View Full Version : Relocate America chooses OKC as 10th best place to live 2009

OkieKAS
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Below are the top 10 places to live in 2009, according to RelocateAmerica.com:

Tulsa
Dallas/Ft Worth
Pittsburgh
Raleigh/Durham, N.C.
Huntsville, Ala.
Houston
Albuquerque, N.M.
Lexington, Ky.
Little Rock, Ark.
Oklahoma City

The entire list can be found at RelocateAmerica.com.

Thunder
04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Tulsa at #1?! That's a frickin joke! OKC is so much better and growing, too.

Jesseda
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
oh god please dont let the tulsans see this, us okc people will never hear the end of this

Thunder
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
oh god please dont let the tulsans see this, us okc people will never hear the end of this

I think it's too late. :ohno:

Platemaker
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Ugg... a friend in Tulsa already called to rub it in.

BDP
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Ha-ha. It's all good. Tulsa needs some love, too.

westsidesooner
04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
I didn't read the article (sorry) so I dont know what they based their list on. Depending on the criteria maybe we should just be proud that Oklahoma had 2 of the top 10 and the region had 5 of the top 10. But yeah, a little friendly poke at Tulsa :poke: they need to be #1 @ something.

Karried
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I believe that Relocate America bases it's rating on people/residents voting for a particular city.

Karried
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
From their Website:

Top 100 Places to Live

Our highly publicized "America's Top 100 Places to Live" recognizes communities nominated by their residents as a “great place to live”, based on details about the neighborhoods, beauty of the area, school performance, recreational activities and economic growth.

I'm still happy that Oklahoma is on the list though. We do have a lot to offer but if Tulsans want to 'rub it in' then refer them to the details of the survey here:

About RelocateAmerica (http://www.relocateamerica.com/about)

westsidesooner
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
From their Website:

Top 100 Places to Live

Our highly publicized "America's Top 100 Places to Live" recognizes communities nominated by their residents as a “great place to live”, based on details about the neighborhoods, beauty of the area, school performance, recreational activities and economic growth.

About RelocateAmerica (http://www.relocateamerica.com/about)

Thats great then...it means we ARE proud. Thats one of the things I love the most about Oklahoma, its people and their pride. Congrats to Tulsa and OKC. :congrats:

venture
04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Pittsburgh? Interesting. Wonder if they are starting to rebound some. Been years since I've been there, and most of the time was just because USAir made me. :)

soonerguru
04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Why would someone want to relocate to Dallas right now? Their economy is in the tank, high crime, terrible traffic congestion, etc. I can certainly understand the other cities, though.

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Why would someone want to relocate to Dallas right now? Their economy is in the tank, high crime, terrible traffic congestion, etc. I can certainly understand the other cities, though.

Guru- you're using logic. The Dallasites just use arrogance in their analysis. Spending 2 hours a day in traffic is apparently a fair price to pay for a Nordstrom's.

okclee
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Dallas is the one that doesn't belong on that list. (been there, done that. )

warreng88
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Here is the Tulsa World article regarding it:

Tulsa World: Tulsa named top place to live (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20090421_298_0_Tulsah822381)

Luke
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM
That's it. I'm moving.

;)

Stan Silliman
04-21-2009, 03:27 PM
This site comes out of Howell, Michigan. Does the site exist because many folks there and nearby are considering re-location?

By the way, on the list of 100 relocatable cities, Jenks, Oklahoma is on the list.
Is there any space left in Jenks? Can you relocate there... without being a recruited athlete, I mean?

PennyQuilts
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I just want to get back home!

CCOKC
04-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Pittsburgh? Interesting. Wonder if they are starting to rebound some. Been years since I've been there, and most of the time was just because USAir made me. :)

I have relatives in Pittsburgh and have been there twice in the last 3 years to see my beloved Steelers play. It has changed a lot since I was a kid. The downtown is very nice and there is a lot to do within walking distance. I also visited my aunt by hopping on the bus. Definitely shows you can have an extensive bus system get you around anywhere you need to go.

soonerguru
04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Little Rock has greatly improved its downtown in the last decade. But if my understanding is correct it has fairly high crime, as well. Actually, Tulsa has struggled with homicide in the last few years, too, although I believe the city is turning the corner for the better.

okcpulse
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Oklahoma, you make me proud. Keep up the kick ass work.

OUGrad05
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Up here in Tulsa we beat you guys at ONE thing and you've got your panties in a wad over it?

don't forget we're all part of the same state, in addition its possible to have two really good cities in a state...

Unfortunately for me OKC is better than Tulsa in almost every concievable category...I miss OKC a lot, especially given hwo fast its changing. But the Tulsa metro as a whole is pretty good place to live.

stratosphere
04-24-2009, 09:31 PM

they have decent radio stations....or at least they used to. And their highways aren't constantly falling apart during rushhour are they? Other than that i really cannot think of anything.. Big D is a nice place to visit but thats it. Far too many people there for my liking. I can always watch Romo and the Cowboys on HD in my living room here in OKC.

okcpulse
04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Up here in Tulsa we beat you guys at ONE thing and you've got your panties in a wad over it?

don't forget we're all part of the same state, in addition its possible to have two really good cities in a state...

Unfortunately for me OKC is better than Tulsa in almost every concievable category...I miss OKC a lot, especially given hwo fast its changing. But the Tulsa metro as a whole is pretty good place to live.

No one has their panties in a wad... just the first few posts were simple predictions that some Tulsans would rub it in... and that's okay.

The rivalry thing... for the most part... is all in fun. Until you tell a Tulsan that OKC will be asking for $80 million for a brand new interchange.

ronronnie1
04-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Guru- you're using logic. The Dallasites just use arrogance in their analysis. Spending 2 hours a day in traffic is apparently a fair price to pay for a Nordstrom's.

I never understood the appeal of Dallas - Just a bunch of suburbs strung together and growing like The Blob. Everyone driving their leased BMW's, and their galleria? Please, what a let down. Even St. Louis feels more like a real city then Dallas.

But I am glad Tulsa made the list. Despite it being bible central and despite it being dead after 5:00 p.m., Tulsa is just so beautiful with its topography, art deco, and its neighborhoods stuffed with beaux art mansions. Such a shame it seems to be on the decline.

BG918
04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I never understood the appeal of Dallas - Just a bunch of suburbs strung together and growing like The Blob. Everyone driving their leased BMW's, and their galleria? Please, what a let down. Even St. Louis feels more like a real city then Dallas.

But I am glad Tulsa made the list. Despite it being bible central and despite it being dead after 5:00 p.m., Tulsa is just so beautiful with its topography, art deco, and its neighborhoods stuffed with beaux art mansions. Such a shame it seems to be on the decline.

Who says Tulsa is on the decline?

OUGrad05
04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
they have decent radio stations....or at least they used to. And their highways aren't constantly falling apart during rushhour are they? Other than that i really cannot think of anything.. Big D is a nice place to visit but thats it. Far too many people there for my liking. I can always watch Romo and the Cowboys on HD in my living room here in OKC.

Tulsa highways are atrocious, especially around the IDL...the number of holes in on/off ramps is disturbing. I drive over a section about the size of a dinner plate each day that is only rebar (sp?) you can literally see teh cars passing under the on ramp...

Tulsa roads in general are worse than OKC's...the really bad spot in okc is the crosstown which is absolutely abhorrent...but as a general rule OKC has better streets.

OUGrad05
04-25-2009, 11:15 AM

I hope a decent mayor gets elected next time but I'm not holding my breath.

We went from lafortune who was corrupt and a joke to taylor who is better but still very corrupt. The suburbs of tulsa are quite nice, we chose to live in a suburb, tulsa proper is appealing but I have no faith in the city right now, that may change in the years ahead and perhaps our next move will be to Tulsa proper, but right now we are loving Owasso.

Thunder
04-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I've drove a lot in Tulsa back in '03-'04 and once or twice each year since then and never encountered such issue with potholes on the highways and streets.

Owasso is a small town, I went to church there, something about Crossroads Pentecostal (cant remember exact name). They have a deaf ministry last I was there.

OUGrad05
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
I've drove a lot in Tulsa back in '03-'04 and once or twice each year since then and never encountered such issue with potholes on the highways and streets.

Owasso is a small town, I went to church there, something about Crossroads Pentecostal (cant remember exact name). They have a deaf ministry last I was there.

Dunno where you were driving but its pretty terrible unless you're on one of the main streets...highways are pretty bad, the new 169 isn't bad but considering its new its a joke really.

BigTulsa
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Dunno where you were driving but its pretty terrible unless you're on one of the main streets...highways are pretty bad, the new 169 isn't bad but considering its new its a joke really.

I'd like to know what part of 169 you consider a 'joke'. 169 isn't that new, considering that the Creek Tpk isn't 169, and 169 as it is right now has been around from 244 to 21st up until the 1970s, in the early 80s it made its way to 51st, then extended to 71st in the very early 90s with the Turnpike being built as an extension in the early 90s. So saying that 169 is new is a misnomer.

169 as a rule south of I-244 is much better than some of the roads of OKC I've been on. The 2 miles south of I244 were widened and repaved two years ago and the potholes on 169 are nearly non-existent.

I-244 just got an asphalt resurfacing, and I-44 from Yale to the Will Rogers Turnpike is still in top condition after the mid 90s widening and resurfacing. Property acquisition and site prep continues on the stretch of I-44 from Riverside to Yale for widening/re-aligning. That's the largest project on the books for the Tulsa area right now at about $360 million and wont' be completed until 2012.

The interior Broken Arrow Expy (US64/OK51) from downtown to about the I-44 interchange could use some work; southeast of that it's in top shape after another mid nineties upgrade and widening.

US75 both north and south could desperately use some work though, and the IDL (Inner Dispersal Loop around downtown) is getting a $75 million dollar overhaul that's been needed for 30 years, including some bridge repairs/replacements. The I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River is considered one of the worst in the state.

OUGrad05
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd like to know what part of 169 you consider a 'joke'. 169 isn't that new, considering that the Creek Tpk isn't 169, and 169 as it is right now has been around from 244 to 21st up until the 1970s, in the early 80s it made its way to 51st, then extended to 71st in the very early 90s with the Turnpike being built as an extension in the early 90s. So saying that 169 is new is a misnomer.

169 as a rule south of I-244 is much better than some of the roads of OKC I've been on. The 2 miles south of I244 were widened and repaved two years ago and the potholes on 169 are nearly non-existent.

I-244 just got an asphalt resurfacing, and I-44 from Yale to the Will Rogers Turnpike is still in top condition after the mid 90s widening and resurfacing. Property acquisition and site prep continues on the stretch of I-44 from Riverside to Yale for widening/re-aligning. That's the largest project on the books for the Tulsa area right now at about $360 million and wont' be completed until 2012.

The interior Broken Arrow Expy (US64/OK51) from downtown to about the I-44 interchange could use some work; southeast of that it's in top shape after another mid nineties upgrade and widening.

US75 both north and south could desperately use some work though, and the IDL (Inner Dispersal Loop around downtown) is getting a $75 million dollar overhaul that's been needed for 30 years, including some bridge repairs/replacements. The I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River is considered one of the worst in the state.I've been here 3 years they repaved 169 just since I moved up here.

It's already noisy and the expansion joints are terrible...169 south of 244 is much better than many of the highways in OKC but its also better than most of the highways in tulsa.

I drive 75 and the IDL everyday, its atrocious...the on/offramps I take for work have massive chunks of road missing with nothing but the rebar (sp?) left...by massive I mean dinner plate size holes...appearantly from talking to buddies at work who come into downtown from all over the metro mmost of the on/offramps to the IDL/interchanges are that way. It is NOT good at all and very hard on our vehicles as you already know.

Drive the new 169 and compare it with new roads in Kansas or Texas and you'll see what I mean...

okcpulse
05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
It's already noisy and the expansion joints are terrible...169 south of 244 is much better than many of the highways in OKC but its also better than most of the highways in tulsa.

Nope. Try Lake Hefner Parkway in Oklahoma City. It continues to be the best highway in the state. Northwest Expressway west of Lake Hefner Parkway? Another good one. Oh, then there is Broadway Extension and I-240 in south OKC. And I-35 in SE OKC to Moore.

And, I-44 in Tulsa that was widened to six lanes.

Please be careful in your comparisons. All of the freeways I mentioned meet Texas and Kansas standards.

BTW, it is now up to ODOT, with a larger budget than in years past, to decide which roads and bridges are in critical need of replacement... no longer up to the local representative. So we will catch up to other states, but it will take time. Be patient.

OUGrad05
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Nope. Try Lake Hefner Parkway in Oklahoma City. It continues to be the best highway in the state. Northwest Expressway west of Lake Hefner Parkway? Another good one. Oh, then there is Broadway Extension and I-240 in south OKC. And I-35 in SE OKC to Moore.

And, I-44 in Tulsa that was widened to six lanes.

Please be careful in your comparisons. All of the freeways I mentioned meet Texas and Kansas standards.

BTW, it is now up to ODOT, with a larger budget than in years past, to decide which roads and bridges are in critical need of replacement... no longer up to the local representative. So we will catch up to other states, but it will take time. Be patient.

NW Expressway is in good shape...Hefner parkway also an excellent road...

Our roads are terrible compared with the roads in Texas overall...not sure why or how you would even dispute that...we have a few excellent roads in the state and a lot of medicore roads and more than our share of garbage roads.

OKC roads in general are better than Tulsa's...

edit: of course it will take time, I wish our citizens would realize that we have a lot of road miles per capita to service and thats part of the reason we have little traffic issues in OKC and Tulsa...but that also means we will require more money going into roads per capita than many other cities and sometimes our antitax stance makes NO sense when it comes to local projects.

okcpulse
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
NW Expressway is in good shape...Hefner parkway also an excellent road...

Our roads are terrible compared with the roads in Texas overall...not sure why or how you would even dispute that...we have a few excellent roads in the state and a lot of medicore roads and more than our share of garbage roads.

OKC roads in general are better than Tulsa's...

edit: of course it will take time, I wish our citizens would realize that we have a lot of road miles per capita to service and thats part of the reason we have little traffic issues in OKC and Tulsa...but that also means we will require more money going into roads per capita than many other cities and sometimes our antitax stance makes NO sense when it comes to local projects.

I dispute it because I traverse Houston arterials on a daily basis. Ever cruised down San Jacinto near the Galleria? I don't know which is worse, San Jacinto or a pot-hole ridden two-lane Oklahoma County road outside of OKC.

While I agree that the Texas highway system is superior to Oklahoma, city arterials in Texas are not. Some are good, most are horrible. Another fact I will point out to many Oklahomans, Texas highways are great, but there is a reason behind that. TxDOT has been overspending on highway construction, and they are worried about going broke before the next fiscal year.

That is why you are starting to see toll roads pop up in Texas. That is also why a lone commuter can use the Katy managed lanes on I-10 as long as they pay with their EZ-TAG. Basically, the I-10 HOV is toll if you commute yourself. It DOES make sense, but TxDOT is trying to make up for a budget shortfall in highway over-spending.

And yes, compared to Tulsa, OKC takes better care of their city arterials.

BigTulsa
05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I dispute it because I traverse Houston arterials on a daily basis. Ever cruised down San Jacinto near the Galleria? I don't know which is worse, San Jacinto or a pot-hole ridden two-lane Oklahoma County road outside of OKC.

While I agree that the Texas highway system is superior to Oklahoma, city arterials in Texas are not. Some are good, most are horrible. Another fact I will point out to many Oklahomans, Texas highways are great, but there is a reason behind that. TxDOT has been overspending on highway construction, and they are worried about going broke before the next fiscal year.

That is why you are starting to see toll roads pop up in Texas. That is also why a lone commuter can use the Katy managed lanes on I-10 as long as they pay with their EZ-TAG. Basically, the I-10 HOV is toll if you commute yourself. It DOES make sense, but TxDOT is trying to make up for a budget shortfall in highway over-spending.

And yes, compared to Tulsa, OKC takes better care of their city arterials.

I lived in Houston for three years; I think you mean San Felipe; not San Jacinto, which is downtown, and not near the Galleria. I lived at San Felipe and Chimney Rock for a time.

Of course this was about 15 years ago, also, but San Felipe was HORRIBLE then.

And of course I lived there before they widened the Katy...that was a nightmare.

okcpulse
05-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I lived in Houston for three years; I think you mean San Felipe; not San Jacinto, which is downtown, and not near the Galleria. I lived at San Felipe and Chimney Rock for a time.

Of course this was about 15 years ago, also, but San Felipe was HORRIBLE then.

And of course I lived there before they widened the Katy...that was a nightmare.

Yes, you're right (slap on the head)... San Felipe. I was down there two weeks ago for Microsoft training, and San Felipe is a disaster. Woodway is another really bad street.

They finished widening Katy, but it is still gridlock. I live in Conroe, and I-45 widening continues. They also widened Rayford/Sawdust, but the contractor should be fined. The concrete surface is rough and uneven.