View Full Version : 23rd Street reviving

Pages : [1] 2

metro
04-21-2009, 08:09 AM
OKCBiz > Investors fight the blight on NW 23 Street, one property at a time (http://okc.biz/article/04-21-2009/Investors_fight_the_blight_on_NW_23_Street_one_pro perty_at_a_time.aspx)

Investors fight the blight on NW 23 Street, one property at a time
Pamela A. Grady

As NW 23 Street, stretching from Interstate 235 to I-44, has deteriorated over the past couple of decades or so, property owners are beginning to take action, as the city does its part.

Oklahoma City Councilman Sam Bowman, Ward 2, says many neighborhoods are in poor condition, and surrounding commercial areas have suffered decades of neglect.

However, he says, things can improve – including property values – with a combined effort from both the city and private sector.

Three years ago, the city put in place a zoning overlay to provide a higher level of use regulations and restrictions, which includes preventing more billboards, to protect areas along the NW 23 Street corridor. While several streetscape projects have been completed, Bowman says many remain underway, including a $2 million project stretching from Villa Avenue to I-44.

“We’re on the fourth section of streetscapes in trying to put together this lineal stretch between I-35 and west of I-44,” he says, adding that much concentration is placed on repairing sidewalks, curbs, street work and lighting.

In addition to city efforts, private investors are taking more of an interest in cleaning up areas along the stretch, as well.

In 2005, Marty Dillon, Mike Dillon, Scott Fife and Terri Sadler-Goad, dba Uptown Development LLC, purchased Tower Theater, 425 NW 23, and adjoining storefront property at the southwest corner of the Jefferson Park historic district. The group paid $512,500 for the 28,000 square feet of mixed-use properties, with hopes of restoring a piece of history on the strip where famed musicians, such as Bo Diddley, once played.

During the last couple of years, they’ve evaluated and rummaged through the properties, clearing debris from what’s soon to be an event center and theater, with retail storefronts and second-floor office space.

NEON SIGN
In 2008, asbestos abasement was completed, and cleanup work is nearing completion on the property’s retail front. Soon, the Tower’s neon sign will be restored, while the city places a curb in front of the theater to keep trucks from hitting its sign. The partners have brought in developer and real estate broker Greg Banta, from Banta Realty Advisors, to further consult the team and handle pre-leasing for the property, which soon will be ready to show.

“I started talking to Greg about a year ago, when he was still working on his Midtown projects,” Marty Dillon says, adding that the group needed someone with Banta’s experience in redeveloping dilapidated properties with historical significance.

The owners say they will be selective with tenants, therefore asking $14 per square foot.

“We want to bring in the types of tenants that will complement the theater,” Dillon says.

Dillon’s own Party Galaxy will occupy 3,000 square feet of space on the upper level, he says, but they also hope to attract “boutique-type” tenants and possibly a restaurant to the retail space fronting the theater.

This group hopes to charge the commercial resurgence of the area, which already has slowly begun with other nearby neighbors.

In 2007, Keith and Heather Paul, owners of A Good Egg Group, purchased a 1,360-square-foot gas station/auto repair shop at 401 NW 23 for $128,000. The restaurateurs – who own Iron Starr Urban Bar-B-Q, Cheever’s Café and Red PrimeSteak – renovated the property and, last year, opened Market C, an upscale market and catering facility, which sells ready-made meal favorites from their restaurants’ menus, meats, side dishes and desserts.

To the west, Realtor Mike Tharasena’s project – 23rd Street Courts – is moving right along.

In May 2006, he purchased several properties along NW 23 Street from longtime owner Kip Curtis. Seeing potential in the neighborhood, Tharasena planned to renovate the bungalow-style buildings and create a courtyard setting. Today, the project is 80% complete, and five of his buildings are occupied with tenants, including the recently opened Cuppies & Joe, a hair salon, a barber shop and professional offices.

“I have two more buildings to renovate before the project’s complete,” Tharasena says. “Right now, I’m just waiting to get the financing.”
As for other properties along NW 23 Street, Dillon says he agrees with Bowman that it’s going to take more private investment to make a difference in the area.

“Obviously, it needs to change hands and get some new life into the area,” he says.

TaoMaas
04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
23rd Street could be awesome. I'm old enough to remember when 23rd was THE place to go for current music with Sound Warehouse and Wilcox Records within short driving distance of each other.

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I know it's a long row to hoe, but I wish they'd do something faster with the Tower Theater. It looks pretty bad right now.

I'm not totally convinced it will be great as an actual theater again, but it COULD fill a niche in OKC that we're missing: mid-sized. (Don't tell me the Bricktown Events Center...that place is soulless. It's better for community events than it is for concerts.)

wsucougz
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
23rd street is a great asset, particularly between I-235 and about Classenish. It has all the makings of a great pedestrian district.

I had always been a bit surprised that one of our deep-pocketed local businessmen haven't taken an active role in its revitalization, with big money pet projects being seen on Western, Nichols Hills, Downtown, Bricktown, A-Alley, and even the Plaza District. $5-10 million more in private investment could do wonders right there.

BDP
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Is it going to be a movie theater? "Event center and theater" leads me to believe that it will be more of a theater venue. But that could be wishful thinking. I'm totally on board with you that it will be better as a mid-sized venue, as that's something we could use. However, I am sure they don't want to limit their leasing possibilities by limiting it to just concerts at this point and most theaters known for concerts are usually available for any kind of event if you're willing to pay for it. So, maybe that's what they mean...

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Is it going to be a movie theater? "Event center and theater" leads me to believe that it will be more of a theater venue. But that could be wishful thinking. I'm totally on board with you that it will be better as a mid-sized venue, as that's something we could use. However, I am sure they don't want to limit their leasing possibilities by limiting it to just concerts at this point and most theaters known for concerts are usually available for any kind of event if you're willing to pay for it. So, maybe that's what they mean...

I'm sure you're right.

soonerguru
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Are they really putting a Party Galaxy in that theatre? I hope I'm just misunderstanding. I could see one down the block but not in the Tower Theatre, right?

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
23rd street is a great asset, particularly between I-235 and about Classenish. It has all the makings of a great pedestrian district.

I had always been a bit surprised that one of our deep-pocketed local businessmen haven't taken an active role in its revitalization, with big money pet projects being seen on Western, Nichols Hills, Downtown, Bricktown, A-Alley, and even the Plaza District. $5-10 million more in private investment could do wonders right there.

As far as I know, Western, NH, Downtown, (Bricktown doesn't count with the effect MAPS had with public money), A-Alley and Plaza never fell into the state of crime and disrepair 23rd has seen in its worst days.

Now, it IS weird when you think about it: a 4-lane, divided street that runs into the Capitol and one of our busiest corridors in I-235 on one end and all the way to I-44, all mixed commercial/retail use the entire way, and it's SANDWICHED between Heritage Hills, Crown Heights, Mesta Park, Edgemere....and it's fallen into disrepair? This is where the fancy markets and boutiques should be for people that live downtown to 50th street.

My guess is about the time it fell into a bit of ghettoy blight is probably the same time as suburban flight and NH became the fashionably wealthy part of town...

striker
04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Are they really putting a Party Galaxy in that theatre? I hope I'm just misunderstanding. I could see one down the block but not in the Tower Theatre, right?

They're talking about party galaxy offices in the 3k office space upstairs part of the building, not the theater area.

BDP
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
This is where the fancy markets and boutiques should be for people that live downtown to 50th street.

I agree with this, too.

I've always thought that from 235 to Western, it would make a great place for some "edgy" boutiques, quirky coffee places and cafes, and really just any kind of "alternative" type retail. I'm thinking like a mini-version or Melrose in LA, the lower Haight in San Francisco, or lower East side about 10 years ago. It actually kind of has the beginnings of that with 23rd st Body Piercing and tatoo, Cuppies and Joe, and some of the thrifty clothing stores.

And, while it has seen better days, I really think its rough edges could actually give it street cred in cultivating an edgy urban feel that isn't quite the manufactured or gentrified direction that downtown is kind of going. I think trying to take it too upscale (at least in image) would be a little misguided. It already has more retail density potential and better setbacks than a lot of other districts going through transformations.

IMO, if they can fill the Tower properties with a focused niche of retail, as well as get the theater up and running, then the next step would be to find a better use for the building currently occupied with the "Going Out For Businesses" furniture store. As much fun as it is to walk around that place, it doesn't do much for the district as a whole.

As pointed out, the strip is a very interesting crossroads between an eclectic mix of the capitol to the east, the Paseo arts district to the north, the Asian and University districts the west, and Heritage Hills to the south with many other historic neighborhoods within reach. Done right and it very well could be the nexus for some of the city's most interesting neighborhoods.

Stan Silliman
04-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Is Kip Curtis still around? He used to have a vintage shop with his mom originally. Kip went to OCU when I did.

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
IMO, if they can fill the Tower properties with a focused niche of retail, as well as get the theater up and running, then the next step would be to find a better use for the building currently occupied with the "Going Out For Businesses" furniture store. As much fun as it is to walk around that place, it doesn't do much for the district as a whole.

I love that store. :fighting3:fighting3

angel27
04-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I hate that store... it offends me whenever I walk or drive by. Broken windows.. dirty crowded windows, no sense of style or "cute" that belongs in that space. 23rd street... just the architecture of the street deserves more than that. That store belongs more in the 10th & Penn warehouse space. I might like it there.

khook
04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I nominate the 23rd street corridor from robinson to classen for the worst street renovation. The median in the center of of twenty third does nothing to help tie 23rd together but creates a huge barrier of getting from the north side of the street to the south side of the street. So if you want a cohesive retail area a giant barrier in the middle doesn't tie it together. It really should have had the trees and plantings along the curb edge.

warreng88
04-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Drove down 23rd yesterday and noticed a new brick structure going up on the SW corner of 23rd and Francis (just west of the quadplexes on the south side of the street.) Anyone know what's going on there? It looks like the property was sold to Ngo Man Cong & Nancy Dinh according to the county assessor in 2008 and the house that was there was torn down.

OKCMallen
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I hate that store... it offends me whenever I walk or drive by. Broken windows.. dirty crowded windows, no sense of style or "cute" that belongs in that space. 23rd street... just the architecture of the street deserves more than that. That store belongs more in the 10th & Penn warehouse space. I might like it there.

It is definitely ugly.

wsucougz
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Drove down 23rd yesterday and noticed a new brick structure going up on the SW corner of 23rd and Francis (just west of the quadplexes on the south side of the street.) Anyone know what's going on there? It looks like the property was sold to Ngo Man Cong & Nancy Dinh according to the county assessor in 2008 and the house that was there was torn down.

I think ODTG mentioned to me awhile back that it's planned to be a jewelry store and that a young architect with some decent ideas is on the job.

One problem, though - unless I'm missing something it appears to be way to close to the street when compared to the other setbacks.

warreng88
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I think ODTG mentioned to me awhile back that it's planned to be a jewelry store and that a young architect with some decent ideas is on the job. Ok, that sounds about right. I thought it was way to small to be a restaurant, store, etc.

One problem, though - unless I'm missing something it appears to be way to close to the street when compared to the other setbacks. I understand. I believe the parking is on the west side of it. I hope it fits in well with the rest of the neighborhood.

Luke
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I like the median plantings and foliage. There are enough stop lights in the area that walkers can cross at many places if they need to. At least that's my 2 cents.

OKCMallen
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I nominate the 23rd street corridor from robinson to classen for the worst street renovation. The median in the center of of twenty third does nothing to help tie 23rd together but creates a huge barrier of getting from the north side of the street to the south side of the street. So if you want a cohesive retail area a giant barrier in the middle doesn't tie it together. It really should have had the trees and plantings along the curb edge.

I disagree. I think the new median helps a LOT.

soonerguru
04-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree with this, too.

I've always thought that from 235 to Western, it would make a great place for some "edgy" boutiques, quirky coffee places and cafes, and really just any kind of "alternative" type retail. I'm thinking like a mini-version or Melrose in LA, the lower Haight in San Francisco, or lower East side about 10 years ago. It actually kind of has the beginnings of that with 23rd st Body Piercing and tatoo, Cuppies and Joe, and some of the thrifty clothing stores.

And, while it has seen better days, I really think its rough edges could actually give it street cred in cultivating an edgy urban feel that isn't quite the manufactured or gentrified direction that downtown is kind of going. I think trying to take it too upscale (at least in image) would be a little misguided. It already has more retail density potential and better setbacks than a lot of other districts going through transformations.

As pointed out, the strip is a very interesting crossroads between an eclectic mix of the capitol to the east, the Paseo arts district to the north, the Asian and University districts the west, and Heritage Hills to the south with many other historic neighborhoods within reach. Done right and it very well could be the nexus for some of the city's most interesting neighborhoods.

Your post is spot on. I've thought the same for years. It has unbelievable potential. And I also agree that its slightly "sketchy" rep is actually a plus.

Kandyegirl
04-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Heya ~

When riding down 23rd a few days ago, I was looking wistfully @ the Tower sign. Hoping it was not gonna be torn down. Reading here that the plan is to renovate it makes me feel so much better!

XO ~
Kandye

Nermel
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Speaking of NW 23rd... I wish they would prohibit left turns between classen & robinson between 7-9am and 4-6pm. like at the intersection with Robinson.

I'd much rather see more dedicated turn lanes and a wider street compared to pedestrian access, which around there seems to be the heaviest between the plasma "donation" center, and the crack houses.

wsucougz
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Speaking of NW 23rd... I wish they would prohibit left turns between classen & robinson between 7-9am and 4-6pm. like at the intersection with Robinson.

I'd much rather see more dedicated turn lanes and a wider street compared to pedestrian access, which around there seems to be the heaviest between the plasma "donation" center, and the crack houses.

What part of town do you live in, Nermel?

Nermel
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
wsu: I live near 23rd & Tulsa... Windsor Hills area...

soonerguru
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Crack houses? Maybe at one time, but I don't think so now. I do recall there was a retailer on 23rd that sold crack out of the back of the store on the alley in the 90s.

warreng88
05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Old apartments find new use as retail, office space
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record May 13, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – When Sam Gresham looks out his office window, he sees equal parts urban decay and urban revitalization.

Gresham, an architect, bought two boarded-up apartment buildings at NW 23rd Street and Hudson Avenue a decade ago. To the north of his office across 23rd is the eatery Cheever’s Cafe and the upscale Market C. On the other two corners are a cracked parking lot, a run-down retail center and an old convenience store. Dividing 23rd is a tree-lined median and streetscape done by the city.Gresham loves the urban spot, and has filled the space in both buildings. His newest tenants are a builder and a hair salon.

When he first stepped into the building at 400 NW 23rd St. in the late 1990s, it was evident that nearly everything would have to be ripped out and replaced. The same went for a smaller building just behind it at 2315 N. Hudson Ave.

Gresham picked up the buildings for about $55,000 and over the last 10 years has put about $400,000 into renovations.

“Everything is new,” he said. “There wasn’t a thing in these buildings that was salvageable.”

One early project was the 2315 building’s second level, which Gresham converted to his own apartment in 2001. In 2003 he moved his office to the second floor of the 400 building.

Gresham lived in the apartment for two years and now leases it out.

All that remains of the old interior of the 400 building is the brickwork from the upstairs and downstairs fireplaces. All of the windows were replaced, but match the originals.

About the time Gresham moved into his office, he was joined on the second floor by his longest tenant, interior designer David Gipson.

Over the past four years state Sen. Andrew Rice and state Rep. Al McAffrey have leased space in both buildings as campaign headquarters. Last year Rice mounted a run for U.S. Senate and occupied the entire lower floor of the 4,332-square-foot building. After losing the race, Rice closed the office late last year.

Since then Gresham has filled that space with a Democratic Party office and the offices of Zeeck Commercial Construction, and Dwellings LLC, owned by Andy and David Zeeck.

Andy Zeeck said he and his brother moved their offices to the building to focus on commercial projects and on remodeling projects in the neighboring Heritage Hills and Mesta Park neighborhoods.

In the 2315 building, Patti Russell opened Wings of Desire in 1,200 square feet at the end of April. The shop is a combination hair salon, art gallery and antique store. She is currently featuring artwork by Oklahoma City artists Alexis Mathis and Eric Saak, in addition to large antique cabinets and antique dishes and knickknacks.

Russell said she moved her shop from Northwest Expressway for one simple reason.

“I’m 51 and I can do what I want to now,” she said.

But Gresham does not credit himself for the area’s slow and steady revitalization. He gives much of the credit to Cheever’s and Market C owners Keith and Heather Paul.

“It was already cool when I showed up,” he said.

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=98599

Pete
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's the before and afters of those two buildings (2315 N. Hudson is just to the south). These are both directly across from Market C and Cheevers, so some really nice renovation jobs in that area:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2709/R043882459001zA.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2709/R043882459001wA.jpg

CCOKC
05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
I really like that building. On the north side of 23rd a few blocks north of Cheevers a developer has taken two old duplexes and made some pretty nice single family dwellings out of them. One is done and I think is still for sale. I visited a few months back on a Sunday at when it was open. He was waiting to sell that one until he finished the one next door. It was nice but a little too big for us at this stage in our lives.

trison
05-27-2009, 02:53 PM
A new restaurant is moving onto 23rd. The building located on the southeast corner of 23rd and Dewey is currently being cleaned up. Chris Lowery is one of the principals of the group opening. I'll post more information when I get it.

Doug Loudenback
05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
It was nice to see this as I drove by today ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_5_28_2009_1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_5_28_2009_2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_5_28_2009_3.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_5_28_2009_4.jpg

metro
05-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice catch Doug. Glad to see the restored sign in!

Pete
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
AWESOME!

Wow, is that good to see. Going to be very cool lit up at night.

Credit to those that have worked steadily on the Tower, as this has been a long time in coming.

warreng88
07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Oklahoma City chefs unveil ‘edgy’ concept

BIG TRUCK TACOS PLANS TO DRIVE ‘STREET FOOD WITH A TWIST’ TO AFTER-HOURS SCENE

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: July 8, 2009

The idea of starting Big Truck Tacos might seem an unlikely venture for Chris Lower, chef at The Metro Bistro and Wine Bar, Cally Johnson, former executive chef at Boulevard Steakhouse and more recently Cheever’s, and Kathryn Mathis, who worked with Lower before moving to Austin, Texas, for 14 years. Mathis and Cally Johnson stand in the kitchen of the future home of Big Truck Tacos. Photo by Steve Lackmeyer, The Oklahoman

Three seasoned chefs with resumes at some of Oklahoma City’s finest restaurants are teaming up ... to start a taco truck.

Read the rest of Steve's article at:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-chefs-unveil-edgy-concept/article/3383720?custom_click=lead_story_title

urbanity
08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Imagine OKC | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12738/a/4545/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAzADgA)

metro
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
This is more of a political move for Skip Kelley than anything.

OKCSC
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
The battle for a revitalized 23rd street is going to be a difficult one because of the crime in the area. I know that Cheever's was repeatedly broken into in their early days but every new business helps cut down on crime.

With regard to the restaurant, I think it could do really well if there was a good bar scene on 23rd, until that develops I hope it can make it.

mmonroe
08-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Is the Tower Theatre going to be like Lyric Theatre?

evh5150
08-29-2009, 04:22 PM
theres a stark difference between simply updating business facades to lure in potential upscale clientele, and gentrifying an area.

if they arent attempting the latter, its a lost cause.

evh5150
08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice catch Doug. Glad to see the restored sign in!

ive always thought the segment of 23rd street with the iconic Tower sign and adjacent buildings next to it looks reminiscent to Universal Studio's backlot. (Think: Back to the Future, Gremlins, etc)

khook
08-29-2009, 04:26 PM
mmonroe what exactly do you mean like Lyric Theatre?

Lyric theatre's plaza theatre location is paid for.... and is used for Lyric Theatre small house productions (seats 250) , Lyric Thelma Gaylord Academy Productions and special events.

what has been discussed for the Tower is to rebrand it as an event place that bands or medium size productions could utilize (more that 250 seats) There is a need in OKC to have venues that are medium in size for groups to develope their audience.

jbrown84
08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
if they arent attempting the latter, its a lost cause.

Why do you say that?

mmonroe
08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
mmonroe what exactly do you mean like Lyric Theatre?

Lyric theatre's plaza theatre location is paid for.... and is used for Lyric Theatre small house productions (seats 250) , Lyric Thelma Gaylord Academy Productions and special events.

Wow, over stretch of what I said.

When I said "like Lyric Theatre" I meant to say that they have similar fronts and they both remind me of old timey theatre spaces. That was not to say that I thought they would be operated the same way or have similar interests.

Doug Loudenback
08-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I noticed yesterday that the marquee part of the Tower sign is now done. It's looking very good. Maybe that's not the right term ... the horizontal part of the sign where text normally goes is what I mean.

trison
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't wait to see the entire project lit up at night. I hear that there are two restaurants that are in serious negotiations for space now. :woowoo: 23rd Street has so much potential!

circled9
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Although it is not on 23rd street, finding a better use of the old May theatre on May Avenue and 17th street would also be great. Actually the entire area around our state fairgrounds could use a facelift. After all, this is one of the few areas that many visitors to our city will see.

jbrown84
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow, over stretch of what I said.

When I said "like Lyric Theatre" I meant to say that they have similar fronts and they both remind me of old timey theatre spaces. That was not to say that I thought they would be operated the same way or have similar interests.

You're post was vague. I was just as confused. He was just trying to answer your question.

Doug Loudenback
09-01-2009, 07:03 AM
I took a few Tower pics yesterday showing the signage progress. See http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/19065-movie-trivia.html

RedDirt717
09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I've always seen 23rd street as a possible goldmine location. I've got kind of an entrepreneurial spirit and have always wanted to start some projects there.

It's like 23rd street is the life blood to so many important and culturally diverse parts of the city: The Asian District, The Capitol, OKCU, the Paseo art district. The architecture is gorgeous, and there is plenty of housing in the area to support business and nightlife. It's always struck me as the type of place that could realistically turn into a "little 6th street" in Austin with it's proximity to downtown and it's historical feel. With the Oxford "School of Rock" going in downtown, 23rd street could turn into a musical Mecca, and combine with the music scenes in both Norman and Stillwater to bring unique Oklahoma music to the forefront of American pop culture.

Maybe we could finally tear down that eye sore of a "gold dome", or revitalize it into a restaurant or something soon.

metro
09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
What's wrong with the gold dome? FYI, it's been restored and it's full of tenants including an art gallery and restaurant for well over a year now.

jbrown84
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry, the gold dome is not going anywhere. There's actually a very popular restaurant IN the Dome. You should check it out.

windowphobe
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
So when do we get around to reviving Northeast 23rd? There's a plan on file, and the world doesn't end at Santa Fe.

City of Oklahoma City | NE 23rd Street Corridor Plan (http://www.okc.gov/planning/ne23/index.html)

Platemaker
09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Maybe we could finally tear down that eye sore of a "gold dome", or revitalize it into a restaurant or something soon.

:doh:

Platemaker
09-02-2009, 07:47 AM
So when do we get around to reviving Northeast 23rd? There's a plan on file, and the world doesn't end at Santa Fe.[/url]

:doh: X2

Have you read the plan? You might notice that the final draft on zoning was only approved August 13th...

Doug Loudenback
09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Here are a couple of pics taken this morning ... lights are coming ON!

Click pics for larger views ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_2009_09_09_1s.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_2009_09_09_1.jpg)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_2009_09_09_2s.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/movies/tower_2009_09_09_2.jpg)

neverontime
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I am very excited about the rehab of this place. As a resident of the area I think that this is going to be just another addition (albeit a big addition) to some of the great things happening in the old uptown/new midtown 23rd Street Corridor. Any speculations on what we will see next in the area?

Does anyone know if Banta has secured any leases for Tower Theater yet?

metro
09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the pics Doug. When are you going to try and sneak in and seek the progress inside?

Doug Loudenback
09-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm trying to do that ... get no one home when I phone the property's website-supplied phone number, get no e-mail answers when I've sent them (2) ... but maybe a way will turn up (hoping).

wsucougz
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
That's bigtime - thx. Maybe the architect Fitzsimmons can get you in.

metro
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Fitzsimmons is my neighbor Doug. Do we need to go over and knock on his door until he answers? haha