View Full Version : Star Trek

fromdust
05-08-2009, 03:50 PM
saw it yesterday and it is friggn awesome. forget the the past 4 star trek movies and the last crap of a tv show. this for sure breathes new life into the icon. A+ must see!

Thunder
05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. :LolLolLol

jpeaceokc
05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree it was great. I went this afternoon and I rarely pay full price to see a movie in the theater. The characters were great, the pace was very fast, nice twist to the plot/canon, great music. Well worth the seven bucks. I might even pay to see it again and I haven't done that for years. I hope it is the kick-off of a new series in the "new" Star Trek alternative universe.

fromdust
05-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree it was great. I went this afternoon and I rarely pay full price to see a movie in the theater. The characters were great, the pace was very fast, nice twist to the plot/canon, great music. Well worth the seven bucks. I might even pay to see it again and I haven't done that for years. I hope it is the kick-off of a new series in the "new" Star Trek alternative universe.

alternative universe it is.
this was the first time i went to the warren and the first time i ever paid 18 bucks to see a movie, but it was so cool. oh, it does seem to be kicking off a new series since theyve already green lighted the next film.

Karried
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not even a trekkie but I'm going on Sunday morning ( Mother's Day) with the kids to see it.... I heard it was amazing.

And some movies just aren't the same on DVD.... especially action ones.. add the huge screen.. digital Dolby sound.. worth every penny.

Martin
05-08-2009, 06:05 PM
oh wow. nerdy mothers' day or nerdiest mothers' day ever! :P

didn't get to catch it with friends last night, but everyone i've talked to say it's great. can't wait to see it.

-M

drumsncode
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I went on Friday at 10:10am at Quail Springs, just cost 5 dollars! I felt like they were giving the tickets away! The theater was surprising busy for such an early showing, but it was not crowded enough to be obnoxious, and all the older Trek fans know how to mind their manners. After all, this is a Star Trek movie and it's very sacred. Anyone caught making noise would have probably been beaten to death.

They were running 4 theaters, so it's clear they expect a big turnout.

And yes, I really enjoyed the movie, everything except the very exaggerated accents. It was hard to pick out some of the lines. Still, a great cast, tons of action, and some touching scenes.

Karried
05-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Yep that is where I'll be on Sunday morning .. should be nice and quiet .. every Fri, Sat and Sun before noon only Five bucks.. a steal... and because we go so much we use our Movie Rewards cards.. last two times I got a Free Large Popcorn and Large Drink ( free refills ) for Free! woot.

drumsncode
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Yep that is where I'll be on Sunday morning .. should be nice and quiet .. every Fri, Sat and Sun before noon only Five bucks.. a steal... and because we go so much we use our Movie Rewards cards.. last two times I got a Free Large Popcorn and Large Drink ( free refills ) for Free! woot.

Cool! I hadn't gone to a movie in a year, and I didn't know they started opening so early. That changes my movie-going equation, and I hope to see some more great sci-fi this summer. I saw three movies on preview that look fantastic.

venture
05-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Warren is sold out in the balcony until the last Sunday shows, so have to wait a few extra days. Unfortunately they pull it out of the big theaters on Thursday for Terminator and Angels and Demons. They need to hurry up with that expansion. Lol

Karried
05-08-2009, 09:47 PM
oh yeah! Terminator! Can't wait for that one either.

Thunder
05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
A new Terminator movie? I luv the TV series. I lost track of it, but one day, I'll rewatch them all from start to end.

Anyone know when the new Star Trek gonna be on DVD?!

I'm pretty sure it's online already, but if someone catches one with CC or ST, post here!!!

Martin
05-08-2009, 09:57 PM
i'm pretty sure it's online already, but if someone catches one with cc or st, post here!!!

uhhh, thunder... okctalk isn't going to host or link to pirated material. ever. -M

Thunder
05-08-2009, 10:00 PM
uhhh, thunder... okctalk isn't going to host or link to pirated material. ever. -M

Forget I asked. :omg: I'll wait for the DVD. I'm one of those hardcore Trekkie fans. :LolLolLol

I still want a Voyager movie!!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/14.gif

fromdust
05-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm not even a trekkie but I'm going on Sunday morning

karried, they definitely had non trekkies in mind when they did this.

drumsncode
05-09-2009, 08:44 AM
karried, they definitely had non trekkies in mind when they did this.

Being a trekkie from the very beginning of the series, I don't really know what it would feel like to watch this movie totally from scratch. I get the feeling you'd miss a ton of the nuance and sentimentality.

I think this movie relies heavily on prior Star Trek familiarity, which is not a criticism at all. I think it helps make it better.

If you weren't familiar with the characters, some of the accents are really gonna get on your nerves, because they got on mine and I knew where they were coming from!

realtorchris
05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I think this movie relies heavily on prior Star Trek familiarity, which is not a criticism at all. I think it helps make it better.

I don't think it relies heavily on prior familiarity. I think it just uses some key items from each character (accents, behavior, catchphrases) that long time fans know, while introducing it to the newbie! I thought this movie was just what the franchise needed and hopefully, will bring the younger generation into the Star Trek fanbase. My theater at the Warren was full, and there was clapping at the end. Great movie!!

kevinpate
05-10-2009, 03:35 AM
> ome of the accents are really gonna get on your nerves

Nah, just dial two clicks left on the universal translator and then everyone sounds like they
grew up in your home town. If your translator is on the fritz, knock back a few shots right before you go into the theater ... same difference.

DaveSkater
05-10-2009, 05:59 AM
I've got a new favorite movie of all time. I'll be going back to see it several more times before it gets off the big screen, and then adding it to my home DVD collection when it comes out.

10 out of 10 in my book. Totally awesome!
:congrats::congrats::congrats:

jsibelius
05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not all that interested in seeing it, but if I was, I'd definitely do it at the Warren, in the balcony - get the full effect. Waiting for DVD means you miss the big screen special effects, although I can see why you would want to do so, Thunder.

I'm watching a documentary on the History Channel right now about how Star Trek has influenced modern life. William Shatner is narrating, of course. Medical devices, cell phones, NASA, the list goes on and on. And the narrator in question is making this documentary a lot more entertaining than usual.

dismayed
05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I loved the movie. There was something really cool and hip about the very first TV series for its time that somehow got lost with most of the stuff that came after it. This new movie manages to bring all of that back. It's just flat-out a good movie. My thought leaving the theater was that I must be living in some kind of weird alternative reality now where Star Wars has crashed and burned with its prequels and Star Trek is now super cool.

dismayed
05-10-2009, 10:43 AM
The guy who plays Scotty is actually from the UK, and I was reading that the kid who plays Chekov is the son of two famous Russian figure skaters (but does speak perfect English). Their accents were thick but I'm guessing pretty realistic.

drumsncode
05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
The guy who plays Scotty is actually from the UK, and I was reading that the kid who plays Chekov is the son of two famous Russian figure skaters (but does speak perfect English). Their accents were thick but I'm guessing pretty realistic.

Yeah, for my ears, I think that was the problem, their accents are totally genuine, which was way overkill for my tired, rotted-out old ears. I've sustained too much phaser fire in my ears over the years to have full intelligibility in my hearing.

It's one of those movies that has so much nuance that it will be worth buying on DVD someday, just to pick up every line. There's a LOT going on in this movie! My friend wrote me about it, and he had missed things I didn't catch either, but evidently there is a lot in there in each scene.

Someone commented about Star Wars versus Star Trek. For a loyal Trek fan, there's never really been any comparison for me. For me, you outgrow Star Wars pretty quickly, while Star Trek stays with you for a lifetime.

A million geeks grew up on Star Trek, and it's how we live, it's how we think, it's how we solve problems. For computer programmers, it's how we learned to beat the Kobayashi Maru when confronted with insanely difficult computer problems.

kevinpate
05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
> while Star Trek stays with you for a lifetime.

I have no unis, no collectables, no ticket stubs, never been to a single con, no digits, no signoffs, but I drank the kool-aid in big gulps and went back for a few extra gallon jugs over the last few decades.

Save for the last series, and I never did figure out why I just dinna care for it. I like Scott B elsewhere, but I never acquired any attachment for his version of ST, and not even the otherwise lovely vulcan could beam me on board that show's fan base.

drumsncode
05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I stopped watching all the new stuff after Jeri Ryan was gone. After seeing her, there is no substitute! ;-) They should have just spawned a series around her! Her warp goes to 11.

kevinpate
05-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I stopped watching all the new stuff after Jeri Ryan was gone. After seeing her, there is no substitute! ;-) They should have just spawned a series around her! Her warp goes to 11.

More of a Terry Farrell fan. What can I say, it probably relates to always enjoying connect the dot picture games when I was younger. She was also the only reason I could ever stand to sit through an episode of Becker

Karried
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
That was the best movie.... I absolutely loved it. The special effects were amazing.

The entire audience was enthralled ( and it was packed!) and of course, they erupted in loud and prolonged applause at the end...

I used to watch Star Trek when I was younger ( I was never a die hard fan) but wow, this movie brought back so many memories.. I nearly cried when I saw Spock! lol

I wonder why they didn't use William Shatner?

kevinpate
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
> I wonder why they didn't use William Shatner?

Not to toss tribbles at Mr. Priceline Negotiator, but I'm rather uncertain what he could have added that would improve the movie.

hey, you're me, many stardates ago. You'll have adventures, babes, great friends, and then, you'll be cast aside as a blowhard, you'll do bad tv after you get sucked back to the 20th century and then you'll do really really really bad commercials.

Come to think of it kid, the sex ahead of you ain't really all that great, go ahead and self distruct our arse right now. I'll be spared the humiliation and the 20th century will thank us.

OKCMallen
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Count me in as a fan. I've never been much of a Trek person...I think I'm a little young to really be into it...but it was really good.

Thunder
05-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Warp 12!!! :LolLolLol

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
... I'll wait for the DVD. I'm one of those hardcore Trekkie fans. :LolLolLol....

Unless you're that tight on finances, you'll go see this. Even if you have to wait for the dollar theater (I'm betting in 2 1/2 months), go see it on a big screen.

I think this will be the best movie this year. I don't see anything on the horizon that's going to be as good as this.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
05-11-2009, 12:12 AM
....I wonder why they didn't use William Shatner?

I don't think they would have had any part of the story make sense if they had him in. Might as well had George Takei in it as well.

This was a nearly flawless movie.

metro
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Forget I asked. :omg: I'll wait for the DVD. I'm one of those hardcore Trekkie fans. :LolLolLol

I still want a Voyager movie!!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/14.gif

Your a "hardcore" fan but waiting 6 months or so until it comes out on DVD? How is that hardcore? I thought the hardcore fans were the ones camping a day or two in advance to be the first in line. I imagine it will come out before Christmas. If your a big fan, just go see it.

Lord Helmet
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Your a "hardcore" fan but waiting 6 months or so until it comes out on DVD? How is that hardcore? I thought the hardcore fans were the ones camping a day or two in advance to be the first in line. I imagine it will come out before Christmas. If your a big fan, just go see it.

I'm pretty sure it's online already, but if someone catches one with CC or ST, post here!!!

Looks like it might be the fact that he needs Closed Captioning or SubTitles :)

And yes, Thunder...it IS out there on the 'net. The only ones with ST are ones with foreign ST's, but I'll keep an eye out for ya! Every Trek fan should see this ASAP!!

rkjg24
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Went and saw it twice over the weekend. This is now tied with Transformers as my favorite movie(s) of all time. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD!

Oh, and I want a Voyager movie as well.

OKCMallen
05-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Unless you're that tight on finances, you'll go see this. Even if you have to wait for the dollar theater (I'm betting in 2 1/2 months), go see it on a big screen.

I think this will be the best movie this year. I don't see anything on the horizon that's going to be as good as this.

Terminator Salvation has a shot of being as good. Honestly, it will probably be better-acted with Christan Bale involved....but Star Trek was just really, really good blockbuster-style fare!

Matt
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable' (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=a-section)

kevinpate
05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Gotta Love All Things Oniony

Shipwreck
05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
loved the movie too and forget jeri ryan - t'pal - the best thing ST Enterprise could give us....

EBAH
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Saw t at the press screening, paid to see it again the following Saturday. Great movie, best Trek film in a LONG time if not ever.

venture
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Saw it yesterday...mixed feelings on it, but really did enjoy it. I had to remind myself this is a prequel. I enjoyed the fact they did some back story on the characters and such. Towards the end I was looking forward to it continuing with the whole crew together, but that is for the next one I guess. Hopefully the next one does well with this new crew.

Now if they would just throw us a bone and get Janeway and gang back in a movie, that would be great. I didn't care for Voyager when it was on the air, but watching the repeats on Spike - especially the last few seasons - it is my favorite.

kevinpate
05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Captain Janeway, and most of the other V crew characters, were well written.
One major exception for me was Harry Kim. Why none of the writers ever pushed for the notion this waste of space deserved his own permanent transporter accident was a flaw for the show.

venture
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Harry's best parts were during Endgame. However, maybe that was the point. He was the kid always wanting to be more, and then he was the one that grew up to be captain. Chakotay I didn't care much for either. Also I wish with Seven after the sex appeal plan flopped, it would have been nice to tone her uniform down a bit - or actually give her one.

It is interesting though how many of the Voyager cast members had parts in the flop known as Enterprise.

SoonerDave
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Huge Trek fan from way back in the 70's, and I thought the movie rocked. Wonderful. My *73-year-old mom* loved it. My *wife* loved it. My *13-year-old-son* loved it.

In a word, ***huh???*** I've seen ALL the Trek movies and NONE, repeat, NONE of them have had this kind of broad appeal. I'm thunderstruck at the response.

Shatner was not in the movie because Kirk's character was (stupidly) killed off in one of the Next Generation movies. The producer of the new movie (J.J. Abrams) had a concept for a cameo for Shatner, but Shatner didn't want to do "just" a cameo, and Abrams coudn't conceive of a part for him that didn't seem "glued on" to the rest of the movie.

Given how tightly wound that two hours is, I think he was absolutely right.

Now, I gotta go figure out how to get one more screening of the movie :)

I loved Bones' initial scene with Kirk, "I'm probably gonna throw up on you....the wife got the whole planet in the divorce..." Great stuff.

I bought balcony tix for the Warren opening weekend *three weeks* ahead of the opening, and the area was *already* 50% sold out. It's an expensive treat, but its an *awesome* place to see a movie :)

metro
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I saw it at the main theatre in Warren this past weekend. The theatre is nice, but the movie wasn't as good as everyone is hyping it up to be. I did enjoy the movie though and will probably see any sequels.

Jon27
05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Excellent movie!

SavageDigital
05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
We viewed the movie at Tinseltown a few days ago and loved it. It was better than I had expected it to be.

The theatre is nice, but the movie wasn't as good as everyone is hyping it up to be.

Another shocking break from the pack.