View Full Version : Soleil changing to La Baguette

metro
04-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Good move for the Buthions IMO.

Goodbye Soliel, Hello LaBaguette (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2009/04/20/1194/)

tuck
04-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Great news here!!!

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I predict that this move will put it on the CBD map. I never hear anyone saying- let's meet at Soleil for lunch.

metro
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree

Steve
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Why it that? I'm very curious as to what you folks think went wrong with Soleil.

Stinger
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Glad I got by there once to try it. I went for lunch before our opening NBA game and watched the Bucks get off the team bus and check into the hotel.

I guess I should have reviewed the place in the Food Court, but the waitstaff was rude, food was marginal and it wasn't convenient for me to get to it from the northside. That's why it wasn't on my rotation.

Steve
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
The person they have managing the restaurant also manages the club. Do they have the wrong people in charge?

CCOKC
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
It's a funny thing about restaurants, sometimes, you can never really put your finger on what it is that makes it successful or not. Soleil has good food and is pleasant inside and I personally love a place where I can "people watch". But it was never one of my favorites as La Baguette for me and my family. The funny thing is I would prefer the downtown version given a choice of the same food. I think it is strange to be one of the only ones eating in a restaurant. Something psychological that makes me think the place just isn't that good. My husband does not like how close the tables are at Soleil but has never mentioned it at La Baguette. Somehow it is more charming there I guess.

mecarr
04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Why it that? I'm very curious as to what you folks think went wrong with Soleil.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too expensive. Too stuffy.

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Steve, JMHO- Too expensive, minimal foot traffic, confusing to park for anyone that never comes to the CBD, ineffective marketing, it's in a hotel (I know, sounds weird, but I think that impacted it as opposed to being stand alone).

foodiefan
04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I predict that this move will put it on the CBD map. I never hear anyone saying- let's meet at Soleil for lunch.

au contraire. . .I've done it on several occasions. . .

Steve
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
So foodiefan, what, if anything, went wrong here?

dismayed
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Is this the place that has XO Lounge inside it? Any word if they are keeping that around?

dismayed
04-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Surely it isn't about pricing? I just checked their website and their dishes are around $30. That doesn't seem bad for a high end restaurant to me. In contrast two people can easily spend over $200 on dinner, drinks and dessert at Nonna's and it seems to be doing just fine.

As someone that goes to these nicer restaurants on occasion, I know that I've been meaning to go for some time but have just never made it. Part of the problem is I never even think about the place. Do they do any marketing at all outside of an occasional 2-inch square in the Gazette?

BoulderSooner
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
i found soleil to be a very good place I will say that is was not on my regular rotation like red prime or deep fork ... the few times i went there i found the food and service to both be top notch

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
au contraire. . .I've done it on several occasions. . .

You're the exception, it would seem.

metro
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
i found soleil to be a very good place I will say that is was not on my regular rotation like red prime or deep fork ... the few times i went there i found the food and service to both be top notch

Agreed, I think alot of it was do to poor marketing.

tuck
04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I think the city just didn't get their concept. The cuisine is French inspired with a an emphasis on seafood. How many French restaurants are there in OKC, 1-2, maybe. This concept would have done much better in a larger city with much more walking traffic.

Changing the name is a great move, but they will really need to pick-up their marketing efforts. I know I will go more often now.

foodiefan
04-22-2009, 07:23 PM
So foodiefan, what, if anything, went wrong here?

Not sure. . .it served my purposes very well. . .I'm thinking Tuck nailed it. . .the general public just didn't get their concept. And. . . perhaps a more "casual" venue (and a name most will recognize) will be the answer.

foodiefan
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
You're the exception, it would seem.

Well. . . I guess I am!! (Sorry . . one too many glasses of wine with dinner!!)

dismayed
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
If that is true, then I find it very sad that this city can't support just one fine French cuisine restaurant. God forbid a place open up where you can't wear flip flops and cut offs in the place.

mecarr
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
My wife ate at La Baguette today and had the poached eggs. She really liked it. I think it cost around $9.

progressiveboy
04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
If that is true, then I find it very sad that this city can't support just one fine French cuisine restaurant. God forbid a place open up where you can't wear flip flops and cut offs in the place.

Agree! "Most" people in OKC just are not ready for trying new cuisine. They just don't open their minds to try new things. This restaurant would be more suited for cities like Chicago, New York, Boston, more established, deep monied pocket cities. Even in my beloved Dallas, this concept would work very well. :LolLolLol

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
What exactly are you laughing at progressiveboy? Many "risk-taking" concepts have done very well in OKC. It has nothing to do with how deep the pockets are or your presumption that we won't try "new" things (because French cuisine is so new :rolleyes: ). The lack of French cuisine in OKC means that if it's done right and marketed properly, it will do well. New restaurants are just as likely (or more likely) to fail in your "beloved" Dallas. In fact, my favorite place to eat in Dallas did just that. It was a little Mexican-fusion place similar to Iguana. Food was excellent, ambiance as well. It just didn't work for whatever reason.

edcrunk
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
seeing that i am employed by SOLEIL and i dj at XO LOUNGE... i figure i should bless everyone with my $.002 cents.
btw, ROBBIE is the general manager and he is over both XO and SOLEIL.

the problems with soleil were...

1. MARKETING: the buthions could have done a lot better in that regard. they rarely frequent the restaurant but their friends routinely ask if they are around.

2. MANAGEMENT: the current night manager was promoted from within and has a passion to see SOLEIL succeed and has significantly raised the bar on service and the little details.

3. APATHETIC or RUDE SERVERS: the service now is what we take pride in and is back to the level of what one would expect at a fine dining establishment.

4. MENU: we switched to the LA BAGUETTE menu (actually we offer a little broader menu then the bistro) and it has paid off! with more economically priced selections and a full menu offered for the room service... i've seen an increase in sales in both areas. all the room service that is now being routinely ordered is making me run my arse off.

since DEVON assumed ownership of the restaurant and hotel.... they've brought us more business as well (due to putting their out of town clients / employees up in the hotel and the fact that their employees receive a discount).

i've been at soleil 6 months and have seen a dramatic turnaround. when i am not running room service i assist the servers and enjoy serving our guests and pride myself on the high level of service that i offer.
so please, come check us out!!! i might pour your water or give you a baguette.

o0 ED CRUNK 0o

come see me DJ at KAMP'S on wednesdays, PARALOGIA on thursdays or XO on fridays.

find me on facebook "edcrunk77@yahoo.com"

progressiveboy
04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
What exactly are you laughing at progressiveboy? Many "risk-taking" concepts have done very well in OKC. It has nothing to do with how deep the pockets are or your presumption that we won't try "new" things (because French cuisine is so new :rolleyes: ). The lack of French cuisine in OKC means that if it's done right and marketed properly, it will do well. New restaurants are just as likely (or more likely) to fail in your "beloved" Dallas. In fact, my favorite place to eat in Dallas did just that. It was a little Mexican-fusion place similar to Iguana. Food was excellent, ambiance as well. It just didn't work for whatever reason.

i'm kinda laughing at my self. It's because I drank the Dallas koolaid and I just love going on about my "beloved" Dallas. Just trying to be humorous, that's all.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Ah. Well you definitely drank the kool-aid. :wink:

CCOKC
04-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Ed, nice to hear about Soleil.

PS Nice write in the Gazette!

JuJuBeans
04-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I actually wish there were more French restaurants here, it's my favorite cuisine. I liked Soleil what a shame..

jbrown84
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
I liked Soleil what a shame..

It really won't change much, other than the name.

tburn
04-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I love the look of the Colcord
have a limited budget for eating out but Soliel was on my list to try!
I'm happy with another La Baguette as well.

is it still hip hop music at XO?
I can't go there.
I'd prefer big band / swing / jazz piano bar type.
seems the clientele for the hotel & restaurant would be happy as well.

edcrunk
04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
PS Nice write in the Gazette!

THANK YOU so much!

CCOKC
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Would it be weird for a 42 year old mom to go to Dance Robots Dance. And furthermore would it be even weirder to take my 18 year old daughter. We love to dance but mostly just turn on music in our house and dance like fools. Might be fun to get to go to a club together. I did notice in the aricle that 18 years olds are allowed.

OKCMallen
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Would it be weird for a 42 year old mom to go to Dance Robots Dance. And furthermore would it be even weirder to take my 18 year old daughter. We love to dance but mostly just turn on music in our house and dance like fools. Might be fun to get to go to a club together. I did notice in the aricle that 18 years olds are allowed.

Do whatever you want! I thin OKC has a problem with self-imposed stigmas on whether people "should" or "shouldn't" do something.

If it's something you want to do and are interested in it, DO IT and don't worry about what others think or say is "weird." :congrats:

edcrunk
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM

as long as you don't think that it is weird for a 36 year old still playing records and refusing to grow up.
we love anyone who is willing to step out and dance like a fool. i am not picky as to who is on my dancefloor... i'm just glad they are dancing, and i am not in my bedroom playing records for my kitties and dog.

right now is a perfect time to come out since we just changed locations... there are tons of new people coming now and the cliques have had a wrench thrown in them. yes, there are some elitist snobs... but for everyone of them there are 5 really nice approachable persons. i invite my parents out routinely and they have always been well received.

edcrunk
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
If it's something you want to do and are interested in it, DO IT and don't worry about what others think or say is "weird." :congrats:

amen!

warreng88
04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
It really won't change much, other than the name.

That was my question. What exactly is going to change? Just the name or some menu changes as well?

metro
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Do whatever you want! I thin OKC has a problem with self-imposed stigmas on whether people "should" or "shouldn't" do something.

I don't think OKC has this problem with stigmas. I think OKC has a stigma with thinking we have stigmas. It's all because most natives are insecure with who we are, that's all. Reality =/ perception in this community.

edcrunk
05-01-2009, 03:26 AM
That was my question. What exactly is going to change? Just the name or some menu changes as well?
the menu has already changed, but has a broader
selection than the bistro. check the last post on page 1 and i have all the details nd more info there.

metro
05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=99036)

Soleil becomes La Baguette
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record May 27, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – French eatery La Baguette has returned to downtown Oklahoma City after a 14-year absence.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-la%20baguette%2005-27-09.jpg
Robby Vernon, general manager of La Baguette restaurant at the Colcord Hotel. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

But it has been there, in a sense, since 2006.Michel and Alain Buthion own La Baguette Bistro on N. May Avenue and the former Soleil in the Colcord Hotel.

When the Colcord opened as a boutique hotel in 2006, the Buthion brothers opened Soleil as the hotel’s restaurant and the XO Lounge in the basement. They have re-branded Soleil as La Baguette Restaurant and offer a menu identical to their flagship store.

The Buthions had a branch of La Baguette in the Journal Record Building in the mid-1990s that served lunch. It was open for two years prior to the Murrah federal building bombing, which damaged much of the neighboring Journal Record Building. The restaurant did not reopen.

Now with the return of La Baguette to downtown, the restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, and provides room service for the hotel.

“La Baguette as a name is a lot more recognizable and has a large following,” said Robby Vernon, general manager and food and beverage director for the downtown store. “It’s an Oklahoma City staple.”

And while the interior looks the same as when it was Soleil, Vernon said it was like opening a new restaurant.

The restaurant did not close during the transition. Instead, the Soleil signage on the windows was replaced subtly with the red La Baguette logo, and in the evenings the restaurant ran many of the La Baguette signature dishes as specials. The La Baguette menu items are each a few dollars cheaper than the Soleil offerings.

This week La Baguette is in full swing, and Vernon, who also managed Soleil, said he hopes the restaurant’s existing clientele and new customers will try the new downtown menu, which includes fresh oysters. The oysters, available only at the downtown La Baguette, are a nod to the former oyster bar in the Colcord lobby.

Ideas for Soleil’s future were similar to the May Avenue eatery’s, including a deli and pastry counter.

“We thought, ‘Why don’t we just make it easy and have a second La Baguette?’” Vernon said.

Since the quiet transformation to La Baguette, Vernon said he has seen a string of familiar faces from the May Avenue store that had not frequented Soleil.

“We see a lot of our regulars coming down for special occasions,” he said.

Kim Searls, marketing director with Downtown OKC Inc., remembered the old La Baguette downtown, and said it is good to have the restaurant back.

“The La Baguette brand carries a lot of weight and has a really loyal following,” she said. “The name change and the menu change will be good for the restaurant and the Colcord.”

Vernon said it will be business as usual at the XO Lounge.

The La Baguette kitchen is headed up by Shawn Davidson and Jeannoel Felisot, who will both serve as chef de cuisine.

“The only thing that’s really changed is the menu,” Vernon said.