View Full Version : Does anybody use AOL instant Messenger?

hailmary57yd
01-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Does any body use this Messenger? I've never used it before. How would you grade and evaluate this servie? I used MSN, and Yahoo messengers.

my friend's kid who is middle school student, told me that he could not send messages to hisd buddy throughout the messenger. He can still get online and doesn't feel any change of his pc. The only problem is he cannot send messages to his buddy throughout the messenger.

Luke
01-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I use Apple's iChat, which logs onto AOL's Instant Messaging network. I've got no complaints about it.

hailmary57yd
01-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Thank you for your response. Is AOL Messenger popular?

Luke
01-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah, the AOL Instant Messenger is a VERY popular instant messaging service. The big three are MSN, Yahoo! and AOL. I would assume AOL is #1, but that's purely a guess.

Keith
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
AOL is the only IM that I use, however, I do have my Yahoo as a stand by. I have never had a problem with AOL IM.

okcnative
01-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I primarily use MSN. However, I also have AOL. I have no complaints. Both seem about equal.

Some of my contacts use either one or the other. For example, some workplaces have systems which allow one to work well, but hinder another because of their system set-up and protections. A friend of mine was in Afghanistan and only one was used at his camp.

By using both AOL and MSN, I can be reached by friends or business contacts through both services. They're free. So why not?

BricktownGuy
01-23-2005, 10:01 PM
I have had no problems with AIM. (AOL Instant Messenger)

I use AIM, MSN and Yahoo messenger. from my experience, out of those three... I have had the most problems with Yahoo messenger than the other. Yahoo seems to drop messages sometimes.

I studied information systems in college and they taught us about 90% of user problems are due to human errors. (no offense meant to anyone)

hailmary57yd
01-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Thank you for you guys opinions. So, which messenger are you using now and which one is your favorite messenger service? I am using MSN messenger now. I used to chat with one of my friend who lives in Indiana because of the distance. It's a convenience tool to communicate with others.

it rarely annoying to me when I find my friend's ID on my messenger after I hung off my friend's call.

MrsSnootyPants
01-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I have all three Yahoo, AOL, and MSN. I use Aol and Yahoo mostly. My Kids have aol but they cant im many people because they have a children's limited account which doesnt allow them to chat to any adults. The AOL restrictions protects them from chatting or viewing any adult stuff.

It is the ONLY reason I have kept AOL. No other ISP provides this service. A child's account will NOT receive any materials, spam, email or messages from other adults unless I put them on the kids mailing list/address book. Even then, if it contains links which AOL has determined are not for their age group the mail will not come through.

It makes the $14.00 monthly worth it. I dont need to be at their side every second they are on line.

When you are logged into this account it prevents Yahoo or other messengers from working to protect my children in the event i've left Yahoo running and some BOT im's my kid with an adult link.

Midtowner
01-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I always preferred ICQ.

Then I discovered that IM programs are a really horrible ways to communicate with people. I really can't stand them now.

Luke
01-25-2005, 04:38 AM
I am able to video chat with my dad who is deaf using iChat. I just plug in the iSight (a web cam) and log into iChat and click the little camera button next to my dad's screen name. This is great because we haven't ever been able to directly communicate over the phone. We rely on my mom (who can hear) to interpret everything that is said. Anyways, it's a great technology and at 15 to 30 frames per second and full screen, you don't miss anything.

http://www.apple.com/isight/
http://www.apple.com/ichat/

PS: Apple just came out with a $499 Mac. So, now everyone can get one:
http://www.apple.com/macmini

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I have an AOL instant messenger its okay,I like the Yahoo IM much better.It is alot easier to stay in touch with my girls around the country and train them I am pretty much available to train them through that all the time, its always on.

DD