View Full Version : OKC Boating (& Fishing)

04-16-2009, 02:01 PM
So we got the kids a cheap fishing pole set for Christmas, and that has exploded into lots of lures and now a 'boat'. It's a small inflatable boat from Bass Pro or Academy, but it has a small electric motor (trolling?), and it the size of a small jon boat when inflated (about 8' long 3.5' wide)

1) Does this have to registered with the city/state somehow?
2) Where can I go? I've been on crystal Lake, but where else? River, South Lake park, Hefner, etc?

Anything else I need to know?


04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I have no clue but imagine this would be a good start:

fishing (

Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities - Oklahoma Boating License Laws and Safety Guide (

04-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks, the Handbook site looks interesting, skimmed over the wildlife one.

I also found the "close to home" info and the tax commission Boats & Outboard Motors (
That says
All boats, with a few exceptions, used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on the waters of this State, are required to be titled and registered annually.

So I guess I need to go to a tag agency to see what the exceptions are.


04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Looks like any vessel going on public waters needs to be registered.

Luckily it's $1.00 per $100 of purchase price, so for my expensive boat $3.00 and no need to register a trolling motor. :)

I'll ask there, but any have a list of waters I can or can't boat in? I know Dolese is a no, Crystal Lake is OK, Overholser is OK, but I'd be scared in my little boat on that large lake, afraid the wind would blow me to far that my battery would die before I could get back to shore!

04-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Lake Eufaula

04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Draper and Dirtybird are both ok. I imagine any body you see motrs on, you'll be fine. i wouldn't get a trolling motor very much off shore at all. After all, it's whole point is to let you move in slowly and more quietly to shallow areas at/near the shoreline.

04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Bring a backup paddle and a whistle. Both can be quite handy if your battery dies. I think they're actually required, along with a fire extinguisher.

04-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Visit THIS ( page on to read some of the fishing regulations and download the 2009 OKC Fishing Regulations brochure (

Visit THIS ( page on to see a list of the City's "Close to Home" Fishing waters. You'll also see a link on that page that tells you where you can buy permits.

Boating is allowed on the following City-based waters:

Crystal Lake
Lake Draper
Lake Hefner
Lake Overholser
Oklahoma River - boat ramps located at SW 6 and Byers, Exchange Avenue (south end of Exchange Bridge) and SW 15 & Portland, East of Portland Bridge on 15th.

All boats are required to have both State registration and a City boating license (City license $5/day or $25/annual). Likewise, a State Fishing License and City Fishing Permit (City permit $3 day/$15 annual) are also required.

To request a copy of the 2009 Oklahoma City Regulations brochure via mail, you can call 297-2211.

05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I finally got time to go to a tag agency. Started filling things out. And he said I can't believe this, even tho you have a reciept for $239, the OTC computer says it's woth $1101! So 3.25% excise tax (on top of the 8% sales tax all ready collected) + the reg fee of now $12 not $3, plus City waters fee of $25, looks like I'll just be boating in private waters...