View Full Version : When will we need to replace the Ford Center?

Laramie
04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I keep hearing that the Ford Center's upgrade will fine-tune it for another 10 to 15 years?

People, don't kid yourselves. We will be looking at a new arena in 5 to 7 years if we are going to entertain having the NBA around long-term.

What do we need to build?

Something multipurpose, capable of accommodating the NBA, with the possibility of large events such as the NCAA final four. We will need something to accommodate 20,000-30,000 for indoor sports to in excess of 40,000 for soccer, high school sports, and some levels of college football.

Could this be a part of the Core to Shore planning? Maybe, an uptown facility near Lake Hefner?

Something multipupose with a retractable?

What are your thoughts?:bright_id

Mr. T in OKC
04-25-2009, 03:45 PM
If we build something that large, the Thunder won't play in it. There's a reason why the San Antonio Spurs don't play in the Alamo Dome.

OKCisOK4me
04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I see no reason to replace the Ford Center in 5 to 7 years. Yeah, maybe on the outside it's a little bland compared to The BOK Center in Tulsa or the spaceship Sprint Center in Kansas City, but by the time all the spending on improvements is made to the Ford Center your forecast will be for 3 to 5 years. At a $208 million price tag, I'm confident the Ford Center will be the home of the Thunder for many years to come!

Stan Silliman
04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I keep hearing that the Ford Center's upgrade will fine-tune it for another 10 to 15 years?

People, don't kid yourselves. We will be looking at a new arena in 5 to 7 years if we are going to entertain having the NBA around long-term.

Something multipurpose, capable of accommodating the NBA, with the possibility of large events such as the NCAA final four. We will need something to accommodate 20,000-30,000 for indoor sports to in excess of 40,000 for soccer, high school sports, and some levels of college football.

Could this be a part of the Core to Shore planning? Maybe, an uptown facility near Lake Hefner?

Here's my thoughts: RECESSION.

I want the city to get its monies worth.

Ford center seats 19,675 for basketball. That is MORE than Staples in LA, more than Denver and only one hundred seats less than Madison Square Garden. Included at the Ford are 49 private suites. The Ford can hold 20,800 for concerts. We are undergoing an upgrade that will cost more than the original building.

If we were to build something that is multi-purpose or retractable it would be a huge waste to gain only 10,000 seats. I don't think basketball should be in the equation but if a retractable is suggested it needs to be NFL size and with both Owen Field and Jerryworld down the road, good luck with that.

Shake2005
04-26-2009, 07:40 AM
After the renovations the Ford Center is only going to seat 18,600 for basketball and is only going to have 36 suites.

so1rfan
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Do you have any idea where this years Final Four was played? Ford Field. Thats right, a football stadium. Do you know where the next seven Final Fours will be played? Lucas Oil Stadium, Reliant Stadium, The Superdome, The Geogia Dome and Dallas Cowboys Stadium. That's right, football stadiums. A 40,000 seat arena gets you squat when it comes to the Final Four.

Plus, would you rather have an excellent arena that seats 18-19,000 and sells out 97% of the time or a 30,000+ seat arena that sells out 12% of the time?

As for the Ford Center being a little bland, check out what it will look like when it is finished. Here: https://www.okc.gov/news/2008_01/fordcenter_1.pdf you have to go all the way to the end to see exterior renditions.

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
If reality matches the proposed, then nice, real nice.

warreng88
04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
You have to understand that the Key Arena was built the 60's, refurbished in the mid-90's and they asked for a new one ten years later. The Ford Center was built in 2002, will be renovated with all the current common amenities by the end of 2010 and be up to, if not exceeding, NBA standards. I see the eventual replacement for the Ford Center going in the spot where the Cox Convention Center is currently. I think we will probably need to renovate the Ford Center again in about 10 years due to technology moving along so fast but a new arena shouldn't even be on the table for 15-20 years.

OKCisOK4me
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
If you're going to compare renovating the Ford Center to technology then you're looking at 10 years, 5 years, 2.5 years and so on and so forth. If you seriously want a replacement for the Ford Center then you better vote for Maps III to happen with a focus on a $400 million convention center because the Cox Center isn't going away until that happens!

warreng88
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
If you're going to compare renovating the Ford Center to technology then you're looking at 10 years, 5 years, 2.5 years and so on and so forth. If you seriously want a replacement for the Ford Center then you better vote for Maps III to happen with a focus on a $400 million convention center because the Cox Center isn't going away until that happens!

Not sure what you are referring to about technology and the FC. In regards to the voting for the convention center and MAPS III, I plan on voting for it.

OKCisOK4me
04-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Not sure what you are referring to about technology and the FC. In regards to the voting for the convention center and MAPS III, I plan on voting for it.

Your line above "I think we will probably need to renovate the Ford Center again in about 10 years due to technology moving along so fast"

I was just poking fun at your line because technology itself doubles on itself daily, lol.

warreng88
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Your line above "I think we will probably need to renovate the Ford Center again in about 10 years due to technology moving along so fast"

I was just poking fun at your line because technology itself doubles on itself daily, lol.

Ah, touche.

Laramie
05-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Who would have thought that we would be replacing the scoreboard this early?

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I would that scoreboard has always been trash

betts
05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I was shocked we bought such a lousy scoreboard to begin with. I assume that is because it was one of the last things purchased and we were out of money. I'm of the belief that we'll get a good 15 to 20 years out of the Ford Center, with minor tweakings. Even NYC, with it's millions of people, doesn't need to seat more than 20,000 for basketball. We won't need more seating. I'm sure that arenas will evolve over the next ten years, and if they do, then we'll start planning the next one, but it won't be done for 15 to 20, IMO.

kevinpate
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
If mayor Mick's eat tacos til you're skinny paln works, in a couple of years, they can just make the seats thinner and presto chango, the place will seat 32,000 stick people.

Chubs like me, we'll stay home and us the 3-D telly as we toss another ladle of gravy on the chicken fry.

Laramie
05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
If mayor Mick's eat tacos til you're skinny paln works, in a couple of years, they can just make the seats thinner and presto chango, the place will seat 32,000 stick people.

Chubs like me, we'll stay home and us the 3-D telly as we toss another ladle of gravy on the chicken fry.

Kevin, You might get some good ole fashion biscuits to sop that gravy!

Seriously though, I understand that the seats in the old Myriad were only 19 inches; in the Ford Center they are 22 inches wide or was this more of fans not being able to have enough room to move around and leave their seating during the game?

San Antonio's AT&T Center has 19 inch seats.

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Kevin, You might get some good ole fashion biscuits to sop that gravy!

Seriously though, I understand that the seats in the old Myriad were only 19 inches; in the Ford Center they are 22 inches wide or was this more of fans not being able to have enough room to move around and leave their seating during the game?

San Antonio's AT&T Center has 19 inch seats.

The seats are fine. It's the stubby little armrests with no cup holders except for on the aisle seats that drive me crazy!

Laramie
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
The seats are fine. It's the stubby little armrests with no cup holders except for on the aisle seats that drive me crazy!

OK! So, that's explains why we will be losing close to 600-seats which includes 20-24 luxury suites, for next year and our capacity will be right at 18,600 a drop from the 19,134?

Mr Big
05-13-2009, 07:39 AM
The seats are not fine. They are way too small. Its not my waist that's the problem. Its my shoulders. IF I sit back in my seat, my shoulders are in the face of the people next to me. Its ridiculous. Out of courtesy to my guest and the stranger on the other side of me, I spend the the whole game hunched over with my elbows on my knees. By the end of every game, my lower back is killing me. Every game, I had to decide do I want the see this game bad enough to deal with the back pain. I gave a way a lot of tickets.

I re-uped my tickets for this season, but told my ticket rep, if the alloted space per person doesn't change, I won't do it again. I love our team, I'm going to support them, but if its causing me pain to go watch I can't do it.

Laramie
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Mr. Big: Did you have any problems with the seats in the old Myriad? Particularily in the upper permanent bowl seating?

kevinpate
05-16-2009, 03:10 AM
I share Mr. Big's perspective of the FC seats, and for the same reason. The tuckus fits, the waist fits as well or better than it fits most places. However, like Big, so seat mates can see more than my upper body, there's a bit of contortion on my part.

When FC hosts a non-packed event, no biggie, there's ample room for my ample self and my mates. But I do forego attending packed events, even those I would enjoy. not too great a sacrifice I suppose, given my general distaste for crowds.

OKCisOK4me
05-16-2009, 08:29 AM
The seats are not fine. They are way too small. Its not my waist that's the problem. Its my shoulders. IF I sit back in my seat, my shoulders are in the face of the people next to me. Its ridiculous. Out of courtesy to my guest and the stranger on the other side of me, I spend the the whole game hunched over with my elbows on my knees. By the end of every game, my lower back is killing me. Every game, I had to decide do I want the see this game bad enough to deal with the back pain. I gave a way a lot of tickets.

I re-uped my tickets for this season, but told my ticket rep, if the alloted space per person doesn't change, I won't do it again. I love our team, I'm going to support them, but if its causing me pain to go watch I can't do it.

I see your point there, now that you're a little more specific. We can't all just be like the average human the seats and rows are modeled for. Therefore, they'll probably never change. Sorry we won't see you for the season after next.

I have the same problem, albeit, on the other end. I'm all legs. 6' 5" with a 45 inch outseam. Average person buys a pair of jeans being 'XX x 32'. Well, I'm 'XX x 37'. At least, that's what they need to be but 34 is usually tops without special ordering. The one season I went to OSU football games, the place where our seats were, were backed seats. I'd always have to Indian Style my legs to even attempt to sit upright. Otherwise, it was stand because I wasn't going to be sitting with my legs straight in front of me.

They won't ever accommodate the bigger than average folk unless you want to pay for it. And I believe their philosophy is that if you can pay for it, then by god, upgrade to a loge box or suite.