerated rights).

Societally, I think that the government being able to have a say on how often you reproduce (not who with or anything like that) would be great.

Patrick
01-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Societally, I think that the government being able to have a say on how often you reproduce (not who with or anything like that) would be great.

Is there any way we could do that without protruding into people's personal bodies?

Midtowner
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Is there any way we could do that without protruding into people's personal bodies?

I'm not sure -- you're the med student :D

Patrick
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Another option could require birth control after the second child, and if the woman doesn't comply, she's incarcerated for a set amount of time. This would prevent permanent changes from being made to a woman's body.

Of course, again, we're dealing with Chinese law, not our own.

mistipetal
01-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok. So why should the medical procedure be on women only? shouldn't men be forced to end their ability to procreate after two themselves? Two children cap per person. Or is it a double standard again? It's even more important when talking about doing something so invasive here in the US. I mean, we have as big or bigger problem with men helping to create these children, then shirking responsibility for them. I've actually heard of men who simply decide to have a new family and completely forget and ignore children they already have. And let me ask you gentlemen this....are you yourselves willing to allow the government to perform a medical procedure on you? Or do you think you ought to have the choice for yourselves? China has a very oppressive regime. They are the opposite of freedom. I like my freedom of choice. And even though I don't care for a population problem and for the things I deal with every day, I will still stand behind a person's right to govern their own bodies.

Midtowner
01-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Ok. So why should the medical procedure be on women only? shouldn't men be forced to end their ability to procreate after two themselves? Two children cap per person. Or is it a double standard again? It's even more important when talking about doing something so invasive here in the US. I mean, we have as big or bigger problem with men helping to create these children, then shirking responsibility for them. I've actually heard of men who simply decide to have a new family and completely forget and ignore children they already have. And let me ask you gentlemen this....are you yourselves willing to allow the government to perform a medical procedure on you? Or do you think you ought to have the choice for yourselves? China has a very oppressive regime. They are the opposite of freedom. I like my freedom of choice. And even though I don't care for a population problem and for the things I deal with every day, I will still stand behind a person's right to govern their own bodies.

Actually, I wouldn't be at all opposed to the procedure if it were for men. A vasectomy is MUCH easier to reverse than a tubal litigation. At least I could justify it for individuals that cannot afford to pay for the children that they have. For example, I wouldn't have a problem with a sperm-donors that refuse to pay child support receiving court orders for vasectomies.

It's really an interesting discussion to be had. America does guarantee some freedoms. Last I checked though, reproductive freedom wasn't in the Constitution (of course, the ability to sterilize men and women was probably not something that even occured to the founding fathers).

At the end of the day, I think that reproductive freedom is one of those non-enumerated rights (see 9th Amendment). It's an interesting topic, but any discussion as far as American policy is really academic at best.

Rev. Bob
01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Problem is if married couples don't always stay together. So, if the woman marries another man, she could get past the 2 child requirement by having children with another man that's not had a vesectomy. Thus, the reason for fixing the woman.

mistipetal
01-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, no, I don't think the founding fathers would have conceived of such an idea. :) I do think that right ought to be protected, especially considering future scientific discoveries. It would be interesting to see the signs at the protests. I imagine there would be some really witty ones. I agree though, while its a good discussion, I don't believe that any action would be taken either way.

Rev Bob,

I just meant that both genders ought to be fixed after a second child, not only the woman, that way no one gets around the rules. It's not going to happen, but if that legislation was in the works, I think that it should apply to all. Not just women.

Midtowner
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Problem is if married couples don't always stay together. So, if the woman marries another man, she could get past the 2 child requirement by having children with another man that's not had a vesectomy. Thus, the reason for fixing the woman.

He should know that going into the relationship -- this woman has met her two child quota :D

dirtrider73068
02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Well if you want to get to fair than that man and woman afterthe 2 birth limit should be required to go in and have the procedures done. I would do it but I have already had my procedure done as to I don't want anymore than two kids. If I happen to meet another woman who has any kids then she can accept me like me an dhelp with my kids or move on to find somebody else. I thnk we should have something like this in order, to keep some people from haveing kids after kids then have to be dependent on the government and us as taxpayers to take up the slack and pay for their needs. Then yes I would all for something like this to be invoked.