View Full Version : Mayor's annual Development Roundtable

metro
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Just FYI in case any of you wanted to register and haven't yet. I hear it's almost sold out.

City of Oklahoma City | Mayor's Development Roundtable (http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/)

Each spring, Mayor Mick Cornett hosts the Mayor’s Development Roundtable. This event highlights the public and private sector’s commitment to developing a great community by bringing together national speakers, local panel members, and attendees to discuss topics relevant to Oklahoma City’s growth and development.
Details:
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Cox Business Services Convention Center – Great Hall C

Registration is $75 and includes breakfast, snacks, and lunch.
National and Local Speakers. Open-forum discussions.
Mayor’s award of recognition for outstanding development in Oklahoma City.
For questions, please e-mail mayorsroundtable@factor110.com or call 405.604.0041.

If you experience problems with the registration form, contact web@register110.com with the details of the problem and for assistance.

Program:

Welcome and Opening Remarks

Kick-off Keynote

Session 1
In the ‘Center’ of It All
What are the economic impacts and opportunities of elevating Oklahoma City to Tier II status?

Roundtable 1
Facilitated discussion with local panel and attendees

Session 2
From Streetscapes to Skyscrapers
How will the Devon Tower, Myriad Gardens, and new streetscapes transform Downtown?

Roundtable 2
Facilitated discussion with local panel and attendees
Mayor’s Keynote
Award Presentation

metro
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Im here live now. Big political push from Mick and Roy for Maps 3 convention center. They are dodging transit issues.

LakeEffect
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Im here live now. Big political push from Mick and Roy for Maps 3 convention center. They are dodging transit issues.

The Mayor didn't seem to dodge it during lunch, did he?

Urban Pioneer
05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah Metro. I'm not sure I agree with that. Dodging would have been not bringing it it at all. He did bring it up and said we need to deal with it and we need to deal with it at the same time as MAPS.

Steve
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I talked to the mayor today. He left no wiggle room at all in saying transit will be in MAPS 3. There is no dodging here. He discussed in the big room and he didn't hesitate to answer it with me.

soonerguru
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I talked to the mayor today. He left no wiggle room at all in saying transit will be in MAPS 3. There is no dodging here. He discussed in the big room and he didn't hesitate to answer it with me.

That is awesome news. I've really grown to respect Mayor Mick.

warreng88
05-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Mayor Cornett sets sights on building new OKC convention center
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record May 14, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Mayor Mick Cornett focused much of his annual development roundtable Wednesday on a long-term, multimillion-dollar project, likely to be the largest component in an upcoming MAPS3 tax issue: the construction of a new hotel convention center.

Speakers at the downtown event reinforced Cornett’s assertion that the center is necessary to strengthen the city’s economy and even protect it from stagnation.

“Size really does matter,” said Bill Boyd, chief executive of Sunbelt Motivation and Travel Inc. “If you are tier three right now and have the resources to move up to a tier-two city, what comes with a tier-two city with all the expansion of tourism and conferences and shows coming to your city, it will greatly expand your tax base.”

And if the city does nothing, content with events the Cox Convention Center can handle now, he said, “you’re not going to remain static; you’re going to start decreasing.”

Cornett’s guests also presented information about the value of streetscaping and Devon Energy’s planned skyscraper construction downtown. The mayor concluded the event with the presentation of the Award for Outstanding Development to Stanton Young, president of the Young Cos., for his involvement in helping develop the medical health industry in central Oklahoma.

But the majority of the annual economic overview involved statistics about the convention center industry, details about Oklahoma City’s closest competitors for hosting major events, and insights into the $130 billion industry by experts such as Boyd and John Kaatz, principal with CSL International.

For example, many trade shows are booked up to 10 years in advance, Boyd said, so if Oklahoma City voters do end up supporting the construction of a new convention center, its marketing needs to begin almost immediately. A major image upgrade or rebranding for the city would be helpful as well.

Oklahoma City is already competing against mega hotel-convention center complexes that offer everything under one roof, he said. Although the city has a large hotel room capacity, it’s spread throughout downtown when many event organizers would prefer to make things simple for their participants. “It’s really thrown a roadblock to conventions coming to Oklahoma City,” he said.

The city’s main regional competitors for events are St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Fort Worth, Albuquerque, Little Rock and Tulsa, most of which have recently completed renovations. And across the country, other convention center expansions are already under way, which will only increase Oklahoma City’s challenges.

That information and other aspects of Boyd’s presentation are available for viewing online at intro (http://www.sunbeltmotivation.com/oklahoma).

Cornett and other city leaders continued to stress the importance of maintaining momentum with MAPS-branded tax issues. The first MAPS, or Metropolitan Area Projects, was approved by public vote in 1993 when residents established a 1-cent, five-year sales tax to fund nine projects, including the construction of the Bricktown Ballpark, renovation of the Cox Business Services Convention Center, and development of the Oklahoma River. The second MAPS, which stood for Metropolitan Area Public Schools, kept that penny in play when voters passed two initiatives to fund local school districts. Seventy percent of revenue generated from the sales tax went to Oklahoma City Public Schools for the construction of new buildings, technology and other improvements.

The MAPS3 package is expected to include projects involving a large public park near downtown and mass transit system upgrades, items supported by public polls. Other projects have yet to be decided.

“Convention centers are controversial,” Cornett said of the estimated $200 million to $300 million project. “Obviously we’re not the first city to build a new convention center. In fact, we may be the last city to build a convention center.

“And you see all sorts of reactions to a community investing in its convention center,” he said. “Even if we took to those arguments, one by one, and I argued against them – which I do typically on a daily or hourly basis on occasion – at the end of the day, you have to realize that from a MAPS3 perspective, and the time it takes to build a convention center … it will be nearly 50 years since the Cox Convention Center opened.”

Ultimately, supporting convention center-driven tourism is integral to overall quality of life and economic development, Cornett said. In order to capture those events that bring thousands of visitors to the city to spend their money, city leaders have to also keep in mind the development of other amenities such as restaurants, retail and transportation, all of which are attractive to new businesses looking to locate in the area and the next generation of workers looking for somewhere nice to live.

In order for the MAPS3 penny sales tax to pick up without a lapse in 2010 when the MAPS For Kids issue expires, a plan has to be put up for public vote as soon as possible, probably in December, Cornett said.

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=98638

metro
05-14-2009, 07:29 AM

In all fairness, I posted that comment live earlier in the program while we were there. Your and Jeff's comments were posted yesterday evening after the conference. He did dodge a couple questions that should have talked about transit. The only question he had in his hand at one time (was my question) talked about transit and the convention center. You could see him read it quietly and then choose not to read it. As stated, he DID talk about transit towards the end of the day during/after lunch. I DO feel more relaxed and confident now as he stated transit WILL be a part of MAPS 3. Now if we can just continue the momentum behind the Welcome | Modern Transit Project in Oklahoma City (http://www.mtpokc.com) initiative to be the campaign that gets transit into MAPS3! Still without question, both he and Roy Williams pushed the convention center MUCH harder than anything. I'm anxious to see the MAPS 3 announcement soon.

kevinpate
05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Not to put a damper on things, well, ok, it may have that impact, if the powers what be elect to include a mere 2% expansion of the bus fleet, CNG powered or traditional, then transit can be said to be a part of the next MAPS.

I doubt that's what the poll packers were wishing for when transit was a far and away favorite, but it does seem it gets as much, or more, lip service than heart and soul from some of the key folks out there

metro
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, for all those who think C2S is pie in the sky, I wouldn't rule that out. As Steve said in his blog (OKC Central (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/)) today, C2S is more than just plans. Also I met a few out-of-state developers (from real hip cities) at the Mayor's Roundtable that are already scouting land in the C2S area. I do agree the Core needs to be our immediate focus, but the "shore" is more than just dreams.

soonerguru
05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Not to put a damper on things, well, ok, it may have that impact, if the powers what be elect to include a mere 2% expansion of the bus fleet, CNG powered or traditional, then transit can be said to be a part of the next MAPS.

I doubt that's what the poll packers were wishing for when transit was a far and away favorite, but it does seem it gets as much, or more, lip service than heart and soul from some of the key folks out there

Let's see. I'm choosing to remain optimistic right now. The mayor would have a tough time selling to the public such a paltry expansion.

The bottom line is that transit appears to be the most popular element of MAPS III. Why would they risk upsetting voters who would support MAPS? That would make no political sense at all.

They will have a tougher time selling the convention center.

wsucougz
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not all down on the convention center, but just imagine the creative ways in which we could put that $400 million to use. It seems like we're just applying the "template" of what a modern American City is supposed to be like, or something. A lavish arena, a lavish convention center...

It isn't hard to imagine how we could take that sort of money and come up with our own ideas, create our own unique destiny, so to speak. Invent new reasons, outside of the usual paradigm, for people to want to come here. Right now we're pretty much just following the pack in a lot of ways.

metro
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
wsu, while you have a good point, by the same token, these are BASIC INFRUSTRUCTURE needs of any major city, and as Mick said, we are probably the last to do a major renovation/expansion or build a new convention center. Even if it passed today, we're looking at a 2020 opening probably. We need these basic infrustructure improvements so maybe MAPS4 in 5-8 years or so, then we can be more creative and do citywide beautification, arts, parks and other things.

HOT ROD
05-14-2009, 11:57 PM
well said Metro. I totally agree that OKC is probably the last major city in America to develop a full convention facility. Other cities are renovating theirs - but they already have one.

Again, I am speaking of MAJOR cities - which OKC is in the club for the last 15 years. So, OKC needs to have the BASIC infrastructure that big cities have. OKC has some catching up to do - and I see that is what MAPS 3 (and maybe even MAPS 4) will be - catch up.

After OKC has the transit, pedestrian focus, airport, convention centre, arena, sports facilities/stadium(s), community centres, etc - that peer big cities have or better; then OKC will always be the BEST little city and Worst big city.

Compared to OKC former peers (Tulsa, Little Rock, Omaha, ABQ, etc), OKC is tops in almost every category. But, compared to OKC's NEW peers (Denver, Seattle, Ft Worth, Austin, SAT, Portland, Baltimore, Indy) - OKC in most ways is at or near the bottom. This is what needs to change and OKC needs another huge injection (or two) to really get the BIG CITY momentum so that it will never return to Tier III.

Again, OKC has made HUGE steps so far and definitely is in the Tier II club - nobody can argue against that. BUT - most will argue OKC is barely a member and without some more public investment; it will continue to be difficult to convince national investment to take a risk on Oklahoma City.

Again - I think Portland, OR is Oklahoma City's mentor since there are many significant similarities; OKC is about 15 years behind Portland in many areas - but I think back at PDX then and it is where OKC is now, on the verge (today, Portland is a very solid Tier II city; despite HUGE competition with Vancouver, Seattle, and San Fran - all three MUCH larger and even world class in vancouver and sf)

Portland holds a certain niche and does very well at it. OKC has similar competition close by, OKC needs to find that niche market that Dallas can not serve - and do as Portland, serve it well and own it.

At the same time, I do hope there is a significant Transit component to MAPS III along with the major convention center and some city wide IMPACT projects. I hope the transit is minimum: downtown streetcar (whose initial route covers all of the existing districts, maybe also tie to the OHC), possible commuter rail {if the state/feds also come on}, major overhaul on the city bus (again - see Portland!!!), implementation of Express Bus to the suburbs, and 'solid plans' for light rail.

I don't think OKC is there yet for light rail - ridership would be way too low. But OKC IS ready for the downtown streetcar and even some extension of it into the inner city. That would help build a very solid core - which would also bring major employment downtown; which starts to develop the need for commuter rail to the suburbs and light rail in inner/outer OKC.

In fact, I think OKC could do commuter rail now in the Norman/Edmond corridor - but we could start with Express/Commuter Bus if the feds/state does not come on board with commuter rail (they may not, they may want 'proof' with successful Commuter Bus first).

As long as this is in MAPS III - and we have some tangible transit that is needed now and tangible plans for the future once funding become available; I don't see why it would not pass no matter what else is included.

I do agree that if OKC had a major convention center - OKC would have it booked nonstop; because OKC does have a niche that Dallas can not serve - so capitalize on that and do it right - and do it well.

Tier2City
05-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Really excellent points made by Hot Rod. We should look at what can realistically be done with transit now in terms of strongest voter approval, funding needs and most importantly, what would be immediate ridership and economic development successes. These can then serve as effective proofs of concept to help get further, more extensive transit improvements in the future.

Tier2City
05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Also, I heard that on Wednesday the Mayor explicitly mentioned the address of the maps3.org (http://www.maps3.org) website and the importance of the citizen suggestions. That seems like quite a hostage to fortune to me given how high transit ranked compared to any other MAPS 3 suggestions.

metro
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Tier 2, you are correct, he did refer to the MAPS 3 website and the citizen suggestions. I agree that right there should tell you that TRANSIT, should be leading the MAPS 3 initiative. Add the annual Citizen Survey to that, and without question it should be TOP PRIORITY. What really ticked me off, is that they kept referring to Gaylord Entertainment Mega Complexes for conferences around the country. Many of them are better than our own COX Center. We can't even get our own Gaylord Family to invest in a Mega Complex such as this in their own state!

okclee
05-19-2009, 07:36 AM
^^ The Mayor might know something and he isn't saying it, with his reference to the Gaylord Entertainment Complex.

He may know that if we are to pass a MAPS 3 with a new convention center that Gaylord would be the one building it. I have already been thinking that this would be the case, since the Mayor and Co. are so strongly for a new mega-million convention center with a hotel.

metro
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
No, I seriously doubt he knows anything about Gaylord Entertainment coming here. I seriously doubt Gaylord will want to build one in Oklahoma. We're not a tourist or business mecca like the other cities they have complexes in. If you were at the Development Roundtable, you would have been able to tell how they were using that as one of many competitors in their statistics. Now, perhaps I could see Gaylord doing the convention hotel, that I could go for.

Decious
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Now, perhaps I could see Gaylord doing the convention hotel, that I could go for.

If they do, hopefully it doesn't resemble a sprawling plantation like all but one of their current hotels.

soonerguru
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
If they do, hopefully it doesn't resemble a sprawling plantation like all but one of their current hotels.

Yes. I agree. I visited the monstrosity in Grapevine and was very unimpressed.

Tier2City
05-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Excellent posts by Blair Humphries on his Imaginative America (http://http://imaginativeamerica.com/)blog on the dialing back of public transit in MAPS 3. Is it too late to stop it?

okclee
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
No, I seriously doubt he knows anything about Gaylord Entertainment coming here. I seriously doubt Gaylord will want to build one in Oklahoma. We're not a tourist or business mecca like the other cities they have complexes in. If you were at the Development Roundtable, you would have been able to tell how they were using that as one of many competitors in their statistics. Now, perhaps I could see Gaylord doing the convention hotel, that I could go for.

I think you mis-read my statement.

I was saying that Mayor Mick has information that IF maps 3 passes with a convention center / hotel as part of the package. Then Gaylord Entertainment would be the beneficial hotel company.

I am not saying that the mayor has any type of verbal contract to guarantee Gaylord anything, but don't be surprised if Gaylord Ent. gets the convention center hotel if this whole thing goes as I think it will.

metro
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
It's time again for the annual Mayor's Development Roundtable.

May 12, 2010
8 a.m.-1 p.m.
Cox Business Services Convention Center - Great Hall C

Welcome and Opening Remarks
Mayor Mick Cornett
Opening Kick-off
Mark Beffort, Grubb & Ellis | Levy Beffort
An overview of the challenges and opportunities presented by the upcoming downtown office vacancy situation.

Session 1: A Streetcar We Desire
Keith Jones, URS Corporation
We will discuss the objectives and requirements of locating out MAPS3-funded downtown streetcar and how it could impact future development and our transportation system.

Roundtable 1
Rick Cain, City of Oklahoma City
Tom McDaniel, Oklahoma City University
James Ellison, Othello Partners, Inc.
Mayor Cornett will facilitate discussion between Session 1 speaker, local panel members, and attendees

Session 2: Building for the Future
Laura Keyes, Atlanta Regional Commission
What are the development needs of Oklahoma City's changing demographics? Are we building the right retail, services and housing to attract and retain our young and aging citizens?

Roundtable 2
Judy Hatfield, Equity Realty, Inc.
Jay Johnston, Johnston Builders
Kenyon Morgan, Kenyon Morgan Architects PLLC
Mayor Cornett will facilitate discussion between Session 2 speaker, local panel members, and attendees

Lunch & Mayor's Keynote
Update on MAPS 3 and Project 180

Award for Outstanding Development
To be announced at Roundtable

Visit City of Oklahoma City | Mayor's Development Roundtable (http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable) for more information.

possumfritter
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info metro. That's plenty of time to put together a quiet little demonstartion/protest. I think the City will give us a permit?????

Spartan
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging a protest at this event is actually a really good idea.

ljbab728
04-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info metro. That's plenty of time to put together a quiet little demonstartion/protest. I think the City will give us a permit?????

Demonstration and protest against what? Against development or personal protest against some of the people there? It might make someone feel better thinking they have made a point but as a practical matter it wouldn't accomplish anything. It sounds to me like there are some very worthwhile topics being discussed.

metro
05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Tomorrow is the Mayors Development Roundtable, anyone going? I won't be able to this year.

Spartan
05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I've never understood why they charge $75 for attending this..

Larry OKC
05-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Its to keep the riff-raff out

rcjunkie
05-12-2010, 04:02 AM
its to keep the riff-raff out

riff--raff = protesters

LakeEffect
05-12-2010, 06:13 AM
I've never understood why they charge $75 for attending this..

To help pay for the food and the speakers... you think it should be free? It's replayed on Channel 20 if you want to watch.

rcjunkie
05-12-2010, 08:45 AM
This is a no win situation for the Mayor and City, people complain because they charge 75.00 to attend (pays for food and speakers), however, if it were free, they would complain that the City is wastefully spending money.

Spartan
05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
To help pay for the food and the speakers... you think it should be free? It's replayed on Channel 20 if you want to watch.

They should take out the food and keep it around $30. I wouldn't be able to make it either way since I have work as do others, but I think that something like this developer's roundtable concept should be made accessible to the public and especially college students studying city planning or architecture or maybe history students, or anyone whose familiar with the growth of urban cities in general. We don't have something like that and a typical city council meeting isn't really versed in urban matters.

metro
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
So did anyone go? I had a conflict of schedule. Steve? I heard from Blair Humphreys that it started off slow, but ended up with a great vision casting speech from Mayor Mick.

kevinpate
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
They should take out the food and keep it around $30. I wouldn't be able to make it either way since I have work as do others, but I think that something like this developer's roundtable concept should be made accessible to the public and especially college students studying city planning or architecture or maybe history students, or anyone whose familiar with the growth of urban cities in general. We don't have something like that and a typical city council meeting isn't really versed in urban matters.

Gather some like minded folk
Order in some lower $ grub of choice
Tune in to the replay
Optional - Play beer pong after the closing remarks.

okclee
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Did any attend this event want to share the information?

I can't find anything on the Okc website either?

DirtLaw
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I went and found the first session regarding street car systems interesting and entertaining and found the second session regarding aging population and what to do about it to be pretty weak. The presenter for the second session dealing with suburbs and aging population was from Atlanta and had never been here so when asked what things she sees in our city that needs improvement her answer was that the furthest she had been from the Colcord hotel was the bombing memorial. Her speech seemed more like a Atlanta pep rally look how good we have done rather than here are some things that your city is doing well and here are some things that could use improvement.

okclee
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

I would like to find more, hopefully we will be able to download some of the information as with the previous years.

khook
06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
The round-tables have been featured on the city channel 20 on cox at different showtimes. The Atlanta person did do a good job of pointing out the aging populations and the need for public transportation for them to get around. Using rail systems, bus system and aging transport systems she point out that they must all work together and have an interconnectedness. For the upcoming senior rec centers in maps 3 we need to be very aware of the public transportation connection to those centers. We should not assume the all the seniors are going to be driving or want to drive.

I don't know if she was really asked to look at OKC but was invited to speak due to her working with aging proposals in Atlanta and was there for information to start the process of what the aging population will need.

Oh and one of the most important facts she showed was right now 1 in 10 of the population is over sixty-five-- yet in a few short years it will be 1 in 5. That's a huge demographic shift.

okclee
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
good info, thanks.

I will see if I can find it on ch 20.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
The round-tables have been featured on the city channel 20 on cox at different showtimes. The Atlanta person did do a good job of pointing out the aging populations and the need for public transportation for them to get around. Using rail systems, bus system and aging transport systems she point out that they must all work together and have an interconnectedness. For the upcoming senior rec centers in maps 3 we need to be very aware of the public transportation connection to those centers. We should not assume the all the seniors are going to be driving or want to drive.

I don't know if she was really asked to look at OKC but was invited to speak due to her working with aging proposals in Atlanta and was there for information to start the process of what the aging population will need.

Oh and one of the most important facts she showed was right now 1 in 10 of the population is over sixty-five-- yet in a few short years it will be 1 in 5. That's a huge demographic shift.

That rules out the OU student proposal..