View Full Version : Instead of the best, how about the worst?

Pages : [1] 2 3

old okie
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
This food and restaurant site is positive and informative. I really enjoy reading here..........but I think "the worst" is also a good concept to post about restaurants. I also realize that there is always a subjective element to "rating" a restaurant...and trying it more than once may be necessary.

But want to have a little "fun" here? After where I just had lunch, I'm ready to start a "vote for the worst" in the OKC metro.

My vote? The Round-up in Del City! a 5-star "ugh" for everything there! DH loves the place; I've eaten there several times, but to me there is NOTHING to like about it.

I'll probably think of more but that one is on my mind right now. Anyone else like to add to the list?

And to the mods, if this is inappropriate here, feel free to move it.

OKCMallen
05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Some of the worst service I've ever had and hear4d from others is Victoria's in Norman...but the food is so good I continued to return and it eventually improved over time.

jawgie
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Fire Mountain, it was dirty and the service was terrible. The Dessert bar looked like a disaster.
It was my second and last trip there.

HSC-Sooner
05-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Fire Mountain, it was dirty and the service was terrible. The Dessert bar looked like a disaster.

Fire Mountain's gone now.

Jesseda
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
grannys had one in guthrie, by far the worst food, cold food, bad service, negative staff, gross all around

westsidesooner
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Fire Mountain's gone now.

I went there twice last year or the year before. The first time was bad, the second time was just weird. There were four of us the second time (two couples), and the waitress (if you can call her that) had the hots for the other guy at our table. She actually came up to the table mid-meal and approached the guy and told him she thought he was cute and wanted to get his number. You can only imagine how well this went over with his date. After she left us she was constantly standing nearby and whispering something to another waitress then they'd both look over at our table. We left early without finishing our meals it was so creepy. That restaurant was doomed by bad management and service from day one. Good riddance......I hope Ryans cleans the place up, anyone been since its been Ryans?

Another non-favorite is Grandys. I liked it the first year or two ( I have no idea why....cheap and fast lunch maybe). Now I'm always amazed that they are still in business. YUCK YUCK YUCK. I wouldnt go there if their food was free.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd get a straw and suck the junk out of the bottom of the fry vat at McDonald's rather than eat at an Arby's. That place is foul.

I had some of the worst service at The Warren a few weeks ago too. Food was good, but it shouldn't take an HOUR (after three requests) to get a side salad. Several other issues as well (including charging us $3.50 each for sodas in glasses smaller than what come with a Happy Meal...Seriously) That was bizarre, I've been there many times (always in the balcony) and usually have good service. I went today to see Wolverine and had good service. It was an anomaly I guess. But it stuck in my craw (obviously).

jstanthrnme
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Though no longer around, the worst experience I have had at a local resteraunt was Lotus in Bricktown. I was with a birthday party of about 8 I think. We ordered, and it took quite a while for the table to get their entrees, except for me. I never recieved my order, even after everyone else finished theirs. The icing on the cake was when the server offered me my bill...

so1rfan
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
The worst Mexican food I ever ate was in Harrah called Salsas. It was absolutely terrible. Tasted like canned food. And their salsa was terrible. They went out of business in less than a month.

The worst pizza I ever had was Mr. Gatti's. I hated their pizza.

True story about Grandy's, everytime we would eat there, my wife and I got into a fight about something stupid. About the third time it happened we decided to quit eating there.

One other place we will never go back to is the bricktown Chelino's. The last three times we went the food and service was terrible. And we brought out of town guests. Now we take them to the Chelino's on Sooner Road and then drive down to Bricktown for dessert.

But the nastiest place I have ever been to in my life was that Lucy's off of I-35 and 59th? (or was it 44th?). Found out later that it was one of the worse health code violators in the city.

Thunder
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I've been to Round-Up Pizza for many years growing up. In the past, alot, but now, not as much. The only thing that I dislike about the place is the limited amount of pizza and variety they have on the buffet. It's still a popular resturant and I always see the parking lot filled nicely.

I can't think of anything bad about Grandy's. I love eating there and the meals is always hot when its brought out. I just love the free rolls, just go up there and ask for more.

Pig Out Palace out on I-40 near Henryetta. The only thing that I dislike about that place is the expensive cost for a buffet. I guess they don't have much competition and it is by the highway. Outrageous prices!!!

mecarr
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Worst service I've ever had was at Bourbon Street Cafe in Bricktown...Hobbies Hoagies on 3rd and Walker also has slow service. It usually takes 10 minutes to make a sandwich turkey sandwich over there

metro
05-06-2009, 08:19 AM
This food and restaurant site is positive and informative. I really enjoy reading here..........but I think "the worst" is also a good concept to post about restaurants. I also realize that there is always a subjective element to "rating" a restaurant...and trying it more than once may be necessary.

But want to have a little "fun" here? After where I just had lunch, I'm ready to start a "vote for the worst" in the OKC metro.

My vote? The Round-up in Del City! a 5-star "ugh" for everything there! DH loves the place; I've eaten there several times, but to me there is NOTHING to like about it.

I'll probably think of more but that one is on my mind right now. Anyone else like to add to the list?

And to the mods, if this is inappropriate here, feel free to move it.

DH? Are you a Dave Ramsey follower? Nothing wrong with that, but that's the only place I see people us the "D" for Dear...(husband,wife,son, daughter)

metro
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Vito's on N. May

old okie
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
DH? Are you a Dave Ramsey follower? Nothing wrong with that, but that's the only place I see people us the "D" for Dear...(husband,wife,son, daughter)

Sorry I offended you. It's a very common reference on all the forums I visit. I'd be happy to go remove the reference, but I can't find the edit function for that post. It is never my intention to offend anyone.

And truthfully, I have absolutely no clue who "Dave Ramsey" is. Sorry.

metro
05-06-2009, 09:37 AM
You didn't "offend" me. That's just the only place I've seen it. No need to edit your post, just surprised as it is a Dave Ramsey thing. Since you don't know who he is, he's arguably the US #1 financial guru. I highly recommend his book Total Money Makeover, it will change your financial life!

okyeah
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Victoria's in Norman off University (in campus corner)...pasta is super salty, and the tomato sauce is def. from a can.

ImTheDude
05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Vito's on N. May

Was it the food or service? I had been wanting to eat there for a while now, maybe not now though.

OKCMallen
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Victoria's in Norman off University (in campus corner)...pasta is super salty, and the tomato sauce is def. from a can.

I have trouble believing the second accusation.

metro
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Was it the food or service? I had been wanting to eat there for a while now, maybe not now though.

Both. Food was average, but wayyyy overpriced for what it was. Service was severely lacking. Atmosphere reminded me of a craft mall or something. Quirky at best. Owner was sitting around chatting to a friend almost the entire time, even though there were only 3 tables of people when we were there. In an hours or so time, she didn't even stop by to say hi or check on us. It's about the same price as Bellini's but not near as good food, service or quality. Go to Bellini's.

ImTheDude
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

old okie
05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
You didn't "offend" me. That's just the only place I've seen it. No need to edit your post, just surprised as it is a Dave Ramsey thing. Since you don't know who he is, he's arguably the US #1 financial guru. I highly recommend his book Total Money Makeover, it will change your financial life!

Thank you for the information. It's good to be informed.

old okie
05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
One other place we will never go back to is the bricktown Chelino's. The last three times we went the food and service was terrible.

Totally agree! What turned us off was seeing the roaches crawling on the wall just above the table! Yuck! We like Chelino's...our fav is the one catty-cornered from Capitol Hill H.S.

venture
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM

From a can maybe...as in the tomatoes going from a can into a blender and dumped on pasta with no seasoning. Their sauce is extremely bland and just not enjoyable. Use to eat there quite a bit, but finally grew tired of the lack luster food.

nik4411
05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I will second thunder about Pig Out Palace, right off I-40 in Henryetta. For a place called Pig Out Palace, it's buffet is very weak. There just isn't much to it, very little variety at all. I have been disappointed every time , I guess I shouldn't get too high of hopes for a buffet in Henryetta haha.

OKCMallen
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
From a can maybe...as in the tomatoes going from a can into a blender and dumped on pasta with no seasoning. Their sauce is extremely bland and just not enjoyable. Use to eat there quite a bit, but finally grew tired of the lack luster food.

Wow...I'm surprised to hear two negative opinions on Vickie's in this thread. It's not "italian" food really, it's more of a pasta shop....but by about everyone I know that is familiar with Vickie's (went to OU, so that's plenty of people), it's a hands-down favorite. Interesting.

nik4411
05-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I have only heard good things about Vickie's here in Norman as well. But I myself have never dined there, so I guess I'll have to wait until I do that to pass judgment.

I got to stand up for Grandy's as well. Their restaurants are a little grimy and almost dirty feeling sometimes, but I still like their food. You can't beat all you can eat gizzards for under 5 bucks!

tuck
05-07-2009, 07:20 AM
This might be worst thread ever. Thats all I have to say about it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Why is that tuck? Is it how a few people's (anecdotal) experiences can have quite the impact when they get the right internet soap box to stand on?

And I've seen worse threads. They usually involve poop.

Steve
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
I think I understand what Tuck is saying. And in that spirit, I dare someone to start a thread on the "worst posters."
Enough said.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Oh don't tempt me.:sofa:

westsidesooner
05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I think I understand what Tuck is saying. And in that spirit, I dare someone to start a thread on the "worst posters."
Enough said.

That could get ugly real fast.

Just to clarify so I don't sound like I'm trying to run Grandys out of business. I use to love Grandys, its just that it gives me terrible heartburn, and I'm not really sure what kind of meat is in their chicken fried steak. I'll drive the extra miles to Chuck house form now on.

Steve
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree westside. I'm just trying to give a little insight into what I think Tuck is expressing... seems like on days like this (I'm noticing it in two different threads) there are a lot of rocks being thrown by people who live in glass houses.
On a sidenote, I'm not too worried about you offending anybody by questioning whether Grandy's qualifies as fine dining.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
That could get ugly real fast.

Just to clarify so I don't sound like I'm trying to run Grandys out of business. I use to love Grandys, its just that it gives me terrible heartburn, and I'm not really sure what kind of meat is in their chicken fried steak. I'll drive the extra miles to Chuck house form now on.

Screw that.

SHUT 'EM DOWN! THEY'RE BAD FOR CHICKEN'S RIGHTS!

OKCMallen
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Enough said.

I think discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of local restaurants is certainly within the purview of the board...and I further think starting a thread designed specifically to make people personally insult each other isn't.

I don't believe anything I read on the internet about restaurants 100%, and I don't think anyone else should either....just guidelines, really.

Steve
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree Mallen. Maybe it's just how things are today - it seems as if everything I'm reading today is negative, negative and I'm not in the mood. Guess I'll log off and return tomorrow.

OKCMallen
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Don't leave Steve- you're one of the only reasonable people on here! :)

FFLady
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Dynasty in Edmond. I don't like chinese buffets to begin with, but was "talked into" going there on New Years Day. Good thing I didn't have a hang-over - lol....that is some of the worst food I have ever eaten.....

HeatherDawn
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I went to Victoria's once on a date when I lived in Norman. The guy was raving about it and once we went, I didn't see what the big deal was. It was okay, I just didn't get why everyone loves it so much.

SavageDigital
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm going to go with a likely unpopular choice - "The Grateful Bean Cafe". I love the concept, the atmosphere, and the ice cream. However on both visits the food has been very bland and just ill prepared. The most recent trip involved their Buffalo Burger and "fries". The burger was perhaps the smallest I've eaten and overcooked. But the biggest problem was their attempt at "healthy" fries. they were essentially quartered potatoes that were undercooked, dry and flavorless.

Unless I want ice cream...probably my last visit (especially with McNellies and Irma's Burger shack across the street).

metro
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Savage, I agree about Grateful Bean's food. The food is bland. I do want this place to stick around another 100 years, so let's still all do our part to patronize it for the sodas and ice cream.

PennyQuilts
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I went to Victoria's once on a date when I lived in Norman. The guy was raving about it and once we went, I didn't see what the big deal was. It was okay, I just didn't get why everyone loves it so much.

So is the guy still around or did you not see what the big deal was about him, either? :LolLolLol

Okay, I'll admit, that was dumb. I'll go find something else to post about.

HeatherDawn
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
lol yeah, he's a goner

Steve
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I will strongly disagree with Metro and SavageDigital on the food being bland at the Grateful Bean (but I agree with Metro on the importance of supporting it). If you're looking for a healthy lunch, the Grateful Bean is excellent. I highly recommend the chips and salsa and the chicken quesadillas, and their breakfast items are very good as well.
And the homemade ice cream, while not "healthy," is incredible. Add in a wonderful atmosphere that often involves live music (eclectic as well), sitting in one of the city's oldest restaurants with incredible architecture, and providing people down on their luck a second chance on life.
Don't listen to the negative nellies. Give this place a shot.

SavageDigital
05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I will strongly disagree with Metro and SavageDigital on the food being bland at the Grateful Bean...Give this place a shot.

Since I can't recall eating an early dinner with you on some Wednesday, you didn't taste the food - so really you're not in a position to disagree. Now if you think the food there is healthy and seasoned correctly, then that's rightly stated. But you can't "strongly disagree" with someone's opinion of a meal you didn't have the misfortune of eating.

On my first trip we had their "black bean hummus" and it was cold tasteless mush in a bowl. However if you're willing to sacrifice taste, overlook improper preparation, and love getting your condiments 4 drops at a time - then follow Steve's strong advice and give it a shot (...or skip the meal and snag something that they do right - dessert).

Drake
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Since I can't recall eating an early dinner with you on some Wednesday, you didn't taste the food - so really you're not in a position to disagree. Now if you think the food there is healthy and seasoned correctly, then that's rightly stated. But you can't "strongly disagree" with someone's opinion of a meal you didn't have the misfortune of eating.

On my first trip we had their "black bean hummus" and it was cold tasteless mush in a bowl. However if you're willing to sacrifice taste, overlook improper preparation, and love getting your condiments 4 drops at a time - then follow Steve's strong advice and give it a shot (...or skip the meal and snag something that they do right - dessert).

Attitudes & posts like this are exactly the reason threads like this suck.

ronronnie1
05-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Ok, I'm sorry but I've always loved Grandys.

On topic: The McDonalds (shut up) down by Rescue City on Classen with the homeless begging for change in the drive thru, and the roaches scurring around on the tables... I'd rather eat at Rescue City.

OKCMallen
05-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Ok, I'm sorry but I've always loved Grandys.

On topic: The McDonalds (shut up) down by Rescue City on Classen with the homeless begging for change in the drive thru, and the roaches scurring around on the tables... I'd rather eat at Rescue City.

OK it finally hit me. Nothing wrong with the food or cleanliness, but the service at the McD's on NW23rd and Broadway is the pits. Multiple times I've gotten the wrong order, so I just stopped going.

kevinpate
05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
> Multiple times I've gotten the wrong order

Not unique to that MickyD, or even that chain. Whether the folks entering orders into the screens viewed by the prep folks canna type or whether the prep folks canna read, I don't know.

I've largely abandoned fast food places. There is simple too great a growth rate of the inability to handle any order more complext than a #2 and coke. But on the rare times I do use someone's drive through, I probably tick off folks behind me.

I don't drive foward now until I know I have the right order, and if not, I sit until it is replaced.

I used to be a good lad and permit myself to be herded over to the blue or green signs or some other designated trouble maker spot to wait. However, after being left to sit in the corner once while I was forgotten about, that just doesn't happen anymore.

I dinna mess up my order, so I'm not gonna be the one to sit in time out when someone else does. if there is time to get it right the seocnd time (sometimes the third, but that's a whole other rant), then there is time to make it right the first time.

Steve
05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Savage, I can disagree with you as to whether your experience or my experience best represents what people can expect at the Grateful Bean. And I'm doing just that.

SavageDigital
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Attitudes & posts like this are exactly the reason threads like this suck.

Do you believe that expressing your own self-serving indignation in lieu of a substantive contribution is somehow better than others direct opinions within the intended topic?

Savage, I can disagree with you as to whether your experience or my experience best represents what people can expect at the Grateful Bean. And I'm doing just that.

Absolutely you can attempt to convince people that the opinion of Metro and myself, who have eaten there on several occasions, doesn't represent their norm - only your experiences are the norm. But I'd be interested in a restaurateur like Tuck going for a meal at The Grateful Bean and see if he didn't think that they were squandering away a great concept and legacy with a poorly executed menu.

Martin
05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
calm down, people. it's a worst restaurant thread... who cares if somebody likes a restaurant you don't. back to topic.

-M

bandnerd
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I just had a random thought...I can't remember the last time I got a meal that wasn't exactly what I ordered. From anywhere, fast food or sit-down.

After guest car-hopping for the last two years as a fundraiser, I know now how crazy some people are when they order, at least at Sonic. One woman threw a fit, a crazy fit, at the drive-thru window over a blast. They were out of the tall lids, so they were putting regular lids on the blasts, and the girl did a little trick to mix them up, like a malt, to "get all the good stuff to the top," as she said. The woman saw her do this (after sending back the original blast back because there was a drip on the outside, I kid you not. She wanted a NEW one) and asked if the girl thought she was funny.

She drove away. I ate the blast. It was yummy, and all the "good stuff" was at the top.

But, like I said, I can't recall any recent past wrong orders. I've had some slow service at a few places, but nothing outrageous. Perhaps my standards are low. Perhaps I order things that are easy.

FFLady
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Not unique to that MickyD, or even that chain. Whether the folks entering orders into the screens viewed by the prep folks canna type or whether the prep folks canna read, I don't know.

I've largely abandoned fast food places. There is simple too great a growth rate of the inability to handle any order more complext than a #2 and coke. But on the rare times I do use someone's drive through, I probably tick off folks behind me.

I don't drive foward now until I know I have the right order, and if not, I sit until it is replaced.

I used to be a good lad and permit myself to be herded over to the blue or green signs or some other designated trouble maker spot to wait. However, after being left to sit in the corner once while I was forgotten about, that just doesn't happen anymore.

I dinna mess up my order, so I'm not gonna be the one to sit in time out when someone else does. if there is time to get it right the seocnd time (sometimes the third, but that's a whole other rant), then there is time to make it right the first time.

"Trouble-Maker spot".............: :LolLolLol

OKCMallen
05-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Not unique to that MickyD, or even that chain.

Oh you're definitely correct. That just shows how bad this particular one is to call it out...

Bostonfan
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Carl's Jr. in MWC has to be the worst. You don't even have to go in that place. Just drive by some afternoon. There will be at least 2 "workers" smoking it up right outside the door.

Was going to get a burger there, since I haven't eaten there in a long time, and found out really quick why it had been so long since I've been there.

fuzzytoad
05-12-2009, 09:58 AM

I've tried to abolish all fast-food/drive thru from my life for the same various reasons and because it's becoming more and more common for many of these companies to employ offshore talent for the drivethru order-taker, expecially McD's.. If I find a store doing this, I'll avoid it at all costs..

I wish I could 100% avoid all fastfood chains, but my work schedule/number of hours I work doesn't allow me to frequent many establishments that are open during "normal" hours, and very few places that aren't nationwide chains will deliver :(

HeatherDawn
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
The last "wrong" order I had was at the Rancher's Club in Stillwater (yes, I know, it's an OKC forum). My steak came out med well and I ordered med rare. What a pain.

DaveSkater
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Golden Coral. Uggh. I feel like a hog at the trough....
Cici's pizza at 23rd and Meridian..... I believe my I.Q. drops 20 points upon entering..... they do have some good mexican pizza tho.
Pizza Hut 23rd and meridian. FAIL
You couldn't drag me into any macdonalds or carls or taco b.
Last time I went to Cattlemen's Cafe, I couldn't get 20 feet away from a toilet for the rest of the day....(which is weird, they're usually awesome)
I almost died from Wendy's once.
Got a bad shrimp from Dot Wo once. Lost 10 lbs over that one.

heh..... KFC and Grandy's are horrible too. Dang you can almost taste the MSG in there.

GWB
05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Carl's Jr. in MWC has to be the worst. You don't even have to go in that place. Just drive by some afternoon. There will be at least 2 "workers" smoking it up right outside the door.

Was going to get a burger there, since I haven't eaten there in a long time, and found out really quick why it had been so long since I've been there.

Amazing! Something we agree on. :smile: I emailed the owner of that Carl's Jr several months ago to tell him how horrible the food and service was. I got a breakfast sandwich that tasted like it was left over from the day before. The attitudes of some of the people there are just downright awful. The owner responded to my email and apologized but nothing changed since I went back a couple of times more to give them another chance. I don't go there anymore.

trousers
05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Anyone ever eat at Punch & Janies? It was located behind the O'Rielly's on 23rd & Western. Janie actually referred to a a friend of mine as "Chubs" when she asked what he wanted to order.