View Full Version : OSSM to Possibly Lose Private Donations - Needs Help!

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 07:58 AM
As part of the development around 11th and Lincoln (OUHSC area, too), the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics over the past 15 some-odd years has turned a once-neglected area into a gem of a campus, saving the Lincoln Elementary School in the process. OSSM currently seeks to continue the development of its campus at 11th and Lincoln. OSSM is one of OKC's and OK's crown jewels, as it consistently ranks at the TOP nationally in rankings. (My graduation year, we had the highest composite ACT score in the country. Out of EVERY school, including other magnet schools in NY, TX, FL, CA, etc. OSSM is truly an incredible institution.)

OSSM has raised private donations to complete a doubling of its capacity in students. The state legislature has promised to match the funds, allowing the shovel-ready project to commence. However, the state has dragged its feet for SO LONG (years, in fact) that several parties are ASKING FOR THEIR DONATIONS BACK.

Support OSSM Ten Minutes Can Keep $1.2 Million Dollars from being Lost (http://www.supportossm.org/save-the-funds/)

Welcome to OSSM [Oklahoma School of Science & Mathematics] (http://www.ossm.edu) for more info about the school

This is an OKC development issue as well as an educational issue. Please take a moment to check out the link

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Mods- please edit title to say: "OSSM to Possibly Lose Private Donations- Needs Help!"

Martin
04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
title changed. -M

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Thank ya

Midtowner
04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
This is a worthy cause. A good friend of mine used to be in charge of fundraising over there, so consider me sold. OSSM is something we're lucky to have in Oklahoma and if we support it, the people it produces will produce big dividends.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't have the stroke to get some stimulus cash.

BDP
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Good cause.

I just hope we're still allowed to teach science in ten years...

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM

I wonder if we even made a stab at it...

mOKCie
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM

The school has no union contracts and will be shut down before it receives any government funding.

soonerguru
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
The legislature sucks. It sucks worse than ever this year. Lotsa luck getting them to meet their obligations.

AFCM
04-22-2009, 09:56 PM
The following will help clarify issues pertaining to the State's request of federal stimulus funds:

The school has submitted a request to Governor Brad Henry to use federal Recovery Act money to fund the final $3 million. Send Governor Henry an email asking him to include the OSSM dormitory funding in his request for Stimulus money. Whether you agree with the Stimulus Plan or not, Oklahoma will request its share of the funds. Why not use them to fund the dorm expansion of a learning institution with a proven record of success that provides our state with well-educated scientists and engineers.

Tell the Governor what OSSM has done for you, your student or your business. Ask him to include funding for OSSM on his request for Stimulus money. He needs to receive your email as soon as possible but no later than noon on Friday, April 24. You can send him a message to the Governor by visiting www.governor.state.ok.us, and completing the Web form provided for comments.

If you can spend a few more minutes, please send an email to these legislators and tell your story. Let them know you support funding for the OSSM dorm either with Stimulus money or legislative appropriations.

1) Rep. Chris Benge, Speaker of the House chrisbenge@okhouse.gov
2) Rep. Ken Miller kenmiller@okhouse.gov
3) Sen. Glen Coffee, President Pro Tem of the Senate coffee@oksenate.gov
4) Sen. Mike Johnson johnsonm@oksenate.gov
5) Sen. Jim Halligan halligan@oksenate.gov

Act Now! Help Save The Dorm

If you contact the Governor or State Legislators to support this issue, please email us at: savethefunds@supportossm.org to help us gauge the amount of support we are getting.

source: Support OSSM Ten Minutes Can Keep $1.2 Million Dollars from being Lost (http://www.supportossm.org/save-the-funds/)

workman45
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. Hopefully we can all spread the word and drum up more support.

Luke
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
So, is this a public school?

HSC-Sooner
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM

I think so as kids in public and private high schools have to take tests for admission. After tests and interviews, the student can attend and live on campus for free.

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Public magnet school. You have to be accepted and be an Oklahoma resident to attend.

fromdust
04-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I just hope we're still allowed to teach science in ten years...

whats that mean?

AFCM
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
whats that mean?

It means that science is the devil! It's only a matter of time before we purge our schools, hospitals, medical research facilities, science laboratories, etc. of these lies and return to the good ol' days of explaining unknown phenomena by declaring it to be the work of God. Amen!

You can all thank me for diverting the thread; I apologize. Okay, back on topic.

fromdust
04-24-2009, 12:21 AM
It means that science is the devil! It's only a matter of time before we purge our schools, hospitals, medical research facilities, science laboratories, etc. of these lies and return to the good ol' days of explaining unknown phenomena by declaring it to be the work of God. Amen!

You can all thank me for diverting the thread; I apologize. Okay, back on topic.

wow......ok. dont really think that will happen.

Luke
04-24-2009, 06:51 AM

???

Shake2005
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
???

Like the pre-reformation Roman Catholic Church the current Evangelical Christian movement seeks to limit scientific knowledge and research that conflicts with their current understanding of the bible. The battles over stem-cell research, the teaching of (Non)“Scientific Design” in schools, homeschooling and the battle over the validity of global warming research are all evidence of the conservative Christian right battling and often belittling science and knowledge in general.

AFCM
04-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Like the pre-reformation Roman Catholic Church the current Evangelical Christian movement seeks to limit scientific knowledge and research that conflicts with their current understanding of the bible. The battles over stem-cell research, the teaching of (Non)“Scientific Design” in schools, homeschooling and the battle over the validity of global warming research are all evidence of the conservative Christian right battling and often belittling science and knowledge in general.

Thank you.

khook
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
fromdust: Bone up on the reformation..... and then think about if you don't think it can happen.... For that matter even closer to home was the Salem Witch hunts... and then it hasn't been that long ago when there was an event that occured in Germany say around the 1930's.... oh and what about the current Taliban, and how they reform policy around them and get rid of anything they don't agree with. Examine the common thread that runs through all those movements>>>>>>>>religion (have you looked at all the proposed laws from the current Oklahoma Legislature)