View Full Version : So who wants to share some history on Spartan Drive In?

Steve
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Looking to get the southside represented on Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com) and I need your help! Got a photo of it now - it's a used car lot.

grantgeneral78
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
where in the world was the spartan theatre?

Steve
04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Not a theater, it was like a Coits or Sonic. It was on Shields Boulevard.

papaOU
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM

When did you graduate?

jellen
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Actually it was just an old time drive in restaurant. There were a few booths inside. You couldn't drive around it, so if you wanted to "drag" Spartans you would drive past it and turn around at the north side of SE Highschool, close to the cafeteria and drive by it again or pull in. It had the limpest, greasiest french fries but we thought they were great drenched in ketchup.

Steve
04-26-2009, 05:16 PM
PapaOU, I graduated in 1985 from a small north church school. I operate a website, Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com), and as some here can verify, I'm trying to get more balance on the site. Jellen, you're providing me just the sort of details I need. Can anyone tell me who operated it, and how long it was open.

papaOU
04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
PapaOU, I graduated in 1985 from a small north church school. I operate a website, Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com), and as some here can verify, I'm trying to get more balance on the site. Jellen, you're providing me just the sort of details I need. Can anyone tell me who operated it, and how long it was open.

o.k. I know who you are. Or at least the name and website. I graduated in 1973 but have no memories of the "Drive-in". Never got on Shields except to go to Elm wood.

bowtieguy
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
The Spartan was a place where everybody could go and hang out, the occasional fight was scheduled on the north side of the place, but, mostly folks just wanted to have the infamous forget-me-not or the greasier than most fries. Mike, the owner would always extend credit if you were broke, I don't think that he ever worried about whether or not you paid. He really was a great supporter of the school and gave us a pretty decent place to hang out.

andy157
04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
o.k. I know who you are. Or at least the name and website. I graduated in 1973 but have no memories of the "Drive-in". Never got on Shields except to go to Elm wood.What school?

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
where on Shields was this? Across from SE or somewhere further down the road.
Saying it's now a used car lot on Shields is not much more helpful than saying there's a dive or no tell motel at the spot now.

jellen
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
where on Shields was this? Across from SE or somewhere further down the road.
Saying it's now a used car lot on Shields is not much more helpful than saying there's a dive or no tell motel at the spot now.

Spartan's was right next to SE on the north side. Same side of the street.

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

papaOU
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Must be a memorably place!!

Sounds like it left a great impression on all of you.

But then that's S.E. for you............

Generals64
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I think that the Spartan Drive-In Restaurant is where the kids from southeast used to go after the prom????Is that right Soonergirl????

papaOU
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Soonergirl!!

Please come back............

All is forgiven..........

Generals64
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Soonergirl!!

Please come back............

All is forgiven..........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys are being ugly to the mother of this group...remember, Mother's Day is coming up real soon....Be kind.....

papaOU
05-01-2009, 09:16 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys are being ugly to the mother of this group...remember, Mother's Day is coming up real soon....Be kind.....

I won't forget you Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerGirl26
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
OK you guys....wise words from Mom.......Spartan's Drive-In was the little hamburger, french fry, coke place to the north of SE High School. I didn't go there much, spent my time going to the Del Rancho on 59th & Santa Fe and to Kip's Big Boy at 59th & Western.

~~~

papaOU
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I think that the Spartan Drive-In Restaurant is where the kids from southeast used to go after the prom????Is that right Soonergirl????

That's where the prom was held.

They catered the dinner from the Dairy Queen on 44th and Shields...........

Flower arrangements courtesy Sunnylane Cemetery..........

For added protection visit Stewart Wood Drug. We're just right around the corner

SoonerGirl26
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
That's where the prom was held.

They catered the dinner from the Dairy Queen on 44th and Shields...........

Flower arrangements courtesy Sunnylane Cemetery..........

For added protection visit Stewart Wood Drug. We're just right around the corner

Hey papaOU....better watch it...LOL! Actually, it seems like we had all our proms and pep club banquets at Val Gene's upstairs at Penn Square. Don't think we had any "after parties"....or at least I didn't go to any. I was boring......

~~~

Generals64
05-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Soonergirl!!!!! have you got a picture anywhere of the original Spartan Drive-In???? If so let me know....Steve needs it for his book.....

SoonerGirl26
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Soonergirl!!!!! have you got a picture anywhere of the original Spartan Drive-In???? If so let me know....Steve needs it for his book.....

I looked through all my yearbooks and didn't see one. I'll get the box down of my old school newspapers and look through them to see if there is one there. I might also email our alumni rep, he's a '65 grad and a teacher at SE now. I'll see if he knows of a picture.

~~

Steve
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Website, General, website. As long as David Sellers and John Michael Williams are alive, I'd be a poor second c hoice for doing a book about Capitol Hill.

papaOU
05-20-2009, 08:31 PM
How to find the Spartan Drive-in.

West side of Shields and South of The Montana Mining Co.

Leave it a 'Skin..................

SoonerGirl26
05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
How to find the Spartan Drive-in.

West side of Shields and South of The Montana Mining Co.

Leave it a 'Skin..................

Hahaha....I prefer to say it was just north of Southeast High School at 52nd & Shields.

~~~

Generals64
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Website, General, website. As long as David Sellers and John Michael Williams are alive, I'd be a poor second c hoice for doing a book about Capitol Hill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh Well, at least I'm out there "Plugging" for you.....

tfcedemoss@hotmail.com
02-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Next to Southeast HS.
Only story I have, I had friends at SE-CHHS-and Choctaw HS. Lived equa lateral CHHS and SE. Grew up with Don Bateman.
Was at the Spartan by myself late one and Dwayne Mercer drove in at parked next to me. Had taken a long time girlfriend to the 77 outdoor drive in. Parked next to me and in a rush approached my car seeking help. We were friends but didn't run much togeather. He had dated this lovely young girl so long; it was as they were married. He was graduating and decided to break up. She was devistated, drank a pint of whiskey while he went to the concession stand. Near coma when he came back. Couldn't take her home in that condition, her Dad would have killed him. My advise was take her to our house and my mother would sober her up. She was good in emergency without judgment. Hot bath with cold water down the back and 2 pots of coffee and she could stand. He took her home and all life was again peaceful. Dwayne and Bobby were friends for years. Glad I didn't have to go to her house that night.

Prunepicker
02-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Next to Southeast HS.
I didn't hang out in that part of town. I know that Gen64 and soonergier26
are very well acquainted with that part of town.

Maybe one of them will reply