View Full Version : OKC Tornado Sirens

Nermel
05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I wish Oklahoma City would contemplate spending money to upgrade their siren system, so it isn't "all or nothing".

A city of this (geographic) size needs to improve the current system where all sirens will sound, and none can be individually activated. Wednesday night was an excellent example of what I am referring to. Tornado warning for South OKC, towards Moore and Lake Stanley Draper. OKC sounds their sirens, and people who live as far away as Edmond hear them, and briefly panic.

Thunder
05-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I knew exactly what you were gonna talk about before clicking on this.

I've seen this discussed in the news several years ago. I don't think the city will change. Once a portion of OKC is affected, then the entire OKC will be on alert.

Better safe than sorry?

Pretty much that most of OKC is aware of this. Those that wouldn't be affected will know thru TV, Internet, and Phone.

Norsican
05-15-2009, 01:26 PM
There was also a possible Tornado above the Zoo as well. I'm in Edmond as well and I was watching the news to begin with anyway.

dismayed
05-15-2009, 07:30 PM
When they rolled out the new sirens it was mentioned in the paper that they could be individually programmed. For whatever reason, the city has decided to continue setting off the entire grid even though they have the capability of blasting the sirens in targeted locations.

kevinpate
05-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I suspect minimizing risk of not warning all who should be warned won out over targeted warnings

ChowRunner
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
This system which was brought online about 7 years ago does have the capability to allow for only one siren or a small group of sirens to be activated. When this system first went live the plan was to sound sirens on a county by county basis to correspond with NWS Tornado warnings.. A tornado did not have to be seen.... just a warning issued.

Not long after the system went live that policy was changed to all or nothing.

In an age where fewer and fewer people listen to broadcast radio while traveling and when you take into account how fast you can get from the Edmond area to the Moore area in this city I think this plan does have it's place.

In OKC a storm siren activation does not mean "duck and cover" like it does in many smaller cities, It is more of a signal to citizens to seek more information from local media.

hipsterdoofus
05-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think its bad - makes you turn on your TV and be aware. Its only a problem for people who don't realize that OKC tornado sirens could mean it is anywhere. More of an education issue to me.

Jon27
05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
This system which was brought online about 7 years ago does have the capability to allow for only one siren or a small group of sirens to be activated. When this system first went live the plan was to sound sirens on a county by county basis to correspond with NWS Tornado warnings.. A tornado did not have to be seen.... just a warning issued.

Not long after the system went live that policy was changed to all or nothing.

In an age where fewer and fewer people listen to broadcast radio while traveling and when you take into account how fast you can get from the Edmond area to the Moore area in this city I think this plan does have it's place.

In OKC a storm siren activation does not mean "duck and cover" like it does in many smaller cities, It is more of a signal to citizens to seek more information from local media.

I agree with this. Granted it can be a nuisance for some, but we all know the damage that can be done. To me, the whole city needs to be put on alert no matter where in the city it is.

Nermel
05-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Since the National Weather Service now issues warnings for narrower geographic areas (no longer an entire countY), knowing which sirens to activate is even easier. There is adequate warning time even with the smaller warnings.

I'm not saying to error on the side of caution in selecting which sirens to activate, etc. However on Wednesday night, there was no reason for sirens near Surrey Hills to actviate for something that was never threatening them, and was headed south.

john60
05-16-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm no meterologist, but I think it's important to realize that a tornado (or multiple lightning strikes or other dangerous situations) can occur in most any point of an incoming t-storm, even if it doesn't seem like its "right in the heart of it". We aren't dealing with hurricanes; these things are unpredictable, even with the equipment we have right now.

At the same time though, I think OKC probably errs seriously (and probably too much) on the side of caution...at the end of it, the people in charge of sounding the warnings don't' EVER want to get caught not sounding a warning when they should have. The fact that they don't want to appear guilty in the public eye (or maybe even legal eye) when they don't sound a warning when they should have is probably more important to them than anything else...to quote Waterboy, "It's like Momma always said, better safe than sorry".

BB37
05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not saying to error on the side of caution in selecting which sirens to activate, etc. However on Wednesday night, there was no reason for sirens near Surrey Hills to actviate for something that was never threatening them, and was headed south.

The sirens in Surrey Hills didn't go off. The sirens I heard were from East of us, likely County Line or Council roads, only 3 - 4 miles away.

dismayed
05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
The metro sirens also have the capability of broadcasting different tones at different frequencies with different intervals. They can also broadcast voice transmissions like a loud outdoor PA system. I'm surprised we haven't come up with two different kinds of alerts yet... one for people immediately effected, and another to let folks know they need to turn on the tv/radio.

Platemaker
05-17-2009, 01:39 PM
If I'm on the road I want the entire area sounded in the event that I'm driving into the affect area from one that is ''out of danger."

venture
05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
If I'm on the road I want the entire area sounded in the event that I'm driving into the affect area from one that is ''out of danger."

That is a good point...and usage of the highway information signs would also be a good thing (not sure if they do this or not).

hipsterdoofus
05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
That is a good point...and usage of the highway information signs would also be a good thing (not sure if they do this or not).

I've hardly ever seen those used for anything - I guess they are waiting for something "important"

Thunder
05-17-2009, 10:35 PM
That's a great idea, Venture!!!

"Tornado Straight Ahead! Turn Around Now!"

"Tornado! Proceed With Caution!"

"Tornado Warning! Traffic Delay In Effect"

"Possible Tornado - Go To Nearest Exit"

PennyQuilts
05-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Tornado ahead! Chasers have the right of way!

OUman
05-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Tornado ahead! Chasers have the right of way!

LOL, I got a nice laugh out of that one. Would work though only if all chasers had the lights on their cars.

As for the entire Oklahoma City siren network sounding when the area in concern is only for part of the metro, last week when the rotation of that tornadic storm was well to our NE, Norman switched on the sirens twice. Even after the circulation was over Lake Thunderbird, I'm guessing since Norman city limits encompass the lake and surrounding areas. Then again that storm was rather peculiar, at one point there were suspicious areas all along its southern edge as it came across Moore/Indian Hills Road.

venture
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah Norman city limits actually run nearly to the Pott County line and include all of the lake. City is a bit over 100 sq miles...which a lot of people don't realize. I did notice Norman took their time in sounding the sirens, probably unsure if it was actually going to move into the city. A good 15-20 min delay though from when the warning went out.

Patrick
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
When the tornado went through south OKC, all of Oklahoma County was under a tornado warning, so that's why all of the sirens in Oklahoma county were sounded.

And, the sirens are brand new, funded by the last bond issue.

bluepickle
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
The reason they set all of them off is this; when the 1st warning after the new system was in place hit they did a localized warning, however every freaking news station went out and interviewed people who claimed to have not heard the sirens (it's because there wasn't a need, cletus). The news stations were trying to make something out of nothing (big surprise) so the decision was made to fire them all off.

As an addition OKC has the absolute Cadillac of siren systems.

venture
05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
When the tornado went through south OKC, all of Oklahoma County was under a tornado warning, so that's why all of the sirens in Oklahoma county were sounded.

And, the sirens are brand new, funded by the last bond issue.

You'll rarely find an entire county placed under a tornado warning with the polygon warnings the weather service started using the last few years. An example from a few weeks back. The green borders are the county outlines.

http://www.anvilcrawlers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_hail-909pm.png
AnvilCrawlers.com Photo Gallery: Click image to close this window (http://www.anvilcrawlers.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=11&fullsize=1)