View Full Version : Windows 7

MadMonk
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
So, has anyone here been testing the beta? Have you downloaded the release candidate that was just released?

I've been running beta since it's release and have been very impressed with it's speed, stability and features. Anyone have any weird issues?

One thing that has bugged me is that on the logon screen, the password box has a lot of horizontal lines in it, that come and go as you type. Other than that I have no other video-related oddities.

Other issues:

A few random lockups with IE7
Occasionally, when the machine goes into sleep mode, it goes into what I would call a deep sleep. It doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse, the keyboard and mouse have no lights - like they were unplugged. It also has no response to pressing the power button, which should wake it up. The only recourse is to either hold the power button down or press the reset button. It does it randomly, sometimes it will spend hours in sleep mode doing just fine, but then the next time it goes into deep sleep after a while.
Sound card compatability - I have an older Audigy II Pro with an external head unit and it only works for basic sounds - Creative Labs doesn't have an updated driver that works for it. Not sure if they ever will.
Wish I could try out the new Home Group networking, but this is my only test box (you need other Windows 7 machines to use it).

What are your experiences?

okcpulse
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I can't run it yet... I have several major software development projects and video editing projects under way on my workstation. But on my HP notebook, it runs great, other than it makes DVD movies look like crap. I think a few codecs are missing.

southernskye
05-07-2009, 09:32 PM
So, has anyone here been testing the beta? Have you downloaded the release candidate that was just released?

I've been running beta since it's release and have been very impressed with it's speed, stability and features. Anyone have any weird issues?

One thing that has bugged me is that on the logon screen, the password box has a lot of horizontal lines in it, that come and go as you type. Other than that I have no other video-related oddities.

Other issues:

A few random lockups with IE7
Occasionally, when the machine goes into sleep mode, it goes into what I would call a deep sleep. It doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse, the keyboard and mouse have no lights - like they were unplugged. It also has no response to pressing the power button, which should wake it up. The only recourse is to either hold the power button down or press the reset button. It does it randomly, sometimes it will spend hours in sleep mode doing just fine, but then the next time it goes into deep sleep after a while.
Sound card compatability - I have an older Audigy II Pro with an external head unit and it only works for basic sounds - Creative Labs doesn't have an updated driver that works for it. Not sure if they ever will.
Wish I could try out the new Home Group networking, but this is my only test box (you need other Windows 7 machines to use it).

What are your experiences?
We are planning on downloading the release candidate this weekend. Hopefully some of the driver issues with the beta have been cleared up . Even in beta, I am very impressed with 7.

MadMonk
05-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, got it installed and patched last night. Still have the odd video artifacts. :cuss2:

Sound card issues remain as well. I may eventually end up scrapping the card for a newer one, but it works good enough for now.

bretthexum
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Downloading as we speak. I've also heard good things about it

Bunty
05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
From my spare pc it takes too long to boot up and the new desktop toolbar is going to take some getting used to.

MadMonk
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
From my spare pc it takes too long to boot up and the new desktop toolbar is going to take some getting used to.
Did that spare PC run Vista at all? I've never installed Vista on my test box so I really can't compare how it ran vs. 7. What are your machine's specs?

Bunty
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Did that spare PC run Vista at all? I've never installed Vista on my test box so I really can't compare how it ran vs. 7. What are your machine's specs?

No, it didn't. The specs are 2.25 GB DDR memory, AMD 64x2, 2.0 gHz. The Windows Exp. index is 4.7. It takes a bit over a minute and a half to get booted up. It's the 64 bit edition.

I put Windows 7 32 bit on my cheap 15.4" laptop via upgrade, and it turned out well. It had Vista basic and so I missed the aero effects. My laptop has 1GB of DDR2 memory. It also requires a bit over a minute and a half to boot up.

MadMonk
05-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Mine is an old P4 2.6GHz, with 1.5GB of memory. My index is 3.1, mainly due to the slow proc and memory. It still runs decently though. Haven't really timed the boot up since when I turn it on in the morning I walk away doing other things and then come back to it. I'm curious on how my boot up will compare so I'll make an effort to time it soon.

BMG
05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Ive been running 7 since December. The only issue I encountered with that build was a nvidia driver crashing once in a while.

Ive been running the RC since its been available and I have to say I am very happy and impressed. No issues at all so far.