View Full Version : Will we get this?

circuitboard
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma City Could Bid for AF2 Headquarters - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=10320895)

circuitboard
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma City Could Bid for AF2 Headquarters
Posted: May 07, 2009 10:11 AM CDT
Updated: May 07, 2009 10:13 AM CDT
MORE LINKS
Official AF2 Web siteAssociated Press

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa plans to submit a bid to become the new home of the Arena Football2 league's national headquarters. Oklahoma City is also expected to bid for the headquarters.

The league plans to relocate from Chicago, and president Jerry Kurz says he expects to receive bids from a total of six cities that have AF2 teams.

Jacksonville, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., Oklahoma City, Bossier City, La., Spokane, Wash., Des Moines, Iowa, and Albany, N.Y., are also expected to bid for the headquarters.

The league office has 12 full-time employees and up to 12 interns per college semester and hosts af2's annual league meetings and officials clinics.

Kurz hopes to recommend a new home for the league headquarters to AF2's executive committee by June 1.

Midtowner
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
24 jobs?

This is not a big deal.

circuitboard
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
24 jobs?

This is not a big deal.

Good point.

Thunder
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Put them in Crossroads? :LolLolLol

Steve
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
It's a big deal if ...
You're an out-of-work public relations professional in what is a very tight job market and that spot is open as the league moves to your town.
It's a big deal if ...
You worked for the Blazers, was one of those laid off, and you hope to get a position with the league.
It's a big deal if ...
You're a property owner and would like a shot at renting out the 10,000 or so square feet an organization of this size would typically require.

sroberts24
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
its a big deal for league office's of any profesional sport to be located in your town

BDP
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Is AFL2 a big deal in OKC?

Hopefully, it comes to Oklahoma, but it's no coup if it does.

wsucougz
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Come one, come all.

Midtowner
05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
It's a big deal if ...
You're an out-of-work public relations professional in what is a very tight job market and that spot is open as the league moves to your town.
It's a big deal if ...
You worked for the Blazers, was one of those laid off, and you hope to get a position with the league.
It's a big deal if ...
You're a property owner and would like a shot at renting out the 10,000 or so square feet an organization of this size would typically require.

Oh sure. I just don't want the city bending over backwards to lure a small fish. A city like OKC shouldn't have to offer incentives to lure a company with 12 full time employees and 12 interns. We have plenty to offer: cheap real estate, a ready supply of experienced people, several universities in the immediate area which would mean a ready supply of talented interns.

At some point, the city has to be able to sell itself. This AF2 HQ is something I wouldn't be too excited about because it's always going to be a small operation and just as soon as its lease is up, it'll be looking for incentives to move elsewhere.

progressiveboy
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh sure. I just don't want the city bending over backwards to lure a small fish. A city like OKC shouldn't have to offer incentives to lure a company with 12 full time employees and 12 interns. We have plenty to offer: cheap real estate, a ready supply of experienced people, several universities in the immediate area which would mean a ready supply of talented interns.

At some point, the city has to be able to sell itself. This AF2 HQ is something I wouldn't be too excited about because it's always going to be a small operation and just as soon as its lease is up, it'll be looking for incentives to move elsewhere. Agree. The city should try to bid and lure companies such as Fortune 500 or even mid size companies. HQ's of mid to large size companies establish roots in an community and make donations and sponsering of arts and community based needs. OKC should not compete for "small" things" IMHO.

hoya
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
What? I'm a little amazed at some of these comments.

We should be happy to get the AF2 headquarters. Should we be as happy as we were when the NBA came to town? No, of course not. But it's still a big deal. It can only help increase our city's visibility.

It looks like the first thing we need to learn here is that even "big league" cities normally bend over backward for things like this. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't get it, but we at least need to put on the appearance that we want them here. Some of you are acting offended that we even put in a bid.

We don't need to get so selective that we turn up our nose at everything that comes our way. Yes, ideally, we want Fortune 500 companies to come here, but if we've got the opportunity to snag something like this, let's be happy about it and not pretend we're too good for it.

Steve
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Midtowner, I didn't see incentives mentioned in the story. You're the first to raise this issue from what I've heard.

progressiveboy
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
What? I'm a little amazed at some of these comments.

We should be happy to get the AF2 headquarters. Should we be as happy as we were when the NBA came to town? No, of course not. But it's still a big deal. It can only help increase our city's visibility.

It looks like the first thing we need to learn here is that even "big league" cities normally bend over backward for things like this. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't get it, but we at least need to put on the appearance that we want them here. Some of you are acting offended that we even put in a bid.

We don't need to get so selective that we turn up our nose at everything that comes our way. Yes, ideally, we want Fortune 500 companies to come here, but if we've got the opportunity to snag something like this, let's be happy about it and not pretend we're too good for it. Actually, there is nothing wrong at being "selective" when it comes to luring and obtaining headquarters for companies. I feel one needs to look at the bigger picture and how this would benefit the community on a "long term" basis. Who's to say this organization could go belly up in a few years? I would put my faith in landing a more stable, long term employer with a good, solid reputation and prosperous. I hardly think that a AF2 headquarters would add visibility to our city IMHO.

venture
05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
I would imagine the AF2 headquarters would bring the city about as much publicity as the Six Flags did before they were packed up and shipped east.

hoya
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Actually, there is nothing wrong at being "selective" when it comes to luring and obtaining headquarters for companies. I feel one needs to look at the bigger picture and how this would benefit the community on a "long term" basis. Who's to say this organization could go belly up in a few years? I would put my faith in landing a more stable, long term employer with a good, solid reputation and prosperous. I hardly think that a AF2 headquarters would add visibility to our city IMHO.

You mean, how does it benefit the city over not having it? We don't have a limited number of spots available. It's not like a company is going to say "well, we were going to go to Oklahoma City, but they don't have any more room..."

OKCMallen
05-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm surprised at the cavalier attitude in this thread. If we end up getting more out of it than we give, then DO IT. Not like this is a big deal, but shrugging it away is silly. (Or even break even..."breaking even" is still a win when 24 more individuals have jobs.)

adaniel
05-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm surprised at the cavalier attitude in this thread. If we end up getting more out of it than we give, then DO IT. Not like this is a big deal, but shrugging it away is silly. (Or even break even..."breaking even" is still a win when 24 more individuals have jobs.)

Exactly my sentiments. Dallas went gaga a few years back over luring Boeing even though it was bringing 500 jobs to an area with a workforce of (now) 4 million. FWIW it didn't get it. No, its not the headquarters of the NFL, and no, luring in any one headquarters will usher in a new era of prosperity. But it will be a "feather in the cap" of OKC per say that it has the headquarters of anything. A lot of cities right now with the economy the way it is would kill for 24 good paying jobs and a corporate headquarters of any type. Besides this area badly needs to diversify its economy away from oil and this is a start at least.

Stan Silliman
05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
If you bring in one sports league headquarters, other sports league headquarters will want to to join.

Darts? Professional darts. I could see that coming. You want to locate in a town where members of their most prominent online community throw darts at one another.

Women's Professional Billards Association? I can see it. They play their finals the last two years at the Riverwind and these gals are lookers. They wouldn't mind being next to the darts headquarters.

Rodeo League Headquarters? Why not? Tie it to the Cowboy H of F.

National Tournament Bass Fishing Association HQs?

How many articles do I have about the above four sports? At least one each. Will I post them below? Sure. Thought you'd never ask.

WPBA (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/WPBA_nicknames.html)

bass fishing (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/bassbaffles.html)

rodeo (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/rodeo_not_just_bull.html)

Midtowner
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
The next thing you know, ESPN 8, "The Ocho" will want to locate here.

kevinpate
05-10-2009, 03:59 AM
The next thing you know, ESPN 8, "The Ocho" will want to locate here.

Don't knock it mid, maybe you could become their Irven
:kicking:

grantgeneral78
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree for those 24 people it is a big deal.

Kepner78
05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Grant?! Skateboarder Grant?! It's Bibb here, what's goin on!

If it's not the right Grant, disregard. Later.

on topic: maybe it'll be a good thing. you never know...

Brandon Rush
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Tulsa has all but locked this up with the bend-over-backwards offer they have given the league...

for those who want to knock it, thats fine, but this is a direct minor league to the NFL for coaches, players, and personnel alike...

john60
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Tulsa has all but locked this up with the bend-over-backwards offer they have given the league...

for those who want to knock it, thats fine, but this is a direct minor league to the NFL for coaches, players, and personnel alike...

Is it really a direct minor league to the NFL? The talent difference between af2 and the NFL seems pretty big to me...It doesn't seem like many guys playing af2 ball will be in the NFL anytime soon (or ever)...

metro
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah, if anything I would think AFL would be more direct to NFL than AFL2.

Brandon Rush
05-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Is it really a direct minor league to the NFL? The talent difference between af2 and the NFL seems pretty big to me...It doesn't seem like many guys playing af2 ball will be in the NFL anytime soon (or ever)...

There have already been af2 players signed by NFL teams this season with still more to come once the NFL preseason draws near.

With the AFL not playing this season, NFL teams are looking elsewhere, and IF the AFL doesn't return, where do you think those players are going to go?!

Brandon Rush
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Plus the af2 is littered with players who were in NFL training camps last season before getting released, including Kelly Butler and Carlton Brewster here in OKC...