View Full Version : Frontier City Gunfights

Shipwreck
05-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I am compiling an article for OKCHistory.Com (Steve doesn't know it yet - at least not until he reads this post :-)) about the gunfights that used to be re-enacted at Frontier City so long ago. I have some great photos but would love some more as most of mine come from the 50's-60's. Does anyone have photos that we can use on the site? Just pop me an email and I'll let you know how to send them my way, unless you already have them scanned in and can email them to me: bradley@scriptfolio.net. Try to include information in the email about when you took them and any memories you have. Details people! LOL!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Bradley

SOONER8693
05-16-2009, 06:30 AM
I was a member of the gunfight/stunt team at FC for about 8 years during the 80's. Myself and a friend of mine that I taught with, Mike Adkins, started in the summer of 81 and 82. We were members of a group called "Colonel Colt's Company". The head of the group was Jim Rollins, who was the original marshall at FC when it opened in 1958. We did the FC shows, shows at Turner Falls, and competed in many gunfight re-enactment competitions over the years. We were National Champs in a large number of those comps. Nobody could produce what we could, because we had a rehearsal stage, 6-7 times a day at FC to perfect our shows and skills. Many of our group also got to be in a number of movies as a result of our association with FC and the notoriety of our group. At the height of CCC, we had as many of 40-50 members, both men and women. Great times, great memories. We had over 80 we could do at FC. In some shows, the law won, in some the bad guys won. The audiences always loved it when the bad guys won. When Premier Parks took over operation of FC, they built us a new set(street) for our shows. Things started to go down hill with PP when the wanted no shows where the bad guys won. Then when 6 Flags took over, they wanted 1 show only done over and over, ad nauseuem, with a comedy slant. That was the beginning of the end of the relationship between CCC and FC.

Steve
05-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Bradley, I am thrilled to hear this. Frontier City is definitely a topic I wanted to see added to the site! I think I've got access to a couple of images (they're on my laptop, which crashed last night - I'm hoping it can be brought back to life)

ddavidson8
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Things started to go down hill with PP when the wanted no shows where the bad guys won. Then when 6 Flags took over, they wanted 1 show only done over and over, ad nauseuem, with a comedy slant. That was the beginning of the end of the relationship between CCC and FC.

Never underestimate a bureaucrat's ability to ruin a sure thing.

Tex
05-16-2009, 09:52 AM
LOL, when I read the subject line I thought to myself, "Oh great, the gangs have taken over Frontier City, guess I wont be taking my family there when they come to visit next week".

Thunder
05-16-2009, 11:16 AM
LOL, when I read the subject line I thought to myself, "Oh great, the gangs have taken over Frontier City, guess I wont be taking my family there when they come to visit next week".

Yeah, I thought that for a second, then realized the shows I've used to watch back in the 90s. I'm not sure if we had any pictures taken.

papaOU
05-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Going as a youngster douring the early to mid 60's one mage has always remained with me. A security guard who carried a very large pipe wrench. Crowd control.

A some point and time didn't the place close for a time?

kevinpate
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
.oO(yeah, it takes time to really clean a pipe wrench right)Oo.

Shipwreck
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Bradley, I am thrilled to hear this. Frontier City is definitely a topic I wanted to see added to the site! I think I've got access to a couple of images (they're on my laptop, which crashed last night - I'm hoping it can be brought back to life)

Well going through the slew of Count Gregore material I've collected from John over the years, I discovered a lot of photos he had taken then when he directed the gunfights throughout the 50's and 60's out there. It would also be cool to find more images of Frontier City too. There are some great shots of the streets and such when the gunfights are going on.

Anyhoot, I am meeting with John again next week to finalize what I need for the Count Gregore article and he found some more videos of the show we can put up too on www.okchistory.com. I'll try to get more from him in reference to the gunfights too. Did you get that Count Gregore theme music I emailed you? Here is a link to his website that has a clip: MySpace.com - Count - 81 - Male - OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/thecountgregore (http://www.myspace.com/thecountgregore)

Speaking of - HEY GANG - if any of you have Count Gregore Memories, photos, etc. LET ME KNOW!!! I am his official archivist and I'm always adding to the mix. He also loves hearing from his fans.

COUNT GREGORE ROCKS!!

Shipwreck
05-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I was a member of the gunfight/stunt team at FC for about 8 years during the 80's. Myself and a friend of mine that I taught with, Mike Adkins, started in the summer of 81 and 82. We were members of a group called "Colonel Colt's Company". The head of the group was Jim Rollins, who was the original marshall at FC when it opened in 1958. We did the FC shows, shows at Turner Falls, and competed in many gunfight re-enactment competitions over the years. We were National Champs in a large number of those comps. Nobody could produce what we could, because we had a rehearsal stage, 6-7 times a day at FC to perfect our shows and skills. Many of our group also got to be in a number of movies as a result of our association with FC and the notoriety of our group. At the height of CCC, we had as many of 40-50 members, both men and women. Great times, great memories. We had over 80 we could do at FC. In some shows, the law won, in some the bad guys won. The audiences always loved it when the bad guys won. When Premier Parks took over operation of FC, they built us a new set(street) for our shows. Things started to go down hill with PP when the wanted no shows where the bad guys won. Then when 6 Flags took over, they wanted 1 show only done over and over, ad nauseuem, with a comedy slant. That was the beginning of the end of the relationship between CCC and FC.

AWESOME!!! Thank you for this info as it expands the timeline and more! Hey you think you can convince your buddies to share photos, memories and more??? This could be a fun project.

BTW - I've added two images (circa 1960's). The first is just a gunfight. The other has some of the performers. John Ferguson is center of front row as Marshal Johnny Ringo of his Frontier City Deputies. I wonder if we could identify the others?

grantgeneral78
05-16-2009, 09:09 PM
My uncle was a gunfighter out there from 1970-1973 or 4. Lots of good memories back then.

Generals64
05-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Well going through the slew of Count Gregore material I've collected from John over the years, I discovered a lot of photos he had taken then when he directed the gunfights throughout the 50's and 60's out there. It would also be cool to find more images of Frontier City too. There are some great shots of the streets and such when the gunfights are going on.

Anyhoot, I am meeting with John again next week to finalize what I need for the Count Gregore article and he found some more videos of the show we can put up too on Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com). I'll try to get more from him in reference to the gunfights too. Did you get that Count Gregore theme music I emailed you? Here is a link to his website that has a clip: MySpace.com - Count - 81 - Male - OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/thecountgregore (http://www.myspace.com/thecountgregore)

Speaking of - HEY GANG - if any of you have Count Gregore Memories, photos, etc. LET ME KNOW!!! I am his official archivist and I'm always adding to the mix. He also loves hearing from his fans.

COUNT GREGORE ROCKS!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gregore SUCKS............It's not right to be in a peaceful sleep on the floor and have your best friend turn the TV up real loud and scare the fool out of you when he says "Gooood EVENING"...Gregore here.... man, He was really great for his time but man I was scared that night so bad the old General almost became and Private and the Village Idiot almost wasn't....Watched many of show with the Count.....Is he still alive?????. If so, tell himn thanks...

SOONER8693
05-17-2009, 07:49 AM
AWESOME!!! Thank you for this info as it expands the timeline and more! Hey you think you can convince your buddies to share photos, memories and more??? This could be a fun project.

BTW - I've added two images (circa 1960's). The first is just a gunfight. The other has some of the performers. John Ferguson is center of front row as Marshal Johnny Ringo of his Frontier City Deputies. I wonder if we could identify the others?

Shipwreck, I would love to assist you in any way I can. Let me check with a couple of the guys and see if they are up to talking, e-mailing, etc. with you. These two guys would be the "mother lode" for you. No one on earth knows more about the history of FC gunfight shows than these two. One is Jim Rollins, the original marshall at FC. Jim is in his late70's, almost totally lost his eyesight, and health is sometimes not good. Let me check on him. And, Mike Adkins. Mike and I taught together for 25 years in Moore schools. Mike is terminally ill with cancer. He is often weak, but has good spells. He still tries to work when he can at the Oklahoma History Center, where he is the director of education. I will see Mike today. So, let me check with both of these guys and I will get back to you. I do know a couple of other guys from CCC that would have thousands of pics. I'll get back with you.

andy157
05-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I used to work with a man by the name of Geo. Hopkins, whom if I'm not mistaken was at one time one of the gunfighters at F.C.

SOONER8693
05-17-2009, 12:38 PM
George was a member of Colonel Colt's Company. He is a retired firefighter.

papaOU
05-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Gregore SUCKS............It's not right to be in a peaceful sleep on the floor and have your best friend turn the TV up real loud and scare the fool out of you when he says "Gooood EVENING"...Gregore here.... man, He was really great for his time but man I was scared that night so bad the old General almost became and Private and the Village Idiot almost wasn't....Watched many of show with the Count.....Is he still alive?????. If so, tell himn thanks...

That's a good question. He is above ground but so is Danny Williams. Seen him lately on the t.v. commercials? I could argue he is NOT alive............

The count is still around..............

Shipwreck
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
....Watched many of show with the Count.....Is he still alive?????. If so, tell himn thanks...

I'll see John this Friday. He is as spry as ever at 81, I might add. He has a lot of zip in his zap. He still performs as Count Greogre too - the longest running horror host in the world!

He hasn't lost his edge either. If you search for him on You Tube you will come across many videos that fans have put up and of his hosting help on the Mysterious Lab of Dr. Fear. He just recently did a great skit with the Two Guys on NewsOk.Com. SOme very funny stuff.

I'll be sure to pass along the message for ya Gen. and as you know - every vampire sucks. LOL! But this one refuses to, uh... lie down and die.

Also to the others - regarding FC - LOVE all the help. I'll also ask John if he remembers the gentlemen mentioned. Look forward to any new info!

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
My Hubby meet Count Gregory at Bel Mar Golf course last week. He is alive

Charlie40
05-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I think they should revamp and fix up the whole place and bring it back to the place it used to be back in the day. Of course todays kids probabbly wouldnt know what to do then or think it was boring.

Shipwreck
05-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing they would think such things were too violent. They might demand a comedy act instead and an elvis 'gun fighter' impersonator. talk about All Shook Up!

I do remember, though, the smells from the wood, the train ride, the snack bars, the excitement that built up to the show - that was just so cool to watch. I must have played outlaws, cowboys, and indians so much and have my own little shows in the privacy of my room - until my mom asked me to stop falling like a stuntman from the dresser and bed. LOL!

:ridem:

Generals64
05-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing they would think such things were too violent. They might demand a comedy act instead and an elvis 'gun fighter' impersonator. talk about All Shook Up!

I do remember, though, the smells from the wood, the train ride, the snack bars, the excitement that built up to the show - that was just so cool to watch. I must have played outlaws, cowboys, and indians so much and have my own little shows in the privacy of my room - until my mom asked me to stop falling like a stuntman from the dresser and bed. LOL!

:ridem:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the fondest memories of my dad when I was a kid was at Frontier City. My dad was a complete "workaholic" even up until he died....However, we had a family gathering at Frontier City and he an two of my uncles disappeared..then all of a sudden they came back (like little boys) and sat down and didn't say a thing. My Mom began to bark at him a little and all he would say was "Watch the train".....they had greased the tracks down so much that when the little train hit it all it did was sit there and spin. He thought that to be so funny. However, if I had done it I wouldn't be able to sit down today.....But, Thanks Frontier City for the memories.....

papaOU
05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Is there a method to distinguish the sounds from the "staged" gunfights and the patrons gunfights.
Never mind.............
The patrons use automatics..........................