View Full Version : In front of Home Depot on S Shields

Charlie40
04-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Does anyone know what is being built along Shields in front of Home Depot Between Valero and the Oil change place??

so1rfan
04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
If it's in fornt of a Home Depot than it's probably a Chili's.

(just kidding, nearly every Home Depot across the Southwest has a Chili's in front of it.)

Charlie40
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
I am still looking for an answer.

megax11
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Who knows honestly.

What bugs me though, is the plaza where Furr's used to be. Now it is just another plaza, with one-two businesses, and gets more run down by the day.

We lost another business to Moore, with no Furrs now on southside. That helps Moore flourish, while we get to drag our feet in the dirt.

Charlie40
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Who knows honestly.

What bugs me though, is the plaza where Furr's used to be. Now it is just another plaza, with one-two businesses, and gets more run down by the day.

We lost another business to Moore, with no Furrs now on southside. That helps Moore flourish, while we get to drag our feet in the dirt.

Well that shopping ctr is pretty old and rundown might be best to just finish tearing it down and rebuild something newer on that area. the corner where the movie theatre was is already gutted out it is mis matched like it is. I say tear it down and build a new shields plaza there.

oneforone
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Unless the closed it with in the last few weeks... The Furr's is still open.

Martin
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
^
the furr's cafeteria in south shields plaza has been closed since mid march.

-M

Charlie40
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
The think I most remember about that shopping ctr was the Woolco where Burlington is now and the Bonaza that used to sit where the old circuit city sits out by the service road

Martin
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
let's see...
that was woolco
brannum's
trade mart
venture
big k
and now burlington

then there was bonanza
goldie's
black eyed pea (not the chain)
which was demolished & turned into circuit city

biggest thing i remember about that shopping center is that it used to have a small indoor mall.

-M

soonervegas
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I spent many Junior High hours 1988-1989 at that $1 Theatre on Friday and Saturday nights.

Soonerman
04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Is Burlington Coat Factory still open there?

Martin
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
afaik, burlington is still open... they looked open for business a week or two ago. -M

Charlie40
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Drove by tonight the only things left in there are Burlington, Langstons, Payless shoes and a car rental company on the very end by burlington

Thunder
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah, it is hard to imagine the space, which is now empty, is so small. It didn't seem small a long time ago, but now it is hard to imagine a movie theater fitting in that space.

megax11
04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Well that shopping ctr is pretty old and rundown might be best to just finish tearing it down and rebuild something newer on that area. the corner where the movie theatre was is already gutted out it is mis matched like it is. I say tear it down and build a new shields plaza there.

Believe me, I am very passionate about seeing southside OKC flourish like northside, quail, norman, and moore have been as of late.

However, seeing southside OKC's luck, it will probably stay empty and un-attended just like dodson, almonte, and the plaza off of 59th and walker.

Southside has so many empty plazas, that could be rebuilt to attract businesses, but the owners of said plazas are relying on bingo halls, without a care in the world if this side of the city grows.

Charlie40
04-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I can see saving a shopping ctr for nostalgia purposes but I believe Shields Plaza is beyond that and needs a whole new design/layout. I must say I do not care very much for the way they did the shopping places at I-240 & Walker after they tore down the old shopping ctr there it is too choppy and disconnected feeling to me anyway.

Architect2010
04-30-2009, 10:58 AM
However, seeing southside OKC's luck, it will probably stay empty and un-attended just like dodson, almonte, and the plaza off of 59th and walker.

Southside has so many empty plazas, that could be rebuilt to attract businesses, but the owners of said plazas are relying on bingo halls, without a care in the world if this side of the city grows.

Hmm. Actually the plaza on 59th and Walker was rebuilt/renovated very very recently. It looks really good. They planted a lot of trees, added minor landscaping and completely re-facaded the entire plaza. I am pleased with it besides the bingo-hall. Eck. I just think that shopping strip in particular just needs to promote itself more. The plaza at 59th and Western has more valuable tenants and its a complete eyesore. I hate that place.

kbsooner
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Not sure if I am overstepping bounds here, but I know as of a couple of years ago the S. Shields center was owned by out of state interests. They were looking into possibilities for a substantial facelift for the whole area. I think when the estimates came in on construction and design fees, the project died. Just not enough consumer money in the surrounding area to justify the expense. Of course this was all before the economy going belly up. I'm betting it will be several year before anything is looked at again with this area.

Charlie40
04-30-2009, 12:17 PM
What is so wrong with the Southwestern Plaza shopping ctr??

Architect2010
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
It's hideous? Stores there are outdated, dirty, and some even have bars on their windows. The parking lot isn't even well taken care of.

Are you kidding me? The nicest tenant in that whole thing is probably Subway or the Dentist.

kevinpate
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
> some even have bars on their windows.

That's less of a surprise than realizing some do not have bars.

Charlie40
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
It's hideous? Stores there are outdated, dirty, and some even have bars on their windows. The parking lot isn't even well taken care of.

Are you kidding me? The nicest tenant in that whole thing is probably Subway or the Dentist.

I dont see anything wrong with it other than cocina de mino could use a new sign out front.

oneforone
05-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Drove by tonight the only things left in there are Burlington, Langstons, Payless shoes and a car rental company on the very end by burlington

I worked at that Circuit City in the warehouse from 2000-2003. Our customer pick up window faced Payless Shoes. That store rarely did/does any business. They see maybe 5-10 cars a day in their lot. Many days the only car(s) you would see there belonged to the employee(s). Yet the store has always been open and has been open for at least 20 years or more. I am thinking they have a cheap rent rate or they must be a black market front for something.

kevinpate
05-01-2009, 04:37 AM
Then again, you might be amazed how much business one can do off only a few cars a day, provided they are shoppers and not lookielous of course

stick47
05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
I worked at that Circuit City in the warehouse from 2000-2003. Our customer pick up window faced Payless Shoes. That store rarely did/does any business. They see maybe 5-10 cars a day in their lot. Many days the only car(s) you would see there belonged to the employee(s). Yet the store has always been open and has been open for at least 20 years or more. I am thinking they have a cheap rent rate or they must be a black market front for something.

Chain stores that are fortunate enough to have their stores name visible to a major highway can have low sales and still be a viable asset to the company. Probably their net profit ratio doesn't look too bad if you factor in what the yearly rent would be for a billboard along that same highway.

tlj
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I have been told Braum's is building on this site and will close the SW 29th Shields store. FWIW

Charlie40
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Seems like a small site for a new Braums.

Thunder
05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Seems like a small site for a new Braums.

:LolLolLol

All the lots and buildings seem small when going up, but once you go inside, it's plentiful.

Even the Del City Walmart looked too small when it was building, but when it was done, it was (still is) huge inside. The space looked small, but after completion, the space was (still is) enough.

It's quite common to look at a site and that it seem to look small, but it isn't.

Architect2010
05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
My friend who works at the one on 59th and Walker said they're moving into that new site.

Charlie40
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like they have stopped working on this site. I havent seen any trace of activity there in over 2-3 weeks. I wonder whats up with it.

kevinpate
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Dunno, but sometimes ... the permits, they get hung up, for all kinds of odd reasons.