View Full Version : $38 million development being proposed across from BOK Center

Pages : [1] 2

BigTulsa
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I believe this is a long time coming.

Tulsa World: $38 million development being proposed across from BOK Center (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090505_298_0_Amilli86106)

metro
05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Also saw the article yesterday where there is nothing to do near the BOK, the only restaurant nearby closed. This would be a good boost to the BOK district if it comes to fruition.

metro
05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Here is the pic of the proposed development:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090505_oneplace.jpg
An architect's rendering of an aerial view of proposed One Place development showing proximity to BOK Center.

Karried
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Nice!

Midtowner
05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
If Tulsa is anything like OKC, the final development will end up being much smaller and barely having any resemblance to the original proposal.

fromdust
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
If Tulsa is anything like OKC, the final development will end up being much smaller and barely having any resemblance to the original proposal.

lets hope theyre not like okc.

john60
05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
The design seems to be very good--designed as a "shortcut" for pedestrians to get to BOK Center. Being able to funnel pedestrians through a pedestrian-friendly zone that includes mixed use stuff is something that we don't really have. No one really parks their car and passes retail/restaurants all the way up to Ford Center. Its a lot of walking next to busy streets/backs of buildings.

Doesn't KC kind of have a similar concept with the Power and Light district? I've never really seen it, but from what I've heard its kind of similar; it was built alongside the Sprint Center at the same time. I wonder how well that recently developed "built from scratch" concept is working right next to their arena.

I've also never been to BOK, but is this development in an area of downtown that will make it possible for it to be active on non-event nights? I guess it doesn't really have much competition...

BigTulsa
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
The design seems to be very good--designed as a "shortcut" for pedestrians to get to BOK Center. Being able to funnel pedestrians through a pedestrian-friendly zone that includes mixed use stuff is something that we don't really have. No one really parks their car and passes retail/restaurants all the way up to Ford Center. Its a lot of walking next to busy streets/backs of buildings.

Doesn't KC kind of have a similar concept with the Power and Light district? I've never really seen it, but from what I've heard its kind of similar; it was built alongside the Sprint Center at the same time. I wonder how well that recently developed "built from scratch" concept is working right next to their arena.

I've also never been to BOK, but is this development in an area of downtown that will make it possible for it to be active on non-event nights? I guess it doesn't really have much competition...

Actually, the Blue Dome District does give it some competition, but why would it have to compete? It's an enhancement. Anything that gets people downtown throughout the week is a good thing, no matter what city you live in.

warreng88
05-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Developer targets Tulsa arena traffic
by Kirby Lee Davis
The Journal Record May 8, 2009
TULSA – Bob Eggleston faces a race against time.

The Tulsa Development Authority agreed Thursday to a 21-day negotiation period with Eggleston for his investor group to buy about 1.5 acres at Third Street and Denver Avenue, a prime spot facing the BOK Center arena entrance.

With that and other lands on the block at his disposal, Eggleston hopes to raise One Place, a projected $38 million to $44 million complex mixing retail, office, lofts and a hotel.

That multilevel project would mine commercial opportunities relatively untapped since the 18,000-seat arena opened in September.

But even if the partnership One Development LLC reaches an agreement with the TDA, that still puts the project three or more years away from opening – a long lag time when trying to change instilled consumer habits against shopping and dining downtown.

Some restaurant operators have grumbled about concert-goers spending little money during their downtown visits. One restaurant that opened last year, anticipating strong BOK Center business, has already closed.

“Sometimes they come here, sometimes it is not so good,” said Mariana Rojas, who with her husband, Guillermo, moved their Latin grill Casa Laredo to the Adams Hotel Building in September, just a block away from the Vision 2025 arena.

With a national recession slowly creeping into the Tulsa economy, some analysts fear the arena’s novelty and curiosity factors could fade within consumers over those three construction years, returning a sense of routine and indifference.

“Traditional retail doesn’t work there,” analyst Bob Parker said of modern downtown environments. “There’s too many alternatives closer to where they live. And you can’t just live off of the one or two events, that big concert every month.”

Eggleston understands the challenge. As the former construction director on the BOK Center, he often wondered why no developer moved on his targeted lot.

“You have to create a critical mass to keep people downtown,” Eggleston said. “One restaurant does not do that.”

By mixing residential with restaurants, retail, office and hospitality, Eggleston said One Place will create a self-sustaining synergy that may capitalize on potential arena business.

The project would benefit from several other downtown residential efforts coming online during his construction period, along with the renovated Tulsa Convention Center and the Oneok Field ballpark to debut next year.

Parker said those steps could sustain and build downtown momentum for a project like One Place.

“I don’t think it’s much of a risk at all,” said Ben Edwards, a consultant to Eggleston who also worked with him on the arena. “The Blue Dome District shows the market and the need. People are just a little bit hesitant to step out in a downtown that has been vacant for so long.”

After considering this development for months, Eggleston gathered support in January from a variety of financial and business leaders, including multifamily developer Leinbach Properties, Hilton Hotels, hotel financier American Liberty Hospitality, Miles Associates, Cooper Construction Estimating and D.P. Consultants. A PowerPoint presentation by Eggleston cited financial backing from a local development consortium and other team members.

“This is a local deal,” he said, explaining how he obtained financial commitments so rapidly. “This is not outside investors.”

Cheyenne Development, which Eggleston has a stake in, bought one of the two buildings on the targeted block, the two-story Tulsa Vision Builders site.

Eggleston said Concorde Development of Oklahoma, which owns the former Towerview apartment property, has pledged to participate in One Place or sell that building.

Both existing structures would be torn down for One Place.

Eggleston made his first presentation to the Tulsa Development Authority two weeks ago, offering several letters of support to verify his financial backing.

One Development proposed a $1.5 million purchase price for the TDA property, with the authority making the site shovel-ready before transferal.

Eggleston projects it will take One Development a year or more before workers may break ground. He projected construction would take two more years after that.

The design remains fluid, with Eggleston offering only general outlines of what One Place could offer. His PowerPoint touted a development with a 120-room hotel, 40-plus lofts, 15,000 square feet of office and retail space.

But as he discussed One Place, he mentioned how certain elements could change dramatically depending on market demand. With all the restaurant interest already drawn, he speculated Thursday that retail space could grow to 20,000 square feet or more.

“You can’t have a project until you own the land,” he said with a smile.

That’s where time factors in to Eggleston’s plan. Although construction inflation stabilized this year, Eggleston expects it to return with a fury, perhaps raising his budget $1 million annually.

“All of these things take a lot of time,” said Parker, vice president of retail for GBR Properties of Tulsa. “That two- to three-year time frame, while it takes long, is pretty realistic.”

While he understood the challenges seeking to arena customers, Parker suggested the consumer spending slowdown probably played a role in restaurant traffic concerns. With the ballpark coming online, he said downtown restaurants and retailers could garner more excitement.

Parker said the mix of residential, service retail and hospitality could make One Place a starting point for redeveloping the BOK Center district.

“If they can tie all that in, something like this could lead to something real finally getting done,” he said.

“Just the fact that someone can announce this, this year, in this economy, is pretty optimistic,” said Parker. “There’s not a lot of communities that could even try to pull off something like this right now.”

Stepping aside on this one

With her son-in-law involved in Cheyenne Development, Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor has formally notified the city of Tulsa city clerk of a potential conflict of interest with anything involving Cheyenne and the One Development proposal across the street from the BOK Center. Taylor said she would refer any issues involving the project to Amy Polonchek, her chief of staff.

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=98459)

bombermwc
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th project someone has tried to put together for this lot?

BG918
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Not only is one of at least 3 different proposals, it's basically the same one presented the first time. It will be interesting to see if it works out this time. Reminds me of the corner canal lot in Bricktown; amazing location, promising proposals, but still just a grass lot (in Tulsa's case a full block of surface parking).

TulsaRobert
09-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll see if I can find the article again, but I very recently read that this project was still in progress and working with TDA.

TulsaRobert
09-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20090906_46_E1_Thetra130102)

"A proposal to create a $38 million mixed-use concept called One Place would place a new hotel across the street from the BOK Center, residential units, retail space and entertainment venues.

One Place was announced in May by One Development, though the entity is still trying to acquire land for the project from Tulsa Development Authority.
"

metro
09-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I hope it works out for Tulsa. Also, cool to see the Mayo and Atlas Life being turned into hotels.

TulsaRobert
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Just wanted to give an update about this:

Tulsa downtown One Place project progressing (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20091016_11_0_hrimgs447975&rss_lnk=11)

TDA finally approved the project (they're notorious for dragging their feet at times!).

Urban Enthusiast
10-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Yay, I hope this project comes to fruition! It certainly is a much better use of that block than what is there now.

metro
10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Cool, would be nice to have some life breathed into downtown Tulsa.

TulsaRobert
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, for a long time, there was a "wait-and-see" attitude from investors and developers in downtown Tulsa that nearly killed it while people waited for someone to make a move. Hopefully, now that this project (along with the ballpark, the residential conversions, the activity in Blue Dome and Brady) are starting, it will provide enough assurance to existing investors in the area to begin moving towards actually doing something with their properties.

circuitboard
10-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Only 38 Million? I am little skeptical of the quality of this project, usually projects of this side including a hotel, usually get near 60-80 million.

circuitboard
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Only 38 Million? I am little skeptical of the quality of this project, usually projects of this side including a hotel, usually get near 60-80 million.

Wow, typo side=size

Oil Capital
10-17-2009, 05:28 AM

Yeah, I've been wondering a little about that price tag too.

Swake2
10-17-2009, 10:57 AM
The amount of the project is between $38 and $44 million, and the reason the cost isn't more is because this isn't a major convention center hotel, it's only going to be about a 200 room Hilton hotel.

I think the city is still wanting a larger hotel to be on the old city hall site connected to the convention center

Oil Capital
10-17-2009, 11:40 AM
The amount of the project is between $38 and $44 million, and the reason the cost isn't more is because this isn't a major convention center hotel, it's only going to be about a 200 room Hilton hotel.

I think the city is still wanting a larger hotel to be on the old city hall site connected to the convention center

Actually, 150 rooms. And it's a "Hilton urban hotel" whatever the hell that means. ;-)

ZYX2
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Bidding is underway for this project currently. No groundbreaking date has been released, but I assume no more than 3 months. http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100915_OnePlace0915.jpg

Dustin
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Very cool project! Good for Tulsa!

dmoor82
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Is there an OKC section in TulsaNow?I would love to post threads about development here in OKC in another city's forum!

USG'60
02-26-2011, 10:38 AM
It looks like a converted Fred Jones bldg.

ZYX2
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Is there an OKC section in TulsaNow?I would love to post threads about development here in OKC in another city's forum!

No, but there should be. You could probably post it in Other Discussion if you really wanted though.

dmoor82
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
^^I was just being an A$$,this is a great project for Tulsa and it would probably spur on more development in that area once completed!

Spartan
03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Actually, 150 rooms. And it's a "Hilton urban hotel" whatever the hell that means. ;-)

I believe it will be a Hilton Garden Inn.

ZYX2
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I believe it will be a Hilton Garden Inn.

When did you hear that?

Spartan
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
It's going to be a "120-room hotel." And Eggleston has said the Hilton brand. 1+1=2

BG918
03-04-2011, 12:35 PM
The Cimarex office tower will start site work next month. Flintco is the contractor (the same company that is building the Devon Tower, with Holder).

ZYX2
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
The Cimarex office tower will start site work next month. Flintco is the contractor (the same company that is building the Devon Tower, with Holder).

Interesting, I have not been able to find anything recent reguarding this project except for that bidding was underway. Thank you for posting that information.

Chautauqua
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
320,000 sq ft of office...maybe a hotel, no residences, some commercial.

ZYX2
03-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Seriously...????? Or are you just "predicting?" Eggleston seems like a good developer. Village on Main is coming along quickly now.

And to clarify, site work will not begin next month, but more likely early summer.

BG918
03-14-2011, 02:17 PM
The office tower is the first phase, followed by the hotel, and finally the mixed-use residential along Denver. There are property ownership issues complicating things from what I hear. That block is owned by several entities and not all are willing to sell..

ZYX2
04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
This development will be breaking ground next month. Northwestern Mutual Insurance has just announced that they will be a tenant in this project, adding another 40,000 square feet. The budget has also been bumped up to 100 million.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/company-announces-plans-to-move-into-new-downtown-tulsa-development

ljbab728
04-14-2011, 10:16 PM
This development will be breaking ground next month. Northwestern Mutual Insurance has just announced that they will be a tenant in this project, adding another 40,000 square feet. The budget has also been bumped up to 100 million.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/company-announces-plans-to-move-into-new-downtown-tulsa-development

40,000 square feet adds 60 million? Wow, that must really be some fancy 40,000 feet.

ZYX2
04-15-2011, 04:56 AM
The previous budget was 80 million. It was bumped up from 40 mil a long time ago.

ljbab728
04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
The previous budget was 80 million. It was bumped up from 40 mil a long time ago.

That's still a major increase when adding 40,000 square feet to a 320,000 square feet project.

918Town
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
That's still a major increase when adding 40,000 square feet to a 320,000 square feet project.

Not really MAJOR. It went from $250 a sq ft @ $80M/320K sq feet to $277 a sq ft @ $100M and 360K sq feet. Minor increase may be due to custom build out of class A office space, or who knows. But it doesn't seem major in any sense, the increase that is.

I hope the actual elevation looks bettter than the drawings. However, T-Town has been getting some pretty damn good quality developments lately. I'm sure they won't drop the ball right across from the BOK. Go big or go home. Isn't that what they say?

ZYX2
04-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, all their renderings have been very primitive. But they have a great architectural group that I'm sure will produce something great.

Architect2010
04-16-2011, 11:37 AM
This is such a good development for Downtown Tulsa. Werk.

BG918
04-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah, all their renderings have been very primitive. But they have a great architectural group that I'm sure will produce something great.

The architecture firm is Miles + Associates which is based in OKC. They also have offices in Tulsa, Dallas and Houston.

Chautauqua
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Seems the main building is getting larger. It has grown from 15 to 20 floors, according to some of the things I am hearing around town. Some of that may be parking deck.

Spartan
05-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, they did give a range of floors initially--I suspect they had a leasing agreement with Cimarex and then had success getting some other tenants as well.

Swake2
05-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Well, they did give a range of floors initially--I suspect they had a leasing agreement with Cimarex and then had success getting some other tenants as well.

Cimarex is now taking the entire building. There's a second office building that's going to house other office tenants in this project.

BG918
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Cimarex is growing fast both in Denver and Tulsa. They will occupy the entire tower at 2nd & Cheyenne and Northwestern Mutual will occupy the smaller building at 2nd & Denver. The corner of 3rd & Cheyenne will be a hotel, likely 8-10 stories tall, and the corner of 3rd & Denver (directly across from the BOK Center entrance) will be mixed-use residential with retail/restaurant space along Denver and 3rd. That is the current plan. The two office buildings will start construction this summer. Flintco is the contractor.

Spartan
05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Any ideas when latest renderings will come out?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110414_OnePlaceRendering0.jpg

This one shows 13 floors.

BG918
05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Any ideas when latest renderings will come out?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110414_OnePlaceRendering0.jpg

This one shows 13 floors.

That's the latest conceptual rendering for the Northwestern Mutual building, which will be built separately from the Cimarex tower to the east (same developer/contractor though). They are adding 6-7 stories of parking to the Cimarex tower so imagine that at 20 stories. Better renderings should be released soon; they are still working on the design. It's a design/build project with Flintco and Miles+Assoc. architects.

Spartan
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I have to say the design of the "tower" looks bad... like they're going for the hospital look.

BG918
05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
I have to say the design of the "tower" looks bad... like they're going for the hospital look.

It is Miles+Assoc. They have done some decent work (OU Children's Hospital is one of the better ones) but most of their designs are pretty lame. They are definitely no Pickard Chilton.

Spartan
05-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Well, some of their architects actually post on this board, but yeah they are a good hospital-design firm.

I like the NW Mutual building alright. I would have designed it much "lighter" but I think anyone would consider it a respectable, "safe" design. But I hate what looks like the one-story add-on (I imagine it's a walkway to the tower) along the street. Just reminds me of some really awkward Soviet govt buildings I've seen.

ZYX2
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
This project is breaking ground tomorrow! I haven't seen updated renderings but I assume they will be released soon.

ZYX2
06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
This project broke ground today, and is now officially under construction! I'll post renderings when I see them.

G.Walker
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Good deal, nice to see Tulsa's downtown getting some prime development, an 18 story tower across from BOK Center is nice.

Dustin
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Yay for Tulsa!!

G.Walker
06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Are you guys up in Tulsa going setup a One Place Tower Cam? :kicking:

ZYX2
06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Hopefully. It would be interesting to watch this rise from the ground. Although, the camera angle probably won't have to be adjusted as many times as the Devon Tower cam. :)

They still haven't released renderings, but that may take several weeks considering that there is still no definite height and/or number of stories. The first few seven floors or so ate parking garage so we may see that being built before we see renderings. At least, that's what BG918 says.