View Full Version : Any Northside Memories??????

Pages : [1] 2 3

Generals64
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey you guys from the Northside of OKC do you remember anything about your past in the Greater OKC Area.....?????

Prunepicker
04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey you guys from the Northside of OKC do you remember anything about
your past in the Greater OKC Area?

I was originally a northsider then a southsider then a northsider, again.

My southside buddy and I cruised the northside more than the southside
when we were southsiders.

papaOU
04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Well I have always been a southsider but have a few memories of the northside. Someone would take us down to The Oklahoman late Saturday afternoon. A manager would take us to areas in okc to sell the early addition of the Sunday Oklahoman on street corners. I was one of the four that was left at Northwest Highway and Penn. The manager would come by every once in awhile to see if we need more papers. Would get home about 2:00 am Sunday morning. I don't remember how much we made per paper but that corner was great for tips.

Steve
04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Here goes. But I'm not as old as some here:
Riding my bike to Woodward's Hobby Shop, the original one at Hefner and May, and being able to buy a model plane kit "on credit." The old-fashioned drug store soda fountain at Quail Plaza. Me and a few friends having the entire Quail Twin theater to ourselves during a summer afternoon viewing of "A Bridge Too Far." Special evenings out at Steak'n'Ale. Working at Braum's. Traveling along the original two-lane Lake Hefner dam road. Crystal's Pizza. My Pie Pizza. Shotgun Sam's Pizza. Whoa, that's a lot of pizza ... Ordering via phone at the table at Across the Street (does anyone have photos of this place?). Playing racketball where the light house is now located. Playing in Quail Creek (the actual creek) much to my mom's dismay. Those creek excursions included brothers Mike and Kevin Calvey (Kevin, the former legislator now running for Congress).
Bowling at Heritage Lanes, rollerskating next door.

PennyQuilts
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Painting the Graffiti Bridge.
Hanging out at Penn Square before it was covered.
Split T
Yeah, I loved Shot Gun Sams.
Riding my horse under the underpass (beneath I35) to ride over by Frontier City.
Going to the Cowboy Hall of Fame every year on a field trip.
A & W
Shepherd Twin Theatre
Magic Pan
Starwind when it was on Western.
Stealing streetsigns. Ahem. Not stop signs or yield signs.
Going to the Arts Festival every year.
VZDs
That ice cream parlor in Shepherd Mall and always wondering why they had two TG&Ys in the mall
The monkey ship at the Zoo
Sleepy Hollow
The Capital before the Dome

That is a start.

Generals64
04-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Painting the Graffiti Bridge.
Hanging out at Penn Square before it was covered.
Split T
Yeah, I loved Shot Gun Sams.
Riding my horse under the underpass (beneath I35) to ride over by Frontier City.
Going to the Cowboy Hall of Fame every year on a field trip.
A & W
Shepherd Twin Theatre
Magic Pan
Starwind when it was on Western.
Stealing streetsigns. Ahem. Not stop signs or yield signs.
Going to the Arts Festival every year.
VZDs
That ice cream parlor in Shepherd Mall and always wondering why they had two TG&Ys in the mall
The monkey ship at the Zoo
Sleepy Hollow
The Capital before the Dome

That is a start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you go you Northsiders...this is how it is done...join in on the fun and relive your past as many of us have...Don't forget the "Shoot Out" at the old Bixler's/ Sugar Shack....scared the Crap out of me !!!! Even missed the shot on the pool table...Hard to do when you are under the table....Even the Southsiders enjoyed parts of North OKC.....Now, there wer a few make out spots over there...Huh ECO??????

BB37
04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Friday nights going to football games at Taft stadium in the fall, then to Shotgun Sam's afterward (back when Northwest Classen had a winning football team -- that should really date me).

Shepherd Mall at Christmastime.

The old Sears store at NW 23rd and Penn (especially at Christmastime!)

The tornado that went up May avenue between NW 30th and 36th.

The fireworks stands at NW Highway and MacArthur.

Wedgewood Village Amusement Park.

How's that for starters?

Generals64
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Friday nights going to football games at Taft stadium in the fall, then to Shotgun Sam's afterward (back when Northwest Classen had a winning football team -- that should really date me).

Shepherd Mall at Christmastime.

The old Sears store at NW 23rd and Penn (especially at Christmastime!)

The tornado that went up May avenue between NW 30th and 36th.

The fireworks stands at NW Highway and MacArthur.

Wedgewood Village Amusement Park.

How's that for starters?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I had forgotten about that Tornado....I remember the houses blown apart over by Mayfair Shopping Center....There was a Gazebo dead center on May Ave.....Gosh that was neat....

Prunepicker
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I had forgotten about that Tornado... I remember the houses blown apart
over by Mayfair Shopping Center... There was a Gazebo dead center on May
Ave... Gosh that was neat...

Was that the tornado of '70? If so it knocked the tar out of the Dodge
dealership on 39th.

Prunepicker
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Penn Square at Christmas before it became a stupid mall. That place had
class, even if downtown moved out there.

Remember Blue 3? Yellow 1?

We almost bought the property at NW Hiway and Mac in the mid 60's. They
wanted $10,000. Dad thought it was too far from town.

Generals64
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Was that the tornado of '70? If so it knocked the tar out of the Dodge
dealership on 39th.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't remember the year, I do remember the damage though.....It was tough....

BB37
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't remember the year, I do remember the damage though.....It was tough....

Yep, it was 1970; my junior year at NWC. It barely missed the school.

I remember there was a taco restauraunt (Taco Boy) at around 34th and May that was destroyed by that twister. The reason it stands out was the owners had taken out an ad in the NWC yearbook, but by the time we got the yearbooks, the restauraunt was no more.

OKCisOK4me
04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
My memories only go back to the early 80s, so here you go. Only two for now:

The pig at the top of 50 Penn Place when it was a bank.

Playing putt-putt off of 39th St. with my dad. I would climb over the orange painted railing and go play on the railroad tracks between 39th & 36th St!

Oh and the big red artistic statue out in front of Quail Springs Mall in the pit.

So there's my three...

Generals64
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
My memories only go back to the early 80s, so here you go. Only two for now:

The pig at the top of 50 Penn Place when it was a bank.

Playing putt-putt off of 39th St. with my dad. I would climb over the orange painted railing and go play on the railroad tracks between 39th & 36th St!

Oh and the big red artistic statue out in front of Quail Springs Mall in the pit.

So there's my three...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Northsider....you left yourself wide open:.....Prunepicker. what was that girls name that was on the top of that north side bank....Gotta raze you on that one bub...Hey...come on down southside this Saturday and I'll buy you a hot dog and a root Beer...Coit's 25th & S. Western 1:30 p.m. Generals64...

Prunepicker
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
... Prunepicker. what was that girls name that was on the top of that north
side bank... Gotta razz you on that one bub...

You've got me on that one. Give a hint. Which bank or street location?

FritterGirl
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I'll just borrow some from Steve (I graduated from HS with Mike Calvey), and some from ECO. Here are mine - in no particular order.

My early(ish) years:

Penn Square before it was covered - shopping at John A. Brown's, Rothschilds, and eating at Val Gene's cafeteria (see below).

Northside cafeterias: Queen Ann (next to Founder's Tower), Lady Classen (approx. 66th and N. May) and Val Gene's @ Penn Sq.

The original movie theater at Grand Blvd. and May - can't think of its name. I saw the original 101 Dalmations there (my first "theater" movie), then Soundtrack, then Peaches music?? (or was that on 63rd Street), then it was another music store before it finally closed for several years.

Tammy Lynne's and the Village Buggy stores in the little strip center just north of Grand on May. (Where Ruth's Sweete Justice is now).

The original French Market Mall, when it really was a mall and had a movie theater.

The pool at Ross Park (NW 62nd and Villa)

The original restaurant on the top of the Founder's Tower - pre-Nikz. I just remember running around up there as a little girl to take in the view.

The middle(ish) years:

Magic Pan - I LOVED the Magic Pan.

Butterfield's restaurant at NW Expy and 63rd. Was this the place that had those ice cream concoctions such as "The Kitchen Sink" and "Cart Before the Horse?" You'd order either, and they'd ring an alarm bell. Something like 24 scoops of ice cream in the "Kitchen Sink," and it was served in, well, a kitchen sink. Seems like this was a party kind of place.

The old Oklahoma City Tennis Club (now Lighthouse), where I spent day after day after day during the summers. I owe my future skin cancer to that place, and the fact that we didn't exactly use sunscreen back in those days.

North Park Theater - Friday the 13th (the original, original) Standing in line for 5 hours to see either "Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi."

Quail Twin Theater

Playing in Brush (not Quail) Creek, getting muddy head to toe in an attempt to catch crawd-dads.

4th of July fireworks at Quail Creek CC and the QC 4th of July parade. They don't do fireworks anymore because of the development along the west side of the golf course.

High School (ish):

Painting the Graffiti Bridge on Western - and I still have the painted sweat pants to prove it. Go Irish!

Going to the "boondocks," now Silver Tree addition, to hang out on weekend nights.

There were a few other HS hangouts - one place off of Memorial, I think, and another in the Lake Hefner area, a bit south of where East Wharf is now. Back then, it was nothing but empty fields.

Dakota's restaurant on the NE corner of NW 122 and May. Best cheese sticks EVER.

Split T - oh yes!

The original Full Circle Bookstore (wasn't it in Northpark, or was that another locally-owned bookstore).

That's about it for now. I'm sure others will spark some more memories.

Prunepicker
04-15-2009, 09:41 PM
The original movie theater at Grand Blvd. and May - can't think of its name.
Peaches music? (or was that on 63rd Street).

The original restaurant on the top of the Founder's Tower - pre-Nikz. I just
remember running around up there as a little girl to take in the view.

The theater was Lakeside. After it closed Sound Warehouse moved in. I
worked at Peaches for a little while. It was at 63rd & May where Akin's is
now.

The original restaurant on top of the Founder's Tower was the Chandelle
Club. In the 70's it changed to The Eagle's Nest.

OKCisOK4me
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Northsider....you left yourself wide open:.....Prunepicker. what was that girls name that was on the top of that north side bank....Gotta raze you on that one bub...Hey...come on down southside this Saturday and I'll buy you a hot dog and a root Beer...Coit's 25th & S. Western 1:30 p.m. Generals64...

?????????

papaOU
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Arnela. She was the middle suckling of the pig Arnold, who was on top of 50 Penn Place. He got her the job the swine.:kicking:

Tell we Southsiders any memories you have of the southside. Might want to go to one of the threads though. If we have Capital Hill, Grant and S.E. sharing we can tolerate some Northsiders. Just remember, it's all in fun!

P.S. Beware of Prunepicker!! He's kinda' touched in the haid' :tiphat:

solitude
04-16-2009, 01:26 AM
There you go you Northsiders...this is how it is done...join in on the fun and relive your past as many of us have...

There are actually several mega, mega threads about OKC memories that are almost exclusively northside memories started way before the new southside members ever signed up at OKCTalk. I mean some are several years old and have hundreds and hundreds of posts. You might say northsiders wrote the book on memory threads at OKCTalk. Lots of duplication in those old threads though - but super fun to read.

PennyQuilts
04-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Painting the Graffiti Bridge on Western - and I still have the painted sweat pants to prove it. Go Irish!

Yeah! Did you know they changed Clancy so he wouldnt' carry a club? Ridiculous.

PennyQuilts
04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
They still have the milk bottle on Classen. And that weird helmet shaped building on 30th (30th?). There was a hamburger place right next to it with something like 19 cent burgers. Or .25 - somthing like that.

I used to go with my best friend to wash her volkswagon at the carwash on Classen near thirtieth and we'd hit Baskin Robbins and Pizza Inn on that strip. I'd get a scoop of vanilla and daquairi [sic] Ice - when I was a kid I thought it had alcohol in it and that was my way of being bad.

Yeah, Shepherd Mall at Christmas - our chorus always performed.

MadMonk
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Here's a few.

Crossing 39th St to go to lunch at a little pizza place (can't remember the name right now)

Going to the little book store just off campus from PC Central Jr High to load up on pop rocks and gum and "pitching pennies" on the side of the building.

Riding my bike to the little two-screen theater that was in Westpark mall.

Sneaking into the drive-in theater on NW expressway (next to the Hertz building) by jumping down from the retaining wall on the east side.

Exploring "five mile" and the Stinchcomb wildlife refuge.

Exploring the trench between Overholser and Hefner.

papaOU
04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
There are actually several mega, mega threads about OKC memories that are almost exclusively northside memories started way before the new southside members ever signed up at OKCTalk. I mean some are several years old and have hundreds and hundreds of posts. You might say northsiders wrote the book on memory threads at OKCTalk. Lots of duplication in those old threads though - but super fun to read.

But those earlier ones don't count. These are for fun. The others were part of therapeutic regression. Here! Take some of these purple things and lay down for awhile.

Generals64
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
?????????

sorry guys...you can't figure out what an old man is trying to say...Just a pun...Ha-Ha....The PIG on top of the bank???what was the girl's name????Sheesh.....

Generals64
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Great...Ya'll come to the nostalgia threads....Our old thread was 81 pages long...35,000 views and and over 2000 replies......After it was closed we have received over 1,700 views.....HmmmmmThanks Northside for helping us get started....

papaOU
04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
When I went to CHJH I was a member of choral music and glee club. Around Christmas we always sang at Shepherd Mall. Sang at NW Classen one spring but i am not sure why.

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
They still have the milk bottle on Classen. And that weird helmet shaped
building on 30th (30th?). There was a hamburger place right next to it with
something like 19 cent burgers. Or .25 - somthing like that.

I used to go with my best friend to wash her volkswagon at the carwash on
Classen near thirtieth and we'd hit Baskin Robbins and Pizza Inn on that strip.
I'd get a scoop of vanilla and daquairi [sic] Ice - when I was a kid I thought it
had alcohol in it and that was my way of being bad.

Yeah, Shepherd Mall at Christmas - our chorus always performed.

Hey I lived on 29th and Classen. You could see the Blue Goose from my
porch.

OMG! Do I know YOU? ACCCCK!

At any rate, I don't know anything about the weird helmet shaped building
around 30th and Classen. Nothing like that has ever existed.

Are you thinking of the church on NW 36th and Walker?

Shepherd Mall was soooo dull. But they had an awesome daughter. She
was a super babe. Much like you, I think.

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's a few.

Crossing 39th St to go to lunch at a little pizza place (can't remember the
name right now)

Going to the little book store just off campus from PC Central Jr High to
load up on pop rocks and gum and "pitching pennies" on the side of the
building.

Riding my bike to the little two-screen theater that was in Westpark mall.

Sneaking into the drive-in theater on NW expressway (next to the Hertz
building) by jumping down from the retaining wall on the east side.

Exploring "five mile" and the Stinchcomb wildlife refuge.

Exploring the trench between Overholser and Hefner.

Good grief! You're just a kid! By the way that drive-in was the Cinema-70!

PennyQuilts
04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey I lived on 29th and Classen. At any rate, I don't know anything about the weird helmet shaped building

Yup, you're right - it was 36th and Walker. I thought it looked like a helmet.

My girlfriend lived on 35th and Blackwelder - NE corner.

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Yup, you're right - it was 36th and Walker. I thought it looked like a helmet.

My girlfriend lived on 35th and Blackwelder - NE corner.

Of course I'm right, this just worries the heck out of me...

35th and Blackwelder? NE corner?

I don't want to know...

Really?

I don't want to know anymore...

help...

papaOU
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
When I went to CHJH I was a member of choral music and glee club. Around Christmas we always sang at Shepherd Mall. Sang at NW Classen one spring but i am not sure why.

N.W. Classen trip was for all-city.

papaOU
04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey I lived on 29th and Classen. You could see the Blue Goose from my
porch.

OMG! Do I know YOU? ACCCCK!

At any rate, I don't know anything about the weird helmet shaped building

Are you thinking of the church on NW 36th and Walker?

Shepherd Mall was soooo dull. But they had an awesome daughter. She
was a super babe. Much like you, I think.

If you could see the Blue Goose from your porch then you were a hop, skip, and a jump from the Free Spirit!:ohno:

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Who remembers Ned's?

How about the Golden Pheasant. I think they were a 24 hour restaurant, but
it wasn't intended to be. We'd call at 1am and they'd still be open.

papaOU
04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Who remembers Ned's?

How about the Golden Pheasant. I think they were a 24 hour restaurant, but
it wasn't intended to be. We'd call at 1am and they'd still be open.

There was a "New Age" shop in the same shopping center that The Blue Goose was in. I can't think of the full name but it was _______ Wind!

PennyQuilts
04-17-2009, 02:59 PM
StarWind.

papaOU
04-17-2009, 03:03 PM
StarWind.

When I was in high school I bought an eyeball ring there. A glass eye set in silver.

PennyQuilts
04-17-2009, 03:11 PM
When I was in high school I bought an eyeball ring there. A glass eye set in silver.

Oh yes, you could get some fine items. Eventually, they moved up north and got all fancy schmancy with an Egyptian decor. Don't know if they are still there. Nothing beat the charm of the original, to my way of thinking.

papaOU
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Oh yes, you could get some fine items. Eventually, they moved up north and got all fancy schmancy with an Egyptian decor. Don't know if they are still there. Nothing beat the charm of the original, to my way of thinking.

I agree!!

Steve
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Fritter, you're thinking of Bollingers Book Store. Didn't think it was special at Northpark, but their store across from Papa Dio's was great. An early tease of what was to come with Barnes and Noble, except it was better than Barnes & Noble. B&N killed it by buildings stores north and south of it on May Avenue.

TOWNHERO
04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I grew up on the south side. I graduated from Capitol Hill in 1970. But I worked on the north side at the Humpty's on 23 & Portland, 23rd & Rockwell and the one on 30th and May near NWC. The best memory I have of the north side is I met and married my late wife of 26 years. She was a graduate of NWC in 1971.
She lived on 25th and Drexel. My senior year in H. S. I spent more time there then I did at my own house. I can remember when they built I-44, right there on Grand. We had a great make out spot and when they started building, they destroyed it.
I remember the 1970 tornado, I was at her house when it hit, because she had a basement and we were in it.

papaOU
04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Has Classen Blvd. always had that name or was it a different name and changed later?

PennyQuilts
04-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I grew up on the south side. I graduated from Capitol Hill in 1970. But I worked on the north side at the Humpty's on 23 & Portland, 23rd & Rockwell and the one on 30th and May near NWC. The best memory I have of the north side is I met and married my late wife of 26 years. She was a graduate of NWC in 1971.
She lived on 25th and Drexel. My senior year in H. S. I spent more time there then I did at my own house. I can remember when they built I-44, right there on Grand. We had a great make out spot and when they started building, they destroyed it.
I remember the 1970 tornado, I was at her house when it hit, because she had a basement and we were in it.

So sorry you lost your wife. She was too young, clearly. I can tell you miss her.

TOWNHERO
04-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks East coast Okie
It's been a long time. I live in Edmond now, but have to go to the city several times and sometimes I have to go by places I can remember we would hang out together with her friends from NWC. There not there now but I still remember them. Her friends were mostly from NWC or the northside, and they couldn't understand why she was hanging out with a southsider. HAHAHA
There use to be an italian place across the street north of NWC that had the best pizza'a. What was it's name? We use to go to Shot Gun Sam's a lot.
She didn't have a car, so sometimes she would borrow mine (it was a 69 Chevy Nova SS) to school. If I needed one I drove my dad's. We use to go to a Mexican Place, I think it was on 39th Expressway. I can't remember it's name. But they had these flags on the table to raise when you needed something.
One time we got busted making out by the lake patrol at lake Hefer. Up on the bridge. It scared the crap out of us.
When we first were married, we lived in a duplex off of 16th and Woodward. Rent was like $75.00/month.
East coast Okie, where are you from from the east coast?

Pstmstr
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
My first job at 7-11 at about NW 100th and Western. Cruising 39th on the weekends. The original Johnnie's Charbroiler. Cutting class at John Marshall to go fishing.

papaOU
04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks East coast Okie
It's been a long time. I live in Edmond now, but have to go to the city several times and sometimes I have to go by places I can remember we would hang out together with her friends from NWC. There not there now but I still remember them. Her friends were mostly from NWC or the northside, and they couldn't understand why she was hanging out with a southsider. HAHAHA
There use to be an italian place across the street north of NWC that had the best pizza'a. What was it's name? We use to go to Shot Gun Sam's a lot.
She didn't have a car, so sometimes she would borrow mine (it was a 69 Chevy Nova SS) to school. If I needed one I drove my dad's. We use to go to a Mexican Place, I think it was on 39th Expressway. I can't remember it's name. But they had these flags on the table to raise when you needed something.
One time we got busted making out by the lake patrol at lake Hefer. Up on the bridge. It scared the crap out of us.
When we first were married, we lived in a duplex off of 16th and Woodward. Rent was like $75.00/month.

The Mexican place was Casa Bonita!! Same company had Crystals on 74th and Penn.

PennyQuilts
04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Northern Virginia - husband works in Washington, DC. I used to but after 911 I decided I'd rather work a few miles further out. We've got a place in OKC and plan to move back home as soon as we can figure out how he can transfer (or retire).

TOWNHERO
04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Where in Northern Virginia? We lived in Woodbridge from 1983 to spring 1990.

TOWNHERO
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The Mexican place was Casa Bonita!! Same company had Crystals on 74th and Penn.

That's it. Forgot about Crystals. Senior moment here!

Prunepicker
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
The Mexican place was Casa Bonita!! Same company had Crystals on 74th
and Penn.

She's talking about a Mexican restaurant. Casa Bonita was something else.
They didn't even have onions. OY!

I'll never forget eating there once, it may have been the only time. There
was this Middle Easterner - probably an Iranian since it was in the early 70's -
singing Spanish Eyes on a Japanese guitar in what was mistaken to be a
Mexican restaurant. It was very educational. LOL

papaOU
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Don't remember the OKC one having it but one in Tulsa and in Denver had an area you walked through with a tropical setting. On this man made cliff men would dive into the pool of water below. This went on day and night.
Maybe the Mexicans were the cliff divers and the kitchen help was Iranian. All supervised by an Italian woman with a long, thick and jet black mustache.
All were exchange students at Bishop McGuinness.

Generals64
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't remember the OKC one having it but one in Tulsa and in Denver had an area you walked through with a tropical setting. On this man made cliff men would dive into the pool of water below. This went on day and night.
Maybe the Mexicans were the cliff divers and the kitchen help was Iranian. All supervised by an Italian woman with a long, thick and jet black mustache.
All were exchange students at Bishop McGuinness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you taking tonight?...Red, White, Blue, Purple...what color????

NativeOkie
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Northside memories,
let me see I was born on the southside then Dad got a Good job. Just kidding.
Northside life would have been perfect with Dodson's up there.
I remember Coits, Crystals etc. on northside.
Across the street, ordering on the phone, you would get the drink called the 400 (chocolate milk on ice).
They also had spaghetti red, topped with chili and cheese.

Every spring the sand bass would run in Overholser first then Hefner it used to be deeper.
We would sit on the rocks till late in the evening catching them and jump on the bikes and head home at dark.
Wow, how safe was the city back then?

Does anyone remember thousands of baby toad frogs early in the summer on everyone's lawn? My neighbor and I would paint them with testers model paint for ID purposes.
Mine had silver legs.
Paint bought at TG&Y.

One last one fireworks stands, and bottlerocket wars.

Okay I will think of more later.

papaOU
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you taking tonight?...Red, White, Blue, Purple...what color????

Yes............

papaOU
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
One last one fireworks stands, and bottlerocket wars.

We used to go to dirt road south of downtown air park. Step Off so many paces and have roman candle fights. You could turn sideways but could not move from the spot you started on.
Bottle Rockets were fun if you let the fuse burn down so far and then throw them into the creek.

At times we would take cats and .....................................

Prunepicker
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Northside memories,
let me see I was born on the southside then Dad got a Good job.
Just kidding.
Northside life would have been perfect with Dodson's up there. I remember
Coits, Crystals etc. on northside. Across the street, ordering on the phone,
you would get the drink called the 400 (chocolate milk on ice). They also
had spaghetti red, topped with chili and cheese.

Every spring the sand bass would run in Overholser first then Hefner it used
to be deeper. We would sit on the rocks till late in the evening catching
them and jump on the bikes and head home at dark. Wow, how safe was
the city back then?

Does anyone remember thousands of baby toad frogs early in the summer
on everyone's lawn? My neighbor and I would paint them with testers model
paint for ID purposes.

Mine had silver legs.

Paint bought at TG&Y.

One last one fireworks stands, and bottle rocket wars.

YOU'RE 'JES A KID! I thought you were normal.

As far as Holdhercloser (aka Overholser) is concerned, the sand bass would
run in May but the Hyrids (inter-bred mules aka as stripers and sand bass)
ran all the time. They still do.

Hefner is Crappie Heaven! Man, er girl, I used to catch 2 or 3 dozen a
night when I fished the stalls.

Texhoma is the place for sand bass. Holdhercloser is okay.

That spaghetti was Cincinnati Chili.

You're still 'jes a kid. I thought you were normal.

Dangit.

Make that Double-Dangit...

NativeOkie
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Define Kid prune.

We used to catch crappie along the rocks at Hefner.
The sand bass I caught were pre Hybrid days
We used to hunt ducks at Overholser as well.

papaOU
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
YOU'RE 'JES A KID! I thought you were normal.

As far as Holdhercloser (aka Overholser) is concerned, the sand bass would
run in May but the Hyrids (inter-bred mules aka as stripers and sand bass)
ran all the time. They still do.

Hefner is Crappie Heaven! Man, er girl, I used to catch 2 or 3 dozen a
night when I fished the stalls.

Texhoma is the place for sand bass. Holdhercloser is okay.

That spaghetti was Cincinnati Chili.

You're still 'jes a kid. I thought you were normal.

Dangit.

Make that Double-Dangit...

Were those stalls in the men or ladies latrine...........

Holdercloser is best place in OKC for fishin'..............

T Bird if your lookin' for catfish...........the best to eat...........

CCOKC
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey Frittergir, I just read your post and if you graduated with Mike Calvey you were a year behind me in school (if it is the same Mike Calvey).

Generals64
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Were those stalls in the men or ladies latrine...........

Holdercloser is best place in OKC for fishin'..............

T Bird if your lookin' for catfish...........the best to eat...........

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
You're A Sicko...Only someone from Capitol Hill would think of the stalls being a toilet.........Grant guys used to have cherry Bomb fights.....Man, I'd love to have a box of those now....Probably end up in Jail though....How about those lady fingers.....How many could you pop in the palm of your hand?????be honest now....