View Full Version : Braum's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27

kukblue1
08-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Planning a new location on the SE corner of I-40 and Morgan Road; presently home to a restaurant.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsmorgan.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsmorgan2.jpg

???????? WHY? There is already one at Council and i-40. Also one at I-40 and Mustang Road. Also one at Garth Brooks. and I-40 This would make zero sense. ???????????

kukblue1
08-31-2019, 02:25 PM
Heard they are thinking of remodeling the Council Rd - I40 store also

Snowman
09-01-2019, 10:19 AM
???????? WHY? There is already one at Council and i-40. Also one at I-40 and Mustang Road. Also one at Garth Brooks. and I-40 This would make zero sense. ???????????

It seems like the truck stops are considered a separate market by the fast food restaurants

kukblue1
09-01-2019, 11:19 AM
It seems like the truck stops are considered a separate market by the fast food restaurants

It does kind of make sense from that stand point. Also is going to be more visible from the highway compared to Council Road and Mustang Road. This one will be easier for travelers as it will be much easier on and off the highway. Council I would not consider easy on easy off same for Mustang Road. I just think you build here tear down the council road location. I know Mcdonalds has one on every street on I-40 but that's Mcdonalds.

Ward
09-01-2019, 08:21 PM
And Truckers and RV’ers who are familiar with Braums will be able to pop in and get some groceries for their refrigerators.

Wishbone
09-04-2019, 04:23 PM
I live at SW 29th and Morgan road and there are a bunch of neighborhoods over here. We are right in the middle of the Mustang Braums, the I40 and Mustang rd Braums, and the I40 and Council Braums where are all are a bit of a drive for milk so this location will be very nice.

floyd the barber
09-27-2019, 06:44 PM
I read on the news that a Braum's in Del City was robbed and the manager was pistol whipped. They are offering a measly 2k reward for information leading to the arrest of the robber.

Now first and foremost I hope the employees involved are ok. I cannot imagine having a gun pointed at me and, god willing, I hope I am never in that situation.

But only 2k? I don't know. This company has always given me the reputation that it is run by cheap management. I worked there for two weeks, and I can tell you that the wages are pretty bad and the employees attitudes reflect that. This 2k reward only amplifies my beliefs.

Yes I understand that labor is disposable. I imagine they are more concerned about the money than the wellbeing of the employees, but this may be the smallest reward I have ever seen for this crime.

With that being said I hope they catch the guy.

floyd the barber
09-27-2019, 06:45 PM
I read on the news that a Braum's in Del City was robbed and the manager was pistol whipped. They are offering a measly 2k reward for information leading to the arrest of the robber.

Now first and foremost I hope the employees involved are ok. I cannot imagine having a gun pointed at me and, god willing, I hope I am never in that situation.

But only 2k? I don't know. This company has always given me the reputation that it is run by cheap management. I worked there for two weeks, and I can tell you that the wages are pretty bad and the employees attitudes reflect that. This 2k reward only amplifies my beliefs.

Yes I understand that labor is disposable. I imagine they are more concerned about the money than the wellbeing of the employees, but this may be the smallest reward I have ever seen for this crime.

With that being said I hope they catch the guy.

Dob Hooligan
09-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Seems to me that a two thousand dollar reward is not overly cheap. I can’t really recall how many places offer any reward after a robbery.

MagzOK
09-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Yeah I was going to mention that I can't say I've ever heard of a restaurant offering any money. Not that I'm batting for Braum's here.

bombermwc
10-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Happen to know which one it was?

Different company, but i'm sure most say the same thing. My retail experience training was if someone comes to rob you, give them what they want and dont ask questions. The company is insured and your life and safety isn't worth it. I'm not saying the employee did something wrong...i wasn't there...but what would cause it to escalate to that if you're forking the money over?

Jim Kyle
10-02-2019, 08:12 AM
what would cause it to escalate to that if you're forking the money over?Sometimes a perp simply wants to be violent and needs no escalation, just an opportunity. The hidden-camera clips shown on TV seem to indicate this might have been such a situation.

chuck5815
10-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Can't believe someone would be stupid enough to rob a burger stand, especially these days when the vast majority of transactions are made with credit cards. There was probably less than $2k cash in the store.

With all of that said, I just wanted to mention that Braum's is absolutely delicious, and I'm always pleasantly surprised to see that they are keeping the quality high and the prices low.

RadicalModerate
10-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Would it be unfair to suggest that Suburban Improvements, powered by forces such as The Gazette, led to the recent demise of Johnnie's Burgers Number Two, on Britton Rd? And where is that Promised Braum's where the Blockbuster Video Outlet used to be? Will ND Foods (and art museum be next?) Stay tuned for further developments regarding Hipster Sprawl . . . Or, say nope to dope.

Johnb911
10-03-2019, 09:42 AM
I seem to recall that the Johnnie's on Britton is closed for remodeling and will reopen.

Dob Hooligan
10-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Would it be unfair to suggest that Suburban Improvements, powered by forces such as The Gazette, led to the recent demise of Johnnie's Burgers Number Two, on Britton Rd? And where is that Promised Braum's where the Blockbuster Video Outlet used to be? Will ND Foods (and art museum be next?) Stay tuned for further developments regarding Hipster Sprawl . . . Or, say nope to dope.

Johnnie's is closed for remodeling. I think the Britton Road construction late phases will make it much harder to reach them that it was for businesses on the north side of the street. I hear they are going to add alcohol service.

Braum's is still on.

Rover
10-06-2019, 10:54 AM
As for the Braums, they have been clearing the building so they can demolish and Re-build.

Street improvements on Britton and on Penn have wreaked havoc on businesses in the area and slowed all kinds of activity.

kukblue1
10-10-2019, 02:57 PM
I guess some stores are handing out fliers saying calling ahead to place your grocery order and have it ready for pick up. Anyone know what stores are doing this? Good luck having someone pick up the phone.

Pete
10-10-2019, 05:15 PM
I guess some stores are handing out fliers saying calling ahead to place your grocery order and have it ready for pick up. Anyone know what stores are doing this? Good luck having someone pick up the phone.

Or finding someone who can find your order, etc.

It's hard to find someone to check you out even when you are actually in the store.

BBatesokc
10-23-2019, 04:19 PM
10/23/2019 LA TIMES: 'Braum’s is the best burger joint. You’ll wish you were here (https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-10-23/braums-oklahoma-burgers-ice-cream?fbclid=IwAR0sQJb8Qls0iqiMOe5d7afiGOtC620Zq08 u6IuiiIth1zdAwJawf2K1PzU)'

*He must have eaten at a different Braums than I go to..... (just saying)

jonny d
10-23-2019, 04:27 PM
I just don't understand the hate this board seems to have for Braums. I have never had a bad meal there, which is more than I can say for most fast food places (CFA and Whataburger are the exceptions). Never had my order gotten wrong (which happens EVERYWHERE, not just Braums). It is a place that is pretty darn consistent. As an auditor, I have traveled from Beaver to Idabel. Braums tasted good in both places. Not saying it is the best in the world, but it seems like they get crapped on a lot.

Great to see them get some recognition nationally!

Pete
10-23-2019, 04:47 PM
I love Braum's and missed it badly all those years in Cali.

The issue is their stores are not very clean, the one nearest me is very dated and they have management issues.

But people still flock so clearly they are doing a lot of things right. I'm very glad to have access.

jonny d
10-23-2019, 05:19 PM
I love Braum's and missed it badly all those years in Cali.

The issue is their stores are not very clean, the one nearest me is very dated and they have management issues.

But people still flock so clearly they are doing a lot of things right. I'm very glad to have access.

Oh, I wasn't bashing anyone. I am sure I have had a bad experience somewhere where others have not. Just seemed for a while every post was about what Braums does wrong.

Was not meaning to seem rude.

BBatesokc
10-23-2019, 06:56 PM
They've changed something..... The meat? The buns? Something. Burger hasn't tasted 'like they used to' in years IMO.

chuck5815
10-23-2019, 07:03 PM
They've changed something..... The meat? The buns? Something. Burger hasn't tasted 'like they used to' in years IMO.

not sure i agree. It is delicious every time, especially the Edmond locations.

Plutonic Panda
10-24-2019, 04:21 AM
Yeah I can’t believe how good their burgers were when I first tried them. I’d say they are on par or better than in-n-out when they’re done right. Only problem is consistency.

Every friend I’ve taken there who hasn’t been loved it. Their milk is amazing as well.

BBatesokc
10-24-2019, 04:23 AM

I don't expect anyone to agree (or disagree)... but other comments here and reviews elsewhere show lots of people love Braums and lots of people don’t care for it. No different than any other restaurant. What I don’t get is people who are shocked other’s tastes don’t conform with their own. Not directed at you. But others literally seem surprised anyone would dare question their opinion of what I consider just a run of the mill fast food burger place. that said, I’ve been known to drive an hour to go to a favorite burger spot when people in that area don’t consider it all that unique.

SEMIweather
10-24-2019, 06:12 AM
The problem I have with Braum's is that a lot of their stores are really dated, and generally feel like stepping into the most depressing parts of 70s-era America.

Coming from the Midwest, it also feels like Culver's just puts out a better, more consistent product.

Also...the attempt to tear down Classen Circle was, and still is, absolute garbage.

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-24-2019, 08:17 AM
The problem I have with Braum's is that a lot of their stores are really dated, and generally feel like stepping into the most depressing parts of 70s-era America.

Coming from the Midwest, it also feels like Culver's just puts out a better, more consistent product.

Also...the attempt to tear down Classen Circle was, and still is, absolute garbage.

Culver's is 10x the burger that Braum's and Johnnie's is. Also Wisconsin cheese curds, so delicious.

MikeLucky
10-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Gotta say I have never been overly impressed with Culver's burgers. lol. They always seem like the boiled patty burgers we used to get from the school cafeteria. Definitely not better than Braum's, in my opinion. Again, to each their own.

I like Braum's. Yes, their service is always hit or miss. Some of the locations aren't as tidy as they should be, at times. But, like others have said I do typically get a very good burger when I get one from Braum's. All, I know is if my hands and my immediate area don't smell like onions afterwards, then I'll be disappointed, but having the Braum's buger always does that. Maybe the folks that don't llike Braum's don't like onions? Just a wacky theory. lol

Dustin
10-24-2019, 08:55 AM

The one on May and Hefner is awful. The manager there just doesn't seem to care and it's been that way for a while... I've stopped going. I don't have a problem at any other location.

Pete
10-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Believe it or not, the food and service has been consistently good at the 39th & Penn location.

Just so, so dated inside and usually not as clean as it should be.

TheirTheir
10-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Fancy Johnnie's failed in Deep Deuce, but I would champion a fancy Braums in Uptown wholeheartedly.

HangryHippo
10-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Fancy Johnnie's failed in Deep Deuce, but I would champion a fancy Braums in Uptown wholeheartedly.
You and me both. Hell, a Braum's in Midtown or Bricktown would kill it!

Pete
10-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Closer to downtown with a Fresh Market would bring a small grocery store, too.

I know they have been approached but thus far, no interest.

HangryHippo
10-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Closer to downtown with a Fresh Market would bring a small grocery store, too.

I know they have been approached but thus far, no interest.
Their management seems pretty inept, so that's not surprising to hear.

Pete
10-24-2019, 09:28 AM
The location at 17th and Classen could use the Homeland treatment. Very small with an odd layout and extremely dated.

I used to shop there when I lived in SoSA and it was not a good experience.

chuck5815
10-24-2019, 10:13 AM
The location at 17th and Classen could use the Homeland treatment. Very small with an odd layout and extremely dated.

I used to shop there when I lived in SoSA and it was not a good experience.

There's a decent number of Buyers for those high-end Condos who won't buy until it receives the Homeland Treatment and Slick Rick Dowell cleans up the **** hole across the street.

corwin1968
10-24-2019, 10:14 AM

I couldn't agree more. Braums burgers back in the late 70's and into the 80's were fantastic but the last few I've eaten had too much lettuce and not enough of that red sauce, which is delicious but they act like it costs it's weight in gold.

Joe Kimball
10-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Back on May 1, 2017 or thereabouts, they abruptly and without warning switched to a 1/4 pound patty of a seemingly different consistency and of a definite difference in weight from the usual 1/3 pound patty that was their stock-in-trade for years. A shake was henceforth included in the price of a combo, with the substitution of a soft drink not given a discount from the default cost. Also, said shake's recipe was changed from a constituency of milk, syrup, and ice cream to that of simply a "shake milk" and ice cream, with extra syrup additionally charged. In my opinion, there was a period of a couple of weeks or so where customers would be granted a shake made in the old way while the trickle-down message from corporate to "STOP DOING THAT" took hold across the various locations.

As an "old guard" with the way they used to do things, I can agree with the headline of the article with my memories in mind. Change happens and prices increase, but this was such an about-face on so many levels, which left such an impression based on my previous twice-a-week-or-more visits that it simply wasn't the same for me, and I stopped going. Obviously, a lot of people appreciate or are oblivious to the changes, which include a different cookie recipe, I understand, as well as a stingy attitude towards to-go packaging (in my experience; that is, no lids or bags unless absolutely requested, and then the employees don't know where a domed lid is, for example) and an adherence to charging for every little extra (i.e., 25 cents for a spoonful of sprinkles on a yogurt).

I don't expect more than fifty percent agreement on anything, and there's no hate as such. But there's too many restaurants to settle, in my opinion. I'm just sorry that it happened to a local place that was such a part of my life.

Joe Kimball
10-24-2019, 10:49 AM
The one on May and Hefner is awful. The manager there just doesn't seem to care and it's been that way for a while... I've stopped going. I don't have a problem at any other location.

I will say that I reported a food-mishandling issue at that location to the corporate office, and it was handled with frightening expediency. That is, the district manager called me a few hours later, saying that they rolled tape and handled the situation that evening. It was an issue of employees wiping sweat off of their faces with the palms of their bare hands and then directly serving ice cream, which I stepped out of line and left over.

kukblue1
10-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Just seem to be that their stores are always under staffed. I have waited close to 10 minutes several times for just a combo meal. Also when I go in for groceries I'm always waiting for someone to ring me up. I'll looking over and there be like only 4 people working their butts off..

Anonymous.
10-24-2019, 11:03 AM
I know several families that shop all of their dairy products at Braums and shop other groceries at big retail. I suspect this is one of the reasons Braums gets away with sub-par stores and staff, they have a weird local following. It may not be worth noting, but these families all reside in Edmond. I have a hunch that there is many people who are similar.

Pete
10-24-2019, 11:04 AM
I know plenty of people who will only buy their dairy from Braum's.

TheTravellers
10-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Their milk takes forever to go bad once opened (and it tastes better), due to their process, which is apparently different from most others. However, I just won't go into a Braum's due to the ridiculous understaffing, which invariably makes the grocery checkout line suffer the most, we don't eat ice cream out, and there are far better burgers around. The last straw for us was the Classen Circle BS they tried to get away with.

MikeLucky
10-24-2019, 01:18 PM
I believe they "concentrate" the milk which is why it tastes better than any other milk. That's the story I've been told. Especially their skim milk which is way better than any other cloudy water skim milk you get anywhere else.

TheTravellers
10-24-2019, 02:13 PM
I believe they "concentrate" the milk which is why it tastes better than any other milk. That's the story I've been told. Especially their skim milk which is way better than any other cloudy water skim milk you get anywhere else.

Yep, agree, I think they even had some kind of display showing what procedure they do that others don't. Grew up on Braum's skim, which was decent, then drank other skim and it was horrible. Braum's 2% is about as good as others' whole milk.

rezman
10-25-2019, 08:42 AM
We enjoy Braum's milk, and is usually all we ever buy. It's fuller bodied and just tastes better. And it lasts farther beyond the due date. Their shakes on the other hand have gone down hill and their cookies, which used to be good, are now horrible.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Just bought some of their "seasonal" pumpkin bread. Dry, dry, dry. Going into the bin. People like the skim milk because the sugar content is higher than traditional skim. 18g versus 12g

TheTravellers
10-25-2019, 11:03 AM
...Going into the bin. People like the skim milk because the sugar content is higher than traditional skim. 18g versus 12g

And it's not see-through light blue like most others. :)

oklip955
10-26-2019, 08:40 AM
I guess I am surprised by how many people like their milk. I am not a fan. I drink Kalona brand. (Sprouts, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers). Its non homogenized and low temp pasteurization. Also it organic. Much richer milk since the farmers (Amish, Mennonite) use a mix of cows not just factory Holsteins. There other products are real good also. I guess I am spoiled after drinking their milk.

TheTravellers
10-26-2019, 12:36 PM
I guess I am surprised by how many people like their milk. I am not a fan. I drink Kalona brand. (Sprouts, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers). Its non homogenized and low temp pasteurization. Also it organic. Much richer milk since the farmers (Amish, Mennonite) use a mix of cows not just factory Holsteins. There other products are real good also. I guess I am spoiled after drinking their milk.

The kind of milk you drink is always going to be better than Hiland, Best Choice, Braum's, whoever. Pretty sure all the comparisons between Braum's and other milk is the other milk is just your standard supermarket milk, not organic, low temp, grass fed, massaged cows-type of milk. :)

Joe Kimball
10-26-2019, 10:40 PM
People like the skim milk because the sugar content is higher than traditional skim. 18g versus 12g

Never considered the sugar content. Is the rest of the milk similarly loaded?

mkjeeves
10-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Never considered the sugar content. Is the rest of the milk similarly loaded?

Made me look...

We naturally fortify and condense the milk by removing part of the milk’s natural water during processing. This increases the milk’s nutrient levels dramatically – by up to 50%.

https://www.braums.com/milk-process/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGpEcO2sR0

pw405
10-27-2019, 09:01 AM
For what it's worth, the Braums on 39th and Tulsa recently appears to have undergone some changes to make service better. First thing I noticed (as of a few months ago) was that the clarity of their drive through speaker & mic is now AMAZING. Seriously, I've never once in my life used a drive through with such good sound quality. Around this time I also noticed the crispy chicken sandwich was ready way faster than usual. Perhaps it is just a one-store thing, but this Braums seems to be making an effort to improve customer service experience.

Pete
10-30-2019, 06:22 AM
L.A. Times: Braum's is the best burger joint. You'll wish you were here

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-10-23/braums-oklahoma-burgers-ice-cream

TheTravellers
10-30-2019, 08:19 AM
L.A. Times: Braum's is the best burger joint. You'll wish you were here

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-10-23/braums-oklahoma-burgers-ice-cream

They really need to try some of the, oh, at least a dozen other burger joints that are leagues better than Braum's. I'd really love to see a story from them if they came back now, to see how their beloved Braum's has fared since 2015, bet it won't be as rosy.

AP
10-30-2019, 08:33 AM
I mean. I still love Braum's. It was one of the first places I went to when I moved back a couple of months ago. People on this board love to bitch and moan about everything. In reality, it's still a good place to get a burger and shake. I'll probably get lunch there today.

BoulderSooner
10-30-2019, 10:30 AM
braums is still great and hard to beat

TheTravellers
10-30-2019, 10:34 AM
braums is still great and hard to beat

If they're being compared to McD's, Burger King, JITB, Whataburger, etc., then maybe.

Realized I've been comparing apples (fast-food burgers like Braum's) to oranges (actual good burgers like Patty Wagon's).