View Full Version : Sad news: Wayman Tisdale has died

Steve
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
The Oklahoman has a breaking report now. I can promise you our sports staff will be all over this so be sure to check in from time to time today at Mobile Breaking Oklahoma News | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com). He was a true sports legend.

westsidesooner
05-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Oh wow. I didnt know him, yet Im on the verge of tears. What a tragic loss. God speed.

Heres one of his recent songs.......Its alright. So beautiful and fitting. http://www.imeem.com/people/7rJ9Xt/music/B_bSAIU4/wayman-tisdale-its-alright/

Pete
05-15-2009, 09:41 AM
How incredibly horrible!

I knew he was battling cancer but had no idea things were this serious.

Way, way too young... He was such a great guy.

Karried
05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh how terrible ...

Wasn't he honored at the Thunder game a short while ago?

I know he attended games. awwwww, it's so sad, sad, sad...

TaoMaas
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
One of my best friends growing up was far and away the best athlete in town. He was the state high hurdle champion, quarterback of the football team, and the home run leader on our baseball team. He went to college on an athletic scholarship to the Air Force Academy and upon graduation, taught survival skills while in the Air Force. Then, about age 23, he got leukemia and died. It never made sense to me, just as Wayman's death makes no sense now. To reconcile things, I've always read A.E. Houseman's "To an Athlete Dying Young".

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears:

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set, before the echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl's.

PennyQuilts
05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I had not kept up and didn't know he was battling cancer. So sad.

Karried
05-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think I"ve ever seen so many Guest Book entries at NewsOk...

I do remember now. He was honored at a Thunder game. I'm so glad that he had some really great moments before he passed away. The good die young.

grantgeneral78
05-17-2009, 07:08 AM
I am fortunate to have a picture of him holding my grandbaby, he was a great guy. To bad there are not more folks like him around now, he led by example. Now he was a true sports hero kids could look up to.

edcrunk
05-18-2009, 12:08 AM
oh man, i was at that game. glad we were able to honor him before he passed.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-18-2009, 02:00 AM
So sad.

I met him when I was a kid. He came to our school and walked around talking to all of us about life in general. Really cool dude. I think his brother and one of the other players were with him too.

NativeOkie
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a signed OU basketball in the office from him.
He was a great guy as is all of his family. His brother is a pastor in Tulsa of the church their father pioneered. A great Oklahoma family.

westsidesooner
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone that Waymans tribute will be today during the halftime of OU's game with Texas. 3pm tipoff. I've never been a big TK fan, but the song sounds pretty good, and it should be a very touching moment. YouTube - Toby Keith - New Album: American Ride - Cryin for me (Wayman's song) + Download link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOC3pk-tFo)

decepticobra
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
the saddest thing is, most people never could correctly pronounce his surname. always heard "tues-dale/ twos-dale" instead of tisdale (tizz-dale)

PennyQuilts
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I never heard it anything but "Tizz-dale," but I don't get out much.