View Full Version : Pet Friendly Malls...

atlanta159
05-04-2009, 05:04 AM
I've been doing some research and pet friendly malls seem to be the coming thing. Personally, I'd really like to see that happen in OKC. My wife and I love walking with our little dog but when it rains, snows or is terribly windy, well, that sure sucks some of the fun out of it.

Yes, there would have to be cooperation from pet owners as far as taking care of accidents should they occur and there would need to be limits as far as size of the animals, etc. A mall would need a larger insurance policy but more traffic, increased sales figures and better % of occupancy could cover that.

I'm sure there are restrictions about how near animals could come to the food court areas but they could be roped off with reminder signs.

You break the rules and you and your pet would be banned from coming back. PERIOD! Maybe certain pet-friendly hours to start and give it a trial period of say 3-6 months to see how well (or not) it works.

Think of the possiblities for types of store situated there, all in one place...a dog bakery, pet boutiques (many people like to buy different outfits for their little foo-foo dogs, no kidding!), pet store, a place to hold pet birthday parties (another coming thing, just look it up), dog training facility, a veterinarian's office, and maybe even a pet psychic - lol. Other types of stores could be located there too and if a store didn't want to accept pets, just hang that sign up at the entrance to your store. Pet friendly merchants might want to have watering bowls with fresh water at all times and maybe give treats to the little four legged shoppers.

If you research this subject on the internet, you'd see that it's already happening in other areas of the U.S. Perhaps it's a chance for OK to be a leader instead of coming in dead last.

Okay, this is a wild hair (or should I say "hare") :bright_id but I'm curious as to what you all think.

Ray

kevinpate
05-04-2009, 06:59 AM
... You break the rules and you and your pet would be banned from coming back. PERIOD! Ray

I just had this mental image of walking into a mall and on the right wall there are pictures lined up under Big Silver Letters -
10 MOST NOT :welcome5: POOCHES

ultimatesooner
05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I think it would suck and would cause me to never go to a mall that allowed it. people traffic is bad enough in the malls, I don't want to have to avoid dog leashes as well

Nermel
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd rather be in a mall with dogs, compared to one that has a bunch of teenagers.

Luke
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Ew, imagine the smell!

okyeah
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
there used to be the Pet Shop Cafe/Java Dave's at I-35 & Robinson (by passionberri). and that concept failed...I don't even think they lasted a year. I think they had a doggy bakery (and other types or organic dog food) and bowls of water out for the dogs. then on the other side you could get Java Dave's coffee, but dogs weren't allowed on the cafe side.

tburn
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure I want to take my dog to the mall when I'm trying to shop ... but I would love for OKC to have more dog-friendly places! Dog parks are not an option for me ... I don't trust other owners to mind their bullies! (not the breed - the manners!)

dismayed
05-06-2009, 12:21 AM
there used to be the Pet Shop Cafe/Java Dave's at I-35 & Robinson (by passionberri). and that concept failed...I don't even think they lasted a year. I think they had a doggy bakery (and other types or organic dog food) and bowls of water out for the dogs. then on the other side you could get Java Dave's coffee, but dogs weren't allowed on the cafe side.

The owners said that the Pet Cafe was very profitable, but that Java Daves constantly ran at a loss and that's what did them in.

It was a very cool concept.

soonergirl
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm a dog-lover, but I've gotta say that this concept makes me cringe.

Thunder
05-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Isn't it enough to have them inside PetSmart and PetCo? They got the freedom to shop there. We don't need them inside malls and other stores.

PennyQuilts
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I think it would suck and would cause me to never go to a mall that allowed it. people traffic is bad enough in the malls, I don't want to have to avoid dog leashes as well

The dog leashes might be the least of your problems to avoid.

I'd never get any shopping done because I'd be playing with the hounds.

BailJumper
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Personally, I think that is a terrible idea on so many levels. Imagine all the pit bulls that would be taken into Crossroads. Even if they banned vicious dogs, it would be a nightmare of poop, pee, etc.

fuzzytoad
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
it also sounds like it would be a liability insurance nightmare for the owners of the mall.

DaveSkater
05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
My dog doesn't shop.....

bombermwc
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
No way. You let pets in a mall and I'm not going there. There are too many people already and we're talking about adding small bodies that get stepped on, piss/poop on the floor, or bite if they get angry. It's too much of a liability and pain in the neck. I would bet that even if the mall let them in, (which they won't) that not all stores will accept them. Some dog comes in with an upset tummy, and the store is left with a smell in their carpet forever.

tburn
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Personally, I think that is a terrible idea on so many levels. Imagine all the pit bulls that would be taken into Crossroads. Even if they banned vicious dogs, it would be a nightmare of poop, pee, etc.

un. believeable.
good thing Crossroads is closing.

soonergal
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
i think it would suck and would cause me to never go to a mall that allowed it
+1