View Full Version : President Clinton named to OKC National Memorial National Board of Trustees

ssandedoc
05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
http://newsok.com/bill-clinton-speaks-at-oklahoma-city-bombing-memorial/article/3366355?custom_click=lead_story_title

Bill Clinton speaks at Oklahoma City bombing memorial
Comments Comment on this article7
Buzz up!
BY MATT DINGER
Published: May 2, 2009

Former President Bill Clinton toured the Oklahoma City National Bombing Memorial & Museum on Saturday, where he was named to a new Honorary National Board of Trustees and given an award.

Former President Bill Clinton speaks to a crowd at the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, Saturday, May 2, 2009, in Oklahoma City. Clinton was named on the Memorial's Honorary National Board of Trustees. (AP Photo/The Oklahoman, Sarah Phipps)

Clinton spoke to a crowd of about 250 people, including trustees, committee members and donors. Former Oklahoma governors George Nigh, Frank Keating and David Walters were also in attendance, as were rescue workers and bombing survivors.

“My life has been indelibly marked by the people I met here and the stories they told me. I came here, more than anything else, to say thank you,” Clinton said. “I'm telling you, this memorial, this museum ... is still affecting the world in ways that you wouldn't imagine.”

Before his speech, Clinton took a private tour of the museum and was honored with the Beacon of Hope for his continued support of the memorial during and after his tenure as president. The award is made of wood trimmed from a branch of the Survivor Tree and placed on a base of granite salvaged from the rubble of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, which was bombed on April 19, 1995, killing 168.

Clinton said the bombing provided an impetus for Congress to push forward legislation he endorsed to strengthen laws aimed at preventing and countering terrorist attacks.

“Between 1995 and the day I left office, several very serious terrorist attacks were thwarted,” he said. “Your country owes you a lot, and I thank you.”

The new honorary trustees will work with the staff and board of the memorial to further the memorial's mission of remembrance and education on a national level, said Bill Scheihing, chairman of the Oklahoma National Memorial Foundation.

“President Clinton has a deep and personal history with this event,” Scheihing said, “and his presence on the national board will provide both historic perspective and the committed passion of someone who bore witness to both the tragedy and to the hope this place represents for future generations.”

Scheihing said the national board also will help fundraising efforts for the memorial, which is privately owned and operated and receives no annual operating funds from the federal, state or local government.

Kari Watkins, executive director of the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, said that more trustee members will be named in the future. She said trustees bring diverse experience that will help keep the lessons of the bombing relevant for years to come.

“They see the world on a different level, and we just want to pick their brains and use their experiences and contacts to keep this on a national and international stage,” Watkins said.

Bud Welch, who lost his daughter, Julie Welch, in the bombing, was one of a group who traveled to visit Clinton during his presidency to show him designs for the memorial and seek funding. Julie Welch, who was 23, was a Spanish interpreter for the Social Security Administration.

Welch was on the memorial's board of directors until three months ago. He said board members wanted to create a national board with people such as Clinton to raise awareness about the memorial.

"President Clinton has been so good to us,” Welch said.

Other honorary board members named include former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, the Rev. Billy Graham, Keating and his wife Cathy, and Lee Woodruff, wife of journalist Bob Woodruff, who was seriously injured by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2006.

Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum – Official Website (http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/secondary.php?section=15&catid=191&id=391)

Former President Clinton Joins Memorial's New Honorary National Board of Trustees

May 02, 2009

Former President Bill Clinton will join other prominent figures from around the country on an honorary National Board of Trustees for the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum. The announcement was made at a special presentation at the Memorial Museum honoring Clinton for his support. The former President also toured the Memorial Museum for the first time. This was President Clinton's fifth visit to the site.

"Oklahoma City changed the world in ways we can never fully appreciate. The work (the Memorial) is doing today is just as important as the day it started," President Clinton told a crowd of Memorial trustees, donors, family members, survivors and rescue workers. "I don't think you can possibly imagine the gift you gave us. We are far more likely now to realize we are all much more alike than different. We go forward together."

The Honorary National Board of Trustees will work with the Memorial’s own board and Memorial staff to further the Memorial’s mission of remembrance and education on a national level.

“President Clinton has a deep and personal history with this event, and his presence on the national board will provide both historic perspective and the committed passion of someone who bore witness to both the tragedy and to the hope this place represents for future generations,” said Bill Scheihing, Oklahoma City National Memorial Foundation Chairman.

Joining President Clinton on the Memorial’s Honorary National Board of Trustees are former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge; Rev. Billy Graham, who led the inspirational and healing National Prayer Service on April 23, 1995; Gov. Frank and Cathy Keating, whose leadership at the time of the bombing showed the nation what Oklahomans are made of, and Lee Woodruff, author and Family/Life Contributor to Good Morning America, whose own journey as a family member of someone critically injured in a bombing incident gives her unique perspective.

President Clinton was also given a Beacon of Hope Award for the “extraordinary support” he has given the Memorial. The piece is made of wood turned from a branch trimmed from the Survivor Tree last spring, placed on a base of granite salvaged from the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. Oklahoma woodworking artist and program director at the Forest Heritage Center of Oklahoma Doug Zook crafted the piece.

I am so excited! This is so great for the Memorial and our city.

mecarr
05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
He gave a very heartwarming speech. The memorial\museum seemed to have genuinely touched him.

metro
05-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Great international exposure for OKC.