View Full Version : New at www.okchistory.com: Capitol Hill's Katz Drug Store

Steve
04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Hopefully some of you can fill in the gaps in this story. (http://www.okchistory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:katz&catid=42:places&Itemid=78)

papaOU
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Hopefully some of you can fill in the gaps in this story. (http://www.okchistory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:katz&catid=42:places&Itemid=78)

Two things I remember: 1) They had a great lunch counter. Why did they call it a lunch counter when they served breakfast.
2)My two older cousins purchased a Katz punching bag. Had a weigheted bottom and the bag itself was a blowup plastic. The image on the thing was the Katz cat. Sparring with the bag while my older cousin was "working" Mr. Katz. Next thing I know the feline head butted me and I ended up with a bloody nose. I was preschool age.

Which was first the Katz Kat or Felix the Cat. They are the spittin image of each other.

Generals64
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
I remember the Capitol HIll story very well...It had a mezzanine where a lot General merchandise was sold....They had agood Lunch Counter and they made something "Phosphate". Can't remember the rest...The mezzanine was over about 1/2 of the store... and I can remember saving the straws so we could run upstairs and blow the paper off of them.....Like we were really something. But, if you needed something from a Drug Store Katz Drug had it....Always...

Redskins/General
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I remember the Capitol HIll story very well...It had a mezzanine where a lot General merchandise was sold....They had agood Lunch Counter and they made something "Phosphate". Can't remember the rest...The mezzanine was over about 1/2 of the store... and I can remember saving the straws so we could run upstairs and blow the paper off of them.....Like we were really something. But, if you needed something from a Drug Store Katz Drug had it....Always...
Good ol' Cherry Phosphate, hard to beat!! I wonder if anyone sells them today???

Generals64
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Good ol' Cherry Phosphate, hard to beat!! I wonder if anyone sells them today???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much, I could not remember the whole name....Shaw Drug use to make them also.....I don't even think Braum's makes them though. There is complete Fountain (in a Drug Store) in Nichols Hills plaza (best burger in town) we should go up there and see....let me know,,,

Redskins/General
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Thank you very much, I could not remember the whole name....Shaw Drug use to make them also.....I don't even think Braum's makes them though. There is complete Fountain (in a Drug Store) in Nichols Hills plaza (best burger in town) we should go up there and see....let me know,,,
You don't even know me and your asking me out on a lunch date???? I'm easy, but not that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generals64
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
You don't even know me and your asking me out on a lunch date???? I'm easy, but not that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hey, if you're part Redskin what can I say?????

papaOU
04-23-2009, 12:06 AM

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? NICHOLS HILLS PLAZA!!!

You need a nap!! Doing something so foolish could qualify you for a DIRT NAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohno:

:bedtime: Bed time for you Bonzo........................

papaOU
04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
You don't even know me and your asking me out on a lunch date???? I'm easy, but not that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ex was a California girl that was sssssssooooooooo easy she ran around town on roller skates and a mattress tied to her back........ :tongue:

Generals64
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? NICHOLS HILLS PLAZA!!!

You need a nap!! Doing something so foolish could qualify you for a DIRT NAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohno:

:bedtime: Bed time for you Bonzo........................

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 22222222222222222
don't knock it til you try it......But, back on topic tell ab out the Katz Drug Store in Capitol Hill....Back door entrance also, there was an old BLACK Door with a glass in it and a Screen door....You couldn't get by with that in today's world. Armed security and Steel doors with everything in the safe....Upstairs if I remember kinda had a bunch of just odds and ends doo-dads....there were only stairs with a middle landing and then straight up if I remember right. If we could get Red/Gen to curb his attitude he has probably been in that store a million times.....and probably paid for SOME of the items he got there.....Huh?...It was a pretty handy store to go to.....