View Full Version : Downtown info needed...

08hybridok
04-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Looks like I'll be doing jury duty for the Fed Courthouse in a few weeks. I rarely ever go downtown, and only for a short time when I do.

Is there an easy, close parking garage/lot?

Lunch? Nearby places to eat, cheaply and I assume quickly.

I found this site: Untitled Document (http://www.parkingokc.com/)

Looking here, it' seems #1 is perfect, except it seems it only has 10 daily spots? Downtown Parking (http://www.dowellproperties.com/Garage2.html)
Dowell Center Parking (http://www.dowellproperties.com/garage.html)

And here looks like Metro Garage II is also close, but $7/day? Downtown OKC -- Map (http://www.downtownokc.com/supermap/dokcmap.aspx?locationid=1022)

Any suggestions on both greatly appreciated!

Midtowner
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I go to the court house a lot. I always park in the county garage across the street. I never really pay attention to what it costs though.

My recommendation for lunch would be the Thai place up on Hudson and (I think) Dean McGee. It's excellent.

If you're just into burgers and fries, you could do the Harvey Grill which is across Harvey just east of the Courthouse.

Also, don't carry a pocketknife or anything that could be called a weapon. They will take it away.

Steve
04-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Jury duty is definitely not a money maker. I'm kind of surprised the county doesn't provide parking to jurors in its parking garage. Anyway, your best bet is either the City Center garages or the Metro garages. Because you're not acquainted with downtown, I'd stick with the county's Metro garages because the City Center garages are now in a construction zone.
Lunch - that's easy. You have a Subway and the Harvey Street Grill immediately east of the courthouse. You also have the 1st Edition Cafe in the library and one block east of the courthouse, in the basement of the Robinson Renassaince Building (it has MidFirst Bank on the first floor facing Park Avenue) you have a big food court with tons of cheap, fast options and lots of seating.
Good luck and congratulations on this big time opportunity to earn some extra income (I assume it's still a staggering $20 a week, right?)
- Steve

08hybridok
04-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks, and these are all near the Fed Courthouse right (200 NW4th) across from the Murrah building was?

It's not county, altho the county tried to get me several times, I live in OKC, but in Cleveland county, so I respond with that and they say, OK nevermind ;)

But this is US District Court for the Western District of OK, whatever that means? I also suppose that means it won't be a Judy Judy type trial either.

Thanks for the tip, I have a small pocket knife atttached to my keys I never think about ;)

I don't suppose we have a special Hybrid parking like California does :ohno: just had to ask.
{edit} Oh I guess it was free meters in LA, and looks like that is comming to, or all ready ended.

Midtowner
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
For the federal courthouse, I'm not even sure where I'd park. If you don't mind walking, the county garage is just as good as anyplace. There are also day lots around there. I'd just drive up the day before and try and find something so that you're not late.

A word about security at the federal courthouse -- if you think county is strict, the feds are MUCH worse (nice folks but strict). Those metal detectors are extremely sensitive, so avoid wearing anything with metal in it. If you have a belt buckle, it's going to have to be taken off. They might even make you remove your shoes.

Also, you can't bring a cell phone with a camera on it into the federal courthouse (or any camera for that matter).

As for what kind of trial you'll be in on, the federal courthouse handles a pretty wide variety of issues. You could be asked to sit in on a civil case or a criminal case. Most of them are going to be multi-day affairs. Bring a crossword puzzle or something to keep you occupied when court's not in session.

Also, get there about 30 minutes early. That place is relatively difficult to navigate -- at least it is for me.

PennyQuilts
04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with Mid - bring a crossword puzzle or something - perhaps a book. Jury duty is a lot of being herded around and waiting on lawyers to settle things while waiting to actually be seated on a jury. Have fun!

Steve
04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
08hybrid, forgive me - didn't see "fed" in the post.
Let me reassess the eating options.
Quick and cheap nearby ... little less certain on that... some still apply

Midtowner
04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
As for eating options, there's a cafeteria in the basement. It's pretty 'ok.' I'm assuming they give you an hour and a half for lunch. That'd be plenty of time to run over to Deep Deuce Cafe or Sage. And by "run," I mean drive.

Steve
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I think Deep Deuce Grill or Sage might take longer, and isn't what I'd call cheap (they are both superb, however).
Eatery suggestions: Harvey St. Grill and Subway at Dean A. McGee and Harvey (facing Harvey), Markee's Deli at Robinson and NW 6, or Hobby's Hoagies at Dean A. McGee and Walker, or the Thai place Midtowner mentioned. And yes, the feds are EXTREMELY STRICT on security. If you don't need it, leave it at home.

Midtowner
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Does the "Red Line" trolley run by the federal courthouse around lunch time? I know it serves other parts of downtown driving folks between the downtown area and local eateries around lunch time. The map on the COTPA site was a dead link though. I've heard great things about Markee's. Never been.

08hybridok
04-27-2009, 01:48 AM
It doesn't look like the red line does, but maybe the blue: http://www.bricktownokc.org/Websites/87/Files/bluelinemap1.pdf
http://www.bricktownokc.org/Websites/87/Files/redlinemap1.pdf

Wish the orage line ran at like 6am! I'd park on Meridian and ride the trolly downtown!

I guess I can try out a trolly, just hope I don't get on the wrong one and wind up on meridian when i need to be back in court!:doh:

I'll look over the downtown site more, seems likes lots of good info.

What's this 'underground' I see on some maps. It's it an underground walkway between garages & buldings or something?

Thanks again

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes, The Underground is the former Conncourse pedestrian tunnel system between buildings.

no one is just wolfing about fed courthouse security. If you don't have to have it, leave it at home or lock it in the car. The lowest sense of humor airport security person you've ever known is jerry seinfield compared to your typical federale gatekeepers.

There should be a jury coordinator when you check in. He or she will undoubtedly have tips on food places that are easy in and out or close walking.

Steve
04-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Based on the numerous complaints I've heard about the trolley service, it's not something I'm certain can be relied upon for timeliness.

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
it's not a trolley, it's an adventure, in slow motion.

Kandyegirl
04-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Hello HybridOK ~

When I had jury duty, they gave us 1 1/2 hours (2hrs one day) for lunch. Plenty of time to have some fun *smile* I had no problems eating and exploring the museum, library, etc while still making it back without being late.

My fave place to graze downtown is Johnny's Lunch Box. It's been there forever. Food is served cafeteria style, super yummy and very inexpensive. You see all types of folks eating together there, which is another thing I enjoy about the spot. Cool, old black & white photos of OKC on the walls. It is located @ 413 W Sheridan, between Hudson & Walker.

Sorry... I can't help ya with the parking question. I had my boyfriend drop me off each morning to avoid paying $$$.

Have fun, good Citizen ~
Kandye