View Full Version : Blood Type Testing

Zoedith
04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know how you can get either a cheap or free blood type test done?

Here is the story:

My current doctor wants me to get a Rhogam shot because I am o negative. My last doctor had my husband blood typed instead of me getting the Rhogam shot. My husband is also o negative, so the Rhogam shot is unnecessary. I think it is ridiculous to get the Rhogam shot when I don't need it. My husband is not from oklahoma and has never donated blood in our state. I can get my blood tests from OBI, but Missouri doesn't appear to give you history online in the same manner. His birth certificate does not state his blood type. My husband is also on heart medication and therefore cannot go donate blood right now to get the free blood type test. We are a little strapped for money, and the Rhogam shot would be covered by insurance (but I don't want it). His doctor said it would cost him $130 to get a blood type report. My doctor said she would waive the shot if we can get a preoffesional blood type test on him.

Is it possible to get a blood type test from OBI without donating?
Can you get a free blood type test at the health department?
Are there any cheap licensed places that can do blood testing near oklahoma city?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karried
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Oklahoma Blood Institute - Blood Facts (http://www.obi.org/bloodfacts/psa.html)

Might have him go for a PSA test.. $25 over age 30 -I'm sure they would give him the blood type info.

How about a new Life Insurance policy? You can get bloodwork done when they come to your house - usually no obligation.

PennyQuilts
04-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Is this for pregnancy or what?

Zoedith
04-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes, the Rhogam shot is for my pregnancy.

CG23
04-21-2009, 08:49 AM
You should be able to request the medical records from your last doctor - the one who had your husband tested. There should be no need to have him tested again, if he has already been tested. The old doctor's office may charge a small fee, but can fax the results directly to your new doctor.

fuzzytoad
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
DIY Blood Typing Test Kit (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8f3d/) - $8.99

Zoedith
04-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I thought of that, but I didn't think my Doctor would accept the DIY Kit.

Luke
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Rhogam sounds like a Lord of the Rings character.

/off topic

Zoedith
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks CG23. I contacted the old DR office and they faxed it immediately for free! I did however find out that you can get blood typed from OBI for $47 dollars if anyone was wondering.

PennyQuilts
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Good deal and congratulations on the baby!