View Full Version : The new Gardenridge

rondvu
04-16-2009, 07:08 PM
What's up with Gardenridge? I was there the other day to shop the garden department and I saw panties and undewear and well as books, books and more books. I don't know if it was just me, but the store looked half empty and a bit untidy on the outside. Is something happening (like going out of business)? :sofa: If you need dorm furniture this would be the place to shop. Also I only saw two cashiers in the whole store, no other employees in site?

bluedogok
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
My wife said the one down here in Austin has changed a bunch like that as well.

metro
04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Where is the new Gardenridge? Or are you talking about the existing one on I-40 and MacArthur?

Charlie40
04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
What's up with Gardenridge? I was there the other day to shop the garden department and I saw panties and undewear and well as books, books and more books. I don't know if it was just me, but the store looked half empty and a bit untidy on the outside. Is something happening (like going out of business)? :sofa: If you need dorm furniture this would be the place to shop. Also I only saw two cashiers in the whole store, no other employees in site?

Panties are ok by me

rondvu
04-17-2009, 04:30 PM
It's the same on on I-40.

sweetdaisy
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I was in there back in Feb and they had just started their changes. Apparently, they're trying a "new concept" in their store, whatever that means. Personally, if I wanted to shop somewhere with that crappy, dirty, dollar-store feel, I'd go to Walls or a Dollar store.

Yes, I'm quite bitter about the changes. :(

nik4411
04-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Panties and underwear at gardenridge?? Haha, why?

Thunder
04-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I was there recently. The quality of the store went down the drain. (Management, I hope you're reading this!) It looks like they think that people would rather shop thrifty because of the economy, but in my opinion, it was a very bad move by the store.

Jon27
04-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Do they still have stuff for your garden there?

Thunder
04-18-2009, 11:38 AM
They do, but seem to be a lot less.

Luke
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, considering Garden Ridge has nothing to do with gardens or ridges, they are simply following in the footsteps of their self-created randomness by selling panties.

westsidesooner
10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I went by there today looking for a gift and a card for a friend. They have ruined what use to be one of my favorite places to shop for gifts. And they no longer sell cards and birthday material. I cannot imagine gardenridge surviving another year with the merchandise that they now offer. Like others mentioned there is underwear, purses, fabrics, and wall art. Thats about it.

I did find something to but surprisingly then got to the front of the store to pay and had to stand in line for 20 minutes.........on a tuesday afternoon!!!
There is only one line now for all the registers (they only had two open) so just imagine what the wait time will be closer to the holidays. Good ridiance Gardenridge....I'll miss you.

R.I.P.

bluedogok
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
My wife actually went to the one here in South Austin over the weekend to see if they had started carrying any holiday stuff and noticed some of the former items seem to be trickling back into the store like party goods (plates, cups, decorations, etc.). She found some stuff there and said it is not what it was but seems to be moving slowly back to it. Maybe the new owners are starting to figure out what store they actually had.

mugofbeer
10-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Reminds me of the decision to change the formula of Coca-Cola. Management forgot who they were and the niche they fill.

oneforone
10-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Most stores try new concepts from time to time to see if they can gain new customers. It's known fact that if you stay stale and do the same thing over and over again eventually it leads to your demise.

Then again.. I have always thought GardenRidge was miscellaneous goods store that sold anything and everything for the home and home decorations. I have never thought it was a Pier One or a Bed Bath and Beyond.