View Full Version : Pitchmen 'As Seen on TV'

BBatesokc
05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
The wife and I recently added the new show Pitchmen to our DVR schedule.

Not that we don't get enough Billy Mays screaming at us as it is, but for some reason I find the show mildly entertaining.

It got us talking last night about as seen on TV products.

I was wondering if anyone here has succumbed and bought any of the myriad of devices sold in infomercials? And if so, do you have a favorite that really was worth the money?

I've actually never bought anything from an infomercial, but I have bought at least one infomercial item after it became available in stores.

We bought the tupperware type containers that come on the lazy susan with the lids in the center.

We liked it so much we tossed our other containers and bought a second set of these. We probably use them every day and even have given them as a housewarming gift.

My mom bought the PediPaws. Worked fine for her dogs, but mine flipped out and wouldn't let us come close to him with it.

My wife's mother loves infomercials and has bought everything from the chicken rotisserie to snuggies. They even bought those way overpriced three wheel scooter looking things.

Anyone else?

Midtowner
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Nope.

metro
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Haven't seen the show, but the preview makes the show look hilarious. I will have to check out the show online or on hulu.

Luke
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a snuggie, but its from walgreens.

I just recently watched set Pitchmen to record on our DVR as well. Watched one, and it was pretty good. The show I watched pitched a shark repellent and the Jupiter Jack, a hands free car stereo phone thing. I wonder if it works for the iPhone.

nik4411
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Haha, you have a snuggie?

MadMonk
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I've caught bits and pieces of that show. Looks pretty interesting, mainly for looking at how they put the shows together.

Years ago I bought a set of Miracle Blade knives. I still have and use them. The larger knives are decent for the most part, but the steak knives are crap.
Miracle Blade III : The Perfection Series (http://www.miracleblade.com/)

Luke
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM

It makes me feel like a Jedi Master.

metro
05-05-2009, 08:11 AM

Hilarious! I can just see Luke now in his snuggie :busterbun

nik4411
05-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Ha ha that is hilarious...

kevinpate
05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
May the fleece be with you

Luke
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
May the fleece be with you

Did you know yesterday was Star Wars Day? May the Fourth.

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU.

Seriously! Look it up.

centralparker
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I've never bought anything from an infomercial, but I do have a couple of the products. I picked up a PediPaws, and I like it. I have a pug that hates even having his feet touched, and he tolerates it much better than nail clippers. My dad presented me with a Topsy Turvy a couple weeks ago. I guess he thought since I have a vegetable garden, I would like it. I have plenty of space for my plants, but I went ahead and set it up since I figured he would be asking me about it. It is really heavy once you fill it up, and I was worried about it pulling loose from most of the spots I considered hanging it. It's doing alright so far though, and the only change I've noticed is the plant is trying to head in the other direction. :-)

I haven't watched the show yet. I meant to, but I keep forgetting. The commercial that showed the guy with the piece of material over his hand and hitting it with a hammer intrigued me. What the heck was that stuff?

Easy180
05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
My wife enjoys buying every $100 trendy exercise product known to man and challenging herself to use it at least twice before it grabs some dust in the garage

jstanthrnme
05-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I've never bought anything from an infomercial. I almost caved in for a Ron Popeils Pocket Fisherman...
A friend took a cut up piece of a ShamWow backpacking last month, and after seeing that thing in use, I'm going to buy one the next time I come across it.

nik4411
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Speaking of fishing, I have always seen the commercials for the banjo minnow and what one every time.

BradR
05-06-2009, 06:37 AM
We have the express GT cooker thing and it works pretty well
shamWoW is junk, just go get an absorber at Wal-Mart

BailJumper
05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I caught the show once. It was okay. I just couldn't get over the fact I had been suckered into watching what was basically a very long infomercial that he is getting paid even more money to be in. I use my DVR to avoid commercials, not record them.

metro
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I've never bought anything from an infomercial. I almost caved in for a Ron Popeils Pocket Fisherman...
A friend took a cut up piece of a ShamWow backpacking last month, and after seeing that thing in use, I'm going to buy one the next time I come across it.

Saw one at Target last night for $6. It was the Sham Wow brand. They are the same thing as the synthetic chamois that you can find in the auto section for about the same price too. From what I hear, the Sham Wow brand isn't as good. I love my synthetic chamois for drying my car, I won't let a regular chamois or towel touch my car, they both scratch paint, synthetic does not.

MadMonk
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Anyone seen the vid of Billy Mays ordering a meal at the drive thru? :Smiley145
VtYdDK1uTDI
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYdDK1uTDI)

BradR
05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Saw one at Target last night for $6. It was the Sham Wow brand. They are the same thing as the synthetic chamois that you can find in the auto section for about the same price too. From what I hear, the Sham Wow brand isn't as good. I love my synthetic chamois for drying my car, I won't let a regular chamois or towel touch my car, they both scratch paint, synthetic does not.

The shamWow looks and feels like a piece of felt. I prefer the absorber types of chamois which feel more like absorbent rubber. I picked a few up at Big Lots a few weeks ago for $4 each and they are 24"x24"

metro
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
That video is awesome. I'd love for someone to pay me to do stuff like that!

Luke
05-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Did anyone watch Pitchmen last night?

I want a vertical grill and don't know where to get one.