View Full Version : Penn Square Mall update

Pages : [1] 2 3

Patrick
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Thought I'd let everyone know, the state's first official Lego store is opening at Penn Square Mall, on the lower level, next to Williams Sonoma. I spoke with the mall manager recently, and surprisingly, there are still well over 50 national retailers on the waiting list. In this economy, that's pretty impressive. The problem is finding the appropriate space for the tenant. For example, Forever 21 would love to put a store in the mall, but currently there just isn't a space large enough to house a Forever 21 store and meet their requirements.

I'll continue to keep you updated on new adds to Penn Square.

jstanthrnme
04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
That is way cool.

Lego's were my life about 20 years ago.

Luke
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd love to take a gander at the 50 on that list. :)

By the way, it's good to hear from ya', Patrick.

onthestrip
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats because Penn has the best demographics and is the most attractive area for upscale national retailers.

Maybe this could be a reminder next time someone posts a 'why cant downtown get good retail?' message

jbkrems
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I wonder when California Pizza Kitchen gets a pad at Penn Square Mall, or up on Memorial, or somewhere in the OKC area.

John
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
We're also getting a TEAVANA where Montblanc used to be.

warreng88
04-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I seem to remember a sign for a new (much larger) American Eagle going in on the upper level west of the food court toward Dillard's. If this is going in, what is going in where the current AE is downstairs?

Pete
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
AE has more than one concept, so they may be keeping the old space.

Luke
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
If there are 50 on the waiting list, you'd think they'd maybe consider an expansion.

cedbled
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
lest us see the 50...we'd all like to know

Luke
04-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Let's play a game...

What are the top 50 retailers that Penn Square DOESN'T currently have?

metro
04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Armani Exchange
Dean and Deluca
Crate and Barrel
Versace
Emporio Armani
Kenneth Cole
Urban Outfitters
Forever XXI
Ben Sherman
Diesel

those are just a few of many that come to mind

Luke
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Disney Store!

:)

metro
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Disney was so 90's Luke. It's time has come and gone and it left Penn.

Luke
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Disney was so 90's Luke. It's time has come and gone and it left Penn.

Disney is forever, metro.

Forever.

Decious
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
...and eternity can be found on the second level of Quail Springs. Go to that one Luke.:smile:

Luke
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
...and eternity can be found on the second level of Quail Springs. Go to that one Luke.:smile:

Oh, I do.

But who could turn down a double dose of heaven?

;)

Patrick
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I went to one of the official Lego stores last year in LA, and I was pretty impressed.
As for American Eagle, they're looking at putting in one of their Aerie stores in the mall.
Concerning the list, it's not exactly 50....I can't remember the exact amount, and the list is always fluid. Simon is always talking to different national retailers. There are just about 50 that for sure want a space in the mall. But, Woodland Hills, and even Quail Springs for that matter, have similar lists. And the temporary short term tenants list is much longer. Anthropologie is one store on the list as is Forever 21, Steve Madden, and Fossil. I really don't want to go into too much more detail though. Really, it's all about getting the spot the tenant wants. For example, White House Black Market was on the list for a few years until the space they wanted in the center court opened up. Same with Ann Taylor. Rent cost usually isn't an issue. National retailers would rather pay more in rent to get into an upscale center than pay less at a location like Heritage Park! :)

For malls to compete in this market, they have to go more upscale. Otherwise, those that don't are having a difficult time competing with strip malls and Wal-Mart. Quail is doing okay, although General Growth Properties, their owner, is not. Quail has the demographics to go more upscale. I'm not sure why GGP doesn't take the mall in that direction. Currently, it's meeting stiff competition with the strip centers along Memorial.

BTW, thanks Luke. I haven't been participating because I've been working 80 hours a week at the hospital. I'm not mad at anyone, just staying really busy. I do read from time to time, even though I don't always have time to make posts.

Patrick
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
BTW, Francesca's should also be opening up soon at Penn Square if it's not already open.

warreng88
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
BTW, Francesca's should also be opening up soon at Penn Square if it's not already open.

It has already opened. It is about two doors down from the Apple store. My wife really likes it. She said it is like a smaller Anthropology and the prices are very competitive.

megax11
04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow, looks like another blow to the Metro area... First we're losing our mall, but now another cool business is going somewhere other then southside.

I swear everyday we lose more and more to the likes of northside, Moore, Norman, and over there by Quail.

When is it southsides time to shine? We've had one new plaza, while other plaza's are full of Bingo halls and rundown parking lots.

Heck we don't even know if we're getting a chic-fil-a like all the other places that have standalone units. It's only a rumor...

Jesseda
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
a lego store sounds nice, i wonder if it will be like fao swartz mega bloc karea where you can pick your own blocks out the colors and stuff and put them in the bag for a certain price

bombermwc
04-29-2009, 12:45 PM
A freaking lego store! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

Maybe someone can take one of the 2 A&F's and put something else in. Do we really need 2 of them???

metro
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd rather see an upscale clothier like AX, Diesel, Kenneth Cole or something than a Lego store. I mean a Lego store could go anywhere in OKC, Quail would be good.

Jesseda
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
to bad they (pennsq and 50penn) dont built a underground from penn sq to 50 penn place and merge to two shopping plazas as one, kinda like a galleria in houston

Thunder
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Forever 21? I think I saw that in Crossroads. I could be wrong, but it just striked me being familiar. I was just at the mall today, bought some Mother's Day gifts. ECO, where are you?!

warreng88
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
to bad they (pennsq and 50penn) dont built a underground from penn sq to 50 penn place and merge to two shopping plazas as one, kinda like a galleria in houston

Isn't there underground shopping in Vegas too? I am wanting to say between the Venetian and the Bellagio, but I am not sure.

metro
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw a Forever 21 in Crossroads. They do/did have Rue 21, which is not even close to the same thing. Quail has a watered down Forever 21 though, but they have no mens section.

Architect2010
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Just please my slightly scene/retro style by providing me a Forever 21 with a men's section/ and Urban Outfitters, and an American Apparel. Zumiez and Pac Sun ain't cuttin' it for my shirts and jeans.

I think that when American Eagle opens their new store that they may be closing the one below. I could have swore that that the man up there said they chose the new space because their current space is much too small and doesn't have an aerie section. I know for a fact that the new place is significantly larger. It used to be some fancy furniture store. Egh. Or maybe they'll leave the one below for aerie. I dunno if they'd need all of that space. Or maybe they will. Iono.

PokeyePierce
04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Any idea when the Lego store will open? My son will think he's in heaven.

dclokc
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Not sure when it opens, however....the lego.com website has it listed and I was at Penn today and they have already started working on it....KEWL BEANS! We can get more Star Wars Legos! :fighting4

Thunder
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw a Forever 21 in Crossroads. They do/did have Rue 21, which is not even close to the same thing. Quail has a watered down Forever 21 though, but they have no mens section.

Okay, thx, I guess it was Rue 21.

I'm still mad at DEB, they still did not bring back the men clothes!!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/14.gif

jbrown84
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM

I didn't know Mont Blanc closed...

foodiefan
04-29-2009, 06:26 PM

any idea when they will open?

jbrown84
04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Just please my slightly scene/retro style by providing me a Forever 21 with a men's section/ and Urban Outfitters, and an American Apparel. Zumiez and Pac Sun ain't cuttin' it for my shirts and jeans.

Blue 7 on N. May sells American Apparel.

Wow, looks like another blow to the Metro area... First we're losing our mall, but now another cool business is going somewhere other then southside.

I swear everyday we lose more and more to the likes of northside, Moore, Norman, and over there by Quail.

When is it southsides time to shine? We've had one new plaza, while other plaza's are full of Bingo halls and rundown parking lots.

Heck we don't even know if we're getting a chic-fil-a like all the other places that have standalone units. It's only a rumor...

There's nothing upscale enough on the southside for these kinds of stores. Not even in Moore. So until P.B. Odom III or some other developer takes the risk to building something other than a run of the mill strip mall, then all you're going to get is Office Depot and Old Navy.

Maybe someone can take one of the 2 A&F's and put something else in. Do we really need 2 of them???

It's possible the old space could become a Martin + Osa. That's AE's new upscale brand.
Women's + Men's Apparel, Sweaters, Dresses, Blazers and Accessories | Martin + Osa (http://www.martinandosa.com)

Patrick
04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
As far as selling different colors of legos, and being able to choose, yes, every official lego store has that option. I went to the one at Disneyland and was highly impressed.

And yeah, Blue 7 is comparable to Urban Outfitters...sort of.

poe
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I actually went to a Martin+Osa store in Denver and really liked it. It wasn't as plain as Gap, and it wasn't geared to one specific demographic like Abercrombie and Fitch. It's a good mix.

I agree that 50 Penn and Penn Square should feed off each other. I could see 50 Penn housing something major - Crate and Barrel comes to mind. One good anchor could probably make that a pretty happenin' place.

onthestrip
04-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Dont see any good retail coming to 50 Penn anytime soon. There would have to major, major renovations before any of these retailers would think about locating there.

Jesseda
04-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Patrick i went to the lego store in downtown disney last year, it is a great store. It was over crowded so it was hard to shop for things. I think my little ones will like one going into penn sq, just wish they would put in a mr. potato head department like the one in disney california

metro
04-30-2009, 07:31 AM

I think that when American Eagle opens their new store that they may be closing the one below. I could have swore that that the man up there said they chose the new space because their current space is much too small and doesn't have an aerie section. I know for a fact that the new place is significantly larger. It used to be some fancy furniture store. Egh. Or maybe they'll leave the one below for aerie. I dunno if they'd need all of that space. Or maybe they will. Iono.

I agree with UO and Forever 21, I'd like to see AX here too. As other said, Blue 7 carrries American Apparel, I've been to American Apparel stores and honestly don't get the trend? Basic solid color cotton shirts that are wayyyyyy overpriced.

KTB
04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Dont see any good retail coming to 50 Penn anytime soon. There would have to major, major renovations before any of these retailers would think about locating there.

I think we've seen the last of the good retail at 50 Penn. With Harold's gone and Balliet's leaving I think it's done. I walked through it a few months ago and it was in need of a complete face lift. With the sale falling through last year I don't think the current ownership is willing to make the investment.

Rover
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Need to score a M&N and a Zara in OKC.

Superhyper
05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Need to score a M&N and a Zara in OKC.

Amen, I was at a Zara in NYC last month and loved it. I walked in expecting it to be ridiculously expensive but it was actually quite reasonable. They seem to be expanding pretty fast so who knows, maybe soon?

metro
05-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I'd like to see an H&M and Z Gallerie too....

amylynn5656
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Stores we need at Penn more than a Lego Store:

Armani Exchange
Anthropologie
Crate and Barrel
Restoration Hardware
Zara
H&M (wishful thinking)
Max Mara
Urban Outfitters
United Colors of Bennetton
Z. Gallerie
Aveda

I haven't been to Penn in a while so I'm excited to hear that Francesca's opened - that place is great and I hate having to drive all the way to Edmond to go there.

I think the Lego store would work at Quail Springs better than at Penn - but considering their financial situation I'm not so sure it's the safest bet. IMO it just seems that there are more kiddos at Quail than at Penn.

I do agree that Abercrombie for kids and adults should just combine into one store. Also I'd love to see some stores combine or one be eliminated just because they are redundant and are simply taking up space (read: The Icing and Claire's).

warreng88
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I would love to see:

Crate & Barrell
The Container Store (maybe not in the mall, but in the parking lot)
Urban Outfitters
Anthropologie
AX
Steve Madden
FAO (by itself, not in a dept store)

Stores I would not like to see because my wife would spend a lot of money there:

Kate Spade
D&G
Forever 21
Dooney & Burke

progressiveboy
05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd like to see an H&M and Z Gallerie too.... Z Galleire is a great store, however, they are having financial problems. Read in the DMN about 2 weeks ago that they closed 27 stores and eliminated a distribution center in Atlanta. They closed stores in different states that elimated them being in the marketplace. It sounds like they may be the next to go belly up. I hope not.

metro
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Bummer, didn't know that.

jbrown84
05-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree that 50 Penn and Penn Square should feed off each other. I could see 50 Penn housing something major - Crate and Barrel comes to mind. One good anchor could probably make that a pretty happenin' place.

I thought putting in the Olive Garden was a big mistake. If they had added on an anchor store to that end of the mall such as Saks or Nordstrom, it would have saved that mall and made that area the undisputed shopping mecca of the region.

bluedogok
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Z Galleire is a great store, however, they are having financial problems. Read in the DMN about 2 weeks ago that they closed 27 stores and eliminated a distribution center in Atlanta. They closed stores in different states that elimated them being in the marketplace. It sounds like they may be the next to go belly up. I hope not.
Our offices are above the Z Gallerie in The Domain in Austin, it was one of the ones that survived this cut. We have already had a few of the stores close up there and we have been in there a little over a year, the mall has been open about two years now. I think it is too high end, luckily the next phase is going to be more of a mix.

One that is interesting there is Loft (http://www.lofthomedecor.com/), another home type store in the Second Street shopping district downtown is Design Within Reach (http://www.dwr.com/).

metro
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
LEGO builds on toy’s success with launch of Oklahoma store
BY JENNIFER PALMER

LEGO building products, the colorful interlocking blocks, seem to be making a comeback.

The LEGO Group is scheduled to open a retail store in Penn Square Mall this summer — its first shop in Oklahoma.

Nine new LEGO stores are set to open this summer, after the Danish company saw sales increase 38 percent in 2008, said spokeswoman Julie Stern.

"We’re seeing a second generation of LEGO builders,” she said.

LEGO is seeing its own popularity soar during the recession, Stern said.

Parents see the construction toys as something that can entertain their children over and over again at home.

Inventory at LEGO retail stores are 100 percent LEGO products, she said.

The stores host extravagant opening events with a master builder who creates a life-size model entirely out of LEGO materials.

Penn Square Mall manager Audrie Thompson said mall staff don’t yet know what LEGO has planned for the Oklahoma City opening. A date also has not been set.

The LEGO store is under construction in the Macy’s wing on the mall’s lower level, between Williams-Sonoma and The Limited

theparkman81
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I can't wait till it opens, I gonna to take my niece's to it, when it opens.

Luke
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't think it's been mentioned. Went to the mall today and asked the information desk when the Lego Store would be opening. Grand opening is July 25th.

Cool!

okyeah
05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Penn square is probably the best mall in OKC...but their security is a JOKE (http://www.koco.com/news/19520770/detail.html).

progressiveboy
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
We're also getting a TEAVANA where Montblanc used to be. Great loose teas and such a diverse variety. Good addition to the mall, however, too bad that Montblanc closed. I thought that PS was trying to attract upscale retail establishments. Makes me question if OKC is able to support high end stores with the economy being so bad. The Montblanc store was the only one in the State.

Midtowner
05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Penn square is probably the best mall in OKC...but their security is a JOKE (http://www.koco.com/news/19520770/detail.html).

Really? What is security supposed to do to keep this from happening? How do you prevent someone from pulling up to the curb (like thousands of cars do every day), jumping out of the car, grabbing someone's purse and getting back into the car to drive away?

My car was stolen out of their parking lot once. Crime happens. Not much you can do to stop it.

bandnerd
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Your car was stolen over 10 years ago, Mid. Are you still upset about it? Do you think that maybe security has changed in 10 years?

Midtowner
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Your car was stolen over 10 years ago, Mid. Are you still upset about it? Do you think that maybe security has changed in 10 years?

Not much can be done to stop someone who wants to steal your car. Yeah, if I came across the kids who did it, I'd kick 'em square in the nuts.

bbhill
05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
in regards to Penn Square security, I was surprised to see the number of security guards at the mall during my visit today.

I saw no less than 10 security guards inside the mall on their very intimidating segways. /sarcasm

Outside the mall entrances, there were security guards patrolling the entrances and walkways.

It was kind of eerie seeing the amount of security guards to be honest. . . :o

okcpulse
05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Great loose teas and such a diverse variety. Good addition to the mall, however, too bad that Montblanc closed. I thought that PS was trying to attract upscale retail establishments. Makes me question if OKC is able to support high end stores with the economy being so bad. The Montblanc store was the only one in the State.

If Tulsa can support a Saks Fifth Avenue through the oil bust of the 1980s and even today, I wouldn't even question Oklahoma City's support for high end retail. Some stores close not because they are doing bad, but because of leasing issues or because the company altogether is closing or realigning locations.